Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Some of ya'll have never read a truly bad book and it shows.

Raising Steam isn't top tier by any means. Read it for yourself.

Snuff is good. Characters change. Read it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Remora posted:

Some of ya'll have never read a truly bad book and it shows.
That we could all be so lucky.

I admit, I don’t really read prose nowadays so I can’t say I’ve read a truly bad book in the last few years. I guess I can say I’ve read bad manga

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All Pratchetts are very quick reads and can be acquired at a reasonable price. "Dare I read it?" is quite moot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I never understood the hate for Raising Steam -- it wasn't his best story, and Vetinari in particular seems more of a flanderized Mary Sue than usual, but it felt like a purposeful send-off for the Discworld with a ton of old characters and locations being trotted out for one last goodbye.

The only thing that seemed "off" was that I didn't actually understand how Moist used the golems to prop up the train over that missing bridge. Usually there's an "ah-ha" moment when you figure out the trick, but the way it was presented I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I thought maybe they'd just have the golems holding the train up or something, but the actual passage was really puzzling, with Moist (or was it Vimes?) going over the edge and tapdancing on nothing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

I never understood the hate for Raising Steam -- it wasn't his best story, and Vetinari in particular seems more of a flanderized Mary Sue than usual, but it felt like a purposeful send-off for the Discworld with a ton of old characters and locations being trotted out for one last goodbye.

The only thing that seemed "off" was that I didn't actually understand how Moist used the golems to prop up the train over that missing bridge. Usually there's an "ah-ha" moment when you figure out the trick, but the way it was presented I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I thought maybe they'd just have the golems holding the train up or something, but the actual passage was really puzzling, with Moist (or was it Vimes?) going over the edge and tapdancing on nothing.

there's no hate, it's just a bad book

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a book that he had to dictate because he couldn't write anymore and then couldn't really edit either and that's how it reads. To call it 'bad' does him a disservice - he did the best he still could in terrible circumstances. It's just rough to read.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

It's a book that he had to dictate because he couldn't write anymore and then couldn't really edit either and that's how it reads.

That's how Wallace sold millions and millions. Only for him it was needing the money doot swoot, not illness.

Also almost all of Wallace's novels are poo but anyway I'm sure I had a point going into this :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's how Wallace sold millions and millions. Only for him it was needing the money doot swoot, not illness.

Also almost all of Wallace's novels are poo but anyway I'm sure I had a point going into this :shrug:

*polite noncommittal grunt*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megazver posted:

It's a book that he had to dictate because he couldn't write anymore and then couldn't really edit either and that's how it reads. To call it 'bad' does him a disservice - he did the best he still could in terrible circumstances. It's just rough to read.

Every book that he did in that period is basically a small miracle.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

The only late-Pratchett book I found "unreadable" was Unseen Academicals, but I think that's partly because I just don't give a drat about football.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I actually didn't hate Raising Steam when I first read it, it just wasn't one of my favorites. Then I started re-reading all of the Discworld books last fall and after reading it back-to-back with several others around that time, it's just sort of "meh"

But to echo what someone else said, they're short books and I don't think I've ever felt like it was time wasted reading one, even if it wasn't one of my favorites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Moola posted:

It took that exact moment in the podcast to get me to realise it was phoenix "down"

Thought it was some weird japanese translation for teammate down or something lol

I love these moments where you find out there's a disconnect you never even noticed. Something in my upbringing led to feathers being the first way I instinctively parsed it and I'm sitting here wondering how anyone can see it otherwise. I mean, I get that they CAN, it's just hard for me to get into that mindset.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As for the *actual* topic of conversation, my only complaint about Raising Steam is it felt like the characters all had the same voice. As others have said, a first-draft problem rather than a bad-writing one.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

As for the *actual* topic of conversation, my only complaint about Raising Steam is it felt like the characters all had the same voice. As others have said, a first-draft problem rather than a bad-writing one.

This - I remember it feeling really confusing because of this. I still think you should read it though, why wouldn't you read every Discworld book?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BurgerQuest posted:

why wouldn't you read every Discworld book?

I've been putting off some of them for a long time because I am still not wholly prepared to live in a world where I will never again read a Discworld novel for the first time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm still on my years long reread of Discworld. I just got to the part in Wintersmith were Roland is expressing how much he hates creatures that destroy memories and I was wondering why the story would take this small time out to talk about this. And then cos I'm reading on a kindle I noticed someone had underlined it and my brain finally caught up with me. :(

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BurgerQuest posted:

This - I remember it feeling really confusing because of this. I still think you should read it though, why wouldn't you read every Discworld book?

there's some entertainment in watching bad movies with friends, but there's nothing to gain from reading bad books, which the last ones were

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I've been putting off some of them for a long time because I am still not wholly prepared to live in a world where I will never again read a Discworld novel for the first time.

