Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are these any good? Should I be excited for this?

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1290783600053493762?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good is a ............strong word

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
they're fun if you turn your brain off or, uh, have it temporarily running on a different setting, shall we say

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Good enough for me, I'm excited for. I'd seen those movies on Amazon before but 30 dollars is too much for one movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/3qeuC0B.mp4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

You can watch em on Tubi for free. They’re awful.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I watched Return of Godzilla (1984) today for the first time in years. It’s interesting to watch it and compare to Shin Godzilla. Fun stuff. It’s amazing that they had that big loving robot Godzilla suit for some scenes. The bubble economy was wild.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still really love the visual style of that film and it is my favorite looking Godzilla of the bunch. I wish they stuck with that scale, as well. It was perfect for major city interaction.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

I still really love the visual style of that film and it is my favorite looking Godzilla of the bunch. I wish they stuck with that scale, as well. It was perfect for major city interaction.

Being that 1984 was the first time I visited Japan and saw the trailer for the movie in a theater on that trip it also holds a special place in my heart. And yeah 1980s Japan was great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
G84 isn't my favorite and it has some dull stretches but I'm pretty sure the american edit is the first Godzilla I ever saw. It was either that one or SpaceGodzilla super early one morning before school back on Starz or Showtime or something.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

That is super adorable :3:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I watched Return of Godzilla (1984) today for the first time in years. It’s interesting to watch it and compare to Shin Godzilla. Fun stuff. It’s amazing that they had that big loving robot Godzilla suit for some scenes. The bubble economy was wild.

They were maybe influenced by the publicity surrounding the animatronic shark in Jaws and the big robot in King Kong (even though the latter is barely in the movie), though animatronics were becoming more of a thing in general. It's just a shame that it and the suit ended up looking so different.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That kid is living their best life.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I love Godzilla 84. I find its slow pace gives it this methodical nightmarish feel, helped in part by one of the most purely menacing scores of the entire series.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

This might sound dumb as hell, but the Blu-ray menu for '84 always gives me huge flashes of that feeling you'd get when you'd fall asleep while watching a DVD and the menu would repeat over and over again.

Something about this song makes me feel like it's 3am and I'm half asleep, but not awake enough to turn off the TV:

https://youtu.be/p2aTl3YJNYs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Biff Rockgroin posted:

This might sound dumb as hell, but the Blu-ray menu for '84 always gives me huge flashes of that feeling you'd get when you'd fall asleep while watching a DVD and the menu would repeat over and over again.

Something about this song makes me feel like it's 3am and I'm half asleep, but not awake enough to turn off the TV:

https://youtu.be/p2aTl3YJNYs

Nah I got ya, it's got that chintzy, raw unprocessed vapourwave sound to it. If it wasn't for the vocals it'd sound like something that'd play after regular broadcasting had finished for the night

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

G84 isn't my favorite and it has some dull stretches but I'm pretty sure the american edit is the first Godzilla I ever saw. It was either that one or SpaceGodzilla super early one morning before school back on Starz or Showtime or something.

It was the first Godzilla movie I found to rent on VHS and remember being vaguely disappointed when I saw it (being, like, 8) because Godzilla fought other monsters and he was just fighting the army.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, the discs on the right side of the Criterion book are such a loving bitch to get out. At least on the left I can bend the paper a bit. Great transfers tho!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m about halfway through the Criterion set and I’m wondering is there a good way to watch the Heisei era movies? Streaming or physical is fine, but I don’t want to spend 300 bucks on a DVD set or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m about halfway through the Criterion set and I’m wondering is there a good way to watch the Heisei era movies? Streaming or physical is fine, but I don’t want to spend 300 bucks on a DVD set or something.

Nope. They're in distribution rights hell.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Archive.org

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

yep. and I think at least some are available for purchase on youtube or one of the other more off-brand streaming sites.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never bought blu-rays as fast as I did when those films became available for that short time. Divisive as those films are, I enjoyed them all a ton.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So the Heisei films are back to being bootleg only treasures- this seems weirdly appropriate.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Biollante being the rarest of them all feels right too. "So, there's the one, where Godzilla fights a giant flower but its also the scientist's daughter. It turns into a gigantic tentacle monster that looks more evil than Godzilla but its actually good and wins. It ends with the daughter's face appearing in the sky as the plant monster goes into space. No, Godzilla doesn't die he just kinds of decides this is bullshit and leaves I guess."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Godzilla vs. Biollante was a movie I had looked for and could never find. I've never seen it and have heard good things about it. I think there were a few copies available on Amazon but they were ridiculously expensive.

