Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

You should check out the Star Trek Armada III mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. It is stupidly well done and a worthy successor to both Armada and Armada II if you've ever played either game.

There's a similarly good star wars mod out there too.

I wish I remember what it was called off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

There's a similarly good star wars mod out there too.

I wish I remember what it was called off the top of my head.

Guessing your thinking of Thrawn's Revenge II, that's the big one. Not a huge fan and in general I think trek-tech makes for more interesting games in general.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

These rule, the Homeworld series has the best ship aesthetics.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Mordja posted:

For a game made by ex-Homeworld devs, I always thought Sins of a Solar Empire and relatively lame ship design. But they definitely got better at it, culminating in their Titans, gigantic super units with a plethora of abilities. They fit their factions well, for example TEC's were floating brick shithouses, Advent's were overdesigned and ritualistic, Vasari's looked semi-organic. My favourite were the Advent Rebel's Eradica, a real work of art

and the Vasari Loyalist's manta-like Vorastra, which could literally devour entire enemy fleets whole.

I've always liked the Ragnarov Titan. A ship designed around a massive rail gun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ego-bot posted:

I've always liked the Ragnarov Titan. A ship designed around a massive rail gun.

Yeah, it's solid, I just hadn't found a good picture of it. :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mordja posted:

Guessing your thinking of Thrawn's Revenge II, that's the big one. Not a huge fan and in general I think trek-tech makes for more interesting games in general.

Isn't that for Galaxy at War? I was thinking of Interregnum.

But I agree that Star Trek fits better with SoaSE's gameplay. THough I wish it wasn't just TNG era ships, I wish it had TOS and movie era ships (and I guess disco ships too).
There was a 40k mod at one point but I don't think they ever released a working version. That's too bad, because while i like BFG games, they're a bit to fiddly for me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

But I agree that Star Trek fits better with SoaSE's gameplay. THough I wish it wasn't just TNG era ships, I wish it had TOS and movie era ships (and I guess disco ships too).
There was a 40k mod at one point but I don't think they ever released a working version. That's too bad, because while i like BFG games, they're a bit to fiddly for me.

I wish Armada III dipped into quasi-canonical ships like the Luna-class and some of the others from the Activision-era games. You get the Typon-class as a carrier, but that's it. That said, I've enjoyed loving around in its developer mode and awful lot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, I never played Interregnum. Thawn's Revenge is an Empire at War mod, yeah, but then they made a sequel for SoaSE.

As for Star Trek, like I mentioned, the Armada III people have a new mod out set just before TOS which might give you some of what you're looking for. Some really impressive visuals too: https://www.moddb.com/mods/ages-of-the-federation

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mordja posted:

For a game made by ex-Homeworld devs, I always thought Sins of a Solar Empire and relatively lame ship design. But they definitely got better at it, culminating in their Titans, gigantic super units with a plethora of abilities. They fit their factions well, for example TEC's were floating brick shithouses, Advent's were overdesigned and ritualistic, Vasari's looked semi-organic. My favourite were the Advent Rebel's Eradica, a real work of art

and the Vasari Loyalist's manta-like Vorastra, which could literally devour entire enemy fleets whole.

That second one reminds me of some of the ships from the Spelljammer campaign setting for 2nd Edition AD&D.

Mindflayers going through space in a loving flyin' nautilus:

Battle Dolphins:

And the eponymous Spelljammer itself, a sort of "Flying Dutchman" of that universe, a mystery ship lost in space, full of secrets and maybe treasure?!

Just a giant fuckin' flying manta ray with a city on it's back that is also sort of alive?

And while I don't think there will be actual Spelljamming in Baldur's Gate 3, they are at least giving us a small taste/reference to it with this teaser trailer/cinematic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yyRvAiXvc

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

That second one reminds me of some of the ships from the Spelljammer campaign setting for 2nd Edition AD&D.

Mindflayers going through space in a loving flyin' nautilus:

Battle Dolphins:

And the eponymous Spelljammer itself, a sort of "Flying Dutchman" of that universe, a mystery ship lost in space, full of secrets and maybe treasure?!

Just a giant fuckin' flying manta ray with a city on it's back that is also sort of alive?

