Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
As requested, here's a place to talk about the old days of AI, the people we've lost (literally and figuratively), and the long-lost projects and cars of yore. Pictures of yourselves decades ago are much appreciated.

I'll start:
I think the first photo of me on this forum was:

Newly-purchased $300 GTI, a mop of hair, and zero clue what I was doing.
November 2004...
Followed by:

January '05-ish- Mid engine-removal. Still a mop of hair and clueless.

For reference, here's a recent-ish picture of me and the wife:

I've got some of those old threads saved, and there's a litany of old familiar names just on the first page.
ShaneB (who I follow on IG)
Advent Horizon (Lost track of him, his girlfriend, and the Not-a-jeep FJ40 in Alaska)
Busdriver
Krakkles (with a custom title of "Sorry, Anger Monkey and trouser chili :(")
NotQuiteMac (again, lost track of them, last posted in '05)
ScootsMagoo
AcCel
Phat_Albert
grzydj (LOL, so much history there)
GTI_Guy (Hasn't posted in 5 years)
Bugdrvr
Redscare (2016)
ChrisStroud (we had many many AIM chats back in the day, I loong-ago lost track of him after he got into 240SXs)
ToiletDuck
minivanmegafun

DJCommie (whatup man)
frrtbkr (Who lives nearby and I'm still in touch with semi-regularly)

So, post your old archived threads, reminisce about old AI friends, and bitch about anyone with a 2010+ regdate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fleetwood75 had that badass SVT Crown Vic.

Also LoL Zordon.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Also LoL Zordon.
I kept in touch with Fleetwood for years on AIM. He was a really cool guy, and a wealth of knowledge. I miss his detailed "History of XX" posts. And yes, :lol: Zordon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awww, he was such a cool dude. I loves his car.

Honorable mention to racist Mustang guy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Racist mustang thread was the first thread I read in AI before I had an account, then the paywall went up, I lost track of it and forgot about it. After buying an account years later I learned about the racism and was sad.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

Racist mustang thread was the first thread I read in AI before I had an account, then the paywall went up, I lost track of it and forgot about it. After buying an account years later I learned about the racism and was sad.

Yup. Dan Alabaster AKA dalabast. I forget who pieced it together, but it someone I knew off-SA. That was a crazy loving ride.

unrelated mention: sharktearingme and the influx of shark avatars

::edit:: gently caress, there's a post from VERTiG0 on one of my first threads.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Krakauer sleuthed it out.

There's a car nearly identical to it for sale locally, i should get some pics.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The street sweeper stories were one of the earliest things I remember reading in AI. I think the poster had "bruise" in their name or something. It's probable I'm mixing up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

who was the goon who kept on doing lovely photos of cars, like taking a photo of one of the front headlights? He supposedly had parents that were loaded, and him and his brother had a huge drama thread here.

also RIMMMMMMMZ

Also one of the early mods of this forum who had a Tercel and kept on going how batshit insane his ex was, until we all found out he was pretty screwy as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

who was the goon who kept on doing lovely photos of cars, like taking a photo of one of the front headlights? He supposedly had parents that were loaded, and him and his brother had a huge drama thread here.
was that syf0n? lol

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

stevobob posted:

The street sweeper stories were one of the earliest things I remember reading in AI. I think the poster had "bruise" in their name or something. It's probable I'm mixing up.

That was bruiser iirc, he had that :krad: avatar of the flaming streetsweeper( incorrectly pictured as a garbage truck) from his stories.

Also notably it featured him dumping a load of refuse on a Subaru Baja with the sunroof open. Those stories were fun to read.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

was that syf0n? lol

ah yes, the "syf0n angle" :v:

I remember he cracked the shits at his brother in a thread because his brother wouldn't keep his Wrangler clean, and boy some family drama came out of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

was that syf0n? lol

lol i just thought the other day that i should take a syf0n shot of the m5, although i was just a lurker in that era (under a different username :tinfoil:)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The speed holes saga and OH poo poo A HAUSE are the first things I can remember from AI.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

also RIMMMMMMMZ

Rizzunk

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The jorts of Sockington and epic rust repairs can never be forgotten.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

McTinkerson posted:

that bloody 240SX

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I remember meeting DerBlitzkrieger at a goon meet, who was already hellbanned at that point and had an alt but dropped enough clues that it wasn’t too hard to figure out.

