Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I figured this thread could be a place to discuss how best to build the TGO community up and get some activity just outside of a few big megathreads. I'll readily admit I'm not the best at community building and engagement, because all I have for ideas is lets make a new forum icon to get rid of the enviroment tag so I figure asking the community is a better way to do it. I figure this would also serve as a good place for people to ask any questions they have of me or to request stuff for the forum that may make things easier on other posters! The previous thread on what to do with take a hike turned into making this wonderful new forum for us to post in, so lets see how we can make it even better! :toot:

In that spirit, I figure I'll post about my outdoors activities so ya'll can get to know me! My outdoors activities lately are limited to fishing and a camping trip now and again, but I'd love to add kayaking and maybe offroad bike riding to that list if I can ever figure out how to ride a bike through dry super fine sand without eating poo poo repeatedly. (its been almost a decade since I've tried and I still have vivid memories of repeatedly eating poo poo. It wasn't fun.)
I volunteered with JB to be one of the early mods for this forum since I enjoy doing outdoorsy fun stuff on the gulf coast of Florida and having a place to come chat about it without going through all the different subforums to find the threads hidden away in each one seemed like a good idea. The way TGO has developed has proved that it was a good idea and it seems generally seems like people are having fun. Hopefully we can keep it going and have a great community develop. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You know, a flannel forum icon could actually work pretty well and draw attention to the forum. I might have to go figure out how to not suck at gimp/paint.net or whatever. Or bribe an artsy goon with free forum upgrades or something.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We could do trip report threads. Not sure how many people would engage but it would kind of be like ask/tell only for cool trips outside. If you think it is a good idea I could make one this week from a trip last winter. It will have some overlap with the ski thread but I will explain more and add more videos and pics.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Elmnt80 posted:

I figure I'll post about my outdoors activities so ya'll can get to know me! My outdoors activities lately are limited to fishing and a camping trip now and again, but I'd love to add kayaking and maybe offroad bike riding to that list if I can ever figure out how to ride a bike through dry super fine sand without eating poo poo repeatedly. (its been almost a decade since I've tried and I still have vivid memories of repeatedly eating poo poo. It wasn't fun.)

My outdoor related activities include day hiking, backpacking, car camping, snowboarding/snowshoeing, off roading, dirt biking (trail specific), RC rock crawlers, upland bird hunting, photography etc. I used to be really into cycling (BMX, road racing, MTB) but BMX caused too many injuries, road cycling wasn't my favorite, and MTB was just a gateway to dirt biking.

spwrozek posted:

We could do trip report threads. Not sure how many people would engage but it would kind of be like ask/tell only for cool trips outside. If you think it is a good idea I could make one this week from a trip last winter. It will have some overlap with the ski thread but I will explain more and add more videos and pics.

I (and assuming most) have local sites to check for trip reports for accurate conditions etc but show-and-tell is always cool. I think that could be a good idea that might inspire some others to get outside and talk about it. It kind of already happens in the hike/camp megathread but a dedicated thread might gain traction. What I've noticed over the last few years, a lot of people come here for trip recommendations no matter if they're newbies or seasoned vets. Books, websites, apps etc can be one thing, but getting personal recommendations from people that have had boots on the trail is infinitely more useful. I'm not sure how often it would get traffic but maybe pairing a "trip report/recommendation" combo thread could be a good start. A place for people to share their recent trips and get recommendations for future trips.

Another concept I was thinking about was some sort of Gear Swap exchange/gift thread. I'm part of a "buy nothing" group in my area and its been very interesting/cool to see what people are willing to part with just to get rid of clutter. A lot of things we consider to have little value could be huge to someone trying to save some cash or get into the sport. The more I started to think about it the more it hurt my brain trying to figure out logistics/shipping/etc. Anything involving payment would have to be an SAmart thing which is what I would like to avoid but I suppose the photography section have their resale thread. Ideally, the simplest thing would be to have it be purely gifting. I have no idea if this could work but I feel like it would build some community by people exchanging gear and helping out those getting started. In the last however many years I've been a member on SA, I've found some incredible deals on random poo poo like camera gear that I wouldn't have anywhere else. Other goons have sent things purely out of the goodness of their heart. Goons are pretty generous so who knows. Thoughts?

