Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does the frequent folder feature for right-clicking the explorer icon in the task bar actually work for anyone? For me it's always showing random poo poo I opened recently, especially if they're new folders, and never the folders I actually frequently open.
I know I can pin the actual frequent folders, but they'd have to show up in the list first.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

I know I can pin the actual frequent folders, but they'd have to show up in the list first.

Grab a folder you want pinned and drag it onto quick access in the tree pane of the explorer windows. Or drag it onto the explorer icon on the taskbar.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Well I wanted to drop $200 on XBOX elite controller and 3 year warranty on the Microsoft Store, but the app and website wont let me "review and checkout" This is on a pretty fresh clean install of windows (maybe 2 weeks)

I tried some troubleshooting, and now I'm going to Version 2004 because someone on my news feed said most the bugs are ironed out, wish me luck!

Shutup and take my money! :shepspends:

Edit: So you have to purchase the controller, then purchase the warranty, I had 5 controllers in my cart when I just selected the controller by itself, I was pulling the warranty from commonly bought together.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 2, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When I use my 2 in 1 laptop as a desktop (closed lid, connected to a display), it always defaults to tablet mode when waking. Can't figure out how to fix this without disabling tablet mode altogether.

You'd think this would be enough

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
probably something busted in the drivers for the screen flip detection, or just buggy windows as usual

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rinkles posted:

So at some point it'll just ask for the old key, and everything should be fine?
Can confirm it definitely still works, I just installed Windows 10 Pro on Friday night on an effectively brand new desktop (replaced everything but the GPU and a hard drive) using the same Windows 7 key I bought back in 2009 that's been used through a half dozen incarnations of this computer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another laptop-as-desktop issue: When I power on the laptop (again closed lid, connected to a display via hdmi) after it's off, the monitor turns on and displays what you'd expect. But the monitor goes to sleep as soon Windows boots. I have to open and close the lid to get the image back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's frustrating how much the settings/control panel options change between updates.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is the display set to mirror or extend the desktop? It seems like a display settings thing, but when I run a monitor off a laptop it's always been with the external display set as extended, so I'm not sure what the mirrored behavior would be. I never have the laptop closed except when it's sleeping or off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Soon as the lid closes I think it auto selects "PC screen only", or it might just be what it displays by default since you can't change the options (if you reopen the Project menu again after choosing another one of the options, it'll always go back to the "PC screen only" option). e:it's not a big deal i guess, but having the lid closed is convenient for space reasons

The reason I was complaining about the settings ui changing, was that the option to disable the sign in after wake requirement seems to have vanished.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 3, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, goons

I just updated from 8.1 to 10 and just wanted to ask if there are any apps or settings that I should change/disable in general?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

I just updated from 8.1 to 10 and just wanted to ask if there are any apps or settings that I should change/disable in general?

I usually use the recommended settings from ShutUp10

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

No.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

There's a setting in the Start Menu options to disable promotional apps appearing randomly on your system I always turn off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I also disable the Cortana search box that takes up half the taskbar

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still replace the slow as poo poo ugly start menu Lol

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the input!

FCKGW posted:

I also disable the Cortana search box that takes up half the taskbar
lol yeah I nuked that instantly

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

You can powershell out candy crush and a few other things or revo uninstaller them.

I just don't use the other things, the less stuff you mess with the less likely to break something and windows will put some back during certain updates?

I used to go whole hog "tweaking" things but then you might run into mystery problems down the road.

I can't be a hypocrite about privacy on windows because I also have a Google phone and several smart devices.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Out of interest, why wait so long to upgrade? 10 has always been better than 8.1, pretty much from the word go.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows 10 was actually a shitshow for a good chunk of time in my experience. Anyone remember the early days when the start menu just didn't open when clicking start? Now it's just slow, but wow that was annoying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Out of interest, why wait so long to upgrade? 10 has always been better than 8.1, pretty much from the word go.

I kept my old desktop on Windows 7 since I used it almost entirely for gaming and didn't want to hassle with doing an upgrade to a system that had a lot of teething problems around gaming. It's upgraded now, but when it was my main machine I put off updating as it seemed like too much risk with little to no reward.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't see a lot of useful difference between 8.1 and 10. Apart from the look of the start menu. YMMV though. I don't need bleeding edge directx improvements or whatever and I'm not adding a lot of new hardware to the setup that might not have drivers or something. 8.1 expires in 2023, I'll probably buy a new laptop then.

