Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Klingons just actively get off on spartan accommodations

Also they eat worms

Klingons individually would really enjoy common humanoid creature comforts but they're afraid of looking like sissies in front of the other warriors so they all put up with posture-destroying slabs of cold iron for beds.

Even when Worf was devolving into a crab monster he didn't just plop down on the floor, he ripped up the bedding and then made a nest out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

worf likes pillows n plum juice hes no klingon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McSpanky posted:

Klingons individually would really enjoy common humanoid creature comforts but they're afraid of looking like sissies in front of the other warriors so they all put up with posture-destroying slabs of cold iron for beds.

Even when Worf was devolving into a crab monster he didn't just plop down on the floor, he ripped up the bedding and then made a nest out of it.

I dunno, Worf was pissy about having an actual bed on DS9 til he decided he'd bunk in the Defiant, which I remind you has submarine-tier accommodations

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, Worf was pissy about having an actual bed on DS9 til he decided he'd bunk in the Defiant, which I remind you has submarine-tier accommodations

They really dialed up Worf's klingabooness in DS9, he never complained about the beds on the Love Boat Enterprise.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Statutory Ape posted:

worf likes pillows n plum juice hes no klingon

Fake E: Oh hey, how about that: prunes are just raisin-plums?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

maybe 'a warriors drink' is in reference to his prune juice bowel movement

the bat'leth of the colon

...e: .... the butt'leth

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I always assumed klingons metabolized prune juice weird so "warrior's drink" meant it was as intoxicating as bloodwine for him and he didn't elaborate because then he couldn't show up to the bridge drunk anymore

this is also why he can hold his own with alcohol-soaked warriors in an evening of boozin' without literally dying, he has insane tolerance because he's drunk on prune squeezings 24/7 despite being a massive square

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

McSpanky posted:

They really dialed up Worf's klingabooness in DS9, he never complained about the beds on the Love Boat Enterprise.

we saw him arrive on DS9. he was already posted on the Enterprise when the show started so presumably had sorted furnishing his quarters before then.

season one TNG was worse for Worf's character playing up the Klingonness. cringe like "this is sex!" when Q's magics him up a rape slave.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The best part of DS9 is federation officers routinely threatening physical violence against the ferengi running minor scams but are also 100% cool with Klingons getting furiously drunk in the bar and assaulting people in random bar fights while loudly praising violence, war and imperialism.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
What if the Federation... was bad? [Is given own series, is hailed as genius]

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Owling Howl posted:

The best part of DS9 is federation officers routinely threatening physical violence against the ferengi running minor scams but are also 100% cool with Klingons getting furiously drunk in the bar and assaulting people in random bar fights while loudly praising violence, war and imperialism.

Also also easy to forget how the Klingons did their Empire building before the Feds buddy up with them in DS9 - remember the few episodes of the original series where Klingons 'negotiate' with non-ftl species? Lots of screaming, pillaging, public executions and terror. Feds looking back: "Huh, those wacky klingons with their creative warrior culture!"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

McSpanky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

Fun watch, Galaxys are completely insane.

That’s like half the square footage of the Boeing Everett factory, for a real life comparison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not sure if it came up before, but... The Technodrome from the first TMNT cartoon is basically the villain counterpart to the Millennium Falcon, a super advanced and legitimately deadly war machine, but clunky as gently caress and Shredder and Krang seem to have no idea how to use it, and you can tell what season you're watching by where they've gotten it stuck this time.

Thing is that this is an excellent writing decision, as it means the villain threat level can be whatever it needs to be for the plot to work, depending on what they've gotten working this week. Was actually a plot point in Turtles Forever that a competent, technologically literate Shredder from the later series can turn it into a universal threat.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the beds on ds9 still stank like cardassian hair grease, I'd sleep on the defiant too.

I'm gonna say those insignia communicators are hot garbage. lifeline to the federation but it's held on by a dime store magnet and if it comes off they have no technology capable of finding you.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
TNG era phasers. The ergonomics of how you hold them are terrible let alone how the gently caress anyone can aim without sights.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

TNG era phasers. The ergonomics of how you hold them are terrible let alone how the gently caress anyone can aim without sights.

phaser rifles were p. good

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Given Trek technology and Trek's philosophy of "everything is insanely convenient and requires no effort" they should probably aim themselves, do some kind of sensor doohickey and just fire the beam where it needs to go.

