Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can confirm that Beyond Skyline absolutely lives up to the hype. That was a ton of fun, and better than, well, most of the trash coming out of AAA blockbuster Hollywood. Was really happy to see they built physical suits for the aliens, I guessed that was all CG.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lumbermouth posted:

Hard Target verdict: still rules.

Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo are such an incredible villain team. Just GOING FOR IT in the best way possible. Henriksen’s little ‘oop’ when the grenade fuse ignites still makes me laugh.

So, what's the best John Woo movie?

I absolutely love Hard Target, and really enjoyed the tv movie Woo made with Dolph Lundgren, but I never got around to checking out Woo's Hong Kong movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

I absolutely love Hard Target, and really enjoyed the tv movie Woo made with Dolph Lundgren, but I never got around to checking out Woo's Hong Kong movies.

For me it will always be Hard Boiled. As far as his Hollywood movies though, I actually think the one that hangs together the most and holds up as a legit action movie is Broken Arrow. Face Off is a lot of fun but most of that is the performances.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

My favorite is The Killer. When it comes to his Hollywood work I prefer Hard Target and also think Windtalkers is pretty good and severely underrated.

And I agree that Blackjack is fun and alright for a tv movie.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Thanks for the Nemesis info - it unironically rules. I can't believe I haven't seen it before. It's basically a Kojima movie. And the eyewear overall is loving awesome

midge fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 6, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterCat posted:

Hard boiled and it frankly isn't close . Be aware that the final fight scene is quite lengthy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
47 Ronin rules. What a great amount of dumb fun. Keanu must have had the time of his life making such a ridiculous film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

midge posted:

Thanks for the Nemesis info - it unironically rules. I can't believe I haven't seen it before. It's basically a Kojima movie. And the eyewear overall is loving awesome

It really does. It's the movie i wrote in my head when i rented syndicate wars as a kid. Man, i really want to play syndicate wars now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished Man of Tai Chi, which was rad. Keanu is a fantastic villain, and the big “twist” near the end was actually pretty clever.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 6, 2020

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Basebf555 posted:

For me it will always be Hard Boiled. As far as his Hollywood movies though, I actually think the one that hangs together the most and holds up as a legit action movie is Broken Arrow. Face Off is a lot of fun but most of that is the performances.

Once a week I go on the Just Watch app and put in hard boiled and then get really sad. It's easily my favorite John Woo movie and pretty much got me into action movies

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I think it's a toss-up between Hard Boiled and The Killer. Hard Boiled has unquestionably better action, but I think The Killer is a slightly better overall package.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

B-Rock452 posted:

Once a week I go on the Just Watch app and put in hard boiled and then get really sad. It's easily my favorite John Woo movie and pretty much got me into action movies

Just watch is both super useful and also a stark reminder on how terrible streaming content really is. I hadnt realized hard boiled was available absolutely nowhere.

My go-to frustration is fury road, a lot of people I know haven't seen it and its only streamable on a smattering of weird services, none of the major ones

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The John Woo Official and Definitive Ranking:

The Killer>A Better Tomorrow>Hard Boiled>Eat the Rice scene from ABT2>Bullet in the Head>Final 20 minutes of ABT2>Rest

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Watched Ong Bak again last night, I would argue that it is the greatest martial arts movie of all time, especially if you use the number of blows actually landed on the actors during filming as criteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDSDjfsHzA&t=228s

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think Tony Jaa is a great lead but drat that's a great sequence

SPL2 is pretty much his perfect role for me. Wu Jing handles the tom cruise level charisma , and Jaa gets to just kick rear end

Although man I loved him in furious 7, with nothing but lines like "too slow' against poor Paul walker

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

B-Rock452 posted:

I had the clarinet solo at the beginning as my ringtone for around 2 years. Hard Boiled has some of the best ambience of any movie, it doesn't quite look 80s, it doesn't quite look 90s, it looks like what I, a westerner, have romanticized as a perpetual pre-handover Hong Kong, forever.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I had the clarinet solo at the beginning as my ringtone for around 2 years. Hard Boiled has some of the best ambience of any movie, it doesn't quite look 80s, it doesn't quite look 90s, it looks like what I, a westerner, have romanticized as a perpetual pre-handover Hong Kong, forever.

