Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

those look drat cool

I'm really curious where this art made with this kind of tech will be in like 50 years. it's gonna be wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

No doubt AI / deep dreaming is gonna do some REALLY interesting things to procedurally generated art in the very very near future.

Talking Head

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
I have issues finding excuses to draw just for FUN, but recently started really enjoying turning obscure/hazy childhood memories into t-shirt designs since I get to expand my wardrobe with stuff I like at the end. Been drawing an average of one after work each day, and have been having a lot of fun thus far:

Let me know many of these weird references y'all get. ;)

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Dumb questions:

I have started to draw and it feels like a chore. Does that mean drawing 'isn't for me'? Or is that normal?

I have been trying to find a hobby and I know that any sort of hobby has work involved however I am not sure where to draw the line of "this isn't for me".

Any advice?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you're doing it purely for your own enjoyment and/or therapeutic value, then it should be something you consistently find fun. If your intent is to seriously improve and hone the skill further, and you're doing some actual study or something with a bunch of learning resources... then yeah it might feel like a chore sometimes, although you should at least feel like you're learning something from it. And it definitely shouldn't feel like a chore all the time.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Argue posted:

If you're doing it purely for your own enjoyment and/or therapeutic value, then it should be something you consistently find fun. If your intent is to seriously improve and hone the skill further, and you're doing some actual study or something with a bunch of learning resources... then yeah it might feel like a chore sometimes, although you should at least feel like you're learning something from it. And it definitely shouldn't feel like a chore all the time.

Is seeking critique at the beginning a good idea or does it do more harm than good? I am going to try again. I think I need to focus on having fun as opposed to doing "the right" things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't think seeking critique is ever a bad idea, as long as the people you ask know what they're talking about (although it can sting to hear sometimes). If you just ask a bunch of randos though then that's probably the wrong move.

Also, you might want to ask in the creative chat thread. There's also the stickied artdome thread I think, for critique.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks. Sorry if this was a derail.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Grrrrrrrrrreeeble.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Being bad at things is the first step to being good at things, I chant endlessly (it doesn't help)

Procreate on the ipad users, what do you like to use? I can't find anything that colours with the flawless telepathic understanding of my will that sai had for me, yet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What do you mean by use? If you mean brushes, you can look for Max Ulichney's brushes. They're all good, but the latest one, the watercolor set, is the first to use the new brush engine, and those brushes are wonderful and make nice use of the new color dynamics feature. The gouache set also complements the watercolor set well and happens to contain my favorite pencil for drawing in Procreate.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Argue posted:

What do you mean by use? If you mean brushes, you can look for Max Ulichney's brushes. They're all good, but the latest one, the watercolor set, is the first to use the new brush engine, and those brushes are wonderful and make nice use of the new color dynamics feature. The gouache set also complements the watercolor set well and happens to contain my favorite pencil for drawing in Procreate.

:same:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Yeah, I mean brushes! Thanks for the recommendation. There's a really nice pastel custom sai brush I use that I haven't found a match for in procreate.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Double posting to say the Max brushes are fantastic, I got the $5 essential pack and the pastels are really nice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Posting this here as well as the Links thread:

Is there a goon-approved online Photoshop/ Paint.net website that could be used for creating basic digital art?

Our schools are closed and I have to completely retool my Visual Arts class. I think that putting a greater emphasis on digital art would be the best way to get students to complete work.

Not all students will have the ability to download paint.net, so having an online equivalent that could work on older laptops and iPads feels like the way to go

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This is a longshot, but would one of you PS users be willing to draw a couple of strokes with these brushes and post the results to imgur or something? I'd like to have these brushes but Krita can only import the tip, so I can't be sure how the brushes are supposed to behave.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oldstench posted:

This is a longshot, but would one of you PS users be willing to draw a couple of strokes with these brushes and post the results to imgur or something? I'd like to have these brushes but Krita can only import the tip, so I can't be sure how the brushes are supposed to behave.

Lucky you, I got them installed (although it's free, so I guess it doesn't take much luck)

Here they are, in order of how they appear in the list when you import them, light pressure on top and strong on bottom. Note that some of the strokes might deceive you because of random scattering on the tip--and I bet some of them use the dual brush features too (didn't check).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I really appreciate it.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Hi, the op is kind of lacking.

What are the go-to softwares for making digital art without electronic-pen tablets?

Illustrator
Photoshop
??

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

What are the go-to softwares for making digital art without electronic-pen tablets?

Illustrator
Photoshop
??

Wut?

Any CGI software is usually better with a tablet. I don't understand the question. Most 3d software (unless it is sculpting) doesn't require a tablet. Not even photoshop or illustrator technically require a tablet but it helps.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've seen good art done from scratch with just a mouse and no tablet, but... I don't know that anyone would actually recommend trying it. Coloring of scanned lineart, I guess, would be feasible to an extent, in which case any of the usual suspects would work; I'd go with CSP because it has much better fill options.

If I only had a mouse to work with, I'd probably do a lot of pixel art, in which case you'd want Aseprite.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Illustrator
Photoshop
??

Just want to point out that Affinity makes very good Photoshop/Illustrator alternatives for a fraction of the price, and are permanent licenses as opposed to rental model.

And I would highly recommend getting even the cheapest model of pen tablet, working with a mouse just sucks.

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"Female Breast with Flowers", 2020. This work is a comment on Feminity.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Submission for artdome. Theme: Nyx - "goddess of night"

Here was the process.

I went with the one on the left but I am wondering now if the color saturation isn't too much. Eventually decided the skull was too over the top.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've got a shadowrun Choose your own adventure story going, and I wanted to share some art from it to get help to improve

I don't normally draw women, and I'm worried I'm not doing it right, or that there are things I could be improving a lot on.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Dear digital art thread. I am not a professional artist at all, but it's a hobby. I've been trying to learn procreate and get more back in the drawing space I was in when I was younger. Anyway, this is for you.

