Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah this isn’t surprising in the slightest, and they would’ve been doing something similar at some point even without covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

esperterra posted:

Doesn't Amazon Prime do that already? Rolling a bunch of their digital rentals into the library for the stuff you get from the sub. My mum and I wanted to watch A Star is Born while we were visiting but it was only available on Prime for rent, so we watched The Godfather instead

Yes, but they also don't charge $30 for rentals

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amazon rentals are 3-4 bucks not 30

It seems ridiculous to me but who knows what people will do

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Amazon charges $20 for rentals of new release movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon has the movie adaptation of Oprah Winfrey's favorite huckster book "The Secret" available to rent for $20.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/whos-the-boss-sequel-series-1234725581/

Sony is developing a Who's the Boss? sequel series with Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano but no Judith Light. I guess Angela was definitely not the boss.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon rentals for theatrical window releases absolutely are in that range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B08DGXHQMH/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_VwJQlb_sEzQas_10_1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B08BDJ9SBB/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_VwJQlb_sQQtlM_9_2

It's the studios that set the prices for theater rental windows, it's just that in this case Disney is both the studio and the streaming distributor.

Look, Disney live action adaptations are billion dollar box office movies. It's not an Onward situation where they at least managed to scrape $100 million out of the box office before everything closed down. Their options are hold on to it until sometime next fall where it might possibly maybe be safe for some of the population to go to a theater, or try to scrape some extra bucks out of it now.

The beauty to them is it's no risk. They put it up and see if people bite (and they will because it's new content in an age where their prime-time has ground to a halt) and when it stops making money, they can pull it for a period and then "release" it on the normal streaming tier.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Plus the theaters all caved and realized they have to play ball with whatever the studios want if they have a chance of surviving this pandemic.

The model is going to have to massively shift and I'm betting what's going to happen is these big 20 screen theaters are going to try and work out a deal where they air schedules of wildly popular old movies. I'm sure in big markets if there are regular screenings of the LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, etc. movies every few months they'll make enough money to be worthwhile.

The House of Mouse would probably be showing films to a packed house every night if they started playing the classic and iconic films in rotation at a theater somewhere. There's no shortage of people so hungry for a big screen showing of Beauty and the Beast (sing along maybe?) they wouldn't think twice of driving down for a day to see it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pentyne posted:

Plus the theaters all caved and realized they have to play ball with whatever the studios want if they have a chance of surviving this pandemic.

The model is going to have to massively shift and I'm betting what's going to happen is these big 20 screen theaters are going to try and work out a deal where they air schedules of wildly popular old movies. I'm sure in big markets if there are regular screenings of the LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, etc. movies every few months they'll make enough money to be worthwhile.

The House of Mouse would probably be showing films to a packed house every night if they started playing the classic and iconic films in rotation at a theater somewhere. There's no shortage of people so hungry for a big screen showing of Beauty and the Beast (sing along maybe?) they wouldn't think twice of driving down for a day to see it.

You were also already starting to see a shift in cinemas too. A lot of theaters are transitioning (or already had) a good chunk of theater space into the luxury experience, with food and drink service. Both those things can exist comfortably together.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Universal and AMC just came to deal like last week that drastically shrank the exclusivity window to just 17 days. I can easily see that window eroding further such that the theater experience consists of the opening weekend and the following week before it jumps to premium VOD.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Huh, now I am reading that it is not a rental fee, but lets you buy it (but only play it through Disney+, which you can download for offline viewing) which is different. Its still unclear if it will ever be available for free to stream even months from its release though. I wonder if they will do their vault thing and have a rotating collection of newer stuff alongside a permanent collection.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sirotan posted:

The stars of Supernatural are about to do a live sing along with Kansas in a sec here, doing a live chat right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRjZ-pgUvs

Edit: lmao they are going to try adding 250 fans to also sing at the same time, gonna just be a noise-along

Man...how did Zoom take over everything when skype and google hangout had such a big lead over it.

oh man...this sing along...

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 5, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TV Zombie posted:

Man...how did Zoom take over everything when skype and google hangout had such a big lead over it.

They gave free accounts to educational institutes who were one of the first sectors to react to covid, and made huge grounds in next to no time due to it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon has the movie adaptation of Oprah Winfrey's favorite huckster book "The Secret" available to rent for $20.

Yeah, but that's "early access" (and they know they can squeeze the Oprah fans). It's usually more like $8 and purchase for $20-24

Disney's prices, like everything they produce, are just parent blackmail prices

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Azhais posted:

Yeah, but that's "early access" (and they know they can squeeze the Oprah fans). It's usually more like $8 and purchase for $20-24

Disney's prices, like everything they produce, are just parent blackmail prices

I don't think you are getting it. Several movies that are missing their theatrical window are and have been renting for higher prices. For example, this year's reboot of "The Invisible Man" was renting for $20 back in March. NOW you can rent it for $5.99 and buy it for $14.99, but 4 months ago it was a $20 rental because it had to skip theaters. Trolls World Tour was similar.