Also recall Schmoli and his second gen Camaro project, mostly because his avatar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

ah yes, the "syf0n angle" :v:

I remember he cracked the shits at his brother in a thread because his brother wouldn't keep his Wrangler clean, and boy some family drama came out of that.

HAHAHA oh did it ever. Wasnt it something about sfy0n claimed he owned some Porsche and his brother came and said nope?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I knew him before SA by way of the SomethingLeet art forum of the late-90's and very first year or two of the 2000's. I seem to remember him having a silver 350Z then crashing it into a guardrail or some poo poo in the rain.

I guess I missed the hilarity that came after that car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAHA oh did it ever. Wasnt it something about sfy0n claimed he owned some Porsche and his brother came and said nope?
It might have been a Ferrari, but something like that, yeah. It ended up being their dad's car, I think?

BlackMK4 posted:

I knew him before SA by way of the SomethingLeet art forum of the late-90's and very first year or two of the 2000's. I seem to remember him having a silver 350Z then crashing it into a guardrail or some poo poo in the rain.

I guess I missed the hilarity that came after that car.
I remember that 350Z and it ending, yeah.

I remember Rizzunk being a pretty nice guy, but man, he got a lot of crap.

Rhyno posted:

Krakauer sleuthed it out.
I should change my username to this. sigtrap was REALLY mad at me when I brought it up in the dude's thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I think the Ferrari was their father's.

Anyone else remember blow dog, the guy in the UK with the supercars, and we collectively chased him off? (https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=61225)
I still follow him on Flickr, he's got a beautiful orange R8 now. Still rocking a BLOWDOG plate, of some variant.

Also, it's amazing to see how much the forums have matured. I was digging in the archives, and found this gem from Belldandy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1345166#post293881086

Belldandy posted:

Its no secret that I am as dissatisified with my RSX-S as a woman is in bed with a guy who has a 1" penis. I have invested like 6000$ in this thing and was content until Octopus Magic went and fagged everything up by showing off his stutter box and drifting yesterday in his DSM. Because of this I did the logical thing and looked for someone to trade my RSX to.

We were all fine with that language, and no one blinked an eye.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 5, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

It might have been a Ferrari, but something like that, yeah. It ended up being their dad's car, I think?
I remember that 350Z and it ending, yeah.

I remember Rizzunk being a pretty nice guy, but man, he got a lot of crap.
I should change my username to this. sigtrap was REALLY mad at me when I brought it up in the dude's thread.

What a weird auto correct.

Yeah I remember a lot of people getting pissed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

I think the Ferrari was their father's.

Oh yeah now I remember. He posted he was the owner of a 911 for a while until his brother revealed it was their mother's car.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Rhyno posted:

Fleetwood moved to CA from Michigan, became a very close friend of mine - I still talk to him every few weeks, I'll tell him that he's been necromanced, maybe he'll appear - but he's one hell of a guy, he came here with a goal and 100% accomplished it. his own successful business, house in the burbs, wife, kid, cool cars... he succeeded at life like I've never seen anyone do before. The very first day he was here, I picked him up in the 58 caddy, we had some greasy rear end tommy's chili cheese burgers and went for a nauseating ride through the canyons in to hollywood to the beach.

I remember the Syf0n drama - man that guy was a trend setter :rolleye:, a bunch of little carbon copies of him running around cars and coffee now wearing drop crotch sweatpants toting cameras worth more than my car.

BoomerJinks and the jurassic park jeep/Ecto Magnum - man oh man. I don't really know how I came in to contact with him, but a close friend and I did a business trip to Denver back in 2008? 9? and he picked us up in the magnum and literally drove us everywhere, every diner, attraction, vintage poo poo you could think of. He was probably one of the best hosts I've ever had anywhere. He came to LA once and I tried to return the favor, in turn he introduced me to another guy who I'm still very close with. At the time I was doing a lot of special effects and studio work, so I got to take him to some cool places like cinema vehicle services and some prop houses that he wouldn't have been able to get in to - I think he got pretty wrapped up in the internet/gamer/anime thing and kinda went off the deep end, went thru a divorce and I think even got in trouble with the law - whenever I ask anyone about him, the answer is always the same .."I don't know"- which is a real shame considering he was one of the coolest guys IRL.

