Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

This is loving incredible.

Also, the transgender character in Dominic Deegan was the closest Mookie ever came to handling a social issue "ok." Obviously not perfect but it could have been much worse.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Little Death posted:

Yeah, here's where the writing and art are at odds again. These comics are essentially like a video game setup, elemental themed planets with simple puzzles and on the nose morality just waiting for the PC. But the art in service of this plot is way above what's necessary. It's sort of a bumber these awesome fish people just exist to be the Zoras to Danica's offbrand Link and Mitch's offbrand Navi.

Also, looked ahead on a hunch:

Definitely belted these all out last weekend.

he seriously just walked until he tripped over the plot dick first

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
lmfao he really pulled a full dumbledore

gotta hand it to him, didn't see that coming

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I did see that coming.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
after seeing his idea of gay rep in og deegan I thought he'd just double down on that level of subtlety and tact instead

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

every character in fiction is trans until proven otherwise

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
every character in my comic without an explicit gender identity assigned at birth is whatever suits me best
every character in my comic without an explicit sexual orientation is whatever you want
every character in my comic without an explicit religion is your religion
every character in my comic without an explicit x is your y

wow my comic is so progressive, by providing no actual backstory or context, my one-off characters can check every box

gently caress off mookie, either actually support your minority characters in the narrative or you're rubbing shoulders with JKR (but only in the bad ways)

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 6, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Elysiume posted:

gently caress off mookie, either actually support your minority characters in the narrative or you're rubbing shoulders with JKR (but only in the bad ways)

Please let Mookie go psycho radfem in Legacy. It'd make things interesting at least.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kavak posted:

Please let Mookie go psycho radfem in Legacy. It'd make things interesting at least.

There's very little chance of that, thankfully. For all his writing faults his politics seem good. I'm going to stay away from Twitter and the Star Power blog for the most part and focus just on the comic though.

Oh and I believe there is a major non-binary character later in the series that is much better representation, but I'll get into that when it comes up.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 6, 2020

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

lol that's just loving ink magic rope around the house isn't it. This is what, 8 pages between "oh no I have no idea where my friends are" and "I finally found my friends"? Fewer?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's very little chance of that, thankfully. For all his writing faults his politics seem good. I'm going to stay away from Twitter and the Star Power blog for the most part and focus just on the comic though.

I think Mookie's politics are very much in the "well-intentioned but extremely naive" space. I"m thinking in particular of something that will come up in the most recent issue of starpower involving the history of the purple stick people who are all criminals (but curiously are not described as inherently violent the way humans are by those little blub descriptions).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how the fish people apparently knew all about the Green Lanterns but decided not to tell the rest of their confederation anything until now

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

I like how the fish people apparently knew all about the Green Lanterns but decided not to tell the rest of their confederation anything until now
There's also the question of why the Zel Gux are even part of the Star Sentinel story given that they were explicitly created by the evil blue gumby people.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Little Death posted:

I think Mookie's politics are very much in the "well-intentioned but extremely naive" space. I"m thinking in particular of something that will come up in the most recent issue of starpower involving the history of the purple stick people who are all criminals (but curiously are not described as inherently violent the way humans are by those little blub descriptions).

He also has a lot of internalized baggage and looks at a lot of things through jock vs nerd or madonna/whore complexes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Lmao the first trans character flew completely past his notice and Mookie didn’t go “Hmm well that representation seems inadequate...” and smug-rear end Garth is just like “heh, you didn’t notice? Not heavy-handed enough for you? :smug:” Am I to believe he didn’t say SJWs once during this conversation? Whatta team. Wow. Finally, an artist smart enough to create rep that’ll satisfy the white guys and a writer strong enough to tell me slavery is wrong.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zerilan posted:

He also has a lot of internalized baggage and looks at a lot of things through jock vs nerd or madonna/whore complexes.

It's funny because I usually try to avoid armchair diagnosing people on the internet, but with Mookie it happens with every female character. Hell, the ink witch literally has an evil doppleganger who's big difference is that she shows more cleavage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

There's also the question of why the Zel Gux are even part of the Star Sentinel story given that they were explicitly created by the evil blue gumby people.

That does get explained soon, both in the comic and in Mookie's post comic history thingies, it's not too complicated. I've read ahead, so generally if there's something stupid coming up I'll put a pin in it. Not that I don't miss things, of course.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You know what I like the least about Star Power? The fact that the art is competent and varied and there's more than one face or build or skin tone which means I have to loving remember who is who based on more than one distinguishing feature, and because I have to pay attention to the art there goes all my "give a poo poo" to actually read the writing. Like. I'm here for the stupid writing, right, but the art actively detracts from the Mookie Writing Experience because the art isn't lorem ipsum anime face.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Working with an artist has also apparently turned off the part of his brain that understands how many words you can and should cram into a single page. It's unfortunate since under this mountain of text is something actually entertaining. Maybe not in the way he intended, but still.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hostile V posted:

You know what I like the least about Star Power? The fact that the art is competent and varied and there's more than one face or build or skin tone which means I have to loving remember who is who based on more than one distinguishing feature, and because I have to pay attention to the art there goes all my "give a poo poo" to actually read the writing. Like. I'm here for the stupid writing, right, but the art actively detracts from the Mookie Writing Experience because the art isn't lorem ipsum anime face.

