Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Maybe we can reach a compromise and solve 9x9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Maybe we can reach a compromise and solve 9x9

Sure, that's at least approaching theoretically possible. There are fewer than 8.88*1038 board states, which is much less than the number of molecules on Earth (google search: 1044). Get those bitbases going!
e: if you can do one every yoctosecond that will only take 1.4 million years. Looking up a move in the solution might also take a while.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 31, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

rchandra posted:

Sure, that's at least approaching theoretically possible. There are fewer than 8.88*1038 board states, which is much less than the number of molecules on Earth (google search: 1044). Get those bitbases going!
e: if you can do one every yoctosecond that will only take 1.4 million years. Looking up a move in the solution might also take a while.

Don’t worry, hashtables are O(1) right 🙃

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I made an account on KGS with username thecog, can I get an invite to the room?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

rchandra posted:

That's assuming brute force. The game of Hex, which has a similar number of board states (Hex is like Go, in that it's a placement game with stones of two colors), has been solved for every opening on 9x9.

Go is more complex than Hex, in that there are captures, illegal placements and ko, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

19x19 is out of the question though, baring some major advance in mathematics.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

TheCog posted:

I made an account on KGS with username thecog, can I get an invite to the room?
We no longer have our own KGS room but we do have a Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/aWTrnv4

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
getting back into go, just had a game where the opponent said at the end " It's not every day that you play an almost pure mono game". What did he mean by this?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
1. Could it have been a typo of "moyo"?
2. Was the board almost all white or almost all black at the end?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I thought it might have been a typo of moyo but the y and n are a little far apart. I was playing a little "cosmic style" because I got afraid of fighting and the end state was pretty balanced, W+5.5 with only one capture and one dead stone.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I suppose it's possible that he was using a Workman layout keyboard, but that would a be a pretty uncommon occurrence. I don't think mobile keyboards will auto correct moyo into mono either since stuff like moto or motor would be more likely based on QWERTY.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.
Use Chinese rules, otherwise you might get into never-ending arguments on which stones are standing dead.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

VictualSquid posted:

Use Chinese rules, otherwise you might get into never-ending arguments on which stones are standing dead.

I don't have experience teaching kids quite that young. But after a lot of capture go so she really understands which groups can be captured and how, and once she can count well (though multiplication is better) you could do something like ancient chinese rules on a 9x9. Just fill up the board (except eyes) and count stones rather than territory and stones. It makes it slightly harder for white to win, but then you can separate the counting to determine winner stuff from the concept of territory.

dirby fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 30, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Giving this another shot during quarantine, but don't see the room up in the OP. Are goons still playing on CGoban? Anyone floating around that will play with a scrub and take the time to explain why I'm bad?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Nephzinho posted:

Giving this another shot during quarantine, but don't see the room up in the OP. Are goons still playing on CGoban? Anyone floating around that will play with a scrub and take the time to explain why I'm bad?

I think we're more active on OGS https://online-go.com/group/8

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Blendy posted:

I think we're more active on OGS https://online-go.com/group/8

I play frequently on OGS (u: amsone) but I feel like the group's dead. If it's not, should we do a new tournament? Or at least get some ladder activity going?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'd love an invite to the group and am going to try to use the time at home to see if I can get it to click.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I'd love an invite to the group and am going to try to use the time at home to see if I can get it to click.

I assumed you used the same user name so I sent and invite. If you use something different let me know and I'll resend.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can I also get an invite? I use the same username on OGS as SA.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

kirtar posted:

Can I also get an invite? I use the same username on OGS as SA.

Sent

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Blendy posted:

I assumed you used the same user name so I sent and invite. If you use something different let me know and I'll resend.

I did.

Have done two sessions with a friend this week, where if I fall for some stupid trick or make a move that is 100% dead, we kind of pause, play it out, and then rewind. This way I'm actually getting to the end of the game and seeing how the game should play out as opposed to me making a mistake on move 60 that cedes an entire quadrant that wasn't even viable. Two sessions of playing with a friend telling me that kind of thing has done more for me learning this game than anything before.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Playing and losing is the best way to start. If you like youtube lectures there's a ton of great options. If you join the discord there's a pinned message with information on getting ebooks to use to study.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone down for a teaching game at like 7PM EST tonight on KGS? I've got like 5 games in in as many days, but the ones with a cooperative teacher are much more productive.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
If you're new you can send me a friend request on OGS. I'll teach you and review your games when I am available. I can't promise a ton as I never know when I'll have free time but I can at least get you started. My screen name there is the same as here: elementc

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

elementc posted:

If you're new you can send me a friend request on OGS. I'll teach you and review your games when I am available. I can't promise a ton as I never know when I'll have free time but I can at least get you started. My screen name there is the same as here: elementc

I hope you won't mind if I send a friend request too. I am dave ryder on OGS.

