Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

netbooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

palmtops running windows vista https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYEbv26AFc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I wanted the sony one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i liked the idea of the palm foleo for some reason

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

you know the stereotype of musicians or athletes blowing all their money on absurd bullshit when they get big? like shitloads of original art, exotic animals, etc?

if i ever land a shitload of cash out of the blue i'm spending it all on hosed up tiny computers. get me an original oqo, find a foleo prototype, get whatever that stupid brick of a netbook paul allen was involved with, buy every itty-bitty laptop GPD makes, clear out ebay of every last HP jornada. just me, naked in an empty mansion, surrounded by small bits of e-waste.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

all Scrooge mcduckin into mountains of 3com Audreys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

all Scrooge mcduckin into mountains of 3com Audreys

cant even get out of bed nowadays without cracking an eye opener

(reaches over to nightstand, grabs a soldering iron and an i-Opener)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a Virgin Webplayer that I hacked to run Windows 98, I used it as a media player in my car, since it folded down to such a small size.

when the car would start it would boot up and Winamp would start a playlist and play through a tape adapter. I later upgraded this to a USB FM transmitter that allowed me to just tune my radio to its station. this also worked in about a 500 foot radius around my car, which my friends could tune into if they were driving near me, leading them to coin it radio call sign-style, WVAN, since it was mounted in my 95 ford windstar :rip:

it was the dorkiest thing imaginable, but for the year 2000 or thereabouts, it was also really amazing.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

back in the day i really wanted a sony picturebook. it was like the coolest thing to me at the time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

back in the day i really wanted a sony picturebook. it was like the coolest thing to me at the time

oh hell, i found a couple of those at work a few months ago!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

cant even get out of bed nowadays without cracking an eye opener

(reaches over to nightstand, grabs a soldering iron and an i-Opener)

i couldn't remember what the i-opener was so searching for that led to this excellent wikipedia page which led to this funy tech poo poo i had forgotten, the sony mylo

quote:

My Life Online (mylo) was a device created and marketed by Sony for portable instant messaging and other Internet-based communications, browsing Internet web sites (using the Opera web browser)[1] and playback and sharing of media files. The pocket-sized, tablet-shaped handheld device, which debuted in 2006, had a screen which slid up to reveal a QWERTY keyboard. The brand name 'mylo' stands for My Life Online. Using Wi-Fi instead of cellular networks, the mylo was targeted to the 18–24 age group

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

thing looks like poo poo mlyp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hell yes mylo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tb3RLqY9Xo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
ActiveX WebAssembly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the Audrey

and that whole wave of lovely computers that you could only do email and basic browsing (MAYBE) on

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
that brings back memories. i briefly ran beos on an i-opener and whew, yeah, not a computer you actually want to use

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jonny 290 posted:

the Audrey

and that whole wave of lovely computers that you could only do email and basic browsing (MAYBE) on

chromebooks, but big

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i'm the dedicated copy and paste buttons

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm the "microsoft in exactly 2001" ui theme

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

psiox posted:

that brings back memories. i briefly ran beos on an i-opener and whew, yeah, not a computer you actually want to use

BeOS owned though. in the days of windows 95 and 98 it ran fantastically and multitasked waaaaaay better than anything else. I loved it and used it as my primary OS for a while at college

it’s too bad their ceo got greedy with Steve Jobs. BeOS could have been OS X

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BeOS owned though. in the days of windows 95 and 98 it ran fantastically and multitasked waaaaaay better than anything else. I loved it and used it as my primary OS for a while at college

it’s too bad their ceo got greedy with Steve Jobs. BeOS could have been OS X
apple buying beos means no ceo stebe 2.0 means apple goes out of business in 2001 and decades later nerds still get misty eyed about the beos macs they demoed before shutting down and what might have been

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think they could have made BeOS into something equally good. remember that the early versions of OS X were pretty terrible too and other than some superficial aesthetics aren’t really too similar to modern OS X

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think they could have made BeOS into something equally good. remember that the early versions of OS X were pretty terrible too
they absolutely could have

the issue is that the next acquisition got them not just the next-gen os they wanted, it got them the ceo they desperately needed to stay alive

buying beos gets apple a good os and then a court-appointed liquidator a few years later

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

apple buying beos means no ceo stebe 2.0 means apple goes out of business in 2001 and decades later nerds still get misty eyed about the beos macs they demoed before shutting down and what might have been

lol at unironically trying to scare nerds with the unknowable horror of a world where apple went out of business in 2001.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the unknowable horror of a world where apple went out of business in 2001.

smartphones would be so, SO loving bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

smartphones would be so, SO loving bad

i highly doubt it. might have had a slower start, but all the same people and technology would broadly exist, and things would have come together. quite possibly in a more interesting way without as clearly dominant design being aped.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i highly doubt it. might have had a slower start, but all the same people and technology would broadly exist, and things would have come together. quite possibly in a more interesting way without as clearly dominant design being aped.

reminder that this is what android was shaping up to be in 2006:

then the iphone came out a year later and google had to hastily square-peg round-hole their OS into a touch-oriented device.

you had blackberry and windows mobile for competition, plus palmos on life support with a DNR tag.

i think we would have been lurching through a morass of clunky blackberry-alikes for a very long time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
when blackberry finally got impelled enough to produce an all-touchscreen phone the result was the blackberry storm, a legendary piece of poo poo dsyp

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

reminder that this is what android was shaping up to be in 2006:

then the iphone came out a year later and google had to hastily square-peg round-hole their OS into a touch-oriented device.

otoh this is the lg prada, the first phone with capacitive touch:

not that it was even distantly a good phone, but black-slab-with-capacitive-touch was going to happen either way. tbqh i think mobile safari was the most substantial innovation of the iphone. and while it might have taken a while i am pretty convinced we'd have caught back up well before now without apple.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

the issue is that the next acquisition got them not just the next-gen os they wanted, it got them the ceo they desperately needed to stay alive

and a whole bunch of technical staff and management who played important roles in saving Apple from bankruptcy too

like, the Apple Online Store was done by people from the WebObjects team, they wrote it in a very short amount of time and it was able to do serious revenue very quickly at a point where that was critical to the company’s survival

without SJ there also wouldn’t have been iTunes or the label deals, without the WebObjects team there wouldn’t have been the iTunes Music Store itself

and lots of behind the scenes things like that

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the iPhone ran for years without copy paste as a functionality and users kept saying it didn’t matter that much

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tbqh i think mobile safari was the most substantial innovation of the iphone.

thiiiiiiiis. people forget just how astoundingly bad mobile internet was before the iPhone and safari

that and the iPhone flat out requiring a data plan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember wap, lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

opera mobile proxied traffic and compressed it into tiles that rendered faster

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MononcQc posted:

opera mobile proxied traffic and compressed it into tiles that rendered faster

then brave took that model to adblock the rest of the industry and sell premium ad space in those empty slots lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

then brave took that model to adblock the rest of the industry and sell premium ad space in those empty slots lmao

still pretty gucking wild that that is even a thing. like 'what if adblock sold you to the highest bidder but as a browser' is a hell of a pitch and its working lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
turns out purposely muddying the waters re: online privacy and tracking between the adtech and actual malicious profiling datamining that gets people killed markets helps both sides

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

so if we did end up with weird bkackberry-likes, what are the odds that we’d have user-serviceable battery compartments? I’d consider that an acceptable compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FMguru posted:

they absolutely could have

buying beos gets apple a good os and then a court-appointed liquidator a few years later

Sounds good.