Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Today's page is extraordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Today's page is extraordinary.

He made children!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ash posted:

Any, ANY chance of getting more Claggart when we reach Alderode? I have an enormous heterosexual hardon for this character. The mixture of being overweight, scruffy, generally unattractive yet highly confident and outspoken really makes me admire him. He's what I wish I was (alas I am only unattractive and scruffy)

The best I could do was that second helping in Duane’s ice skating memory :) Claggart was fun, but the danger in reusing too many characters is your world starts to seem terribly small. We should let Claggart go live his life, and I will endeavour to design more unconventionally attractive characters with double chins and receding hairlines.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah you should be a sober ascetic monk and never gently caress or do rock and rolls and die with a dry, flacid penis. Its the only way to impress this cool guy on the internet.

You completely misread my intent.

Let me put it another way: We are all going to die, sooner rather than later. Let's get shitfaced.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Can i hold your butt?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm starting to think maybe this twin sacrifice thing isn't great.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm starting to think maybe this twin sacrifice thing isn't great.

Working real hard to make the side with misogyny and child soldiers look like the good guys.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Siya is the "not normal girl" because she knows she's destined to be sacrificed so she wants to make something that will live for her. Sara can be the normal girl because she doesn't have to live with the specter of death and can enjoy her childhood.

Anyways there's a way out: destroy the shrine and create such a mess that no one will be able to tell Siya ran away.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm gonna be honest Dwayne is lookin' righter every minute.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Working real hard to make the side with misogyny and child soldiers look like the good guys.

Ain't no sides.

'sides shartenshae, amirite BOIIIIZZZ

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyways there's a way out: destroy the shrine and create such a mess that no one will be able to tell Siya ran away.

Attack and Dethrone (the) God(s).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the kept-twin thing is practiced by Gefendur of all nationalities I’m pretty sure, Cresce is just the most notable

on the other hand, cheery stuff like the Etalarche curse could have only been cooked up in Alderode. I’m still giving them the edge on horrible places to be

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

One of the most worrisome things is that this is supposed to be the "kids having fun" chapter before getting back to bigger problems and issues as was stated by the author.

I guess we are queued up for something darker then "kids dealing with being destined for execution and also some zombie attacks among other things". :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ash posted:

Does anyone in Kasslyne have barbecue? I wonder what turtle bacon brisket tastes like.

oh oh oh I thought of a joke

What’s their speciality dish in Ethelmik?
Burnt ends.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Queen Sonorie's agents stand here awaiting, eyes brimming with hope and hearts tired of hating!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cat Mattress posted:

Siya is the "not normal girl" because she knows she's destined to be sacrificed so she wants to make something that will live for her. Sara can be the normal girl because she doesn't have to live with the specter of death and can enjoy her childhood.

To be fair, I'd argue Sara has a very different specter of death hanging over her. It's different from knowing you're going to be the one to die, but I'd be shocked if it didn't affect the twins that are going to live, too. I mean, your twin who you love is going to be killed and eaten, and it's only not you because of what order you were born in. I feel like Sara is partially trying to enjoy herself now because she knows she'll be grieving later. Meanwhile, the whole thing really sows the seeds of resentment in their relationship, because as much as Siya loves Sara she can't help wishing that Sara would die instead, and she knows that's a hosed up thought. But she feels trapped because she's been told over and over that if she leaves, people will die in disasters because the Gods will be angry.

So yeah, it's poo poo from multiple angles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Some interesting and unpleasant stuff about Bastion's offsetting, torc, et al on the tumblr. Turns out being the Lady's favored tool son has complications?

quote:

Wait, regardless of whether he knows about it or not, how is bastion not just dying of horrible gut problems without his flora? Also would it be possible for an Inak to assassinate Beadman, take his place, and secretly rule his corporate barony?

