Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

me your dad posted:

I've posted these in other threads but I love my bikes

My mountain bike of 11 years - a Vassago Jabberwocky. I've never had a mountain bike I love as much as this one and it is perfectly suited for my northern Virginia trails. I'm sad that my next bike will be a geared full suspension but I plan to keep the Jabberwocky forever.

one gear :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

:whatup:

If I were to get another single speed, a Chameleon would be in the ranking. Heck, if I wind up with a geared hard tail it still could be considered.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have some bicycles.

My wife's new mountain bike that I'm very envious of:

My mountain bike, which I'll be getting rid of soon. If anyone is itching for a 2015 5010 CC X01 in XL, let me know.

My gravel bike, which I sometimes use as a road bike with a spare set of 700c wheels and 30mm tires, but mostly lives its life like this. Just finally put the third bottle cage on today because most of my rides have no water stops and it's hot and dry here.

My wife's old mountain bike, which should make clear why she has the newer fancier mountain bike now. She's emotionally attached to it so the frame will probably end up on a wall somewhere.

My wife's road/gravel bike. Same deal as mine, usually in gravel mode.

My cyclocross bike which is basically a dick-around-town bike now. I'm emotionally attached to this one and will probably never get ride of it.

My kid hauler:

And finally my wife's bike from college that she's similarly attached to and hasn't ridden in probably 4 or 5 years. I just put air in the tires and realized the freewheel is now freewheeling in both directions which is not what you want in a bicycle

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
that alchemy is v hot

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Thought about stuffing my jersey pockets with veggies but decided against it. Still need fenders and to peel the remnants of the sticker off of the crank arm, but otherwise Rain Bike is coming along. Yes I really I am dorky enough to take a backup headlight on rides that will finish after dark.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

this is a really weird way to spell gummy bears

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

My kid hauler:

How'd you like this? My LBS has been thinking about carrying them.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

How'd you like this? My LBS has been thinking about carrying them.

Great so far. It's definitely on the pricey end of the spectrum but the majority of my current and former co-workers with ecargo bikes have the same one or an earlier model. Like 4 or 5 people, so that was a good enough endorsement for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I thought that yuba was a bunch cheaper :/ We have a Tern GSD that basically does the same thing with 20" wheels for the same money.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh I thought that yuba was a bunch cheaper :/ We have a Tern GSD that basically does the same thing with 20" wheels for the same money.

I looked at Tern but opted for the spicy curry because I don't really have any need for the compact aspect of the GSD, living in pretty wide open space with an enormous garage. So more cargo area it is

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

kimbo305 posted:

Like fashion, you gotta know how/when to break the rules

I love my pakit

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bike Friday gang.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

I looked at Tern but opted for the spicy curry because I don't really have any need for the compact aspect of the GSD, living in pretty wide open space with an enormous garage. So more cargo area it is
Sounds good. I already had a bullitt so we didn't need another giganto machine. Glad you like yours, I've told my LBS the experience seems to be positive.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

dema posted:

New road bicycle in progress.

Can't believe you'd post the finished thing on reddit before this thread

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Exile him! Exxxxxhilllleeeeee

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Put on a new chain, so I'd figured it was due for a picture.

It doesn't look like much but it was it was the trek roubaix team bike back in the day and retailed for about 12k if you wanted to buy one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Withnail posted:

Put on a new chain, so I'd figured it was due for a picture.

It doesn't look like much but it was it was the trek roubaix team bike back in the day and retailed for about 12k if you wanted to buy one.

I think you need to switch to SRAM.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Ha! Sorry. Have some stuff I'm changing. New saddle and crankset coming. Fit isn't quite dialed in yet.

