Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
C'mon, Bolt is dull. The hamster is the same hamster that was in frozen, olaf. Chicken Little at least has some aliens and is based in some mythic "fairy tale" archetypal tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chicken little is both mean-spirited AND ugly, making it strictly worse than [checks list of every animated film of all time in order of quality] the spongebob squarepants movie

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Chicken Little is so good you can summon him in one of the Kingdom Hearts games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

That's actually what the renaissance should be called. The actual renaissance was from roughly the thirties to the forties.

That seems way too early, especially given it's generally considered to be finally catching up after the dark age of animation in the 50s to the 70s.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
the be-

the beetle ball

:stonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Why do you all have Avatar avs now?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Posted in some weird avatar thread in the sci fi WiFi now I got the disease that turns my eyes into jujubes

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

The_Doctor posted:

Why do you all have Avatar avs now?
we are on a magical journey

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
of course, there is only one true avatar of my heart

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’ve lost my lion and am sad 😿

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I mean, at least you still have a cat...kind of....

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

They have official names, the movies from Bolt onwards are the Revival era
Yeah I know I just like my name better.

I also feel like it's BS that Bolt counts. Like I enjoy it well enough, but it's honestly feels so similar to The Great Mouse Detective or Oliver and Company.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems way too early, especially given it's generally considered to be finally catching up after the dark age of animation in the 50s to the 70s.

You have to consider though, animation had been around since the 1910s and was founded on a lot of precinematic forms (zoetropes, projecting ghosts in churches, painting etc) and that the synthesis of all these existing elements is a true rebirth of them, culturally, formally, artistically, whatever adjective, into an all new form. And the 30s and 40s are where the form starts to refine itself and people are toying with how all of these work best. Sound was HUGE for animation in terms of understanding timing and breaking things down into "beats." The concept of a keyframe is based in sheet music. And so specifically with regard to disney, their first features and technically experimental shorts around them represent both more interesting subject matter and more of a genuine renaissance than the 90's revivals. And it's shared with more than just the company, as all the people making them were all over the place, half of Dumbo is Betty Boop Guys. The 90's is a new wave to be sure, it could be called an enlightenment, but a lot of it resembles rococo.

Hedrigall posted:

I saved all the old avatars for after the joke has run its course

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/mulan-to-stream-on-disney-plus/

The CEO says they will still release in theaters but who knows when and if that will happen. Apparently only Japan has theaters open right now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/mulan-to-stream-on-disney-plus/

The CEO says they will still release in theaters but who knows when and if that will happen. Apparently only Japan has theaters open right now?

So, everyone with a clue about :filez: will be able to watch it September 5th.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th

hell yeah

ThermoPhysical posted:

but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

oh wack

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I can get trying to recoup their losses as from all reports it was a very expensive film to make, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah no one's happy about this.

But they'll probably put Black Widow on this "premium" thing too.

So not only do you have to pay $7/mo for the service, you have to pay $30 to watch the movie. Only Disney.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that's a really bad look even though I get where the pricing is coming from. More expensive than other VOD releases and only on a subscription service? It seems to me like it would be more appealing to offer it both as a stand-alone and then "discounted" on Disney+.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they're high on the fact that trolls world tour made it work for $20. But to me that really is a pretty big difference between $30 and $20, especially because with trolls you didn't have to be paying for any other poo poo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I think they're high on the fact that trolls world tour made it work for $20. But to me that really is a pretty big difference between $30 and $20, especially because with trolls you didn't have to be paying for any other poo poo

I agree, I saw that 30 dollar price tag and my first thought was "gently caress off"

The 20 dollar price tag for trolls seemed reasonable enough, but 30 dollars on top of a streaming subscription? Nooope

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And I'm sure they'll make it so you can't just use the free trial period and only pay $30 for the movie, you have to be properly subscribed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

$30 USD is insane for a rental, that's like 40-45 CAD and that's on top of a subscription. The only way those economics work is if you invite a bunch of people to split it, but you literally can't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yall jesting but my Chinese-rear end family is paying the 30

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I paid $20 to watch Trolls World Tour alone in my underwear, and was completely satisfied with that.

The only movie I'm really eager to see that was due out this year was The Green Knight and I'd be loving steamed to pay $30 for it. Probably wouldn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I paid $20 to watch Trolls World Tour alone in my underwear, and was completely satisfied with that.

The only movie I'm really eager to see that was due out this year was The Green Knight and I'd be loving steamed to pay $30 for it. Probably wouldn't.

I would pay 15 dollars for Antlers, 20 dollars for the new Candyman or the Green knight, and 22 for Wonder Woman 1984, but there's nothing I'm willing to pay 30 dollars for.

You gotta draw the line somewhere, and my line is (apparently) 30 dollars.

Barudak posted:

Yall jesting but my Chinese-rear end family is paying the 30

I'd pay 20 for Mulan, or maybe chip in a five with a group of six other people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sure Disney is basically using the same argument a lot of people make:

"I was going to see this in theater with my kids/partner/friends and the cost of seeing it in a theater is more than the cost of just watching it together."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I would pay 15 dollars for Antlers, 20 dollars for the new Candyman or the Green knight, and 22 for Wonder Woman 1984, but there's nothing I'm willing to pay 30 dollars for.

Oh sweet, another wendigo movie! It'll never top Ravenous but I'm there for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*clasps fist* it's about the inherent despair of knowing a monster was once a person

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ImpAtom posted:

I am sure Disney is basically using the same argument a lot of people make:

"I was going to see this in theater with my kids/partner/friends and the cost of seeing it in a theater is more than the cost of just watching it together."

This is absolutely the argument and it makes sense, nevertheless $30 still feels like too much. It feels just past the point where it would work out for 2 people, as you can definitely get 2 movie tickets for less than $30 if you look hard enough. And I feel like the biggest demographic for this movie is couples who watched Mulan growing up, who maybe have kids old enough to be interested but maybe not.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If I took my kid to see Mulan, if we both got adult IMAX tickets, it would cost $30 CAD. The only way it'd get to $30 USD is if we bought food.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Mulan isn't the best test balloon for this. Are a significant portion of people hyped about it? Like, $30 hyped?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm betting Mulan was the movie that Disney had the highest hopes for this year. MCU's biggest movies are behind it, and I don't think they were expecting too much from Black Widow. And nobody is gonna pay money for New Mutants.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The fact I've seen Disney+ ads for all their shows, including the flood of Hamilton but not a peep about Mulan on TV "Disney's Mulan now on Disney+!" would be a loving no-brainer does not really bode well.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oof, sounds like they’re fully bracing for it to be a bomb in the box office, then.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That or the Marketing team being stupid again.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I suppose it would be too much to hope that this thing bombs hard enough to teach Disney to stop with the goshdarned live action remakes already, would it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They should do live-action remakes of their promising failures like The Black Cauldron.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've said it before, but Mulan being the casualty here is sad because I think the movie has potential. It's not a wuxia not-musical without a smooth talkin' dragon; less an adaptation of the animated movie and more a new telling of a Chinese legend. Certainly it has more of a reason to exist than, say, Beauty and the Beast.

Phylodox posted:

They should do live-action remakes of their promising failures like The Black Cauldron.

I wouldn't call it a failure, but I'm still looking forward to a Hunchback remake. There's certainly material that could be cut from the animated film, and there's certainly good material to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hunchback has its own rather obvious issues with live-action.