Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Randallteal posted:

The main thing I'm picking up from watching pieces of this Carcinogen RE4 run is there was way more treasure than I ever knew about hanging on ceilings in that game. I knew about the gas lanterns under the village and most of the bird's nests, but drat they hid a lot of treasure right above your head in that game. I think I missed 99 percent of it the first time I played it.

Can confirm having recently been playing the Wii version. There's poo poo all over the place in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
RE3make spoilers so I'll use the tag where appropriate;

I was kinda bummed that Nicholai appears to die at the very end on the helipad, or more that they're left for dead. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the character because of how much of a bastard they are.

I'm reading the RE Wiki (VERY poorly edited and managed, I might add) and lo and behold, after reading his page and going back to look at the ending...

There's a second chopper on the helipad. Maybe they managed to get out after all.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 24, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone give some advice for playing the first Remake? I swear it was brought up a few pages ago in this thread, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I haven't played the REmake in years, but remember the basic stuff (i.e., difficulty, Jill's lock pick, burn zombie bodies, etc).

Edit: Bah, forget it. It's not a bad game, and I'm not saying it is, but the camera angles and the general...Clunkiness? I'm not sure how to accurately describe it, but it feels way too slow. It's still incredibly good looking, and it is spooky as poo poo, but I just cannot stand playing it.

I feel like a bad Resident Evil fan. :smith:

Leave fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 24, 2020

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Eh, a lot of people seem to have issues with the fixed camera RE games. There are control settings to help if you have issues with tank controls. The best place to mess with those settings is probably the main hall and the dining room since the camera changes a lot there, and there are no enemies to deal with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I could handle everything about it except the camera angles. Those have just broken my brain from the original RE2 back in the day all the way to trying this one a few weeks back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Leavemywife posted:

Can someone give some advice for playing the first Remake? I swear it was brought up a few pages ago in this thread, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I haven't played the REmake in years, but remember the basic stuff (i.e., difficulty, Jill's lock pick, burn zombie bodies, etc).

Edit: Bah, forget it. It's not a bad game, and I'm not saying it is, but the camera angles and the general...Clunkiness? I'm not sure how to accurately describe it, but it feels way too slow. It's still incredibly good looking, and it is spooky as poo poo, but I just cannot stand playing it.

I feel like a bad Resident Evil fan. :smith:

It was the last half of the page before this lol

Anyways, start on easy so you can focus on getting a mental layout of the mansion and where the items are. Try to dodge zombies instead of killing them, saves ammo and plus then you won't have to worry about crimson heads as much. With the shotgun try to let zombies get close and aim up for headshots, hopefully you'll get a decap. Imo using the alt style controls are better than classic tank, most likely youll find yourself pointing wrong direction on camera changes but it's still faster to correct yourself than to turn with tank, plus you can still use dpad tank for like moving objects or whatever. Don't ever bother shooting Lisa

site fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 24, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My biggest gripe with REmake so far is, since I decided to buy it on PC, the max resolution is 1920x1200. Which is black barred on left and right and top to bottom on my 1440p monitor.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DeadButDelicious posted:

RE3make spoilers so I'll use the tag where appropriate;

I was kinda bummed that Nicholai appears to die at the very end on the helipad, or more that they're left for dead. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the character because of how much of a bastard they are.

I'm reading the RE Wiki (VERY poorly edited and managed, I might add) and lo and behold, after reading his page and going back to look at the ending...

There's a second chopper on the helipad. Maybe they managed to get out after all.

he got out because survivor is still canon. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Unless RE3make is in its own universe or otherwise retcons the series, Nicholai escaping is canon, as unlikely as it may seem.

e: welp

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh wow, I didn't know that. When I played RE3 back in the day my Nicholai got SUPER murdered by Nemesis.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think the original Resident Evil 3 had a situation like RE1 and RE2 where technically, none of the endings you can see in the game are actually the canon ending.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know that. When I played RE3 back in the day my Nicholai got SUPER murdered by Nemesis.

Me too, it was actually quite creepy to my teenage self with him screaming offscreen and coming around to find him strung up like a side of beef. I like the other endings, but that made quite an impression back then.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think the original Resident Evil 3 had a situation like RE1 and RE2 where technically, none of the endings you can see in the game are actually the canon ending.

jill jumping off the bridge which makes nicholai not get dead by a drain demios and not blowing up nicholai's helicopter is the only canon choice since survivor

and re2... eh its always been claire A and leon B since RE6. i know some of the reports and poo poo went wild but its def calb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vikar Jerome posted:

the only canon choice since survivor
No wonder nobody cares, then.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

OhFunny posted:

My biggest gripe with REmake so far is, since I decided to buy it on PC, the max resolution is 1920x1200. Which is black barred on left and right and top to bottom on my 1440p monitor.

Why.. why wouldn't you put it on 1080? It's black barred because 1920x1200 is a different aspect ratio

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Survivor is only canon because Resident Evil 0 mentioned it. Another sin that Resident Evil 0 committed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

codo27 posted:

Why.. why wouldn't you put it on 1080? It's black barred because 1920x1200 is a different aspect ratio

Well in the display options I selected the original 4:3 ratio since I didn't want to crop the pre-rendered backgrounds by playing in 16:9, so I selected 1200p in the resolution settings since i figured that was the best match.