Nov 6, 2002

They supposedly have aim assist. Which is why they work so well and certainly no one simply lazily ducks or shifts slightly to the left during a phaser battle to avoid getting hit.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

I feel having lethal and non-lethal settings on the same device is more of an issue.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Owling Howl posted:

I feel having lethal and non-lethal settings on the same device is more of an issue.

This reminds me of O'Brien aggressively mocking the Cardassians for their redundant systems.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Phasers are one of several Star Trek technologies that don't make much sense.

Justin B Rye posted:

As Roddenberry said at every opportunity, a TV cop doesn't pause in a chase scene to explain how his gun works. But then, nor does he use it to phone home; it has reasonable limitations. I'm not asking for explanations; just explicability. What kind of beam could function as:

A. A non‐thermal, almost‐any‐metabolism stunner with no ill effects;
B. A localised cutting ray (its normal effect against starship hulls);
C. A deathray, leaving a scorchless corpse for relatives to weep over;
D. A beam of warmth, useful for heating up rocks or cups of coffee; or
E. A no‐mess no‐fuss hygieno‐vanisher, causing its victims to glow red and disappear, not leaving behind searing‐hot clouds of reeking gases?

The only plausible answer is to tie it in as a military application of transporters; Mark‐two phaser beams put a “transporter field” around the target and project it permanently into subspace (but an undersized field simply dissipates as heat). The field may in fact include and annihilate the phaser itself; watch those suicides in “What are Little Girls Made of?” (ST:TOS1), and “The Wrath of Khan” (ST:TMP2). I'm ignoring the questions raised (e.g., ST:TNG3) in “The Vengeance Factor” (“knockback” with no recoil, plus (A) and (E) on a sliding scale – i.e. a difference purely of degree!); nor have I explained “stun” yet. Perhaps it's a neurological (or “psionic”) side‐effect of intense transporter fields, nullified somehow in normal transporters?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 3, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Given Trek technology and Trek's philosophy of "everything is insanely convenient and requires no effort" they should probably aim themselves, do some kind of sensor doohickey and just fire the beam where it needs to go.

Well if you look at most pictures of phasers firing, the beam is seldom inline with the nozzle, so obviously there's some kind of autoaim finding the target regardless of what the user is pointing at.

In reality it is the fact that as a post effect drawn on just a few frames that the effect artist doesn't really care about maintaining perfect perspective. It's a similar deal to the zat guns in Stargate that the artists sometimes forget to draw in the effect when the actors are miming out the shots in a big battle scene.

The phaser rifle in DS9 had better ergonomics but actually worse performance because fight scenes with phaser rifles tended to last forever. Also Borgs can just become immune to phasers for no real reason, just because they have even more impossible technology than Starfleet. It still hurts them if you jiggle the handle and arbitrarily mess with the settings when shooting though.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

worf trained for hours, everyday, at the highest difficulty setting... with a gun that aims itself.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

upgunned shitpost posted:

worf trained for hours, everyday, at the highest difficulty setting... with a gun that aims itself.

Legendary is still hard even with controller auto-aim :colbert:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well if you look at most pictures of phasers firing, the beam is seldom inline with the nozzle, so obviously there's some kind of autoaim finding the target regardless of what the user is pointing at.

In reality it is the fact that as a post effect drawn on just a few frames that the effect artist doesn't really care about maintaining perfect perspective. It's a similar deal to the zat guns in Stargate that the artists sometimes forget to draw in the effect when the actors are miming out the shots in a big battle scene.

The phaser rifle in DS9 had better ergonomics but actually worse performance because fight scenes with phaser rifles tended to last forever. Also Borgs can just become immune to phasers for no real reason, just because they have even more impossible technology than Starfleet. It still hurts them if you jiggle the handle and arbitrarily mess with the settings when shooting though.

maybe the borgs are technological absorbing literalists or something and can only use their insight into stolen federation tech to protect themselves from a single damage setting from starfleet phasers and when the shot fails its because they got lucky

Nov 6, 2002

The Borg have personal shields that they can adjust to be on the same frequency as the phaser, which prevents it from damaging them. Apparently changing frequencies on a phaser is some kind of hard coded poo poo that requires taking off the cover and adjusting jumper pins or Star Fleet engineers are too stupid to have them randomly change each shots because they only work for a few kills before the Borg adapt.

Auto aim:

The phaser is so lovely and slow even a middle aged man can easily jump out of the way.

If someone replicated a couple of M16's they could probably take over an entire starship.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Star Trek FPS, Elite Force, they fairly quickly give you the "I-Mod" phaser which somehow infinitely modulates the frequency so the Borg can't adapt to it. A stupid solution for a stupid problem.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If someone replicated a couple of M16's they could probably take over an entire starship.