Without going too much into detail, most of Bastion’s bits were accounted for when his offsetting was designed and installed into his torc

and lots of other stuff, including the things i cut out of that post

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Everyone is fond of owls.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Litraya Shrine is Unsounded's Namek. We're going to be here for-loving-ever aren't we?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Litraya Shrine is Unsounded's Namek. We're going to be here for-loving-ever aren't we?

game of thrones syndrome. The A-plot needs to idle for a while so the c-listers can find their way into position for an important moment... problem is people get bored watching c-listers do c-list poo poo so we have to flesh out the boring poo poo the a-team is doing while they're doing nothing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Don't leave without me while I'm sleeping."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

Don’t get antsy; we’re not going into a lengthy flashback. There’s just something you need to see.

Exactly the first worry to pop into my mind when I saw that page

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Uaid not at all impressed by this fuckboy flashback.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

We do not need a hostage. Kill him now.

quote:

Where does Keon rank relative to Hetr? Is he similar to a major or a colonel relative to Hetr's captain? Is Aseptick a "rank" of wright that can be part of other military organizations, or are they an entirely separate order that does their own thing?

The Asepticks are a separate organisation. Technically they have complete carte blanche in all situations with a large pymary component, but our friends here are literally operating outside the law already, so rank doesn’t matter. The biggest and loudest dog is going to trot away with the lead. Keon is taking over because Keon says he’s taking over, and if Hetr wants to contest that he can pull out his little sword and the two of them can come to blows. But it won’t end well for Hetr.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

who the gently caress are these people?!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

who the gently caress are these people?!

The burned dude (Hetr) is the crooked police chief of Ethelmik who was in cahoots with the Cresce coup faction that arranged to have Ethelmik devastated by the first silver weapon. Elka and Toma were working with him until he revealed his true colors, then they tried to escape but he eventually captured them.

The guy in pale clothes with the weird face is new, he just showed up and started bossing Hetr around.

I think everyone else is just generic Cresce lackeys on the conspirator side.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

The burned dude (Hetr) is the crooked police chief of Ethelmik who was in cahoots with the Cresce coup faction that arranged to have Ethelmik devastated by the first silver weapon. Elka and Toma were working with him until he revealed his true colors, then they tried to escape but he eventually captured them.

The guy in pale clothes with the weird face is new, he just showed up and started bossing Hetr around.

I think everyone else is just generic Cresce lackeys on the conspirator side.

"on it" lady is Hetr's extremely murder-positive second in command, she probably killed the baby watchman who originally helped capture Toma for Hetr

The guy in pale clothes was unnamed in his first appearance, where he was the wright tapping the falls to blow up Ethelmik when Toma and Elka made their escape, which is why he bears scars from almost-exploding himself from Sheer Power - he was channeling rather more than 100% of recommended amount of Pressure Aspect. He was briefly named as Aseptick Keon (and I believe we have in-story evidence of what the Asepticks are, they're basically Wright Police who police wrights) when he's attached to Bell in the Crescian capital scenes and was sent over here to [do things]. Keon also killed a waterwoman and captured her core in his Litriya debut/arrival. He's a big scary wright and one of Bell's very top henchmen.

specifically if you happen to recall the Cresce scene where he was able to do an Extreme Vulcan Salute while his hands were healing, that's the guy

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 25, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

it was all rhetorical, these extras need to stop. Eat your current characters before making up new ones auuuugh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

it was all rhetorical, these extras need to stop. Eat your current characters before making up new ones auuuugh

may i offer you a murkoph in these trying times

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I actually love the excessively complicated political intrigue and the way too many moving parts, it's a big portion of why this is one of my top two webcomics ever and a strong contender for not-web.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
All the Red Berry Boys are dead, so we had some open slots.

I figure we're going to get more cleanup as we get to the end of the book, though, one way or another.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keon is also the guy who killed Elan Aled, the man with the bad heart back in Ethelmik. Core leeched him, which was apparently an unnecessarily brutal and painful way of killing him (and is why there was no body left when people found his clothes and armor later).

He's bad news, is the point. As him tearing apart a water woman and just ripping that clipboard in half on this page might help emphasize, even if you don't remember him personally nuking a city.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This is definitely exacerbated by the webcomic curse of stretching out a chapter across months, making it far easier to forgot minor characters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Wanna hear something kooky? I realised while starting to draw a new scene today that this would be the last day of the book. The remainder of this chapter and the two chapter finale after it all take place on this one day - the first day of Tirna’s Feast, or Treenahinn.