PaulBozMR2 - loving devastating - we'd talk all the time even though our taste in cars was completely different, the guy had a great outlook on life, he was very smart and was doing some crazy stuff with his career - but he encountered a string of really bad luck - He came to LA a few times and we always had a ball, great meals and drinks, fun times crusing my old bullshit around and generally really good hearty fun. My wife even loved him which is surprising because she doesn't usually care for my "internet friends". Sadly Paul took his own life at the end of last year. He was really a great guy.

Bob W. the guy that had the 60s Pontiac convertibles, cant remeber his handle, but he and I talk regularly on facebook. Last year I commented on a post he made about the regional PA meat like substance "Scrapple" and he sent me some out of the goodness of his own heart to try - a very acquired taste...

Most of the other guys that I spoke with back in the day I still do and thats really cool - Nate, Bob, Kiril, Scott -- the list goes on. it seems that some of them have moved away from the forums, but I still keep in touch with them! I recall coming to a meetup once on PCH that was extremely awkward - I remember there was a fender bender that was extremely embarrassing, and I remember general young man awkwardness. IIRC there was a BMW 2002 and a lotus elise there as well. did i mention it was awkward?

I also recall going to another "goon meet" that was going on outside of Ai. I remember thinking.. ahh what if theres a cute nerd chick there (this was before I met my wife). I pulled up and did the classic "drop the rayban sunglasses down my nose to check out what was going on" and promptly drove away without even getting out of my big pink cadillac. it was, again, very awkward.

I remember being really upset when the thread tags came out that people were misusing the "Old Car" tag - I think I might have complained about it and got flamed to the moon and back about it.

That being said, I still talk to a lot of you guys - we've all been on this weird rollercoaster from forums to social media and strangely enough for me now, back to forums because social media has become kinda stressed for me. I like facebook groups, but its almost... too specific?

Great thread top rated

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm kind of a lurker, so I guess I don't have too many stories from back in the day, but I did go to a goon drive a few years ago. I remember seeing nm, dema, das volk, and a guy whose username I forget who has/had a supercharged miata and could not go two sentences without one of them including "subaru 360" somewhere in it. It was a fun romp around skyline, with lunch at Alice's, of course. I was a bit apprehensive about meeting internet strangers, but I think a good day was had by all.

I was pretty close irl friends with a guy I met in town here, whom I later found out posted in AI. His username was Prelude Gundam, and he was into Hondas and drove an Integra. I actually lived a couple hours away when we met, but I moved down after a year or two. Unfortunately, he passed from an unexpected illness shortly before I moved, so we never got to spend more than a couple days hanging out in person. He posted about as much as I do, which is to say not much, but maybe someone remembers.

I'm glad this community has stuck around as it has; this really is the best car forum on the internet. Lots of you guys I would hang out with if I lived in the area, there have been tons of cool project threads over the years. Like tehk's and doogle's respective big turbo big power builds, moocow's restorations, or even normal stuff like boaz's Nova or bigpaddy's GP. And LBX, your dedication to living the classic life is inspiring. You're basically who I want to be when I grow up, even though I'm in my 30s, haha. By the way, I think the guy with the Pontiacs is PainterOfCrap.

Remember the guy in HK who would post tons of slick photos of immaculate cars being daily driven there? I don't remember his name, but his shots were always great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
SPEED AND CLASS with a YELLOW DIPSTICK.

Plus a shitload of other cool/stupid stuff that I've long forgotten about.

Do wonder where some people vanished off to. Blowdog(Biowedge!), Das Volk etc.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What was the name of that guy with the cobbled together British roadster whose posts were stream-of-consciousness about his long drives?

Raluek posted:

Remember the guy in HK who would post tons of slick photos of immaculate cars being daily driven there? I don't remember his name, but his shots were always great.