Lastly, I was considering a thread about close calls/accidents/things you're afraid of/things you learned because of it. Getting lost, getting in way over your head, getting hurt, animal encounters, etc. I worry that this could turn into a weird spooky story internet-dick-waving contest about who has the coolest injury scar and people making poo poo up. Personally, I'm always fascinated by survival stories. I have a few friends with incredibly tragic outdoor related stories, I watch a lot of outdoor/survival related media and its always been fascinating to hear their first hand account. Maybe it can be a place to learn from others mistakes/mishaps. I have no idea. As someone who initially had a lot of anxiety while backpacking, maybe it could be helpful for some people or put things into perspective. My only fear is diluting the megathread by pulling all of this content out of it, but honestly with the exception of the show and tell thread idea, I havent seen much of the other two ideas in the megathread.

I think an icon could be cool. I'm a graphic designer and can probably do one if anybody has any specific ideas on what we want.

As long as I've been a member of SA, I'm pretty pumped to see the outdoors get its own bedroom in the house tent in the backyard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Verman posted:

I (and assuming most) have local sites to check for trip reports for accurate conditions etc but show-and-tell is always cool. I think that could be a good idea that might inspire some others to get outside and talk about it. It kind of already happens in the hike/camp megathread but a dedicated thread might gain traction. What I've noticed over the last few years, a lot of people come here for trip recommendations no matter if they're newbies or seasoned vets. Books, websites, apps etc can be one thing, but getting personal recommendations from people that have had boots on the trail is infinitely more useful. I'm not sure how often it would get traffic but maybe pairing a "trip report/recommendation" combo thread could be a good start. A place for people to share their recent trips and get recommendations for future trips.

I wasn't thinking of conditions and stuff (not like 14ers.com or stuff like that). More just I went to this cool place, here are some cool pictures and stuff. Ask me some questions. That might turn into a combo thread. I will just do it and if we want to change it up or do something different then cool.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm generally a fan of "if you think a thread will get posts, :justpost:". I mean, yes, it can suck if you put a bunch of effort into an OP and it doesn't take off, but its one of those things that if nobody ever posts the thread, nobody will ever know if it'll take off. Its just 1s and 0s on the internet, so its not like anything is ever wasted. And if its something that can get people posting outside of whatever mega thread they post in, that's a big win on building a community.

Verman posted:

Another concept I was thinking about was some sort of Gear Swap exchange/gift thread. I'm part of a "buy nothing" group in my area and its been very interesting/cool to see what people are willing to part with just to get rid of clutter. A lot of things we consider to have little value could be huge to someone trying to save some cash or get into the sport. The more I started to think about it the more it hurt my brain trying to figure out logistics/shipping/etc. Anything involving payment would have to be an SAmart thing which is what I would like to avoid but I suppose the photography section have their resale thread. Ideally, the simplest thing would be to have it be purely gifting. I have no idea if this could work but I feel like it would build some community by people exchanging gear and helping out those getting started. In the last however many years I've been a member on SA, I've found some incredible deals on random poo poo like camera gear that I wouldn't have anywhere else. Other goons have sent things purely out of the goodness of their heart. Goons are pretty generous so who knows. Thoughts?

I'd probably say make it for both sales and giveaways? AI has had its own marketplace thread open for quite a while and is generally treated under the same SAmart rules. I can't think of a single issue that has cropped up in the last 5 years there and some goons have gotten cool car things for a decent discount. Hell, I know at least one current SA poster is daily driving a car he bought from another goon. They even made cool posts about the fly and drive they did to pick up the car. Gimmie a bit to check out the photo forum and see how they handle gear swaps and I'll probably have more thoughts on this.

quote:

I think an icon could be cool. I'm a graphic designer and can probably do one if anybody has any specific ideas on what we want.

