Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9ZtlkSnnE

What??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Some boss at Netflix HQ yelled 'GET ME SOMETHING LIKE MRS. MAISEL SO WE CAN GET SOME GODDAMNED EMMYS'

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Great production design. Incredibly obnoxious dialogue.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is this the first entry in the new One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Cinematic Universe?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait for the prequel about Jack Nicholson's character committing statutory rape

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the overall design looks great but, uh, i can't help but feel giving nurse ratched a dramatic origin story defeats the entire point of the source material

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 4, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They should make a Kai Winn show instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Louise Fletcher was four years younger than Sarah Paulson is now when they made Cuckoos Nest. This is a prequel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

the overall design looks great but, uh, i can't help but feel giving nurse ratched a dramatic origin story defeats the entire point of the source material

Everything needs a dramatic origin these days.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have no idea who nurse Ratched is, and the trailer was very confusing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She’s the villain in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Yes, it’s supremely weird.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The most surprising and confusing thing about the Sarah Paulson Nurse Ratched show is that it isn't a Murphy joint tbh, he's just a producer and I think directing a couple episodes. Granted his involvement is prob why several of the cast members up to and including Paulson are involved, but y'know.

Anyway it was ordered for two seasons, so I'm curious if the showrunner has an ending in mind and intends to keep it short.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oasx posted:

The guy who wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Best didn't believe that mental illness was real and that it was just cruel authoritarianism oppressing people who were different, and Nurse Ratched was the head of the psych ward the novel took place in and embodied that cruel authoritarianism. I feel like there's space to do some revisionist take on the character based on our modern conceptions of mental illness, but this ain't it Chief.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ken Kesey did an insane amount of psychedelics

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If you think about it, Ratched is just a reverse Asylum hmmm

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I assume with less Satan and aliens however

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Louise Fletcher was four years younger than Sarah Paulson is now when they made Cuckoos Nest. This is a prequel.

Reminds me of the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie which was supposed to be a prequel and starred 50 year old Russell Crowe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

The guy who wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Best didn't believe that mental illness was real and that it was just cruel authoritarianism oppressing people who were different, and Nurse Ratched was the head of the psych ward the novel took place in and embodied that cruel authoritarianism. I feel like there's space to do some revisionist take on the character based on our modern conceptions of mental illness, but this ain't it Chief.

Psych wards back then was absolutely horrible and I can definitely sympathize with the opinion that a large part of what they were doing were oppressing people who were different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie which was supposed to be a prequel and starred 50 year old Russell Crowe.

Well Robin Hood could have been 70 years old you don't know

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Russell Crowe ages like a dog or a cat.

He's 56 in human years, but he's actually 135.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonErlichman/status/1290741206029340677

Not bad for almost zero new content

Also remember 2019 lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Disney Plus, they are releasing the live-action Mulan there on Sept 4th for $30.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21354593/mulan-release-date-disney-earnings-warner-bros-tenet-theaters

quote:

“We thought it was important to find alternative ways to bring [Mulan] in a timely manner,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek said. In countries where Disney Plus is not available, Disney is releasing Mulan in theaters on the same date. The new release date follows Warner Bros.’ announcement that Christopher Nolan’s Tenet would get a staggered release. Tenet will open in approximately 70 international territories on August 26th before getting a limited release in the United States on September 3rd. It will go city by city in the United States as the country battles climbing coronavirus cases.

I thought Disney Plus was purely a subscription service

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that surprised me too that there will be a way to bill for premium content. That's a pretty big bombshell to drop and opens up some interesting directions the service can go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who the gently caress is gonna pay 30 dollars

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that surprised me too that there will be a way to bill for premium content. That's a pretty big bombshell to drop and opens up some interesting directions the service can go.

I am guessing they are floating this as a way to release a lot of poo poo that was supposed to come out (or come out in the next year) without dumping their theater revenues. I would be fine having to pay extra to see a movie I was planning on seeing in movie theaters. Black Widow for example they don't want to lose that theater revenue because even its a bomb by Marvel standards that's still $200 million domestic. I am sure they would release it like regular 6 months later or so.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

who the gently caress is gonna pay 30 dollars

Cheaper than taking a kid to the theater, now factor in having more than one child and it makes a lot of sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

She got bitten by a radioactive nurse, you see

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Speaking of Netflix comedies with second seasons, was I the only one who bounced hard off of season 2 of American Vandal? Compared to how flippant and silly the kids in the first season were having realistic bullying be featured so prominently in the first episode was just really uncomfortable in a way that killed my desire to watch more.

Also Bodied is on Kanopy and seeing the actor who played Alex Trimboli just nail it playing a completely different kind of character was so good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PostNouveau posted:

She got bitten by a radioactive nurse, you see

I thought she was the radioactive nurse

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of Netflix comedies with second seasons, was I the only one who bounced hard off of season 2 of American Vandal? Compared to how flippant and silly the kids in the first season were having realistic bullying be featured so prominently in the first episode was just really uncomfortable in a way that killed my desire to watch more.

I think it was just you. Season 2 was still pretty awesome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

I like it OK. I thought the conclusion was pretty clever. Did not shed any tears when it got canceled though; the premise was already wearing thin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

swickles posted:

Cheaper than taking a kid to the theater, now factor in having more than one child and it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah but why? Just put on the OG Mulan for free with the subscription and save $30

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even when I was a child I could tell the difference between the live action and animated Ninja Turtles

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah but why? Just put on the OG Mulan for free with the subscription and save $30

Bonus: That one has songs in it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Even when I was a child I could tell the difference between the live action and animated Ninja Turtles

And one was objectively worse

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

who the gently caress is gonna pay 30 dollars to rent it

https://www.slashfilm.com/mulan-on-disney/

quote:

The film will be released on Disney+ on September 4, 2020 – but you’ll have to pay $29.99 to rent it.

But here’s what those analysts didn’t see coming: you’ll have to pay an additional $29.99 to rent the movie on Disney+, which will be the first time the company’s streaming service has introduced the functionality of offering an extra paid tier of content. Thus far, the monthly subscription fee has given subscribers access to everything on the entire service. But that’s going to change with this film.

The Mouse got some huge balls.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's probably a lot of market research to figure out the exact price they could put it up for that was done here.

They should have thrown it all in the garbage though because I coulda told them that they'd probably get three times the random curiosity views if they made it half that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Now introducing Disney+Platinum! Get all of the services you already enjoy from Disney+ AND get additional, bonus content exclusi...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The stars of Supernatural are about to do a live sing along with Kansas in a sec here, doing a live chat right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRjZ-pgUvs

Edit: lmao they are going to try adding 250 fans to also sing at the same time, gonna just be a noise-along

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doesn't Amazon Prime do that already? Rolling a bunch of their digital rentals into the library for the stuff you get from the sub. My mum and I wanted to watch A Star is Born while we were visiting but it was only available on Prime for rent, so we watched The Godfather instead