Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

anilEhilated posted:

On the other hand, it really helps to have access to medicine components; healing people is basically the only non-violent way to get experience and being stocked on cures is a pretty good idea. You'll get a feel for the balance eventually, it's nothing to be stressed over early on.

Adding onto this, a large number (perhaps the majority) of people you can cure just have "fatigue", so if you carry around a stock of fatigue meds you can save some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

November 2019.
I played more recently than that, but reading up on it it sounds like it sometimes still bugs out and doesn't count.

I assumed that was intended since it's an in combat drain as opposed to a cutscene drain, but at the same time it's presented as a moral dilemma. Buggy (but fun) game!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A Vampire posted:

You look tired, here, have some meth.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Doctors prescribing meth to very tired people", 1800s vampire game or modern ADHD diagnosis

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

"Doctors prescribing meth to very tired people", 1800s vampire game or modern ADHD diagnosis
Don't diss the Ritalin, man, I wouldn't be able to make it through college without it. ADHD can be a real handicap when long hours of concentrated thinking and studying are a central part of your workdays.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't diss the Ritalin, man, I wouldn't be able to make it through college without it. ADHD can be a real handicap when long hours of concentrated thinking and studying are a central part of your workdays.
hey no argument here, it probably saved my life - I only got diagnosed at like 26 after somehow struggling through law school and being fired from three legal jobs in a row. Turns out it's quite the detriment in said profession.

At the same time it's never going to stop being funny to me that the diagnoses is just the doctor shrugging and going "looks like you have diet autism, microdose meth until you can function lmao", and they're right, it owns

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

At the same time it's never going to stop being funny to me that the diagnoses is just the doctor shrugging and going "looks like you have diet autism, microdose meth until you can function lmao", and they're right, it owns
Well, there's a reason they say that it's the dosage which makes the poison, I guess. If you think that kind of thing is funny, though, then I bet you'll also enjoy the fact that they also give nitroglycerine to people with heart conditions. "Yeah, turns out your heart just needs to be blown up a tiny little bit, so buy these medical explosion pills and take one twice daily."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, there's a reason they say that it's the dosage which makes the poison, I guess. If you think that kind of thing is funny, though, then I bet you'll also enjoy the fact that they also give nitroglycerine to people with heart conditions. "Yeah, turns out your heart just needs to be blown up a tiny little bit, so buy these medical explosion pills and take one twice daily."

Nitro pills are actually diluted to the point of being inert :eng101: so less the dosage and more the formulation.

also, username/post combo? :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HiroProtagonist posted:

Nitro pills are actually diluted to the point of being inert :eng101: so less the dosage and more the formulation.

Oh that's no fun; "Take these pills and don't do any strenuous exercise for a few hours. Or jump up and down. You'll have... different heart issues to the ones you already have..."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HiroProtagonist posted:

Well, it also has a maximum recommended dosage because in higher amounts it actually is poisonous and causes serious issues with your blood pressure, but, you know, less funny.

Also, hey, good catch. It think you're the first person to ever tell me that they noticed what that's supposed to mean.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My mother manipulated various Healthcare professionals to get me prescribed Ritalin and Prozac at age 8. I tend to be a little wary of psychoactive medicine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zushio posted:

My mother manipulated various Healthcare professionals to get me prescribed Ritalin and Prozac at age 8. I tend to be a little wary of psychoactive medicine.

I'd be more wary of your mother, holy poo poo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Understandable, you just shouldn't generalize from it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'd be more wary of your mother, holy poo poo

Oh I am, don't worry about that.

Cardiovorax posted:

Understandable, you just shouldn't generalize from it.

I also understand that and have had treatment from my own doctors with success. Mostly just made me likely to do a huge bunch of research before taking anything. Doesn't help that most mental health professionals in my area are pill pushers of the highest order. One that I quickly had to abandon took all of 10 minutes to attempt to prescribe extremely powerful anti-psychotics. For the mild anxiety I'd been feeling as a result of some issues in my personal life.

