Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Evil Bob posted:

Fans of Circle Takes The Square ITT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtmQKOOZnlM

This CD was on repeat non stop when it came out in junior year and into the future. I consider this album and Decompositions legendary.

15 years of listening to it and As The Roots Undo is still my number one album. I have one tattoo and it's a CTTS one.

I've never been able to see them live but it's my dream.

When I bought the vinyls for ATRU and Decompositions from their store, I got a little post it note thank you from the bassist :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you don't randomly find yourself whistling the tune from Intro on As The Roots Undo, are you really a skramz kid?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CTTS remains one of the few skramz records ill still put on. Huge album

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

RubberLuffy posted:

15 years of listening to it and As The Roots Undo is still my number one album. I have one tattoo and it's a CTTS one.

I've never been able to see them live but it's my dream.

When I bought the vinyls for ATRU and Decompositions from their store, I got a little post it note thank you from the bassist :3

Never seen them live either. The Thank you note was a nice touch =P

Inspector_666 posted:

If you don't randomly find yourself whistling the tune from Intro on As The Roots Undo, are you really a skramz kid?

albany academy posted:

CTTS remains one of the few skramz records ill still put on. Huge album

It's funny because I never was into screamo, and infact thought it was bullshit when I was a young punk. I still don't really consider ATRU and Decompositions to be "skramz" but I understand that everyone else does.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s all nebulous and often just a matter of opinion. I would consider this to be skramz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwhge0XFtVw

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

It’s all nebulous and often just a matter of opinion. I would consider this to be skramz.

Emoviolence :troll:

Evil Bob posted:

It's funny because I never was into screamo, and infact thought it was bullshit when I was a young punk. I still don't really consider ATRU and Decompositions to be "skramz" but I understand that everyone else does.

Its kind of a regional thing. Skramz was the buzzword in toronto for a few years around 2011. Lots of skramz bands, no screamo bands.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I always thought of skramz as more of a joke term back from like 2003-2005 to discern between “real emo” and untrve emo imposters of the era, but is now used half seriously to describe more extreme or experimental emo bands. Emoviolence is definitely a thing, too, and now we have crazy black metal with emo influences like Bosse-de-Nage.

If I had to define it, Mohinder is skramz and Portraits of Past is emo.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

the joke stayed too long. and yeah, those are both accurate imo

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Skramz was not a term I ran into on the west coast until probably 5-6 years ago. But like I said it wasn’t my scene anyway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Never heard this word in my entire life and I feel like the NJ/NY area where im from is one of the cultural bulwarks for that scene in the US.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i would never have thought nj/ny was culturally important to screamo. the only band i can think of from there that i know of is saetia? everthing else is california, massachussetts and then there's some other states where good bands came from, but thats it afaik. not including canada - toronto had a *lot* of emo/skramz stuff going on, still does, and there were a bunch of bands from calgary doing it to. not sure about anything more eastward or westward than those two scenes. the kind of emo that was popular in my hometown was not the good kind.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

About to give this a listen, lets see if it breaks through the skramz barrier for me.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

listen to this one first and *then* listen do duck down for the torso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cup9zJeBFbU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Evil Bob posted:

About to give this a listen, lets see if it breaks through the skramz barrier for me.

Ok I can hang with this. Back in my teen years I wouldn't have even considered this as, or known this was "Screamo" unless someone told me probably. What even really defines screamo? It's a subgenre that I have devoted little thought to.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
dont ü want to skramz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUXYKeIN_gE

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Evil Bob posted:

Ok I can hang with this. Back in my teen years I wouldn't have even considered this as, or known this was "Screamo" unless someone told me probably. What even really defines screamo? It's a subgenre that I have devoted little thought to.

I'm totally inarticulate which is why I listen to emo in the first place. I’m also by no means an expert so if anyone wants to hop in and disagree with me go ahead!

First and foremost you should listen to Rites of Spring. This is the basis for what is or is not emo IMO. Embrace is important as well.

Fast forward 10 years and you have bands like Indian Summer, Portraits of Past, Mohinder, Swing Kids, and Braid. Indian Summer and Portraits of Past are the defining "screamo" bands but I honestly hate that term and would just call those bands emo. Much more drawn out and dynamic, introspective, intense and moody.

Mohinder was around at the same time and in the same area, but way more hardcore and chaotic. Songs are short and equally intense, but in a different way. Lyrics aren’t as personal, from what I can tell.

Swing Kids maybe you already know? Justin Pearson from the Locust was in it. That’s actually why I brought them up. I’m not sure if they were super influential or not. Also they were from San Diego which is another scene center. See: Gravity Records. Much more like Mohinder than Indian Summer. Moss Icon is also huge but, like CTTS, I just can’t get into it. I think they’re from SD as well?

Braid was also around at the same time but I think from a Michigan. Maybe definitely from the mid west. They are also emo IMO but completely different from those other bands at the same time. Kind of soft and mathy but has hardcore roots. They probably listened to a lot of Fugazi and Polvo. I think this is what really muddies the waters with what is emo. Are Sunny Day Real Estate or Saves the Day emo? I’m not so sure.

After that you have stuff like Orchid and Combatwoundedveteran which take the chaotic hardcore of Mohinder to the extreme, hence the “emoviolence” label.

I think most emo bands would fall into one of those four broad categories.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

I'm totally inarticulate which is why I listen to emo in the first place. I’m also by no means an expert so if anyone wants to hop in and disagree with me go ahead!

First and foremost you should listen to Rites of Spring. This is the basis for what is or is not emo IMO. Embrace is important as well.

