Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
My trip out on the Selway Bitterroots a few years ago

Short distance from Big Fog Mtn Trailhead (Canteen basin i think)

Still snow along the crags in early July

We hiked off trail through boulder fields, following the spine of the crags. We went around the back peak in the center of the image below and scaled down a steep draw into this bog (the draw is obscured by the foreground mountain on right). This is the lowest of Lower Three Links lake. We hiked a longass way back up the opposite side of the bog to get to the more pristine Upper Three Links Lakes, but it was completely snowed in so we turned back and had to set up camp in the dark in a bog, exhausted.

Much cleaner, much nicer uppermost lake in Lower Three Links.

Apparently this is a pretty good area to do amaeture rock climbing, we ran into a group with an instructor on top of Jesse Pass

On top of Jesse Pass, about to say goodbye to Lower Three Links Lakes. Apparently if you hike down far enough there is a hotspring (Stuart Springs) that eventually meets up with the trail that runs along the upper Selway River. Maybe an adventure for another time.

From off of Jesse pass we set out for Cove Lakes, I didn't take many pictures here because the forest service clearly had not cleared the trail in a number of years. We lost the trail and spent a lot of time cutting through dense brush, hugging the treeline and generally being miserable. Remember when the Forest Service used to maintain their trails? Guess if you want to preserve the forest you got to keep people from enjoying it. On a side note they have still Fog Mountain Road gated (was there last weekend) for some reason so you can't even get to the trailhead (end rant). We found the last mile of the trail and made it to Cove, but I didn't take any pictures as again we were loving exhausted. I snapped this at dawn as we left Cove, for some reason I never pictured the two lakes. Ah well.

The last day was pretty uneventful. I hiked into Cove lakes from this path a few years ago and I named it "Forever Hill" because it was basically a full day of hiking up one large hill to get to Cove. A bit easier to head down Forever Hill than up. I snapped this photo still near the top, looking out towards the Elk City.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Willfrey posted:

Remember when the Forest Service used to maintain their trails? Guess if you want to preserve the forest you got to keep people from enjoying it.

Probably more that they don't have the money and man power to do as much as they used to.
I grew up right near there but we never went to the Bitterroots much that I remember...did more of what's Salmon-Challis and Frank Church now

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Probably more that they don't have the money and man power to do as much as they used to.
I grew up right near there but we never went to the Bitterroots much that I remember...did more of what's Salmon-Challis and Frank Church now

Yeah i probably should have left that part out. I grew up in Lowell and returned to live in the area 6 years ago and it's pretty sucky when you can't get to the places you did as a kid. I just remember being excited to get out the first year I moved back and running into gate, after gate, after gate.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Maroon Bells in Aspen around the 4th of July:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Willfrey posted:

Yeah i probably should have left that part out. I grew up in Lowell and returned to live in the area 6 years ago and it's pretty sucky when you can't get to the places you did as a kid. I just remember being excited to get out the first year I moved back and running into gate, after gate, after gate.

It's kinda crazy, back in the day my dad worked for the forest service and they'd fully staff remote ranger stations and all kinds of poo poo. Now maybe you have one ranger who hangs around there up a bit and all the buildings were converted first to fire fighter lodging/training and now kind of to temp housing for whatever group needs something at the time

re: pics I did a couple night trip in the Hoover Wilderness a couple of weeks ago, I just need to upload some of the pics

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Did a long day hike in the Rawah wilderness over the weekend. 16 miles in a day. Here's my favorite resulting pic. The original pano shot is something like 31k x 10k pixels.

Wait what's that little black thing sticking out of the rocks on the right

OH SNAP PIKA PHOTOBOMB

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Not the greatest quality but I love the picture and the memory of it.
Taken rafting last year, on a beach deep in the canyon of the salmon river accessible only by raft/boat. We watched the the moonlight creep down the mountain behind us before it shone down on the beach. It was a very bright, surreal and cold light. I was also stoned out of my gourd

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
These tiny "lakes" can be found all over the place in Finland, basically old sand pits that have been dug out and then got deeper than the ground water. This one has got fish implanted in it to keep the water fresh, it's really nice to swim in, clear all the way to the bottom, which is never deeper than to my shoulders.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Typically my outdoors photos are hiking etc but yesterday I got a once in a lifetime opportunity. My friend is a professional pilot for private jets and does seaplane stuff part time. He said with the downturn in tourism, the boss wanted to get some new marketing shots of the planes for web/social use that they'e been putting off for years. My wife and I just had to act like tourists and be people props for some of the photos. DONE.