That's what "Early Access" is. It's the substitute for the theatrical window. Studios aren't going just go straight to sell through home video when the theaters aren't open (unless they are trying to bury a mistake like Artimis Fowl). It's the same deal with Mulan.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Disney will also double dip and release it in theaters in the USA eventually. "Come see Mulan the way it was meant to be seen!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Disney will also double dip and release it in theaters in the USA eventually. "Come see Mulan the way it was meant to be seen!"

They literally said as much in the press release...

Select US markets (basically where theaters are allowed to open) and digital, with a limited release outside the US (again, depending on theaters operability).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I for one welcome our new 'rent this during the time it woulda been in theatres' overlords, because it means I can watch things for free at home during the release window but without Korean subtitles!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah gonna pirate the gently caress out of that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

I like it OK. I thought the conclusion was pretty clever. Did not shed any tears when it got canceled though; the premise was already wearing thin.

The premise was fine and I wish they'd kept making them. It's not like most of Netflix's shows are actually good

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
They even had the setup for a season three about Peter being absolutely the worst guy seeded through seasons one and two. They might not have been able to keep it going past that but there was definitely still life left.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Malcolm in the Middle doing a zoom reunion:

https://www.heart.co.uk/showbiz/tv-movies/malcolm-in-the-middle-reunion-cast-now/

Glad to see everyones up for it, with all the rumours of the kids being kind of hosed up now. Hope it leads to a Netflix miniseries.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Malcolm in the Middle Management.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

Malcolm in the Middle doing a zoom reunion:

https://www.heart.co.uk/showbiz/tv-movies/malcolm-in-the-middle-reunion-cast-now/

Glad to see everyones up for it, with all the rumours of the kids being kind of hosed up now. Hope it leads to a Netflix miniseries.

I wonder if Frankie Muniz ever got better. Last I'd heard, he doesn't remember any of shooting Malcolm in the Middle because he banged his head so often being a pretend race car driver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't the younger Masterson also a scientologist?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if Frankie Muniz ever got better. Last I'd heard, he doesn't remember any of shooting Malcolm in the Middle because he banged his head so often being a pretend race car driver.

Man it must suck to be so into racecar driving that you get into enough accidents to get brain damage and still have people on the internet smirking and saying you're one of those fake racer boys.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Man it must suck to be so into racecar driving that you get into enough accidents to get brain damage and still have people on the internet smirking and saying you're one of those fake racer boys.

He actually did fairly well later on, too. If it wasn’t for some surgery and the fact that he had a bunch of strokes he probably would have had a pretty decent though not outstanding career.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Hey, it's yet another reason not to use your riches to pursue a career as a race car driver.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ridley Scott made himself a TV show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Ridley or Bad Ridley?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We haven’t heard from Good Ridley in quite some time.

Anyway time to break the record for person who has seen You’re the Worst the most times

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that looks bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo that looks bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rather watch the 3 Little Pigs music video by Green Jelly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My parents really want me to watch Loudermilk but the last time they were this passionate about me watching a show was Undateable which uhhhhh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

My parents really want me to watch Loudermilk but the last time they were this passionate about me watching a show was Undateable which uhhhhh

Maybe they were trying to tell you something...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, Ridley Scott's stuff has been a mess recently, but it can still be an entertaining mess. I'll certainly check it out at some point.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 5, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is also one of the zillion projects that Ridley attaches his name as an executive producer to, as opposed to being actively involved with .

quote:

Writer and creator Aaron Guzikowski, David W. Zucker (“The Man in the High Castle”), Jordan Sheehan (“The Terror”), Adam Kolbrenner (“Prisoners”) and Mark Huffam (“The Martian”) all serve as executive producers.

Edit: Okay, it looks like Scott did direct the ten episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

“Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were… I can’t remember if (screenwriter) Hampton (Fancher) agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, ‘Well, isn’t it corny?’ I said, ‘Listen, I’ll be the best loving judge of that. I’m the director, okay?’ So, and that, you learn — you know, by then I’m 44, so I’m no loving chicken. I’m a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I’m able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, ‘You know, back off, it’s what it’s gonna be.’ Harrison (Ford), he was never — I don’t remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, ‘Uh, I don’t know about that.’ I said, ‘But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, ‘I’ve been here, I left her alive, and I can’t resist letting you know what’s in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a loving unicorn!’ ‘ Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is ‘Duh.’ So now it will be revealed (in the sequel), one way or the other.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ren-stimpy-show-revived-at-comedy-central-1306011

:negative: