Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
drat, I far prefer Slack over Discord, but I’ll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m trying to get my kicks back and I have a physiological question. Which is a more efficient sequence of training for getting better leg flexibility: 1. Warm up, stretching, kicking training or 2. Warm up, kicking training, then stretching.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m trying to get my kicks back and I have a physiological question. Which is a more efficient sequence of training for getting better leg flexibility: 1. Warm up, stretching, kicking training or 2. Warm up, kicking training, then stretching.

VVV yeah what the Doctor said

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 22, 2020

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
As a sport doctor, static stretching can reduce power output, not strength, if done before training. No real injury risks.

A warm up should include dynamic stretches and self-myofascial release. This will get you the mobility you need pre-kicking training without reducing you power output. As part of your cooldown do static stretching.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

As a sport doctor, static stretching can reduce power output, not strength, if done before training. No real injury risks.

A warm up should include dynamic stretches and self-myofascial release. This will get you the mobility you need pre-kicking training without reducing you power output. As part of your cooldown do static stretching.

Great, thanks for the input.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
What YouTube channels are folks watching these days for analysis and fight breakdowns?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

What YouTube channels are folks watching these days for analysis and fight breakdowns?

Jack Slack still puts out good content, check out his twitter feed. BJJ Scout was great for a while but doesn't seem to do detailed breakdowns much at all now.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think the BJJScout account was sold to somebody else.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Jack Slack still puts out good content, check out his twitter feed. BJJ Scout was great for a while but doesn't seem to do detailed breakdowns much at all now.

I watch Slack fairly regularly and am also a big fan of Coach Anthony for boxing. I just started following Downward Elbow for short little technique breakdowns of MMA. Anything else for striking that people like?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think the BJJScout account was sold to somebody else.

How else would Keenan finance Legion AJJ HQ

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I have a student that is doing research into head injuries in combat sports. As part of her thesis she has put together this brief survey about post-sparring experiences. If anyone would be willing to give 10-20 minutes to fill it out I would be very grateful and any sharing on social media would be amazing. Thanks!

https://aut.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eFg5zRZ6UCnI0Dz

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Having to fill in my win-loss record makes me feel bad.

e: after some debate, I'm gonna collapse all my sanshou sparring/competition into kickboxing. I don't think it's worth separating out.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Either way, I just really appreciate the support. This research stuff is not easy and my student doesn't have the greatest network of athletes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Having to fill in my win-loss record makes me feel bad.

e: after some debate, I'm gonna collapse all my sanshou sparring/competition into kickboxing. I don't think it's worth separating out.

Yeah when I got to the second part of the questionaire I wish I had combined some of my sports that I named all just under "mixed martial arts"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I have a student that is doing research into head injuries in combat sports. As part of her thesis she has put together this brief survey about post-sparring experiences. If anyone would be willing to give 10-20 minutes to fill it out I would be very grateful and any sharing on social media would be amazing. Thanks!

I have a friend who runs an American Top Team (MMA Gym) affiliation in FL and a fighter of his was on the UFC Contender Series. You mind if I ask if he would be interested in doing this? He used to fight in MMA as well and also had a tryout on TUF (got to Ep 1 of TUF 11 but lost the fight to get onto the show).

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I have a friend who runs an American Top Team (MMA Gym) affiliation in FL and a fighter of his was on the UFC Contender Series. You mind if I ask if he would be interested in doing this? He used to fight in MMA as well and also had a tryout on TUF (got to Ep 1 of TUF 11 but lost the fight to get onto the show).

That would be incredible!!! Please feel free to share anywhere legit. My pie in the sky hope is that we can get over 1000 respondents, any sharing you can do would mean a lot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Done

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So last week a very Thread FAQ happening happened in my circle of peers. If XGuard86 wants to add this to the OP it's almost a perfect illustration of "Martial Arts as Self Defense" I encourage it. I intend to tell this story for the rest of my life when teaching judo/bjj.

So the main character in this story is a guy who I'm going to call Jeff. I used to train with Jeff, though I haven't for some years at this time - the reasons aren't important. Jeff is in his early 40s and he's a retired amateur MMA and Muay Thai fighter. He's also gigantic. He's upwards of 6 feet and 200 pounds and he has the physique of an action figure even in his 40s. On top of that his elbows, knees, and knuckles look like pickaxes from training and conditioning. He's a purple belt in BJJ. I've rolled with him and I've been kicked by him. He's unbelievably powerful and he knows how to use that power effectively. The bottom line Jeff is what those in this field would call One Bad Mother Fucker.