If I can ever get an admin to get back to me with specifics, I'd have a better answer. But I do think so long as its generally in line with the other thread icons in regards to simplicity and general style, we would be fine. That doesn't really leave a lot of wiggle room given how plain the others are, I kinda feel like since they didn't answer we could sneak something subtle in like DIY has? As far as specific ideas, all I really have is a flannel background. I'm not very imaginative in this regard.

quote:

As long as I've been a member of SA, I'm pretty pumped to see the outdoors get its own bedroom in the house tent in the backyard.

Same. I'll readily admit that mostly I'm active in the fishing thread, but I've been reading about half of the active threads here as I get a chance. I'd like to read all of them, but between here and AI there are just too many posts to read!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Should there be a separate gear giveaway thread and buy/sell thread? Combine them into one?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Should there be a separate gear giveaway thread and buy/sell thread? Combine them into one?

Probably best to combine. The giveaway thread might not get as much traction. I can try to write up op today. Been pondering on of there were any ways it could work best.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll make it later today/tonight. It needs to be under SA mart's rules with rules about cross posting and junk.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe a "post your new piece of gear" thread?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Maybe a "post your new piece of gear" thread?

That's honestly a pretty good idea and I would post in that thread, you should make it. :c2b:

The gear swap thread is up. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So while out fishing I came across this nerd and they said they'd be a mod, so say hello to new mod verman. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

all hail verman

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

So while out fishing I came across this nerd and they said they'd be a mod, so say hello to new mod verman. :v:

Funny thing is I don't enjoy fishing ... :ssh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Verman posted:

Funny thing is I don't enjoy fishing ... :ssh:

I didn't say you were fishing just that I was. :cheeky:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

all hail verman

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Trying this
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939974

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I noticed there is no surfing thread, should I make one? Is surfing too cool for goons? Surely I'm not the only mediocre surfer here.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I noticed there is no surfing thread, should I make one? Is surfing too cool for goons? Surely I'm not the only mediocre surfer here.

I don't see why not. I've only ever surfed on vacation in hawaii with very mediocre success but yeah someone is probably into it. I recently tried wake surfing which was really cool but entirely different from traditional surfing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm Tias, 36 yo from Denmark, and studying to be Sort Of Outdoors (tm). My Bachelor, which is done in 22, is Natural and Cultural Heritage Management and Interpretation.

I'm an avid forager, specializing in herbs and mushrooms, and would like to earn a living teaching people to respect nature while eating parts of it.

I'd love for this to be a place for swapping experiences on gear, plants, hiking/camping and the other skills applicable for both professional and amateur outdoor goons. If I can help run a discord, mod or something else, let me know!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Who wants to be a TGO IK?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As of whenever the admins get round to processing my request, I'll no longer be a mod of TGO (or anywhere, phew!). I wish TGO the very best future :)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for your service, happy trails

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance has agreed to be the new forum IK, so now I have a bike person to bug with questions like wtf a MAMIL is!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nice work

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Elmnt80 posted:

Safety Dance has agreed to be the new forum IK, so now I have a bike person to bug with questions like wtf a MAMIL is!

A MAMIL is a Middle Aged Man In Leotard

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I've gone mad with power!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Is there any sort of general outdoor chat thread I am missing? I don't have a specific gear question, just want to post about outdoorsy stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

Is there any sort of general outdoor chat thread I am missing? I don't have a specific gear question, just want to post about outdoorsy stuff.

Here you go!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933049

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Epitope posted:

Thank you for your service, happy trails

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a hot spring thread? I couldn't find one. I would love tips to better locate wild hot springs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't recall seeing one, create one for your fellow nude fart pool enthusiasts!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Is there a hot spring thread? I couldn't find one. I would love tips to better locate wild hot springs.

:justpost:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hope this forum picks up more with the warmer season. I like it here. :unsmith:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hope this forum picks up more with the warmer season. I like it here. :unsmith:

Same. :kimchi:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's a nice place.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Get hobbies that fill all seasons and achieve ultimate outdoor fulfillment. I was just skiing last week and went dirt biking yesterday. I love this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started typing no you're right summer is good actually. And then a mosquito bit me and

But anyway if the snow stays isothermic from here, stoked for mushrooms next