We left from just south of Seattle, flying with two planes in formation in order to get shots of the plane in action. At times, we were ten feet from one another. We flew up to the San Juan islands, stopped at Sucia in a hidden beach cove for a few hours, stopped in both Roche and Friday harbors and then flew back during sunset. It was awesome. I was watching for whales, saw a bunch of wildlife on one of the more secluded islands. It was a great time.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

San Juans

Looks like an awesome trip! My uncle has a bungalow on Decatur Island, the San Juans are pretty badass, lots of memories ocean kayaking to Center & Trump island

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

A couple pics from Upper Lena Lake in the Olympics. Of course there were beautiful sunny days before and after my visit, but I kinda dig the quieting effect of the low clouds.

SuicidalSmurf fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 25, 2020

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Checked out a plane monument in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, about 45 minutes east of San Diego. It's slowly coming back into itself after the Cedar Fire in 2003 destroyed a lot of the park.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Walking some fire service tracks in Brisbane.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Diablo lake in the northern Cascades of Washington.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dang I have decades of photos to put in this thread

arches nat't park

outside Arches nat'l park

badlands nat'l park

The "bean" sculpture in downtown Chicago, by the river

Dinosaur nat'l monument, "sound of silence" trail

Goblins state park, Utah

Grand canyon nat'l park, north rim

Little Bear Lake, outside Yellowstone

Mendocino, CA

On a trail near Mendocino

Mt. Jefferson (right, background) as seen from nearby nat'l forest land, 1 day before the eclipse

Navajo Nat'l monument

Japanese garden, Portland OR

A little city park near the shoreline, Providence RI

Yellowstone nat'l park

Zion nat'l park

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 28, 2020

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Tried to pick some highlights of the 2010s. Things have dropped off because of kids, but hoping to get back out some as they get older.

Kyoto, Japan from Diamonji-yama, June 2011

Waimea Canyon, Kaui'i, Hawaii, July 2011

Kalalau Trail, Kaui'i, Hawaii, July 2011

Honopu Ridge Trail, Kaui'i, Hawaii, July 2011

Ralston Peak, Desolation Wilderness, California, July 2011

View from Mount Osceola, White Mountains, New Hampshire, September 2011

Guadalupe Peak, Guadalupe Mountains NP, Texas, December 2011

Hunter Peak, Guadalupe Mountains NP, Texas, December 2011

Cleary Summit, Alaska, March 2013

White Mountains from Cleary Summit, Alaska, March 2013

Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, AUgust 2013

From West Bond, White Mountains, New Hampshire, September 2013

Glenmalure, County Wicklow, Ireland, November 2013

Glenmalure from flank of Lugnaquilla, County Wicklow, Ireland, November 2013

From of Lugnaquilla, County Wicklow, Ireland, November 2013

Maroon Bells, Colorado, June 2014

Independence Pass, Colorado, June 2014

Three Apostles from side of Huron Peak, Colorado, June 2014

From Summit of Huron Peak, Colorado, June 2014

La Plata Peak from Mt Elbert, Colorado, June 2014

Mt Elbert from Leadville, Colorado, June 2014

Pyramid Peak Hike, Desolation Wilderness, California, July 2015

Lake Aloha from Pyramid Peak, Desolation Wilderness, California, July 2015

Franconia Ridge in Distance from Side of Mt. Washington, White Mountains, New Hampshire, January 2017

Presidential Range, White Mountains, New Hampshire, January 2017

Mt Washington from Mt Eisenhower, White Mountains, New Hampshire, January 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

My picnic spot this afternoon

Bow Lake, Banff National Park

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

The Aardvark posted:

Every January I like to overnight on Rabbit Peak or Villager Peak, which are on the southern end of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument, just west of Salton Sea.

These are from going to Villager in 2019.

I love this area, we usually spend a good bit of time winter camping in and around ABDSP. We’ve done a Smoketree and a few of the wash trails but never made the full climb.

:hmmyes:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ill have to dig up my old photos but this past weekend Mt. Rainier was gorgeous!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

My picnic spot this afternoon

Bow Lake, Banff National Park

Gods I love Banff/K-Country.

My campsite at Black Rock Mountain in the Ghost last weekend:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Gods I love Banff/K-Country.

My campsite at Black Rock Mountain in the Ghost last weekend:

Very nice! I was just hiking south of there today up CMC Valley.

You hear any of the coverage of how random camping is trashing Bighorn? poo poo seems off the hook

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Have been doing a lot of walking in the hills close to home because of covid restrictions. It's been p nice.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Huashan hosed me over because, I get there, and they so "no foreigners allowed on the mountain now. Coronavirus." gently caress them, first of all it's a mountain. A giant mountain. Second of all, the borders been closed for months. If I'm a foreigner here obviously I've been here this whole time. If anything I'm less likely to have been anywhere else than a Chinese person.

So I called up the other "five sacred mountains", and Hengshan in Hunan (there are two Hengshans, the other one would have let me in too because it's not very developed) said no problem and my trip to Western China turned into a trip to Southern China.