So on a nice autumn evening last week Jeff is at a public outdoor space with his kid. A group of men and women starts yelling racial slurs at him. He tries to leave with his kid and the group obstructs him. A fight breaks out. It's the archetypical "but if u cant run" fantasy situation.

From here I've now seen video.

They're in the middle of the street. Jeff is by this point shirtless because his clothing has been torn off and he has 4 attackers around him, swarming him. He towers above his attackers. He looks the part of a big scary dude. This looks like a video game. Jeff grabs one person and throws them 10 feet onto the asphalt. He hits an osoto gari on another and kicks them and sends them rolling away like a beach ball. He drags a third to the ground and gets a knee ride going while completely ignoring the kicks and punches from the 4th. The first two start to get up and they throw a few more strikes at him, but they're pretty hurt already and they don't seem to be affecting him much. He doesn't strike the person who he has pinned. It's unclear what's going to happen next.

A 5th person enters the frame and stabs Jeff 5 times.

Jeff is expected to make a full recovery, thankfully. As of the time of posting 4 of his 5 attackers have been arrested.

The bottom line is that there's no winning in self-defense situations. I'm not sure what Jeff should have done given the premises of the situation, but the reality is that self-defense in the wild is about which side is willing to escallate the conflict more. He had every physical advantage, the training advantage, and the experience advantage. There is no class or martial art or technique or physical training that Jeff could have done but didn't which could have "won" him that fight. Just buy running shoes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
loving terrifying.

OP is pretty long, maybe a link to that post? Does SA support that technology?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

loving terrifying.

OP is pretty long, maybe a link to that post? Does SA support that technology?

It's the little # button below their avatar

And yeah, terrifying story. If there was something to take away from it beyond "you're just hosed if you're outnumbered and/or someone has a knife", it's how pinning someone and basically doing anything that immobilizes you, even if it's to control an opponent, ultimately makes you more vulnerable in a self defense situation.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 8, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Updated with a link.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m glad Jeff is going to be OK. My brother is a Wing Chun Sifu and he always says when teaching self defense “you won’t see the knife until it’s already coming out of you.”

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

[Snip, knife incident]

99% sure I heard about this on the news last week. Scary stuff.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How old was his kid, and were they able to escape / stay out of it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

So last week a very Thread FAQ happening happened in my circle of peers. If XGuard86 wants to add this to the OP it's almost a perfect illustration of "Martial Arts as Self Defense" I encourage it. I intend to tell this story for the rest of my life when teaching judo/bjj.

So the main character in this story is a guy who I'm going to call Jeff. I used to train with Jeff, though I haven't for some years at this time - the reasons aren't important. Jeff is in his early 40s and he's a retired amateur MMA and Muay Thai fighter. He's also gigantic. He's upwards of 6 feet and 200 pounds and he has the physique of an action figure even in his 40s. On top of that his elbows, knees, and knuckles look like pickaxes from training and conditioning. He's a purple belt in BJJ. I've rolled with him and I've been kicked by him. He's unbelievably powerful and he knows how to use that power effectively. The bottom line Jeff is what those in this field would call One Bad Mother Fucker.

So on a nice autumn evening last week Jeff is at a public outdoor space with his kid. A group of men and women starts yelling racial slurs at him. He tries to leave with his kid and the group obstructs him. A fight breaks out. It's the archetypical "but if u cant run" fantasy situation.

From here I've now seen video.

They're in the middle of the street. Jeff is by this point shirtless because his clothing has been torn off and he has 4 attackers around him, swarming him. He towers above his attackers. He looks the part of a big scary dude. This looks like a video game. Jeff grabs one person and throws them 10 feet onto the asphalt. He hits an osoto gari on another and kicks them and sends them rolling away like a beach ball. He drags a third to the ground and gets a knee ride going while completely ignoring the kicks and punches from the 4th. The first two start to get up and they throw a few more strikes at him, but they're pretty hurt already and they don't seem to be affecting him much. He doesn't strike the person who he has pinned. It's unclear what's going to happen next.

A 5th person enters the frame and stabs Jeff 5 times.

Jeff is expected to make a full recovery, thankfully. As of the time of posting 4 of his 5 attackers have been arrested.

The bottom line is that there's no winning in self-defense situations. I'm not sure what Jeff should have done given the premises of the situation, but the reality is that self-defense in the wild is about which side is willing to escallate the conflict more. He had every physical advantage, the training advantage, and the experience advantage. There is no class or martial art or technique or physical training that Jeff could have done but didn't which could have "won" him that fight. Just buy running shoes.

Fuuuuck I heard about this from my parents, apparently the elders are pretty upset that the attackers were indigenous kids

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that loving sucks. :(

Where did this happen?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Well that loving sucks. :(

Where did this happen?