I would probably have upgraded way back if I had any issues using this as a DAW with hundreds of plugins installed, but now I don't want to rock the boat.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It had a lot of problems when it came out iirc and I wanted to wait a bit to have microsoft hammer those out. Then I pretty much forgot about it/ was too lazy to take the time to make the upgrade because 8.1 was still working fine and I didn't want to "upset" my working system

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't see a lot of useful difference between 8.1 and 10.
As I was told the big difference is that serious updates/support for everything below 10 kinda stopped/is on the way to being phased out and especially on the front of security updates that's sort of a big deal imo. And development of software is also directed towards Win 10 as the basic framework now. Like a little while ago I changed my old 2GB GPU for a newer 8GB GPU and the driver/utillity software from radeon was straight up unable to work with 8.1 and some other older win versions. I assume because they see no sense in putting work towards "dead" platforms. Had to jump through a few hoops to manually instal a basic driver for my GPU without any of the utillity software and that sucked. I'm not a cutting-edge gamer but even being in a comfortable mid-tier nowadays just seems to have moved past the point where I was at so I felt it was time to catch up where it was most needed.

The upgrade through the microsoft update helper was pretty smooth and painless btw. Took a few hours to do but my system/data stayed intact and I have no issues so far. It's still free btw if you have a legit win 7/8.1 copy that's activated with a product key

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Windows 8.1 will get security updates for another three years or thereabouts, much like Windows 7 did until somewhat recently. I don't expect Microsoft to renegotiate on that. If they do, I'll obviously reconsider. All the rest was covered under your mileage may vary. It was useful to you to update and you were right to do it, yes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Last Chance posted:

Windows 10 was actually a shitshow for a good chunk of time in my experience. Anyone remember the early days when the start menu just didn't open when clicking start? Now it's just slow, but wow that was annoying.
As an early adopter I didn't see any of the Start menu issues people reported, and I put it down entirely to Cortana not being released in my region.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I was a very early adopter of windows 10 and frankly it was a half finished beta when it came out, and I've started to really resent this new system of making your customers unpaid beta testers. It was annoying enough that every other video game spends the first year or two of release in 'early access' but it's even more egregious now that it's the norm for Microsoft. You basically got to watch as they migrated stuff out of the old control panel bit by bit; clobbered together the new UI aesthetic bit by bit - Arguably it still isn't finished; and there's a whole heap of legacy cruft floating around. Windows 10 should have been released this year. And still; if you dig around in the guts of windows and you'll find interfaces that look like they've been ripped straight out of windows 3.1. It's really sloppy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I only adopted Windows 10 since January, and my overall impression is that it is pretty sloppy. It limits customization, spies on you, has the usual Microsoft trash you can't remove or disable entirely, and it's a sloppy uneven mess.

I've said this before, and am not knowledgeable enough to recommend this to anyone else, but I even check a separate blog that tells me when it's more or less safe just to apply patches to Windows 10. It's 2020, and I'm doing this.

The things I tend to appreciate over 7, such as better Bluetooth support, were absolute junk in their previous versions and are now merely less so.

My current favorite bug is opening a new virtual desktop and trying to navigate to it with the mouse. It usually slides back to a desktop with existing windows until I use the keyboard shortcut.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I just assumed Bluetooth is a bad standard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Windows 10 Bluetooth is definitely better than it was in Windows 7 - that's been one big improvement, at least.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rinkles posted:

I just assumed Bluetooth is a bad standard.

The standard seems to be fine, it's just that the driver/hardware support is often terrible. It's only relatively recently that it's been getting popular enough for developers to spend time ironing out implementation bugs.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's fine for wireless headphones and I guess wearables. Trying to transfer files between phones shows how horribly outdated Bluetooth is. I lose my patience a few minutes in, upload the file to some cloud provider, send the share link and download the file on the other phone before the Bluetooth transfer even hits halfway.

All modern phones are capable of several hundred mbit connections through either wifi or mobile data, yet Bluetooth putters along at a speed last relevant in the 00s.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also connecting more than one device at a time (like headphones and a gamepad) has always resulted in issues for me.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Geemer posted:

It's fine for wireless headphones and I guess wearables. Trying to transfer files between phones shows how horribly outdated Bluetooth is. I lose my patience a few minutes in, upload the file to some cloud provider, send the share link and download the file on the other phone before the Bluetooth transfer even hits halfway.