I told her she was a corporate shill and left.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 5, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zushio posted:

I also understand that and have had treatment from my own doctors with success. Mostly just made me likely to do a huge bunch of research before taking anything. Doesn't help that most mental health professionals in my area are pill pushers of the highest order. One that I quickly had to abandon took all of 10 minutes to attempt to prescribe extremely powerful anti-psychotics. For the mild anxiety I'd been feeling as a result of some issues in my personal life.

I told her she was a corporate shill and left.
I don't say this to blame you or anything, but I think you might actually have jumped the gun there a little. Anti-psychotics as a class of medication have this strange quirk where they often do basically nothing to (or have only very strongly reduced effect on) people who aren't suffering from psychosis, although it depends a bit on the specific substance. I was prescribed an anti-psychotic for mild issues with falling asleep once, and it's actually something you can use them for without any issues. All they do to healthy people is a slightly calming effect.

VVV Yeah, I get where you're coming from, then.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 5, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh, I absolutely agree.

And might have even given her the benefit of the doubt if it hadn't literally been our first meeting and the only information I gave was "I've been feeling a little anxious lately because...". She cut me off at because, told me she wasn't there to actually listen or hear about anything other than strict medical interactions and handed me the script. Which I did not see her write and she seemed to have ready to go. Plus, I had been on the same one 5 or 6 years prior for a time and it had caused me massive issues. Which I tried to tell her but was cut off again and told once more she was not there to hear about personal problems, just medicine. That's when I left.

This was several years ago, I've found much better help since and have been mentally healthy (for the most part). And the anxiety cleared about 2 months later thanks to another shift in my personal life. It turns out that particular doctor already had a reputation in the area, and was not well regarded by her peers. I only ended up with her due to wait list nonsense.

Edit: Sorry for deraiI.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I don't want to discourage you from seeking help/posting about this, but this thread is not really the best place for it - my advice would be to try E/N or one of the doctor threads?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Any tips on Horrible Mom who got me hooked on prescription drugs at an early age? I'm having issues with the early parts of the game.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kuros posted:

Any tips on Horrible Mom who got me hooked on prescription drugs at an early age? I'm having issues with the early parts of the game.

Do meth about it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's a scripted economic crash in late '08, try to plan around that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for uhh, i dunno, Fire Emblem Warriors? I started playing it this week and it seems straightforward but anything to change the subject

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've got a contribution for Batman: Arkham Knight:
-As you approach the final mission, several characters will tell you you're about to hit the point of no return. This is not actually true; you can still free-roam and do side-missions in the post-game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Vambrace: Cold Soul?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Two more for My Time at Portia:

-There's no need to spend time looking for missing relic pieces until you've upgraded your scanner twice.
-After some time a guy called Mint arrives to Portia. Getting two relationship points with him gives you a mini-drill which is a really good mining tool.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Paper Mario: Origami King
  • You can undo multiple moves during the pre-fight puzzle phase as long as you don't confirm the final move. Usually the more elaborate 3 move puzzles make more sense if you take a few experimental moves then reset back to the starting position after.
  • You can get the healing or hint bonuses from the toad cheers with only around 200 coins most of the time, only cap it out to 999 if you really need it or can afford to splurge.
  • Some of the toads you rescue out in the world require backtracking from later areas, so don't get gung-ho on trying to 100% them on the first pass. There's at least 1 that won't show on the toad detectors at all and requires a missable optional item from a later area to show up.
  • There's an audio cue when the pre-fight puzzle timer runs low and you can refill it as many times as you want, so don't sweat checking it while figuring out the slide puzzle. It may even be a good idea to screen shot the controls during the phase to check them since it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize clicking the R stick puts the view vertically.
  • The game's not Thousand Year Door and very much isn't trying to be. The world exploration and puzzle-based battling isn't for everyone, but the design does make an internal sense, so try to take it at face value. I see a lot of TTYD comparisons online and they seem to drag down enjoying the game for not following conventions that don't match the type of game this actually is.

