Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

David Lynch presents Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

David Lynch presents Fallout.

don't tease me

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

albany academy posted:

don't tease me

Swery65 presents David Lynch's Fallout: The Show: The Game.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Reality Protester posted:

It's gonna be Bethesda fallout. gotta tick those checkboxes. Brotherhood of Steel? check.

Gonna be the equivalent of that meme where it says 'war dehumanizes, consumerism is unsustainable, class disparity and racism are bad, nationalism is suicidal', all going over the guys head and all they see is "Whoa, cool power armor".

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
We already have The Road

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

MariusLecter posted:

Gonna be the equivalent of that meme where it says 'war dehumanizes, consumerism is unsustainable, class disparity and racism are bad, nationalism is suicidal', all going over the guys head and all they see is "Whoa, cool power armor".

It would be funny if the show actually did explicitly talk about those themes and then all the gamers would be making GBS threads their diapers screaming "Why did they make this fallout show so political???" :qq: :qq: :qq:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think it's a terrible idea because the tonal palette of these video games is all over the loving place and a TV show just could not pull that off.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like it's got to be either gory slapstick or The Road with ray gun aesthetics

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fallout was almost always gory slapstick, except the rare times during New Vegas when it tried not to be

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's nothing in particular about Fallout that would make any story in its setting be instantly good. You only get out what the writers put into it.

I guess what Fallout has going for it as opposed to other postapocalyptic settings is that there's already a new society grown from the ashes of the old doing its own thing, while so many other settings just wallow forever in the end of the world. Of course, sometimes Bethesda in particular likes to forget about that and act like the bombs fell yesterday, which makes it a lot more generic. They play up the 50s angle a lot too, which can be fun, but can also get old or uncomfortable (they do sure leave out certain bits of the 50s, don't they). Come to think of it, Nausicaa goes even harder on "postapocalyptic world where society has moved on," and I think I'd like to see more things go down that route, teeming with life instead of another wasteland with your stereotypical punk bandits who come from nowhere.

Aside from that, the setting does come packaged with factions, technology, monsters, characters, drugs, and a bunch of mutant stuff that can give any new work in the setting some texture. Worldbuilding is tough sometimes.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Not sure where else to ask this, but does anyone know when the fallout ttrpg is going to release? I know there was a beta for the 2d20 system in January but I haven’t heard anything since then.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
the only great fallouts are 1 and new vegas

the rest range from okay to Brotherhood of Steel

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fallout 2 did everything Fallout 1 did and made it much less archaic (except the tutorial area, who thought that was a good idea)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DeathChicken posted:

Fallout 2 did everything Fallout 1 did and made it much less archaic (except the tutorial area, who thought that was a good idea)

directive from the higher ups that no one on the dev team liked, iirc.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
In Fallout 2 you could shove Sulik out of blocking a doorway whereas in Fallout 1 you’d have to reload a previous save if Ian is doing it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

In Fallout 2 you could shove Sulik out of blocking a doorway whereas in Fallout 1 you’d have to reload a previous save if Ian is doing it

Also you could tell your companions not to use full auto, whereas in Fallout 1 like half my deaths were from Ian and his goddamn SMG.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Ian does the sprayin’
Vault dweller does the pray in’

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/family-poisoned-after-mistaking-hell-s-bells-for-spinach-1.5045148

quote:

French authorities have warned people to beware of confusing New Zealand spinach with a deadly flower after a family of four were poisoned by the plant.
The four women ended up in the intensive care unit of a hospital in eastern France after eating datura leaves, a toxic plant also known as the Devil's weed and Hell's bells, said the French food safety agency, Anses

Spinach good, spinach bitter. Wisdom good, wisdom bitter. You see?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Josh Sawyer has a new project. It's happening, folks.

Fallout: New Vegas 2: Arcanum

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is unrelated to the POE spinoff game?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Yeah, apparently.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah so I too am vaguely hoping for something but deep down I know it won't happen too :smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is this real? Any links?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s been a known thing for awhile. Small team.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Yeah just Josh Sawyer saying he's working on something that isn't Grounded or Avowed. Don't wanna make it seem like something it isn't.

Besides maybe F:NV2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, so literally nothing then.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nope, Josh just tweeted that he has a project and it's a slow news day so several articles popped up about it. We know nothing new.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Darklands: New Germany confirmed, can't wait :woop:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

An enhanced edition of Icewind Dale 2 featuring the fifth edition of D&D.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It's that thing he was scouting new Orleans about a few years ago plz

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Darklands: New Germany confirmed, can't wait :woop:

god i'd kill for a new darklands game unironically

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gyshall posted:

It's that thing he was scouting new Orleans about a few years ago plz

I don't think he was scouting New Orleans, but a few years ago he'd have probably referred to "Project Louisiana" a couple of times; it was the codename for Pillars Of Eternity 2

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

HiroProtagonist posted:

god i'd kill for a new darklands game unironically

I'll be your sacrificial lamb if it means we get Darklands 2

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Temper your expectations for a BIG project, 5 people are on the team according to what he said on a stream. It's probably gonna be a small-size labor of love quirky game meant to go on GamePass to bolster Microsoft's portfolio. Which to me is more exciting, given the man clearly doesn't seem passionate about doing another big project, and he has shown a lot of interest in indie storytelling-focused games like Night in the Woods, Disco Elysium and Kentucky Route Zero.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Node posted:

I'll be your sacrificial lamb if it means we get Darklands 2
Darklands 2 - the second Reich.

Alpha Protocol 2 please.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Maybe Disney gave them the go-ahead for Dwarves again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VaultAggie posted:

Maybe Disney gave them the go-ahead for Dwarves again.

please no

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know people always commend New Vegas's writing for being "Morally Grey" or "Mature" or "Hegelian Dialectic". But the thing I love about it is how "Mythic" and larger than life it is. The way the ending slides talk about things as if their written centuries later after the events of the game and all the characters have been mythologized. For instance they used the fact they couldn't refer to the player character by name to make "Courier" into some kind of messianic title complete with symbolically dying and being resurrected. The Burned Man as a vengeful spirit. How Sierra Madre is treated as a literal rather than metaphorical hell. The Think Tank and how different characters confront them as if they were Fey beings that one had to outwit like in a parable. Or the way that the ending of Dead Money refers to "The Divide" as being like some kinda cultural touchstone, something that in the future everybody knows about, like they were taught about it a children around the campfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol 2 please.

don’t tease me like this