:same: and when I visited Hong Kong (about 10 years ago) the ambience 100% lived up to it

e: chow flipping the handgun to leung then diving off the pier is so cool

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hard Boiled has the greatest shotgun effects in cinema history. poo poo just EXPLODES, it’s amazing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If yall are going to talk about Tony Jaa it is criminal not to mention The Protector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSmMJukdBYQ

Never in my whole life have I seen a movie kick so much rear end while also making so little sense.

If you want to throw logic out the window and watch Tony Jaa act like a maniac and brutalize stuntmen, The Protector is your ride.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 6, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm like 30 minutes into Lockout with Guy Peace and Peter Stormare in a space prison and this is so hilariously over the top ridiculous that I can't help but reccomend it. There's even an LOPD (Low Orbit Police Department) and Guy Pearce has to enter a space station via skitching on the wing of a shuttle

edit: the opening 30 minutes are the best part. Everything else sucks. Lmao.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 7, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qaoo387sag1v6w3ju.mp4

Donnie Yen and his stunt team doing one of those 'Lockdown / Pass the Camera' videos :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Taintrunner posted:

I'm like 30 minutes into Lockout with Guy Peace and Peter Stormare in a space prison and this is so hilariously over the top ridiculous that I can't help but reccomend it. There's even an LOPD (Low Orbit Police Department) and Guy Pearce has to enter a space station via skitching on the wing of a shuttle

edit: the opening 30 minutes are the best part. Everything else sucks. Lmao.

I do have a soft spot for Lockdown, Pierce's character is such a loveable prick. Also quite brave of a film to have one VERY Glaswegian badguy and his strangely less weegie brother front and centre. You're right though, it is a bit front loaded.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lockout made me wish for another Guy Pearce: Action Hero movie. He's just so fun as Less Likable Snake Plisskin.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Lumbermouth posted:

Lockout made me wish for another Guy Pearce: Action Hero movie. He's just so fun as Less Likable Snake Plisskin.
Disturbing the Peace is watchable and even has some Home Alone-style traps in it

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm watching Korean action movie The Villainess right now, and while it's quite boring and just not very good overall, I am incredibly impressed with some of the camerawork/editing. That motorcycle fight scene is mind-blowing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This movie is fuckin wild, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFfeWCMCM8

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tak :swoon:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes. I am so horny for this.gently caress 1917, this is when real movies are made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd rather just see Tak make a samurai movie without having to also worry about this one take nonsense. But whatever I'll probably still like it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I'd rather just see Tak make a samurai movie without having to also worry about this one take nonsense. But whatever I'll probably still like it.

It's about as straight ahead as any samurai movie I've seen. There's maybe about 20-30 minutes of story exposition in the whole thing and the rest is just fighting. Since it's one long take I do love how you see Tak getting visibly and realistically tired as the battle goes on and the sky change from day to evening. It's perhaps more of a curiosity than a fully-realized film but it still whips rear end.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I assume the fifty guys who are behind him at every point don't just stab him in the back due to honor?

Should have hired some ninja.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I assume the fifty guys who are behind him at every point don't just stab him in the back due to honor?

They absolutely take turns fighting him face to face, yes. For honour!

(I don't know where chopping a dudes fingers off falls on the scale of honour but that happens at one point too)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Most samurai films tend to lean on the idea that this guy(whoever it is, Musashi, Yojimbo, etc.) is so feared that really nobody wants to be the one to have to run in there, and after he whips around at lightning speed and kills a guy coming at his back a few times they think twice about it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Also I don't know why they're underselling it as 400-1? Someone counted and there are 588 kills in this thing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I've always thought that the highest measure of an action director's skill in handling one vs many fights is hiding the guys in the background so you don't keep asking yourself why they don't all attack him at once.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

dokmo posted:

I've always thought that the highest measure of an action director's skill in handling one vs many fights is hiding the guys in the background so you don't keep asking yourself why they don't all attack him at once.

It doesn't really matter where they are I'm going to ask that every time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't remember which Mifune movie it is, maybe samurai ii, but he fights a giant group in muddy rice fields and everyone's footing is so bad that trying to get to him without stumbling is really hard. So he just easily kills anyone who gets within range as he slowly and surefootedly moves through them

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Boco_T posted:

Disturbing the Peace is watchable and even has some Home Alone-style traps in it
Read this as Disturbing the Pearce and I mean come on, how did they not go for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Watched Upgrade and Beyond Skyline on Netflix last week. Neither disappointed at all. Very satisfying sci fi action.