Now that I've bothered to check. 1080p does scale to the top and bottom of the screen with only black bars to the left and right in 4:3 without any cropping, so I guess the answer is I'm an idiot lol.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If anyone was concerned about the launch performance of RE5 and 6 on Switch, I can confirm that updates have fixed it all. It has a stable framerate now. I’d be down for some coop in either sometime. I’ve played RE5 multiple times but haven’t played 6 since the original release, before the patches. I’m curious how it holds up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't play RE6 at launch at all, so take it from someone who played it for the first time only a year or two or so ago: it doesn't. RE6 is a bad game completely independently from when it was released or from the expectations of the Resident Evil fanbase at the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, don't play RE6.

If memory serves, it's the only RE game I just quit on and never finished.

*checks memory*

Yes, this was indeed my experience. I forget where I said "gently caress this trash" but I'm pretty sure I was in a sewer. That game flushed everything great about the series right down the toilet and ignored anything having to with the Survival Horror game play I enjoy and was expecting. I didn't like it and do not recommend it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Some fool gonna try and sell you on how great the Mercs is but don't play it anyway

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only thing I enjoyed about 6 was the melee stuff. Otherwise my friend and I rage quit twice somewhere in the subway station when the train would just randomly kill us whether we were in the way or not. The story isn't that great either so if you really think you're missing out just watch a youtube video of someone stringing the cutscenes together.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I mean I beat it before and I didn’t hate it. My biggest gripe was there was way too much content. They could have taken stuff from the 3 campaigns to make one great one. Game is bloated as gently caress.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

RE 6 apologist here. I enjoyed it more than 5 ultimately, and you can really get buck wild once you have a handle on the largely unexplained controls and mechanics.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
RE6 kicks rear end, and those parts that are bad? You bet your rear end, buddy: they’re good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
6 was the sliding on the floor game right

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One of the best parts of the entire series is that monster that will push Leon into a meat grinder with it if you fail the QTE.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of the best parts of the entire series is that monster that will push Leon into a meat grinder with it if you fail the QTE.

Oh yeah. that ONE quick time event.

I remember now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best part is if your partner, player or AI controlled, is just standing in frame while it happens.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Bits and pieces of RE6 were okay, but mostly it was just a slog. It's also Peak Bloat for the series. Compare the tidy puzzle boxes of RE and RE2 to the citywide setpieces in RE6—or, more fairly, the village in RE4—and it's just a game that forgets where the hell it came from.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toaster Beef posted:

Bits and pieces of RE6 were okay, but mostly it was just a slog. It's also Peak Bloat for the series. Compare the tidy puzzle boxes of RE and RE2 to the citywide setpieces in RE6—or, more fairly, the village in RE4—and it's just a game that forgets where the hell it came from.

I feel they at least learned from the reception since 7 and RE2R turned out so well. I haven’t gotten to RE3R yet but 8 looks promising as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RE3R very definitely dodged the bloat problem

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yeah it went too far in the other direction

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

3 isn’t horrible or anything but it’s like the cigarette after the meal that was 2, it underdelivers on its potential while still being a solid title.

8 is gonna be hype as gently caress.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I honestly thought REMake3 was sort of middling to bad, which feels insane to say given how much I like REMake2 and how mechanically similar they are.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hear it wasn’t as good but I’m still looking forward to trying it after finishing 1 Remake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

More middling than bad, certainly. It ended up looking a lot worse than it might have otherwise because it was essentially the direct sequel to RE2make and so strongly connected to it in people's minds. I wouldn't say it's even as bad as Code Veronica, which I personally hated but certainly wouldn't call the worst game in the series. I'd call it comparable to RE5 in that it's more or less a flawed attempt to recapture the success of a much better game and doesn't quite get it right.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
It's honestly kind of impressive that Capcom managed to evoke similar feelings in people comparing Remake 3 to Remake 2 as people who compared the original 3 to the original 2.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The hilarious part is that all it would have taken to make a lot of the people that dislike it happy is....one more 30 minute set-piece in the late early-game/middleish? We aren't talking about massive, systemic changes. They needed one more bit, preferably where early form nemmie shows up doing things, and that's it. People would have been just fine with the game. It still wouldn't have been as good as ReRE2, game would still have flaws, but they wouldn't have been so letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mulva posted:

The hilarious part is that all it would have taken to make a lot of the people that dislike it happy is....one more 30 minute set-piece in the late early-game/middleish? We aren't talking about massive, systemic changes. They needed one more bit, preferably where early form nemmie shows up doing things, and that's it. People would have been just fine with the game. It still wouldn't have been as good as ReRE2, game would still have flaws, but they wouldn't have been so letdown.
It wasn't just that, it was super linear and the re-playability was stripped from it too. In 2 if you wanted to unlock everything it wasn't a big deal to play it 5, 6 more times to unlock the other costumes/infinite weapons/S Ranks because it was so fun and you could learn different/better routes or more creative ways of avoiding zombies.

REmake 3 was just a straight path, a shorter story, and the rewards for multiple clears just weren't as appealing or challenging. RE3 was kinda like a stripped-down DLC on another less powerful console because they didn't have the space on a 3DS cartridge. It's still fun in a bubble, it's just a really small bubble.