All modern phones are capable of several hundred mbit connections through either wifi or mobile data, yet Bluetooth putters along at a speed last relevant in the 00s.

Yeah, Bluetooth sucks for bulk data transfer because the spec has generally been tailored for low-power devices. The Bluetooth 5 spec released in 2016 added the option of bursting at the expense of range (double speed for a whopping 2Mbit/s), but there's still the question of whether your hardware supports that spec and whether your software knows to take advantage of it. You're using Bluetooth because it's smaller and sips battery, not because it's going to be replacing WiFi.

Rinkles posted:

Also connecting more than one device at a time (like headphones and a gamepad) has always resulted in issues for me.

I think that's probably a driver issue. I use Bluetooth for my peripherals with my laptop and problems are pretty much always on the laptop's side, and pairing watches with my phone generally just works. Headset does run into more arcane issues but it also has the most complicated setup because of multi-point pairing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maybe the year of linux on the desktop will finally arrive, not because linux got good but because windows got insanely bad

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Weedle posted:

maybe the year of linux on the desktop will finally arrive, not because linux got good but because windows got insanely bad

That sounds like a reasonable prediction

It's almost beyond belief that basic stuff like the control panel / settings situation still is a problem after almost 8 years. 8 years! we went from Windows 3.11 to XP in that time, but these days Microsoft is too busy mucking things up or adding new crap to polish basic functionality

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 5, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Some goon told me to try open-shell about a year ago, It feels better than win 10 start menu, other than that I'm pretty vanilla though.
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If I wasn't a gamer I'd have bought a Mac years ago. Say what you will about apple but they know how to do polish. I made the switch to an iphone 5 years ago after Microsoft poo poo the bed with Windows Phone (it had so much potential) and I haven't looked back. Gaming is the only thing keeping me from going full Apple. I had hoped that might change when Apple started supporting external GPUs but now with the whole ARM switch I can see I'm never going to be able to leave Windows.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Lord Bude posted:

I was a very early adopter of windows 10 and frankly it was a half finished beta when it came out, and I've started to really resent this new system of making your customers unpaid beta testers. It was annoying enough that every other video game spends the first year or two of release in 'early access' but it's even more egregious now that it's the norm for Microsoft. You basically got to watch as they migrated stuff out of the old control panel bit by bit; clobbered together the new UI aesthetic bit by bit - Arguably it still isn't finished; and there's a whole heap of legacy cruft floating around. Windows 10 should have been released this year. And still; if you dig around in the guts of windows and you'll find interfaces that look like they've been ripped straight out of windows 3.1. It's really sloppy.

I hear you're just mad Cortana is a circle and not the actual sexy woman from the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I kept my old desktop on Windows 7 since I used it almost entirely for gaming and didn't want to hassle with doing an upgrade to a system that had a lot of teething problems around gaming. It's upgraded now, but when it was my main machine I put off updating as it seemed like too much risk with little to no reward.
Staying on 7 was understandable, at least until the end of support. I have no problem with someone who chose to wait until the last 6 months or so before the deadline to make that switch.

The post you were replying to was talking specifically about people who stayed on 8 or 8.1, which is much harder to understand because they'd already gone through most of the pain. There's very little that changed for the worse in 10 from 8/8.1, for the most part 10 smoothed over the sharp edges of the 7->8 transition and made it an OS that you'd actually want to use on non-touch devices.

isndl posted:

The standard seems to be fine, it's just that the driver/hardware support is often terrible. It's only relatively recently that it's been getting popular enough for developers to spend time ironing out implementation bugs.
Also not helped by the fact that Microsoft didn't initially provide a protocol stack for it, and when they did it was limited (no support for A2DP high quality audio until Windows 8), so third party stacks became entrenched each with their own quirks. This made trying to troubleshoot problems much harder because most users had no idea which stack they were running and might even end up with different ones for the same hardware depending on if they installed a vendor driver package or just plugged it in and let Windows handle things.

Weedle posted:

To be fair, that's the only way it was ever going to happen. And that's as someone whose daily laptop has run Linux for years.