One of the better pieces of advice I got recently was to finish your projects and move on. This one went from digital sketch to flats to this. I considered going through and giving it a proper paint job, but I wanted to do this textured brush thing and I guess with that I need to put it down.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The wife has been playing through Breath of the Wild for the last couple weeks and I've been trying to get back in to the habit of drawing more often, so here's a couple things I've drawn this week complete with lazy, half assed backgrounds.

Been using ArtFlow on a PIxelbook which seems to be working fairly well, but I'll be goddamned if I don't have some gadget envy for an iPad Pro now.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I like your Zelda art anyway.

If you buy an iPad for art I’d recommend going all the way and getting the big one. You can work with the smaller surface but it’s sometimes restricting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gameko posted:

Dear digital art thread. I am not a professional artist at all, but it's a hobby. I've been trying to learn procreate and get more back in the drawing space I was in when I was younger. Anyway, this is for you.

One of the better pieces of advice I got recently was to finish your projects and move on. This one went from digital sketch to flats to this. I considered going through and giving it a proper paint job, but I wanted to do this textured brush thing and I guess with that I need to put it down.

Neat! I've got that bug right now as well; my family dug up my old high school sketchbooks from my art classes, and I'd like to get back into it.

Where's a good place to get a recommendation on hardware for drawing? I'd ideally like a standalone tablet that I can draw on and that if it has to connect to another device, it would do so via bluetooth. I'm also not a big fan of IOS stuff, and primarily use Windows/Android.

I did some searching and it looked like the Wacom One fit the bill? Just not sure if it's the sort of thing I should be looking at or if there are other options that might be better.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

babby's 3rd? I think 3rd. commission
I want pumpkin spice season to get here sooner now

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Neat! I've got that bug right now as well; my family dug up my old high school sketchbooks from my art classes, and I'd like to get back into it.

Where's a good place to get a recommendation on hardware for drawing? I'd ideally like a standalone tablet that I can draw on and that if it has to connect to another device, it would do so via bluetooth. I'm also not a big fan of IOS stuff, and primarily use Windows/Android.

I did some searching and it looked like the Wacom One fit the bill? Just not sure if it's the sort of thing I should be looking at or if there are other options that might be better.

And what software should we get if we want to be able to do both vector and raster based art? I already have an iPad so I’m trying to find something that works with that

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Squalid posted:

And what software should we get if we want to be able to do both vector and raster based art? I already have an iPad so I’m trying to find something that works with that

Affinity Designer for iPad.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

Affinity Designer for iPad.

Cool thanks. This seems like a good place to start. Before this I downloaded a program called Metabank and played around Medibang which was OK but I think I’d rather go ahead and buy something a little less free.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've (re)started painting digitally recently, in Photoshop, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm using a pretty old brush set I randomly found years ago though and I'm ambivalent about it — anyone have a good go-to suggestion for PS brushes?

For content, here's my goth rabbit video game alter ego I painted last week:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Goblins.

Kinda like the non digital version.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm finally biting the bullet and teaching myself how to draw. Right now I'm loving around doing D&D characters. I'm obviously a huge beginner, just look for crit on how to improve.

This is mostly done, used a ton of references

WIP, had a ref for the pose and quiver but having to figure out the rest on my own and I feel like I'm loving it up.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Two main things I'd say: look into the concept of line weight, and practice varying your line weight - right now your line weight is incredibly thick, pure black and consistently so throughout. Good character artists will vary line weight, especially around overlapping forms, to give dynamism to the figure. Secondly, study anatomy more, especially around what is sometimes called "grounding the figure", to make it sit in space correctly - in your second pic, the character feels very unbalanced, almost as if they're leaning over. Good stuff though, keep it up!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Our DnD campaign didn't happen tonight but we're all artists so we decided to make How To Draw Manga book covers. I somehow ended up over in Leifeld territory by the end of it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 21, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

perc2 posted:

Two main things I'd say: look into the concept of line weight, and practice varying your line weight - right now your line weight is incredibly thick, pure black and consistently so throughout. Good character artists will vary line weight, especially around overlapping forms, to give dynamism to the figure. Secondly, study anatomy more, especially around what is sometimes called "grounding the figure", to make it sit in space correctly - in your second pic, the character feels very unbalanced, almost as if they're leaning over. Good stuff though, keep it up!

This stuff pointed out here is right, but I think for an absolute beginner, you'll want to go even more fundamental with what you work on first. Drawabox has some good basic exercises and drills for someone starting out. That's not to say that you should only do the stuff here; feel free to also draw what you want; you definitely want to keep yourself motivated after all, and these exercises are very repetitive.

For figure drawing specifically, I don't recommend learning anatomy right away. Instead, learn gesture and basic proportions, and following that, learn to turn that gesture into a more volumetric drawing that doesn't necessarily follow correct anatomy. Proko has a whole course on figure drawing focused on just that (don't confuse it with the anatomy course, which I would say is a middle to advanced course) . Once you're more comfortable with gesture, then you can move on to learning more specific anatomy.

Of course, this isn't a linear track of study that I'm laying out here--all the things you'll learn from any resource will feed into each other, and you absolutely should study multiple things at once. These are just my suggestions for starting points. Just as long as it's within range of what you can handle, of course--you don't want to burn yourself out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Our DnD campaign didn't happen tonight but we're all artists so we decided to make How To Draw Manga book covers. I somehow ended up over in Leifeld territory by the end of it.

Oof... I hope the Sailor Moon thing is a joke. Sorry to be a negative nancy but this seems like trolling. Maybe not ... but ... mentioning Manga and Leifeld in the same post. Ugh.