:yeah: Though sometimes I look at the weird rear end facial expressions.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright rear end holders, hold onto your asses. It’s time for another issue.

Chapter 3.3

It’s because… Eh, you know by this point.

At this point they’re on their way to another planet the key map led them to, and Danica + Mitch have a talk about their circumstances.

This exchange being repeated is a little thing, but little things annoy me. It’s not clever, it just makes your characters, even minor ones, feel artificial.

I’m gonna skip ahead to the bio for these guys real quick.

The joke is that they love selfies. It is not a good joke.

The void angels are on the planet too, and we get the sense that Soontoberedeemed Friendlyface is traumatized by his first encounter with Danica. (It’s also a convenient way to not have to draw half a page.)

Danica has a new, never before referenced character trait: doesn’t like crowds.

What, like astronomers are the only people who like open spaces? Sheesh.

Anyway they find another thing that looks like Mitch, which gives Asari Girl another chance to be annoying.

They have to solve a riddle. (Yeah it’s pretty much the Moria door.)

And FINALLY, they respect that Asari Girl might actually know more about this than they do. Danica’s Ugh here seems to be more about being annoyed by astrology than Asari Girl, which is pretty weird given the context – modern astrology is a hoax, sure, but ancient astrology is pretty well intertwined with ancient astronomy, so that’s a weird stance for an astronomer to take. (Sorry, my pedantic side coming out.)

Dancing helps her concentrate. Sure, ok, it’s kinda hokey, but I’ll buy it.

I’m still really hoping it’s that Beena (gonna actually use her name because it’s getting confusing) has a crush on Danica.

Wow you both are loving assholes.

“Wasn’t what it looked like.” “I was only laughing at the silly voices.” Nice job waffling the apology until you’re forced to.

Notice in the previous image she really does say “Stop with the funny voices” so that her excuse has a kernel of truth in it. That strikes me as really disingenuous writing. Let her just be an rear end in a top hat instead of giving her an out. (At least she does eventually unconditionally apologize.)

Anyway, Danica makes up for it by helping Beena dance in the sky. This would be a great moment for that crush to be revealed…!

But nah, doesn’t happen. I guess it’s just my head canon. drat, that would actually be interesting, but we can’t have nice things.

Anyway, Beena does in fact figure out the riddle.

You should have known…? That’s she’d want to celebrate at a bar? Is it torture to watch your friend enjoy herself dancing while you get to drink and unwind with friends? Does Mookie, therefore also Danica, just hate bars?

The selfie race takes more selfies because selfies are their trait.

Danica bumps into – oh. Oh no. Oh no no no no no.

HE’S her love interest, isn’t he.

I’m not mad, I’m just… Disappointed.

Anyway, they take Danica prisoner and say one of the no-no words.

Actually a smart plan! Seems like he’s thought this through!

Let’s have a quick preview from next issue:

oh

Anyway, now to Blue Badlady’s sections.

Not really anything earth shattering. Freedom = anarchy, the star power was stolen by the rebels, etc. etc. It’s mostly just to set up the next 2 issues.

Issue ends with more Zel Gux history.

Overall, kind of a mundane issue. Nothing made me really mad. Don’t worry, the next two are way dumber.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 24, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, why does everyone know who the Zel Gux were now, I thought that whole region of space the Green Lanterns and the Blue Gumbies and them came from was stuff no one had been to before or had any contact with?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, why does everyone know who the Zel Gux were now, I thought that whole region of space the Green Lanterns and the Blue Gumbies and them came from was stuff no one had been to before or had any contact with?

I think it goes like this:

- Scitillians (or how ever it's spelled, it's the Blue Lady's race) conquer and subjugate galaxy
- They create the Star Power
- A group of rebels (the Zel Gux) steal it and fight back and drive the Scitillians away, into timeless space
- The Zel Gux, aided by the Star Power, spread knowledge and learning throughout the galaxy, leading to a new golden age and the rise of the galactic Empire. The planets the crew is visiting are among the first they go to and establish city-palaces.
- Thousands of years pass, and the Scitillians occaisionally pop out of timeless space and are driven back by the Empire and the Star Powered Sentinels
- Zel Gux eventually die out and the Empire crumbles
- Their city-palaces are discovered by the modern day Federation, who studies them and learns a lot from them, but their greatest secrets are locked away unless you have the Star Power

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 7, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

why not just call them star sentinels? I looked it up, the only big two superhero called that is some side character in whatever the hell DC universe online is