Small town Canada. You can google it out from that if you want, I guess.

IIRC his 6 year old was with him. The drat thing is - here's how tough this guy is - after the stabbing his attackers ran off and he stood up and walked away from the immediate scene before medical attention arrived.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
Despite many warnings, I have not purchased a cup for kickboxing. I finally took a teep to the nuts last night, and I'm ready to buy one.

What do ya'll recommend? I've never played a sport that required a cup - so I'm totally clueless about what to get and how to wear it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Traditional Thai coaches often recommends the full steel number because you're higher risk than what most generic sport cups are built to handle. Both in impact resistance and coverage.

(Normal cups can actually make some of those blows worse because they transfer force and squeeze your jewels.)

They also like it because maaaybe you break a guy's toe on your groin lol.

That said: when I trained MT, myself and other guys used the shock doctor compression shorts combo for day to day. Or a DIY version with two layers of compression shorts sandwiching a cup.

Key advantage of that setup is the cup doesn't move around. Very important since standard setups aren't usually built for that much hip and leg movement.

Some dudes also used the typical jock and cup they had from football or whatever and were fine. As you've seen, it's a lot of your personal preference and risk tolerance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wear a boxing groin protector on the outside. It shifts around some and occasionally interferes a bit with your movement, but usually not an issue
https://www.titleboxing.com/protection/groin-protectors/title-classic-groin-protector-plus-2-0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know a few guys who wear a hockey jock for fighting :canada:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I literally bought whatever walmart has in the sporting goods section and it worked fine. Taken a few kicks with it and both I and the cup survived well.

Reminded me of a story though, last tournament I competed in about a year ago had mandatory (as it should) mouth and cups.

A guy from my club that was competing forgot his cup and asked if he could borrow mine :staredog:

I reminded him there was a small proshop and I'd be happy to spot him the $20 or whatever it was to buy one.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://youtu.be/u_AT_qYm-qc

My first time power breaking. Tried 8 10-inch boards. I made it through 6.

Didn’t hurt at all, but any tips/pointers are welcome.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

LLJKSiLk posted:

https://youtu.be/u_AT_qYm-qc

My first time power breaking. Tried 8 10-inch boards. I made it through 6.

Didn’t hurt at all, but any tips/pointers are welcome.

I don't practice breaking but from what I've seen classmates and pros do everything looked solid. Do you practice visualization? For example, are you hitting the first board really hard, or are you punching the floor? This can make a massive difference, in my opinion, in breaking and combat.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don't practice breaking but from what I've seen classmates and pros do everything looked solid. Do you practice visualization? For example, are you hitting the first board really hard, or are you punching the floor? This can make a massive difference, in my opinion, in breaking and combat.

My strategy was placement and speed. I didn’t want to risk my wrist being caught at a bad angle and I wanted to hit as fast/hard on the lower palm as I could.

On regular breaking I generally aim past the board. I definitely found it a bit more difficult here with the other considerations of potential wrist injury.

I probably was a little psyched out that the person before me didn’t break a single board in their three attempts.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well that's sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBQZSnUgKQ

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Going to finally replace my BJJ Gi I have been using for 9 years. Thousands of loads of laundry and death grips have tattered it. Anyone have any interesting ways I can display it? Maybe shadow box or something like that?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone here in the Southern Indiana/Louisville area? If so, which places can you recommend?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

rjderouin posted:

Going to finally replace my BJJ Gi I have been using for 9 years. Thousands of loads of laundry and death grips have tattered it. Anyone have any interesting ways I can display it? Maybe shadow box or something like that?

I shred old workout gear and stuff my heavy bag with it

The circle of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Where do you guys shop for martial media? We probably all know Century, but where do you go for video or book learning? I have a few:

My favorite is Plum Publications. They specialize in Chinese Martial Arts and have a fantastic selection. They’ve been good to me for many years.

My favorite place for Japanese and BJJ is Budo Videos.They have a TON of BJJ material, but I tend to pickup their Aikido and occasionally Karate material.

Martial Arts Mart is the online store of the now defunct Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine. Their media supply isn’t quite as rich, IMO, but I’ve grabbed some interesting videos there.

This last one I mention more out of nostalgia. Wing Lam Enterprises was the brainchild of the late Grandmaster Kwong Wing Lam who put to video his Bak Siu Lum, Hung Gar, Xing Yi, Taiji, and Bagua. Since his passing, the store, which is still active, isn’t quite what it used to be user interface wise. The content is still very good.

Apologies if this topic has already been done to death.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 22, 2020