Then, if I am remembering this correctly, someone in this thread spotted it on Amazon for only like $12, blu-ray. I jumped on it and ordered. That way back in May.

I periodically get a message saying "this is not available for shipping yet, do you still want it?" and click yes, and keep waiting. I don't know if it will ever come in, but my fingers are crossed.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 6, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah G vs Biollante is one of the best of the franchise in a lot of ways. It really was peak 80s and lead the way to the incredible weirdness of the 90s G films.

It's been a long time since I've seen it: was there a definite link between Biollante and Space G or was that just theorized in fandom?

Also what was with the 90s obsession with psychic girls in both Godzilla and Gamera?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah G vs Biollante is one of the best of the franchise in a lot of ways. It really was peak 80s and lead the way to the incredible weirdness of the 90s G films.

It's been a long time since I've seen it: was there a definite link between Biollante and Space G or was that just theorized in fandom?

Also what was with the 90s obsession with psychic girls in both Godzilla and Gamera?

That was only ever a theory...in Space Godzilla itself.

They basically talk out their rear end that maybe bio cells got on Mothra and then went into a black hole

It's great nonsense

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Psychics are cool? :shrug:

It's also an easy way to bridge your human characters and your kaiju, without having Godzilla talk like in vs Gigan.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

Psychics are cool? :shrug:

It's also an easy way to bridge your human characters and your kaiju, without having Godzilla talk like in vs Gigan.

Oh I shouldn’t have said it disparagingly as I actually liked it, but it just seemed odd that in both franchises there were psychic girls that had connections with the kaiju. OTOH it’s better than children like in the 60s-70s movies I suppose.

Burkion posted:

That was only ever a theory...in Space Godzilla itself.

They basically talk out their rear end that maybe bio cells got on Mothra and then went into a black hole

It's great nonsense

Ahhh ok. It’s probably been at least a dozen years since I’ve watched Space Godzilla so the details were fuzzy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh I’m well aware of the popularity of ESPERs in Japanese anime and shows since at least the 1960s, it just seemed to have had a particularly strong presence in the 90s.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh I shouldn’t have said it disparagingly as I actually liked it, but it just seemed odd that in both franchises there were psychic girls that had connections with the kaiju. OTOH it’s better than children like in the 60s-70s movies I suppose.
During the late 80s continuing on into the 90s both America and Japan experienced a pop culture resurgence in interest in paranormal unsolved mysteries stuff including psychics, ufos, crystal magics, etc. Hence the X-Files, Unsolved Mysteries, and similar shows over here in the states.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One day in the early to mid 2010s I went to Amazon and bought Biolante on bluray on a whim for $8.

I don't think I paid more than $20 for a single Godzilla movie. Criterion book set thing nonwithstanding. Heck, I don't think I paid more than $20 for their standalone Gojira.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

One day in the early to mid 2010s I went to Amazon and bought Biolante on bluray on a whim for $8.

I don't think I paid more than $20 for a single Godzilla movie. Criterion book set thing nonwithstanding. Heck, I don't think I paid more than $20 for their standalone Gojira.

For a while the Sony Heisei/Millennium double-packs could be found at Walmart for less than $10 each, so I snapped all of them up when I could. I think I paid full price for G84 when it came out but that was the only pricy one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For a while the Sony Heisei/Millennium double-packs could be found at Walmart for less than $10 each, so I snapped all of them up when I could. I think I paid full price for G84 when it came out but that was the only pricy one.

I really should have done that way back when. I still can't recall the last time I saw the original Japanese version of The Return of Godzilla.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood had a psychic woman too, in 1988.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood had a psychic woman too, in 1988.

That script was originally conceived as Carrie vs Jason.

Honestly, the question isn't why did Gamera and Godzilla have psychic girls in the 90s, it's why didn't Gamera and Godzilla have psychic girls until the nineties.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aren’t the Mothra Twins semi-psychic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION