Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm having the weirdest issue with Google Photos. Most photos are properly synced, but not all of them. I can't figure out why (seems to be completely random) and I can't even upload them manually since the phone thinks everything's fine and every single photo has been uploaded.

I guess I'd need to "reset" the app so it can 1) grab everything back from the cloud and 2) check the phone's storage and upload whatever is missing? Or something else? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I just got a new phone and while setting everything up noticed that GPM is showing local files as well. Unfortunately that means it's showing podcast episodes that have been downloaded in a different app. Anybody know how I can remove them from GPM?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Captain_Person posted:

I just got a new phone and while setting everything up noticed that GPM is showing local files as well. Unfortunately that means it's showing podcast episodes that have been downloaded in a different app. Anybody know how I can remove them from GPM?
I haven't tried it, but apparently the method to exclude folders from Play Music indexing goes like this:

quote:

Exclude a folder from inclusion in the local library:
To exclude a folder from being included in the local library by the Google Play Music app, create an empty file with name .nomedia in this folder.
For example, create the file /sdcard/WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Audio/.nomedia.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was going to suggest that, but it excludes that folder from other programs. Like, if there are images in that folder, they won't show up in Photos.

It may screw with the program that originally created those files. Just something to watch out for.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Skarsnik posted:

You can swipe stuff away

The hell, I could've sworn that didn't work. Maybe I just wasn't doing it hard enough because I was afraid I'd start playing the songs by accident. Thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

(crosspost from Android thread)

Engadget: Google Play Music will start shutting down in September.
https://www.engadget.com/google-play-music-shutdown-end-of-2020-150006046.html

In September (Australia and New Zealand) and October (for everyone else), Google Play Music will stop working and you will no longer be able to stream music (or probably play local music).

Users have until December to port music over to YouTube Music.

After December, all data for GPM will be purged.

Google will also shut down music in the Play Store meaning that they will no longer sell music. You will be able to buy music elsewhere to upload to YTM though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Play Music Timeline:

Late August—Users will no longer be able to upload or download music through Music Manager. Pre-orders and purchases will be shut down.
September—Streaming shuts down for users in New Zealand and South Africa.
October—Global streaming shutdown. The Google Music app and website will cease to be.
December—Music collections get deleted.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/google-music-shutdown-starts-this-month-music-deleted-in-december/

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ThermoPhysical posted:

(crosspost from Android thread)

Engadget: Google Play Music will start shutting down in September.
https://www.engadget.com/google-play-music-shutdown-end-of-2020-150006046.html

In September (Australia and New Zealand) and October (for everyone else), Google Play Music will stop working and you will no longer be able to stream music (or probably play local music).

Users have until December to port music over to YouTube Music.

After December, all data for GPM will be purged.

Google will also shut down music in the Play Store meaning that they will no longer sell music. You will be able to buy music elsewhere to upload to YTM though.

First Dark Sky, now GPM??? I've only ever used YT Music once before, and definitely prefered GPM. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

First Dark Sky, now GPM??? I've only ever used YT Music once before, and definitely prefered GPM. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

I ended up swapping over to Spotify. I accidentally swapped my subscription from GPM to YTM when I was given the option to port over my playlists. I figured since I can't use GPM anymore (seriously, the YTM subscription is one way only and there's no way to re-sub to GPM) I may as well give YTM a solid shot. After about an hour or two, I just gave up. If I search for a specific song, it's it's something more obscure then YTM just pulls up everyone's low quality living room style covers and I just have to search and search to find the correct dang song. I had some issues with the UI too, but the glut of terrible versions of every song was the worst part by far. So I'm getting a YT Red subscription because screw ads, and I ended up getting the Spotify Duo subscription for the music. It's more money, but YTM was just that unappealing to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

I ended up swapping over to Spotify. I accidentally swapped my subscription from GPM to YTM when I was given the option to port over my playlists. I figured since I can't use GPM anymore (seriously, the YTM subscription is one way only and there's no way to re-sub to GPM) I may as well give YTM a solid shot. After about an hour or two, I just gave up. If I search for a specific song, it's it's something more obscure then YTM just pulls up everyone's low quality living room style covers and I just have to search and search to find the correct dang song. I had some issues with the UI too, but the glut of terrible versions of every song was the worst part by far. So I'm getting a YT Red subscription because screw ads, and I ended up getting the Spotify Duo subscription for the music. It's more money, but YTM was just that unappealing to me.

You shouldn't have to re-sub to anything. GPM and YTM are all run by the YouTube part of Google (if you called support, they'd basically tell you the same thing).