It's a pretty brilliant so far though. Nice and stiff.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ya that's a nice bike right there

I only noticed because it looked rad and recognised the frame from your post before. Then saw the stems were the same and went full :monocle:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I am a bike baby who has only been riding my townie cruiser that I dug out of storage around my neighborhood for the last couple months. I feel like I lucked out in a major way by finding this at the bike shop this morning, the sole hot mayo Midnight Special, and in my size no less. Hot dog. I absolutely love it. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bikes but I'm pretty pumped about it, and already fantasizing about getting a brown leather saddle and brown grip tape to make it all coordinated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

get a helmet with some vents too unless you wanna cook your brain

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Bike looks sweet. Enjoy it.
Get it dirty.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bottom Liner posted:

get a helmet with some vents too unless you wanna cook your brain

Also those commuter/urban style helmets tend to score poorly in the Virginia Tech / IIHS helmet safety tests. While not perfect, those test protocols are all we got.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

redcheval posted:

I am a bike baby who has only been riding my townie cruiser that I dug out of storage around my neighborhood for the last couple months. I feel like I lucked out in a major way by finding this at the bike shop this morning, the sole hot mayo Midnight Special, and in my size no less. Hot dog. I absolutely love it. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bikes but I'm pretty pumped about it, and already fantasizing about getting a brown leather saddle and brown grip tape to make it all coordinated.
Sweet ride, welcome to the bike addiction club

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

It does have vents on the top and back (it’s a Thousand helmet) but this was just what I had kickin around for my cruiser. Bike helmet recommendations are definitely welcome!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

redcheval posted:

:hellyeah: bike buddy

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

redcheval posted:

It does have vents on the top and back (it’s a Thousand helmet) but this was just what I had kickin around for my cruiser. Bike helmet recommendations are definitely welcome!

Helmets are only as safe as how well they fit your head, so there's no definitive recommendation. Best bet is always to try them on, which may be difficult during the pandemic. When trying a helmet on, there should be even pressure all around your head. You should be able to tighten the fit system/dial down and the helmet should grip your skin. If you push the tip of the helmet up, it should move the skin with it rather than slide along it.

MIPS is a safety feature probably worth shopping for. It no longer carries a huge price premium and it has no obvious downsides.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 6, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

redcheval posted:

Literally never heard of that helmet brand until I read this post a little bit ago and now;

loving creepy facebook somehow skimming the text of webpages I load in safari iOS and then serving me ads for it on instagram.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

redcheval posted:

The Thousand isn't as bad as it looks. I don't understand why.
It's still worse than a vented road helmet, but I've never suffered on a summer commute with it on. And the magnet latch is killer.

Go to the $100 tab, find one you like the looks of, and see where you can try some.
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally never heard of that helmet brand until I read this post a little bit ago and now;

loving creepy facebook somehow skimming the text of webpages I load in safari iOS and then serving me ads for it on instagram.

Install Lockdown (iOS), use pihole, block ads in safari, don't use fb products

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've decided to educate myself in the art of bike mechanics. I introduce to you, my new bike and new tool day combo!

Spent 3 hours cleaning it up, and teaching myself how to true the wheels on this 1988 miyata 512 that I got for $100.

This bike is meaningful to me because it's the exact make/model/year that got me into loving bikes in the first place. I sold my original one and always regretted it.

I plan on building this one up and experimenting.

First build :

Converting this to a modern groupset. I might try to retain the downtube shifters or go for bar ends. :3:

I guess it's not awful to convert from 27" to 700c either so that's on the docket too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Converting this to a modern groupset. I might try to retain the downtube shifters or go for bar ends. :3:

I guess it's not awful to convert from 27" to 700c either so that's on the docket too.

Check out the specific extra reach you'll need and buy accordingly. The longest mid-reach (aka not garbage) caliper I could find was the RG957:
https://trpcycling.com/product/rg957/

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

kimbo305 posted:

Check out the specific extra reach you'll need and buy accordingly. The longest mid-reach (aka not garbage) caliper I could find was the RG957:
https://trpcycling.com/product/rg957/

I'll take this to the bike mech thread to avoid cluttering this one up. I'll also check out the link. Right now, I'm reading through the big blue book and learning how to take apart and out together stuff.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rockhopper conversion continues to own bones.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

amenenema posted:

This bike excites me.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

amenenema posted:

:thumbsup:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

amenenema posted:

I love it. Would have killed for that bike, with flat bars, in highschool. Actually, years later, a relative left a Rockhopper like that at my parents house and I swiped it for the summer to use as an around town bike. Eventually had to give it back. Sad.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got a Specialized Power Expert saddle. Need to spend more time on it, but cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i hate spec as a brand and still have their saddles on 2 of my bikes. they’re good.