Fast forward 10 years and you have bands like Indian Summer, Portraits of Past, Mohinder, Swing Kids, and Braid. Indian Summer and Portraits of Past are the defining "screamo" bands but I honestly hate that term and would just call those bands emo. Much more drawn out and dynamic, introspective, intense and moody.

Mohinder was around at the same time and in the same area, but way more hardcore and chaotic. Songs are short and equally intense, but in a different way. Lyrics aren’t as personal, from what I can tell.

Swing Kids maybe you already know? Justin Pearson from the Locust was in it. That’s actually why I brought them up. I’m not sure if they were super influential or not. Also they were from San Diego which is another scene center. See: Gravity Records. Much more like Mohinder than Indian Summer. Moss Icon is also huge but, like CTTS, I just can’t get into it. I think they’re from SD as well?

Braid was also around at the same time but I think from a Michigan. Maybe definitely from the mid west. They are also emo IMO but completely different from those other bands at the same time. Kind of soft and mathy but has hardcore roots. They probably listened to a lot of Fugazi and Polvo. I think this is what really muddies the waters with what is emo. Are Sunny Day Real Estate or Saves the Day emo? I’m not so sure.

After that you have stuff like Orchid and Combatwoundedveteran which take the chaotic hardcore of Mohinder to the extreme, hence the “emoviolence” label.

I think most emo bands would fall into one of those four broad categories.

Encyclopedic. Thanks.

I’ve never listened to Rites of Spring, but of course have listened to Embrace. I’ll give Rites of Spring a listen tomorrow while I work and do some other listening of those bands mentioned for knowledge if nothing else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm fairly sure that Fugazi themselves were labeled emo, initially. I remember a Guy Picciotto quote deriding the
term, asking "What were the Bad Brains or the Beatles, robots?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Emo Phillips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdh0Qm_5A0

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm fairly sure that Fugazi themselves were labeled emo, initially. I remember a Guy Picciotto quote deriding the
term, asking "What were the Bad Brains or the Beatles, robots?"

I think this gets to the core of my misunderstanding of emo. When I was younger I never considered the hardcore derived non commercial stuff emo, or at least ever made the connection because I felt emotion in everything I was listening to. That doesn't mean I was versed in that scene, but it just never occured to me. To me those days emo was the scene kids buying music that sounded like pop punk with the whiniest vocals I had ever heard. I don't even remember who those bands were.

A Lifelong Misunderstanding of Emo: The Evil Bob Story.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
if cwv are skramz so are reversal of man and the mighty palatka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJpYLk-znA

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Listen to lots of Unwound today :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember being in High School talking about music and going “what does that even mean? All music is emotional, that doesn’t make any sense!”

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Parachute posted:

if cwv are skramz so are reversal of man and the mighty palatka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJpYLk-znA

Yes and yes

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There's a new blink song. Faster stuff. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5Sk5x24cs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All of the post-Skiba Blink has really grown on me and I’m really glad they found a way to fuse their sounds into good new music.

The first record was rough

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never thought 2010s Blink would end up evolving into 1990s Pennywise, but hey.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never thought 2010s Blink would end up evolving into 1990s Pennywise, but hey.

Haha, holy poo poo, that guitar tone when it comes in, that is loving it.

Bad Religion did a rerecord of Faith Alone that...the production ain't great on. But good song for now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4lcvTLwsc

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just discovered the 2015 Rancid tribute album Hooligans United and it rules. There are some really loving good covers on there, included several in Spanish. And of course a Manic Hispanic parody. Would highly recommend if you’re nostalgic about Rancid but don’t actually want to listen to Rancid.

https://youtu.be/8SHCz3ZYivI

However I will say that I listened to the cover of Motorcycle Ride and was confused as to why they were singing the lyrics to Time Bomb. It turns out the lyrics “If you want to make a move then you better come in/it’s just ability to reason that wears so thin/living and dying and the stories that are true/secret to a good life, knowing when you’re through” originally appeared in Motorcycle Ride and they just copied it word for word into Time Bomb. Tim’s vocals on Motorcycle Ride are completely incomprehensible which is why I never noticed before. I don’t know what’s real any more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fun to hear Interrupters do a Rancid track given she emulates the vocal style anyway, nice find. And that's the most Tim story there is for sure. I still like watching old German TV live sets where Tim is just absolutely unsure what loving song he should be playing, it wasn't until those videos I realised just how much of the legwork Lars did in the band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1294310275043094528?s=21

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Duckbutter

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Marking out over here.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I am now a believer in PUP

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

RubberLuffy posted:

I am now a believer in PUP

It took me until last spring. In 2015 a friend told me about pup, but we were kinda on the outs at that point and When I gave it a listen it felt too poppy for me and we weren’t hanging out enough for me to hear it around regularly.

Flash forward to last spring and I give pup a listen one day and I’ve been pretty obsessed since. The Dream is Over is my easy favorite but really each album has had a lot to love.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Bloody Mary, Kate, and Ashley is so good. I can't really think of a bad song on any of their albums. "I need closure!" kind of makes me cringe a bit but it's all solid.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

caleb posted:

Bloody Mary, Kate, and Ashley is so good. I can't really think of a bad song on any of their albums.

It's funny you say that because that song is the only one on that album I don't love.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

It’s taken morbid things a long time to grow on me. In the end Its all just so drat good that it’s hard not to like, but it feels a little cheesy for me at times

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's funny you say that because that song is the only one on that album I don't love.

It's a pretty solid interpretation of a bad acid trip. Steve's lead playing reinforces it and kind of narrates the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I wish my lawn was EMO so:

1) It would listen to American Football with me
2) It would cut itself

Hah nothing like a little post punk humor to lighten up the evening