Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

explosivo posted:

Wait is this real? I can't believe this is real.

For about a month (maybe?) on TNA, they were using his caricatures instead of photos for wrestler versus screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao why did i never bother to look up lumis' "art" before

Dexter Lumis just got 15% cooler to me

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He’s a talent that can draw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Honestly, Dexter has been fine. He's okay in the ring. His gimmick is super confusing, but I do get a laugh whenever they show him hiding in the background. Just pretend he's Drax and he thinks standing still makes him invisible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

explosivo posted:

Wait is this real? I can't believe this is real.

It's real. Real good.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

BGrifter posted:

I was expecting the name Chapo Trap House

Chavo Trap House is right there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Honestly, Dexter has been fine. He's okay in the ring..

:thunk:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shrimpy posted:

:golfclap:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

One thing I can't ever shake about Seth Rollins is the feel that he saw Loose Change in like 2008 and it changed his world.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I will also sign off on "fine."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/wwenxt/status/1245509398870609920

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Codependent Poster posted:

Honestly, Dexter has been fine. He's okay in the ring. His gimmick is super confusing, but I do get a laugh whenever they show him hiding in the background. Just pretend he's Drax and he thinks standing still makes him invisible.

Like with many WWE gimmicks, Dexter's is improved if they played him straight but still make it clear he is kayfabe a complete idiot. It's a fine line to walk, and WWE consistently fucks up by overpushing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:tif:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The ingredients of the Lumis gimmick could work, but the execution has to be different. You can't have him be a cold eyed serial killer who draws boardwalk caricatures. What you do is you make him a superficially jovial artist who draws boardwalk caricatures where people are getting horribly murdered and doesn't understand why they creep people out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s neat that Lumis took a break from trying to capture Michael Myers, though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Or maybe having a babyface serial killer is just a never good gimmick that can't work no matter what and its moving deck chairs on a sinking ship that happens to be located on a second sinking ship.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Or maybe having a babyface serial killer is just a never good gimmick that can't work no matter what and its moving deck chairs on a sinking ship that happens to be located on a second sinking ship.

Sorry you lack the vision to be the next Vince Russo bud.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Shrimpy posted:

Chavo Traphouse has a certain “tertiary character from a Suda51 game” energy to it, which I appreciate

now there’s a fellow who I bet could book some interesting WWE Content

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sources in WWE's writing room say that there is no long-term plan for Raw Underground and they are making the story up as they go along

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Sources in WWE's writing room say that there is no long-term plan for Raw Underground and they are making the story up as they go along

Wow who could possibly have guessed

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A Fancy Hat posted:

All of these clips of WWE Underground are hilarious to me. It's a super-gritty underground fight club but there are 500 camera men down there and they make sure to put 10+ cuts into every 30 second fight. And nothing satisfying is ever going to come of this; either it'll remain a self-contained thing or one of the "legit fighters" will wrestle Seth Rollins or something and it'll be a disaster of clashing styles.

I cannot wait to see the clips from when Shane inevitably fights some 7 foot tall guy and kicks his rear end with the worst looking (yet somehow most dangerous in real life) punches ever. Just take Raw off the air for a while, retool the entire thing.

Yeah and maybe I'm missing some context (doubt it), but the question is.... Why is this happening? Within storyline why is this happening? Shane just decided to start a fight club and got WWE cameramen to come to it? Vince or HHH just allows it to happen? Are they happy about it? Angry? Why put it on their show?

I mean there's a kernel of a good idea in almost everything. While this was a dumb idea you could find a way for it to maybe work. Like a bunch of undercard guys get pissed, feel they aren't getting their fair shot, sick of all the rules, and decide to open a fight club to show what they can do. Heel, faces, doesn't matter. Then have them hack the Raw feed to get it to cut to them now and then. This is off the top of my head and is silly, but it's better than the clips I saw. Especially if the production was done different than normal Raw. This even works with the apparent Anti-fascist group. They could have broken into the production track and hacked the feed instead of throwing molotov cocktails at a box. But that would take a plan.

Or just put on a good wrestling show. They could try that too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe WWE should try a ChocoPro-style shoot Janken tournament next

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah and maybe I'm missing some context (doubt it), but the question is.... Why is this happening? Within storyline why is this happening? Shane just decided to start a fight club and got WWE cameramen to come to it? Vince or HHH just allows it to happen? Are they happy about it? Angry? Why put it on their show?

I mean there's a kernel of a good idea in almost everything. While this was a dumb idea you could find a way for it to maybe work. Like a bunch of undercard guys get pissed, feel they aren't getting their fair shot, sick of all the rules, and decide to open a fight club to show what they can do. Heel, faces, doesn't matter. Then have them hack the Raw feed to get it to cut to them now and then. This is off the top of my head and is silly, but it's better than the clips I saw. Especially if the production was done different than normal Raw. This even works with the apparent Anti-fascist group. They could have broken into the production track and hacked the feed instead of throwing molotov cocktails at a box. But that would take a plan.

Or just put on a good wrestling show. They could try that too.

Why spend weeks building things up when you can just jump right in?