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Y'now I don't really get what you can do with a villain who's both physically and mentally weaker than the hero. The blue lady can't beat Danica in a fight or go two seconds without her own philosophy being instantly proven wrong by Danica. Can't even weasel her way outta prison cause all her lines are straight out of the cartoon villain handbook.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ohhhh you're gonna like this arc's conclusion I bet

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think it goes like this:

- Scitillians (or how ever it's spelled, it's the Blue Lady's race) conquer and subjugate galaxy
- They create the Star Power
- A group of rebels (the Zel Gux) steal it and fight back and drive the Scitillians away, into timeless space
- The Zel Gux, aided by the Star Power, spread knowledge and learning throughout the galaxy, leading to a new golden age and the rise of the galactic Empire. The planets the crew is visiting are among the first they go to and establish city-palaces.
- Thousands of years pass, and the Scitillians occaisionally pop out of timeless space and are driven back by the Empire and the Star Powered Sentinels
- Zel Gux eventually die out and the Empire crumbles
- Their city-palaces are discovered by the modern day Federation, who studies them and learns a lot from them, but their greatest secrets are locked away unless you have the Star Power

Then why did no one at the base know what a Sentinel was? You’d think they’d be as common knowledge as the Zel Gux, but they didn’t even know how big the empire was.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:shrug:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
You know, as stupid as Mookie's "Species has X gimmick!" thing is, in the context of the world he's built he's had his heroes just casually make a bunch of racist jokes about someone who's supposed to be their friend. He literally wrote down "ficklefeet" as one of the slurs used against the Not-Asari, and listed their love of dancing as a reason the word is used. Mocking her affinity for dance and her "twinkly-toes" is no different from any of that.

It just really makes me wonder if Mookie even understands that racism is more than just saying one of three forbidden words. I'm very reluctant to actually equate anything in Star Power to real-world racism (aside from the part where he uses, y'know, an actual loving slur in the human section, but it doesn't occur to him he did so because he's thinking solely from a white perspective). But I am saying that, within the confines of the worldbuilding he's done, Danica and Grex (who's already previously used a Forbidden Word) are loving assholes.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 7, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kavak posted:

Like the Sinfest guy?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Like the Sinfest guy?

Yeah, and ideally it should be as fast and as inexplicable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You should have known…? That’s she’d want to celebrate at a bar? Is it torture to watch your friend enjoy herself dancing while you get to drink and unwind with friends? Does Mookie, therefore also Danica, just hate bars?

Mookie's a huge beer snob who hates people that drink for the sake of getting drunk, so yes.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
god, what boring aliens

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Zerilan posted:

people that drink for the sake of getting drunk

You know, jocks.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zerilan posted:

Mookie's a huge beer snob who hates people that drink for the sake of getting drunk, so yes.

Just push everything mentally into high school politics; drinking and going to bars is what the JOCKS do to pretend they're old and mature. A true nerd knows that that's not good for you and that you shouldn't do it!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

MiracleFlare posted:

It just really makes me wonder if Mookie even understands that racism is more than just saying one of three forbidden words. I'm very reluctant to actually equate anything in Star Power to real-world racism (aside from the part where he uses, y'know, an actual loving slur in the human section, but it doesn't occur to him he did so because he's thinking solely from a white perspective). But I am saying that, within the confines of the worldbuilding he's done, Danica and Grex (who's already previously used a Forbidden Word) are loving assholes.

I know you're being like, facetious to make the example, but you've hit it on the head. That is what Mookie literally believes. Look back to the original Dominic Deegan, Dominic or any of the good guys could be as racist as they wanted to the orcs, but as long as they didn't call them piggarts, they were not Actually Racist, like Siegfried.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Not to mention that time he decided the best time to reveal Bumper (who was a thief) was black was when he was mindcontrolled and about to assault Luna, and then also that panel of him stuffing fried chicken into his mouth like an animal, and also how Bumper was, IIRC anyway, like the only casualty of The Beast that wasn't a one-off side character.

I guess that's not in the text though. But still, says a lot about what he thinks racism is.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 7, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, it still definitely counts, and was textual. The reason Luna's sister targeted Bumper for mind control in the first place instead of someone else, like Stunt or Greg to have him rape Luna is because he was an Illaryian, who everyone thinks are criminals and rapists anyway, so...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't think there's anything QUITE as bad as that in this comic, especially since it's all alien races, and they all tend to get along (unless you are a Bad Guy). But the next arc does get into some issues of prejudice, and... Well, I don't really want to get into it yet, because I want to see everyone's reaction organically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I can't claim to know much about Mookie's working relationship with the man who draws this comic because before you started posting I'd essentially never given Star Power much thought, but I think that having to actually send scripts to another human person might instill something akin to shame or self awareness in Mookie and hold him back ever so slightly from his Mookiest tendencies versus when he works on the comic alone. e.g. I don't think there has been any sexual violence in Star Power so far. Don't tell me if I'm wrong, i want to face the next issue bare-brained, so your experiment can continue undisturbed.