It was no Huashan but it was still nice. It was a small holiday so the temples had a lot going on, and I got to see a statue of Laozi.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Did some light hiking with the missus at Mt. Rainier. Too many people (then we remembered it was a Saturday) but managed to get a bit of distancing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Medicine Bow Peak on Friday with a couple of friends

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Very nice! I was just hiking south of there today up CMC Valley.

You hear any of the coverage of how random camping is trashing Bighorn? poo poo seems off the hook

Yeah I've heard. Was looking at heading to Abraham Lake but it sounds like it's just mounds of garbage all over the place this summer unfortunately.

The travel ban seems to have really brought out the worst of Alberta's trailer trash campers, groups pulled two huge dumpsters of garbage off the trails at the Ghost and McLean Creek on a couple consecutive weekends.

Content: we did some car camping along the Palliser in BC this weekend, it was absolutely epic. First time out with the RTT and it was a game changer for my wife particularly who has never gotten along with ground tents. 35C but the river was nice and cold so it was manageable.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
some crested butte from a few weeks ago

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Withnail posted:

some crested butte from a few weeks ago

hey

nice butte

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Crossposted from Hiking/Backpacking thread.

Just got back from 4 days in goat rocks wilderness in Washington (33 miles or so). We started at Lily basin, went to goat lake, camped in cispus basin and wound up in walupt lake via the PCT. Beautiful views of Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens etc. Great hike.

Fixed the timg tag.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 4, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
For those of us downloading on a data plan, please use timg instead of img, thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mayveena posted:

For those of us downloading on a data plan, please use timg instead of img, thanks.

timg resizes on the screen, but you still download the whole image so it uses just as much data.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

timg resizes on the screen, but you still download the whole image so it uses just as much data.

Even if you don't click on the image? I don't see how that can be. If they put the image as timg, then I see a thumbnail. You're saying the entire picture downloads when the thumbnail is shown? If you click on the image, absolutely, but people should have a choice about that without downloading the whole thing.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

Even if you don't click on the image? I don't see how that can be. If they put the image as timg, then I see a thumbnail. You're saying the entire picture downloads when the thumbnail is shown? If you click on the image, absolutely, but people should have a choice about that without downloading the whole thing.

Notice how clicking a timg instantly embiggens in without any download time? Timg is a client-side resizing. Pretty sure of this because my rural download speed is rear end and the thumbnails take a while to generate. Also, not to be a dick but, it's a SA frickin photo thread of outdoorsy stuff better believe we got high res up in here

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah TIMG is just using style on the page to set an image display size. The full image is downloaded.

HOWEVER

Imgur has secrets! You can take an Imgur image URL and append a letter to the filename, and it'll download a resized version of the image.

For example:
Here's an image I posted earlier.
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxz.jpg[/img]
If I append an "m" to the filename, like so:
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxzm.jpg[/img]
it downloads only a "medium" sized version:

I can also use an l for large, h for huge, etc., and I can combine it with TIMG:

code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxzh.jpg[/timg]

So you can simulaneously show clickable thumbnails, and limit the maximum size of the image. That's a nice thing to do in normal threads. This is what each one specifically does:

s = Small Square (90px square)
b = Big Square (160px square)
t = Small Thumbnail (160px on one dimension)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320px on one dimension)
l = Large Thumbnail (640px on one dimension)
h = Huge Thumbnail (1024px on one dimension)

Those last four definitely preserve aspect ratio. The first two force a square, like this (s used here):

That said: this is a photo-posting thread specifically for photos, and in my opinion it's reasonable to expect folks want to see the full image size maybe? 1024 is quite small on my monitor, I want to be able to see people's 8k pixel wide photos.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 5, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK so it was fooling me :) Oh no, full sized should be presented for sure. It was just weird not to see the thumbnail. I'll just make sure I'm on my home wi-fi when I visit the thread.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

First time out with the RTT and it was a game changer for my wife particularly who has never gotten along with ground tents. 35C but the river was nice and cold so it was manageable.

Big time agree. This is my second year since getting a roof tent. Yours is very nice, I am considering getting a massive sized roof tent that could fit my whole crew. CVT has one that should fit everyone. The thing holding me back would be the ~$3500 cost for the behemouth.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Big time agree. This is my second year since getting a roof tent. Yours is very nice, I am considering getting a massive sized roof tent that could fit my whole crew. CVT has one that should fit everyone. The thing holding me back would be the ~$3500 cost for the behemouth.

Yeah we basically just looked at the price as "well we can't do any other travel for the next 12 months anyways". CVT is super popular around here, as is Treeline Outdoors. I sprang for the hardshell just for ease of use but your money certainly goes further with a softshell and some of them are super nice!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Got up to Bald Mountain located off of the Mirror Lake Highway in Utah. These are taken at about 11,000 feet above sea level. Pretty neat place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Poopelyse posted:

Medicine Bow Peak on Friday with a couple of friends

Oh poo poo I was just up there this past Friday. That's a fun hike.