yook fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 8, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Krazyface posted:

There's a scripted economic crash in late '08, try to plan around that

I think you’re supposed to spend all your money on apples and alphabets or something

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, hey, good catch. It think you're the first person to ever tell me that they noticed what that's supposed to mean.
I actually just Googled your name last month because I saw a name somewhere (Pillars of Eternity 2 maybe?) that instantly reminded me of it and I wondered if you had gotten it from there. Except once I realized what yours was I knew it was definitely original and intentional, not to mention I remembered you posting before that game even existed. The End

Oh hey, though I see in the credits that SOMETHING AWFUL GOONS were Gold Tier Backers collectively

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

There was some discussion a while back about Vampyr - whether or not sucking the vicar's blood during the boss fight with Mary ruins a "Not even once" run. I can say that you can do what I spoiled and still get the trophy/achievement provided you don't embrace anyone else. The twelfth and thirteenth bullet on the wiki page should be changed IMO.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Weird. Did it change your eye color?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I actually just Googled your name last month because I saw a name somewhere (Pillars of Eternity 2 maybe?) that instantly reminded me of it and I wondered if you had gotten it from there. Except once I realized what yours was I knew it was definitely original and intentional, not to mention I remembered you posting before that game even existed. The End

Oh hey, though I see in the credits that SOMETHING AWFUL GOONS were Gold Tier Backers collectively
Kind of funny to remember that it's basically just something I lifted from a then-running game of Dominions I was playing back when I registered. I really just wanted archive access at the time and couldn't think of anything else, so I just took what I had called my current Mictlan pretender - a nation which, as you may or may not know, has the special mechanic of requiring the sacrifice of human hearts to spread their influence, Aztec style. "Well, I guess they eat them or something" felt like kind of a natural conclusion at that point.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

anilEhilated posted:

Weird. Did it change your eye color?

No. That's one of the things that tipped me off that I may have been ok.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

I had the exact same experience and that was how I tested it as well, I hadn't munched anyone before that so I was still "normal" looking, it seems inconsistent

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Anything for the Escapists 2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've only played it for an hour or two so far, but I think the tutorial does a good job of explaining the basics of what the game is about. The entire thing is very open-ended and sandboxish. You can't do anything wrong that costs you anything other than maybe your current run, but messing around and finding new solutions is pretty much the point as much as anything. I would just dive in and see what happens. You'll probably have more fun that way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Anything for the Escapists 2?

It's a good idea to level up your stats before you do anything, by exercising and reading.

You can usually dash back to your cell and grab your illegal materials before it is searched once it is announced at roll call.

The game is really made to be played co-op so dont be surprised if the game just turns up its nose at you for playing solo, if you do so. Some of the more interesting escapes are impossible without a second person

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 11, 2020

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
There's nothing on the wiki for Quantum Break

Any tips for someone going in blind?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UltraShame posted:

There's nothing on the wiki for Quantum Break

Any tips for someone going in blind?

It's pretty straightforward, only thing I can think of is to be prepared for full on TV show episodes between gameplay sections that fill in major plot points. Unlike previous Remedy games the live action videos aren't optional if you want to have any idea what is going on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's pretty straightforward, only thing I can think of is to be prepared for full on TV show episodes between gameplay sections that fill in major plot points. Unlike previous Remedy games the live action videos aren't optional if you want to have any idea what is going on.

They are at least well-made and quite watchable, so it's not like you're being subjected to The Quiet Man-tier FMV.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

owl_pellet posted:

That's really weird, in my playthrough the eyes changed in the cutscene immediately after the fight. Guess the wiki's gotta be updated then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
What advice would you give somebody who played Total War games before (long before, Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War) but is now a first time player for Total War: Warhammer II?

What campaign should I start, which faction, first moves, ... any and all advice welcome for a beginner with only a little bit of experience. DLC included (was gifted)

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 13, 2020