Also will someone please add me to the group if it is still alive?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

elementc posted:

I've been playing on cgoban and actually finally starting to get a feel for it. I'm still bad but I'm losing by less, actually setting some traps, and generally not getting bullied around for entire games. I *almost* beat my friend who has been my main teacher over the weekend, and looking at the replay it really came down to a single questionable move.

Honestly I wish I could be playing more, I've just found that I can't squeeze a game in between things, if I am getting distracted by emails or something going off its just not going to go well. Likewise I'mt rying to take my "full" 30 seconds for moves and not just slamming pieces down without really thinking about what my opponent did.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
I'm so used to beginners saying that they're on OGS that I brain farted and misread what you said. In fact, I have an account there with the same screen name so either place is fine with me. I far prefer the KGS teaching interface.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So after getting my bearings on KGS I've switched over to OGS. I like the KGS client better for playing teaching games and playing through problems, but the playerbase is so much deeper on OGS. KGS seemed to think I am at 13k so I imagine OGS will place me 15-16k. The SA group seems to have some activity but its been a few years since any kind of tournament.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Let me know how it goes! I just play capture go with my toddler a little until she starts making her own stories, usually we fill the whole 9x9. I'm not a stickler on the rules, I figure at that age there's no wrong way to play.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Here's Quinn from SUSD explaining Go and dressing as an anime character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBjN8empIs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PerniciousKnid posted:

Let me know how it goes! I just play capture go with my toddler a little until she starts making her own stories, usually we fill the whole 9x9. I'm not a stickler on the rules, I figure at that age there's no wrong way to play.

I think it's been going pretty well.

I try and lose most games and I'm having to remind her a bit less about obvious capture opportunities. She's generally pretty eager to play, although she doesn't request it unprompted like she would with other card or board games.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Quinn posted:

Every step I took into this world I felt was taking me away from my friends and family
I would have an amazing evening with Go and I didn't even know how to express that to my friends
What I like about the hobby of boardgames is that it makes me feel closer to my friends
Go made me feel farther apart from my friends
I would need new friends
I would need Go friends
powerful

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Also "After a week of playing every evening, I could maybe consider myself a beginner"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I want to learn Go, are there any recommended (free is nice, but a few bucks if it's a high quality version that is a game changing experience) for a new player for iPad? Looking for something with nice tutorial, hints, and lots of practice modes / difficulty levels against the computer. Being able to play a buddy online would be a bonus but not necessary.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I don't have an apple device, but from the OP, the nice tutorial is at http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
Unfortunately, it uses Flash.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I want to learn Go, are there any recommended (free is nice, but a few bucks if it's a high quality version that is a game changing experience) for a new player for iPad? Looking for something with nice tutorial, hints, and lots of practice modes / difficulty levels against the computer. Being able to play a buddy online would be a bonus but not necessary.

I am a couple of months into learning and started with the resources in the OP, playing teaching games with a friend, and playing bots on ogs. Correspondence games on ogs are also great for playing without worrying about the clock (though you should still make sure to move quickly to avoid bad habits). Lessons in Fundamentals of Go and a few other books in that same series were helpful as well if you want to spend a few bucks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's been going pretty well.

I try and lose most games and I'm having to remind her a bit less about obvious capture opportunities. She's generally pretty eager to play, although she doesn't request it unprompted like she would with other card or board games.

Thanks for reminding me I need to play with mine again. I taught her how to make a lady bug out of paper plates and now she's making paper plate lady bugs like her life depends on it, so maybe it will distract her. I guess we all need a way to cope with the pandemic.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

TraderStav posted:

The OP is right about nothing being quite as good as playing against other people. This is the best intro I know:
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

After that you should just make an account on OGS and start playing. Post your games here and ask for reviews, having other players review my games was super helpful for me early on. Plus the thread could use the activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Install Go Quest for 9x9 live play to figure out basic life and death stuff like "Do I have two eyes?". Meanwhile play correspondence games 19x19 (a lot of correspondence games at the same time) on OGS. You can play live games on OGS too of course, but correspondence is asynchronous and lets you think about the board state without feeling pressured to move, which can be good for new players.