That's not a bad reason, I think I got into them around 95 so had a good amount of backlog and then have read them on release since then.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

there's some entertainment in watching bad movies with friends, but there's nothing to gain from reading bad books, which the last ones were

There is a little to gain when the 'bad books' are also the denouement and the goodbye to the beloved characters of a forty-something book series, most of which you've already read.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

So, putting aside my feelings on the later discworld novels, I disagree with the premise that there's nothing to be gained from reading bad books. I've had a blast reading, for example, some of the worse Star Wars EU novels. A really bad book can be as fun as a terrible movie, for the same reasons. Even a mediocre book can have it's place when you need something comforting and unchallenging. I read the bounty hunter trilogy after my father-in-law died because I needed something predictable and just engaging enough to keep my mind off of things.

Now, as far as the later Pratchett books go, there's a lot that I like about them, even while I agree that his best stuff came before them. I sincerely believe they're worth reading. Even if they aren't as polished as the rest of the series, the hearts of the characters still feel like they're there to me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Megazver posted:

There is a little to gain when the 'bad books' are also the denouement and the goodbye to the beloved characters of a forty-something book series, most of which you've already read.

I'd rather remember them as they were in their prime. Every book ends satisfactorily, and one last which goes down a checklist for the series as a whole seemed... perfunctory. Especially as they don't actually seem like themselves.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe its just me but reading the later books didn't somehow cancel out the characters at their best in early works.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I can't listen to audiobooks because it would overwrite my mental voices of characters.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The last full novels aren't horrible, but I feel they lack the sparkling wit that Terry's best books had. The couple of YA ones that I read were better because they were more serious stories with lighthearted bits than comic novels. The ones I like to reread are all published before the early 2000s.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

But night watch was published in 2002?:confused:

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Same. I'm not ready to say goodbye.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Alaemon posted:

Same. I'm not ready to say goodbye.

Yep. I have not touched the last 3. Just can’t bring myself to do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

*polite noncommittal grunt*

Now that I've actually slept I think my point was that dictating a novel without editing is a valid way of writing but evidence points to it not being ideal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Now that I've actually slept I think my point was that dictating a novel without editing is a valid way of writing but evidence points to it not being ideal.

Well of course. Especially for an author who repeatedly expressed that his writing method was a fast first draft then multiple iterations on it to polish it and touch up the jokes and voice.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Hot take: Night Watch is incredible and one of Pterry's best, but I don't think it's his best. Honestly, if I had to pick, maybe Small Gods? I really adore Small Gods.

Thud! was also early 2000s wasn't it?

One thing I'm curious about, and I suppose it speaks to the unpredictable nature of the creative process, is how despite the fact there were some books like Raising Taxes or Scouting For Trolls plus I think a third that he had talked about planning for for some time, that those were actually ones we never got, while stuff like Snuff which was never even really kind of alluded to (other than early mentions of Goblins when Discworld was more medieval than the sort of renaissance/early modern analogue* it became). Raising Steam was definitely foreshadowed a bit though, the Undertaking and all that.

*I find it funny that when you think about it, the fantasy setting in popular culture that's probably closest in setting to Discworld since Discworld stopped being a parody of generic medieval fantasy is probably Warhammer Fantasy, of all things.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

*I find it funny that when you think about it, the fantasy setting in popular culture that's probably closest in setting to Discworld since Discworld stopped being a parody of generic medieval fantasy is probably Warhammer Fantasy, of all things.

Discworld is a good setting though

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

thetoughestbean posted:

Discworld is a good setting though

Don't speak ill of the dead.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No, it's a good setting if you approach it right. I recommend Night10194's reviews of WHFRP here:
https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/

with Knights of the Grail a very good starting spot.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fair enough, and also Thief of Time which is still my first and favourite.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jaguars! posted:

:yeah:

Thief of Time and Night Watch are probably his two finest.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Honestly my favorites are probably the City Watch trilogy since those were the first ones I read since my dad had the omnibus.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Jaguars! posted:

Yeah those two and small gods are my favourite too.and jingo.carpe jugulum is probably the funniest.and Mort.and going postal.

crap.

I'll say this about night watch; I read it right after reading Roberto Bolano's 2666, which is a legit Masterpiece of Literature and there is usually a refractory period after reading something like that , and even then I was blown away.night watch is really good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SirSamVimes posted:

:yeah:

Thief of Time and Night Watch are probably his two finest.

I love how they tie together.

It's about time for a full series reread, but last time I got hung up sometime before then.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah those two and small gods are my favourite too.and jingo.carpe jugulum is probably the funniest.and Mort.and going postal.

crap.

I'll say this about night watch; I read it right after reading Roberto Bolano's 2666, which is a legit Masterpiece of Literature and there is usually a refractory period after reading something like that , and even then I was blown away.night watch is really good.

You’re not so stupid, for all that you wear a funny hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colour of Magic is the best one.