I actually had one of his shots printed and framed and hung on my bedroom wall for most of my bachelorhood. His username was Wan Chai or some variation thereof (which is a neighborhood in HK.)

sharkytm posted:

Advent Horizon (Lost track of him, his girlfriend, and the Not-a-jeep FJ40 in Alaska)

Oh yeah, he had some interesting stuff.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Do wonder where some people vanished off to. Blowdog(Biowedge!), Das Volk etc.

BIOWEDGE!

And there was some drama with Das Volk and a chick who was a service writer at a dealership. Her posts were actually super entertaining.

Then there was fjelltorsk, Norwegian dude who claimed to have cancer, only one testicle, a Tesla, which he crashed, twins, a doctor wife, and impending move to the US, some firefighting going on, and then it turned out to all be lies for internet notoriety. Too bad, really, 'cause he wasn't a bad guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

BIOWEDGE!

And there was some drama with Das Volk and a chick who was a service writer at a dealership. Her posts were actually super entertaining.
Goatse Guy. I think she was still posting on the FB group for a while, but not sure she does any more?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still friends with her on FB and she's doing really great in her real world life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Goatse Guy. I think she was still posting on the FB group for a while, but not sure she does any more?

Something toxic happened in the background. I dont know exactly what happened but I read something about relationship drama and immediatly noped out and filed under None of my loving business

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There was also this guy who bought up cars and fixed them up. Cleaned them really nicely and sold and a modest but steady profit. It was super interesting. He had a knack for finding undervalued stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LobsterboyX posted:

PaulBozMR2 - loving devastating - we'd talk all the time even though our taste in cars was completely different, the guy had a great outlook on life, he was very smart and was doing some crazy stuff with his career - but he encountered a string of really bad luck - He came to LA a few times and we always had a ball, great meals and drinks, fun times crusing my old bullshit around and generally really good hearty fun. My wife even loved him which is surprising because she doesn't usually care for my "internet friends". Sadly Paul took his own life at the end of last year. He was really a great guy.

Ah drat, really? :smith:

Did frozenphil ever finish his Mustang?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

Fleetwood moved to CA from Michigan, became a very close friend of mine - I still talk to him every few weeks, I'll tell him that he's been necromanced, maybe he'll appear - but he's one hell of a guy, he came here with a goal and 100% accomplished it. his own successful business, house in the burbs, wife, kid, cool cars... he succeeded at life like I've never seen anyone do before. The very first day he was here, I picked him up in the 58 caddy, we had some greasy rear end tommy's chili cheese burgers and went for a nauseating ride through the canyons in to hollywood to the beach.

That being said, I still talk to a lot of you guys - we've all been on this weird rollercoaster from forums to social media and strangely enough for me now, back to forums because social media has become kinda stressed for me. I like facebook groups, but its almost... too specific?

Great thread top rated
I'm thrilled to hear about Fleetwood. He was a great person to chat with, and iirc, he was working for the Corps in MI. Glad to hear his life has taken a positive trajectory. We were both desk jockeys when I graduated from college, so there was lots of time on AIM just shooting the poo poo.

And yeah, Paul was one of those I was referring to when I said "lost, literally or figuratively". I know of at least one other goon who took their own life, and it's a sad story all around. It puts your own life in perspective when you hear about other people's struggles. We all intrinsically know that death and suicide and addiction and person struggle is "a thing" in the world, but you get numb to it when you're surrounded by the 24/7/365 news cycle, social media, and cynicism. I don't know about you folks, but it really hits home when someone you've talked to for years online has one of these events occur.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Sock is working on a pretty kick-rear end fishin' boat right now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How did things work out with Viggen? He was never really the same after his crash, and at some point kind of vanished.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

sharkytm posted:

minivanmegafun

Oh poo poo, I halfway forgot that minivanmegafun was on SA. I'm friends with them IRL and we used to hang out when I was living in Chicago.

Whatever happened to the Biturbo guy from Seattle? Last I heard he was in Nebraska for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sock is working on a pretty kick-rear end fishin' boat right now.

It’s not much to write home about.

2 feet longer and 8” taller.