And while I don't think there will be actual Spelljamming in Baldur's Gate 3, they are at least giving us a small taste/reference to it with this teaser trailer/cinematic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yyRvAiXvc

Spelljammer was kickin' rad.

Just taking my big giant head for a spin

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy crap that trailer ruled.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That 5 minutes was more interesting than the last ten hours of TV that I've watched.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sword of the Stars...

And for me, mid 20's me got a real kick out of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HMl-5-l2w

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

How the gently caress does this not rate for water landing?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bootcha posted:

SOTS2 looked so good and thank god I didn't preorder it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The best Trek ship is the Klingon D7

That manta shape. Those inward turned nacelles.

For star wars, I liked the hammerhead corvette

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bootcha posted:

That reminds me of some of the ships belonging to The First Ones from Babylon 5:
(spoilered because I know there's 2 or 3 people in the nearby Babylon 5 Blind Watch thread and I don't want to spoil them.)

Very blurry cause they're screencaps from what is probably not even 480p mid-90's low-budget CGI, so cut them some slack.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Davethulhu posted:

For star wars, I liked the hammerhead corvette

My only problem with the hammerhead is that the bridge should really be right at the back.

If you're ramming face first into star destroyers, having the bridge be in the part which is rubbing up against them seems unwise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My only problem with the hammerhead is that the bridge should really be right at the back.

If you're ramming face first into star destroyers, having the bridge be in the part which is rubbing up against them seems unwise.

Maybe they put all the depressed, suicidal rebels on there.

"Sometimes I think about just..." *mimes diving in a fighter, explosion*

"Say, have you ever served on a Corvette?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe they put all the depressed, suicidal rebels on there.

"Sometimes I think about just..." *mimes diving in a fighter, explosion*

"Say, have you ever served on a Corvette?"

Well, make sure to save one for an A-Wing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ramming other vessels was not actually a design goal for the ship.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I know the Terran Trade Authority books were talked about earlier, but has anyone mentioned this badboy yet;

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

McSpanky posted:

How the gently caress does this not rate for water landing?

It's literally a library

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I know the Terran Trade Authority books were talked about earlier, but has anyone mentioned this badboy yet;

That is a blindfolded cow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

It's literally a library

Yeah you could probably land that in water but you'd better hope no waves reach the deck.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
if the giant flaming head there gets extinguished it'll probably fall apart immediately

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RangerKarl posted:

if the giant flaming head there gets extinguished it'll probably fall apart immediately

Or save the library from an entirely predictable fire

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"I never thought MY library would burn down!" says man whose library had large open flames

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

IIRC, he feeds the books to the head to power the ship.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Lest we forget the one time Valve Software almost made a space game.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Ramming other vessels was not actually a design goal for the ship.

It should be a design goal for any ship!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Before they settled on Phasma turning off the planetary shield in Episode VII, the Resistance was just going to ram it with this:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nice try, but that's just the moon cannon from the 3D Sonic games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

aphid_licker posted:

It should be a design goal for any ship!

It's based on the Republic battleships from the Knights of the Old Republic video game series, which are quite a bit larger and have a lot more guns.

I like the MMO's iteration of the star destroyer, the Harrower class.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bottom left I am EXTREMELY about

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

It's based on the Republic battleships from the Knights of the Old Republic video game series, which are quite a bit larger and have a lot more guns.

I like the MMO's iteration of the star destroyer, the Harrower class.

Yea i really like the 4 hangers, means you can launch a lot of fighters at once.

Bootcha posted:

Lest we forget the one time Valve Software almost made a space game.

These are :krad:

It makes me sad I have zero artistic talent because I have a bunch of ship designs in my head but i have zero ability to draw them without them looking like something I drew in the margin of my notebook in math class.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i really like the 4 hangers, means you can launch a lot of fighters at once.

These are :krad:

It makes me sad I have zero artistic talent because I have a bunch of ship designs in my head but i have zero ability to draw them without them looking like something I drew in the margin of my notebook in math class.

There's probably talented folk here who could render even your worst attempt at a thumbnail sketch into something awesome. I'd be willing to try, myself, though I'm not claiming to be amazing by any means, just that I'd give it a shot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Artstation.com seems to always have someone re-imagining star destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There is something just off about the angles of the foreground of that second image