As such, you are subscribed to GPM when you subscribe to YTM and can use both. I'm using Music Manager from GPM to download all of the music I bought and got for free from GPM right now and I moved over to YTM last fall.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

You shouldn't have to re-sub to anything. GPM and YTM are all run by the YouTube part of Google (if you called support, they'd basically tell you the same thing).

As such, you are subscribed to GPM when you subscribe to YTM and can use both. I'm using Music Manager from GPM to download all of the music I bought and got for free from GPM right now and I moved over to YTM last fall.

It swapped over my subscription from GPM to YTM and I thought the same thing you did, once I figured out YTM was no bueno for me I figured I would just go back to GPM until the finally killed it. But GPM now no longer lets me play anything I don't explicitly own, even if it's in one of my saved playlists and Google doesn't recognize that I have a GPM subscription. YTM still works like I'm subscribed but GPM doesn't recognize me as anything other than a free user. I went round and round in circles with it before I just gave up and went to Spotify. Trust me, I'd rather be using GPM until they completely get rid of it, but it just won't let me now. I'm sure I could call support and get it all fixed, but I figure that since I'd only be able to use GPM for four months more anyway, there's no real point so I'll deal.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 4, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I dunno what happened with yours, but mines the same as ThermoPhysical. I can use both GPM and YT Music, though I switched over recently enough that there hasn't been another billing period, so we'll see.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Transferred all my stuff from GPM to YTM, which was a very simple process, and I'm finding the app to be not that bad. I usually only stream music stations while I'm doing yardwork or grilling, and so far it seems like this will fit that need.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sourdough posted:

I dunno what happened with yours, but mines the same as ThermoPhysical. I can use both GPM and YT Music, though I switched over recently enough that there hasn't been another billing period, so we'll see.

I can still use both and i've gone through another billing period.

I'm still out of habit using GPM, but i guess i'll start trying out YPM

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

this has at least been talked about essentially ever since yt music launched, that they were going to eventually retire gpm in favor of it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not very familiar with YTM. Does it allow uploading of FLACs and other music files I have locally or from iTunes?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
What is the current podcast app of choice these days? I've just used GPM, but apparently I'll need to find something else with that shutting down.

I don't actually need many features. I'd really just like simplicity and easy of use. I don't queue up multiple episodes and I don't download in advance. As long as it shows what episodes I've already listened to and what the most recent ones are in a clean interface, it should work.

I don't mind spending GoogleBux on it if need be.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

incogneato posted:

What is the current podcast app of choice these days? I've just used GPM, but apparently I'll need to find something else with that shutting down.

I don't actually need many features. I'd really just like simplicity and easy of use. I don't queue up multiple episodes and I don't download in advance. As long as it shows what episodes I've already listened to and what the most recent ones are in a clean interface, it should work.

I use Pocketcasts but I'm kinda biased since I have a grandfathered lifetime plan. :v:

(They also have a desktop app, too)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't pay anything for it, but second PocketCasts.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

incogneato posted:

PocketCasts and Podcast Addict seem to be the best two I'm aware of. My personal pref these days is Podcast Addict after some interface changes that PocketCasts made that didn't agree with me, but it's really down to personal preference, they're both solid pieces of software.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'll agree with Pocket Casts. I've been using it for a couple years now and haven't had any issues at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a few years worth of my kids photos tied to my work Gmail account before I wised up and swapped over to my personal account. Is there a way to merge or transfer all the photos over to my personal account easily?

edit: This is all in Google Photos

edit 2: Google Takeout?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

PocketCasts and Podcast Addict seem to be the best two I'm aware of. My personal pref these days is Podcast Addict after some interface changes that PocketCasts made that didn't agree with me, but it's really down to personal preference, they're both solid pieces of software.

I had the same experience. I wouldn't have been so soured on PocketCasts if they kept a legacy interface instead of whatever the hell they did to it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I had the same experience. I wouldn't have been so soured on PocketCasts if they kept a legacy interface instead of whatever the hell they did to it.

The new interface is fine now. It's feature- complete and the ability to distinguish listened from archived makes it worth the change alone.

I will admit they should've waited a bit before taking the new interface out of beta but all the complaints have since been addressed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So, for some reason, Music Manager only downloads 2000 out of 3000 PAID FOR (and free) songs. So I'm just gonna use the website, download my entire library at like 100 something GB, sort through what I already have, and just...hope for the best, I guess?

I don't know.

I did some extensive research on this last night because there's no telling when Google will make it so you can't download your purchases this month and it seems MM has had this problem since launch and Google never has and never will fix it.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I have a few years worth of my kids photos tied to my work Gmail account before I wised up and swapped over to my personal account. Is there a way to merge or transfer all the photos over to my personal account easily?