Not that this thing would be any better if it stretched out for weeks where you see performance center people going into this back room that was guarded by a tall dude, had a week where you had a glimpse inside by accident, and then finally invited the cameras in the third week. But there is no anticipation. They showed what it was and the concept was executed so horribly that I can't see a reason to see what happens next. Okay, so Hurt Company has taken over? So... Lashley and Shelton are just going to destroy jobbers next week? Or is Hurt Company done since they beat up all the jobbers?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Like a bunch of undercard guys get pissed, feel they aren't getting their fair shot, sick of all the rules, and decide to open a fight club to show what they can do. Heel, faces, doesn't matter. Then have them hack the Raw feed to get it to cut to them now and then.

Nah, for that to work they would need to spend months establishing that a disgruntled midcarder is able to hack into shows at will!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For a serial killer gimmick to work he needs to kill people tho

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Astro7x posted:

Not that this thing would be any better if it stretched out for weeks where you see performance center people going into this back room that was guarded by a tall dude, had a week where you had a glimpse inside by accident, and then finally invited the cameras in the third week.

This is a pretty good idea. Like if a month ago midcarders' music would hit and they would no show. Like once or twice a show. And the question becomes where are these people?? Then, yeah, like you said, a camera sneaks it for a glimpse of fight club, and then the next week the cameras are there and it's revealed Shane is running a fight club. And they keep hacking into the Raw feed until after a few months all of the fighters team up Nexus style and burst into Raw and gently caress everything up. I don't know if that's a great storyline, but it would be a GOOD storyline especially during these trying times.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

1glitch0 posted:

This is a pretty good idea. Like if a month ago midcarders' music would hit and they would no show. Like once or twice a show. And the question becomes where are these people?? Then, yeah, like you said, a camera sneaks it for a glimpse of fight club, and then the next week the cameras are there and it's revealed Shane is running a fight club. And they keep hacking into the Raw feed until after a few months all of the fighters team up Nexus style and burst into Raw and gently caress everything up. I don't know if that's a great storyline, but it would be a GOOD storyline especially during these trying times.

Isn’t that basically how Chikara did it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jesus Christ this was in April? loving time distortions

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dacap posted:

Isn’t that basically how Chikara did it?

They did it with pretty much all trainees, so if they doubled down on the Babatunde and other performance center folks murdering people and then like Chad Gable disappearing to join the underground fight club it'd make more sense. Instead, here's Dolph Ziggler.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oldpainless posted:

Maybe he's a serial thriller

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Maybe he's a serial thriller

I dunno, have you seen his matches?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

It boggles my mind, because it should be the easiest gimmick in the world.

Make him walk slowly wherever he goes.

Have his entrance be just following his opponent to the ring.

Give him matches with jobbers where it's incredibly obvious the jobber "disappeared" from the locker room, and he wins by forfeit.

I know the difficulty is in making this pay off at some point, but they haven't given a poo poo about long term plans since the 80s.

Like, Jesus Christ, just think, WWE writers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They won't even commit to the idea that's a serial killer or whatever, he's just a "tortured artist". They're the stupidest loving company because they put all these weird constraints on themselves about the content of the show and then constantly try to do things that don't fit in those rules they made up.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dunno, have you seen his matches?

I refuse.

Meanwhile, WWE is banking on the success of a Khan to turn things around for them:
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1291013597431119875

bartok
May 10, 2006

Alaois posted:

Sam Shaw was literally a caricature artist at Universal as a side gig when he was wrestling for TNA

From now on I'm going to believe all the TNA "home grown" talent were guys they pulled from Universal Studios and asked if they wanted to be wrestlers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Not that this thing would be any better if it stretched out for weeks where you see performance center people going into this back room that was guarded by a tall dude, had a week where you had a glimpse inside by accident, and then finally invited the cameras in the third week. But there is no anticipation. They showed what it was and the concept was executed so horribly that I can't see a reason to see what happens next. Okay, so Hurt Company has taken over? So... Lashley and Shelton are just going to destroy jobbers next week? Or is Hurt Company done since they beat up all the jobbers?

Alvarez has been screaming for maybe a decade or more now that WWE far too often rushes to the turn or payoff instead of building to something in a way that might actually garner interest. Of course when they DO try and do a slow burn, Vince gets bored and develops cold feet, abandoning it after 3 weeks...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gumball Gumption posted:

They won't even commit to the idea that's a serial killer or whatever, he's just a "tortured artist". They're the stupidest loving company because they put all these weird constraints on themselves about the content of the show and then constantly try to do things that don't fit in those rules they made up.

Tortured artist is up there with Lunatic Fringe and Devourer of Worlds or whatever the gently caress. It's a cool sounding buzzword that their fanbase doesn't give a poo poo about.

You don't have to call Lumis anything. Just have prison guards walk him out in a prison jumpsuit, and let the viewer put it together.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean this seriously I'll take his art over the awful poo poo they slop out now

This actually makes me like Lumis slightly more than not at all, like gently caress it, "tortured caricature artist" is a fantastic joke

i legitimately like it and i like that even if it is something like caricature artist, like, idk its a cool thing to have in addition

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Someone please get Vince to see this video so we get a Dexter Lumis: King of Sting gimmick.

https://youtu.be/wUY_i5Tco68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That’s huge!