Joke's on you, an M16 can only hit you if you're already wearing squibs under your clothes.

Also the angles those phasers hit clearly don't match the angle that Picard and Ryker are firing. The lasers must have taken some kind of roundabout path to catch the other old man in a pincer maneuver.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC this was actually a problem around DS9 or so when they started putting laser pointers in the props to help with sfx and realised no one could aim for poo poo, and they redesigned the props to have actual sights

Tulip posted:

This reminds me of O'Brien aggressively mocking the Cardassians for their redundant systems.

IIRC it went the othern way around, with that ep where the Cardassian engineer lady who got horny for O'Brien is surprised that he's installed a backup for the backup

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GD_American posted:

Ahhh, LAMs (Land-Air Mechs). The 69 of giant robots, doing two things crappily instead of one thing well.

I always figured their in-universe crappiness was essentially a gently caress You to Harmony Gold for all the copyright grief that FASA got.

Also, the heart and soul of this thread is this short story by Arthur C. Clarke which should be mandatory reading for every single engineer going through school anywhere, proving that newer and more complex and more capable does not equal better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_(short_story)

I've been looking for the name of this story after half remembering it from when I read it in high school a quarter of a loving century ago, thank you so much!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Johnny Mnemonic fries his brain and deletes grams from memory so he can carry 320 gb of data.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The reason for the terrible ergonomics of phasers come TNG is part of the enlightened utopia theme where Starfleet/The Federation doesn't make weapons of war anymore. Roddenberry wanted phasers to not have any visual similarities to weapons, especially guns. The idea was that in the enlightened future Starfleet personnel would not carry around something with no purpose other than committing violence, and instead a multi-purpose tool. Think all the times they use it to heat rocks or weld something shut or as a cutting tool. It's the same philosophy behind the new Enterprise. Sure the Enterprise-D can function as a badass space battleship, but it's also a state of the art scientific research station, and a convention center, and a diplomatic embassy, and a frontier exploration vessel.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It still annoys me to no end, that the Entreprise-D doesn't have a science officer. Anything vaguely sciency is either handled by Geordi in Engineering or Crusher in Medical.

It just seems like an odd omission for an ostensible exploration vessel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought Data was the science officer. Especially qualified being a superintelligent sentient computer.

Nov 6, 2002

galagazombie posted:

The reason for the terrible ergonomics of phasers come TNG is part of the enlightened utopia theme where Starfleet/The Federation doesn't make weapons of war anymore. Roddenberry wanted phasers to not have any visual similarities to weapons, especially guns. The idea was that in the enlightened future Starfleet personnel would not carry around something with no purpose other than committing violence, and instead a multi-purpose tool. Think all the times they use it to heat rocks or weld something shut or as a cutting tool. It's the same philosophy behind the new Enterprise. Sure the Enterprise-D can function as a badass space battleship, but it's also a state of the art scientific research station, and a convention center, and a diplomatic embassy, and a frontier exploration vessel.

It's all doublespeak. Star Fleet claims to not be a military organization but it 1000% is. Not only that, but this (totally not a military!) organization is apparently in charge of all politics for the planet. Where is the civilian oversight?!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Data was the science officer. Especially qualified being a superintelligent sentient computer.

:same:?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mentioning Data is cheating, he could do any job on the ship.

But no, he's an operations officer that gets to fill in any spot where he's needed, cause he can literally do anything, better. They would be so screwed without him and Geordi; they're the ones keeping everyone alive.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Turns out Gene Roddenberrrry was a dumb man and the reason 10 of the 14 pages of this thread is entirely about him and his dumb poo poo.

Quoting myself from page 5,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because star trek is in itself a dumb idea. Don't talk about star trek because it's all just so absolutely dumb.

Star Trek makes me sad and all of you should feel bad

E. I am literally complaining about what this thread is literally about! :argh:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 5, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

It's all doublespeak. Star Fleet claims to not be a military organization but it 1000% is. Not only that, but this (totally not a military!) organization is apparently in charge of all politics for the planet. Where is the civilian oversight?!

the federation president is explicitly a non-starfleet role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Cerv posted:

the federation president is explicitly a non-starfleet role

The Federation President is elected by a council made up of representatives from each member planet. He's like the head of the UN.

But who is actually in charge of Earth? The POTUS - despite what he may think - is not in charge of each state in the United States.