Can you use the whatever family sharing feature they implemented?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

BonoMan posted:

I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but you could probably just select and share them with the personal account. Then hit the add to library on the personal account to add them all at once.

You can select whole months at a time when selecting photos to share (at least on the web view), so it probably wouldn't take too much effort.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ringu0 posted:

Can you use the whatever family sharing feature they implemented?

incogneato posted:

I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but you could probably just select and share them with the personal account. Then hit the add to library on the personal account to add them all at once.

You can select whole months at a time when selecting photos to share (at least on the web view), so it probably wouldn't take too much effort.

Good ideas. I wasn't quite sure if I could move them over independently after sharing but it seems i can.

I've already created the gigantic 30 gig Google Takeout download so I'm going to go ahead and download those. Gettin' those "COVID furlough" fears and I don't want to leave a smidge of a chance for this to get left behind.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, for some reason, Music Manager only downloads 2000 out of 3000 PAID FOR (and free) songs. So I'm just gonna use the website, download my entire library at like 100 something GB, sort through what I already have, and just...hope for the best, I guess?

I don't know.

I did some extensive research on this last night because there's no telling when Google will make it so you can't download your purchases this month and it seems MM has had this problem since launch and Google never has and never will fix it.

If you know which songs it didn't download you can make 10 playlists of 100 songs each and then download those from the website. I think 100 songs is the limit for downloading a playlist, but it might be 99. Or you could download all the songs individually from the website but that's even more of a pain in the rear end.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

The new interface is fine now. It's feature- complete and the ability to distinguish listened from archived makes it worth the change alone.

I will admit they should've waited a bit before taking the new interface out of beta but all the complaints have since been addressed.

Except my complaint that not having a manual update feed button is bullshit. :mad: Lately it's been hit or miss whether some of my podcasts will update on the day of release or not.

edit: I didn't actually make a formal complaint

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 5, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Except my complaint that not having a manual update feed button is bullshit. :mad:

Profile ptab, refresh now at the bottom

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

Profile ptab, refresh now at the bottom

Or pull down on the podcasts tab.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Tried a million times. Even though I can see new eps on the raw feed, sometimes it takes a full day for PC to snatch them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

incogneato posted:

Pocket Casts
Podcast Addict
Himalaya
Are 3 I have.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Tried a million times. Even though I can see new eps on the raw feed, sometimes it takes a full day for PC to snatch them.

On the screen for the podcast itself, tap the dropdown arrow to the right where the color break is. The podcast producer can (though some don't) publish the expected schedule there and I suspect, though I can't say for sure, that if the published schedule states a day of release which differs from the actual time of release that it could cause the discrepancy.

Either way though I'd think that pulling to refresh on the podcast screen would be enough to trigger the download. The thing is that I don't think the corner tag to show an unheard episode shows up until the download is complete and it takes a bit of time for all of the podcasts to refresh and download so it may not be apparent immediately after refresh.

Edit: Found out the struck out part above isn't true today. What I also found out is that new podcasts don't default to auto download, so in the settings > auto download, check that "Choose Podcasts" is set to All or at least the ones you want. I think it *does* default to auto download only if Choose Podcasts is set to All when you add the podcast, otherwise it defaults to not download.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 7, 2020

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any recommendations for a speed test app that is the least ad-choked? I'm looking to switch networks and I want to do a side by side test in the places I go most.

Similarly, recommendations that would tell me what tower/band I'm connected to? I'm using cellmapper which seems fine, but I'm open to suggestions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would just use a website instead, they're just as good in every practical sense but don't use any ads that you aren't capable of blocking with browser extensions. It's also guaranteed to give you a realistic impression of how much speed you can actually expect when browsing the web in that network.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, I'd heard this, I just can't be bothered to switch back. I'm sure PA will do something to piss me off sooner or later and then the dance will continue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Fluid Navigation Gestures for some time. I just enrolled in the Android 11 beta program, and the app doesn't hide the navigation buttons anymore (currently). I've emailed the dev, but in case that never happens, does anyone know of a similar app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Re: PocketCasts, all the UI changes have been meh to fine for me. But at some point in the last year, about 50% of the time I bring up a specific podcast's episode listing, PocketCasts will randomly hang on a blank screen for ~5 seconds. I thought maybe my pi-hole was blocking some phone home API they're using, but I feel like I was experiencing it when the pi-hole was down, too.

It's got me frustrated enough that I think I'm going to how Podcast Addict has been since I stopped using it years ago. Looks like my original premium purchase is still valid, to boot.