So sleep tight, Sette, you got a big day ahead of you!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The more you talk about Keon, the more interesting I find him. Is there anything else about him that you could tell us that isn't too spoiler-y and that won't necessarily come up in the comic?

quote:

Hard to say. This scene made me really like him as a character and start imagining ways to use him more in the future, so we’ll be seeing him for a while.

I can tell you he’s married to another Aseptick named Irma, they have no kids, and they spend long stretches of time apart because they grow tired of each other easily. They met in the service and bonded over hating the hell out of Alds. Keon finds the bones of pymary tedious, and feels Cresce could forge its own path forward with pymary - escaping the ghosts of Tain - if the country’s wrights were allowed more experimentation and the risks inherent in that. The Tainish language is only the language of pymary because wrights have allowed it to be; why isn’t anyone trying to change that.

He’s fascinated by the Silver, appreciates the Black Tongues (even if they are a weirdass cult of nutless wonders), thinks Monarchy is a stupid idea that’s probably holding the country back, has nothing but contempt for weakness, is amenable to eugenics, and hails from a family of gardeners that has won awards for breeding rare and difficult varieties of flowers.

quote:

Can I just say I love Bald!Hench's attitude? Jumps to be proactive at an opportunity for murder, floating her weird torture ideas past the mooks. Girl knows what she likes and is always read to get it.

quote:

Yep, Abby’s pretty devious. She’s one of those women who will run with sexist macho bros because she figures it’ll present opportunities where A) She can get back at people she hates, score a sense of control, and indulge her sadism and B) secure herself power and esteem as a token within the movement. She’s like Kellyanne Conway with magic powers and a license to kill.

Also, on the previous page, that looks a lot like Duane carrying someone out of the shrine, though I suppose it could be another mysterious hooded figure. We'll probably see soon enough. Edit again: Or, the clothes seem somewhat different, so maybe it is someone else after all. Would have to look back through previous pages to compare and see if it's someone familiar or not.

Edit: Oh, this interested me quite a bit. (All the quotes are Tumblr questions, of course.)

quote:

Is crappier mass-produced stuff often trickier to cast on because it's harder to tell what materials are mixed with it?

quote:

This is a recent problem, yes. As industrialization has kicked off on a larger scale, wrights are finding the simplest of objects can frustrate them. Pollution is a problem in certain places too. There are some ditches and ponds in Sharteshane that you just don’t want to try referring to as “Water.” Some organisations and governments counter this by requiring every manufacturer provide a Materials list for everything they make - Rector Duane Adelier had an assistant in charge of organising a small library of such paperwork - but Sharteshane’s been slow to enact such a law, and contamination is always a potential issue. Even parts of Alderode are intentionally poisoned by nefarious types to try and fend off wrights while Cresce encourages public health and cleanliness campaigns to keep its people and neighbourhoods tidy so pymary functions more reliably.

Another tool are national spellburns. Sometimes shorthand for common mixed material objects are added into the network so wrights can refer to them by name. This is usually reserved for the military to help with targeting new enemy arms, armour, and constructs.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 28, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bah, I'm Knock-Me-Down, not Push-Me-Over! Break it next time, pansy arse!

b e a n e d

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Boot to the head on page 93
Butt to the head on page 94

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah getting hit in the head with a literal can of beans like a "bean ball" in baseball, and having the sound effect be "BEANED" is pretty dang funny!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Don't hurt minnow :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Waterfall explodey guy!

quote:

"I know Hetr is a Bad Dude, but the unreal amount of theatricality and melodrama pouring out of the man is incredible. Truly, his very heart and soul are poetry. I feel like Cresce made a mistake assigning him as a peaceguard, and not as an orator or something."

"He’s a bit corny and melodramatic for current Crescian popular trends. Elka called him Aldish earlier, which was quite the insult. It’s fun to think that maybe his first ambition was in fact the theatre, but he was so hammy that he flunked out of the drama club at school (impressive, since it wouldn’t have been graded) and then discovered that the military gave him ample opportunities to soliloquize at a captive audience that couldn’t walk out of a playhouse or lob eggs. I think he’s ultimately satisfied with his career choice."

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2020