Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kecske posted:

does anyone have some kind of 101 primer for how to play dungeons and dragons, I've been invited to a game on saturday and I've never played before and I dont want nerds to tut and sigh at my goblin faux pas

have opinions on things, try things rather than milling around in analysis paralysis, and be clear about what you want to do/achieve. do not be a dickhead "because it's what my character would do", and do not act exactly the same as a 21st century goon would.

if you can handle that, the only other important thing is

goatface posted:

Read the room, don't feel like you have to impress anybody with sparkling wit and mastermind solutions. If it's not fun, don't assume the problem is you.

e:

new poster. also yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

but im new

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i've always wanted to do some d&d or something similar, the roll20 website seems cool, but trying to coordinate my friends to actually regularly play is a pain. Mostly because we're all busy, but also because they don't exist.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I had a massive burnout from tabletop&video games like 10 years ago and barely had any time to play if I wanted to do so for the last 5 but pre-Covid there was some active tabletop D&D communities in London. I might go back to DM'ing Forgotten Realms once the fluff settles down.

I was walking in Brighton around Christmas and walked in to a Games Workshop store and the store guy came to me "Hello, do you want to learn about our lord and saviour Leman Russ?" and I was like "Step back, peasant! I was rolling D6 before you crawled from the primordial soup :smuggo:".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Used to play tons of dnd I'm high school but now I have no friends and no free time so it's unlikely I'll ever get to play again.

Anyway the most important thing about dnd is to make a character with a stupid gimmick like name him Max Power or something or make a bard that only sings 80s power ballads. Make a mix tape to play when you sing in battle

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

i've always wanted to do some d&d or something similar, the roll20 website seems cool, but trying to coordinate my friends to actually regularly play is a pain. Mostly because we're all busy, but also because they don't exist.

we are attempting arr pee gees in the discord. hushcakes did a session of Honey Heist on tuesday with what appears to be considerable success; the group i was supposed to run are extremely disinterested and unable to self-coordinate, so did not.

once things settle down a bit at work, or once my current remote d&d campaign dies through idiocy, i will probably look to start an ongoing thing. for now, one-shots are the goal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

does anyone have some kind of 101 primer for how to play dungeons and dragons, I've been invited to a game on saturday and I've never played before and I dont want nerds to tut and sigh at my goblin faux pas
if they are worth playing with again they will help you learn the rules and patiently explain things

the basic rule is that for every action you want to do, the dm, or one of the rulebooks they have read will set a number between 5 and 20 for how difficult that task is. you then roll a 20 sided dice and add any bonuses you get for being good at stuff, and if the result is higher than the difficulty, you do the thing

for example, if you want to stab a dude, you roll a d20 and add your strength. if the result is better than the dudes armour, you stab him. then you roll dice to see how much damage you do based on whatever weapon you were using

if you want to lie to a guard, you roll a d20 and add your charisma bonus, then see if the result is higher than their intelligence (or charisma, it depends on the situation

d&d has been adapted over the years to put most of the strain of knowing the rules onto the dm. even tools like d&d beyond do a lot of the work for players in terms of working everything out

honestly the biggest difficulty is when you have a group where some people want to roleplay like 'ho traveller! whom'st art thine?' and other people just want to be more like 'i hit the gobling with a axe' (the former is probably more fun when everyone is into it though)

oh one last thing, find out if they have made up a character for you or if they are expecting you to do it

Party Boat posted:

Ask the DM for the full name of every person you meet, they love when you do that
:colbert:

Ratjaculation posted:

yeah i looked at the d&d list on the discord, everybody wants to play but nobody wants to dm. i have a ton of books though so should probably dm, i just have so much other poo poo to do right now

i just ran a campaign for some old uni friends that i think went well, i even did funny voices for the villagers

there is also 'all flesh must be eaten' which is fun and fairly simple

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

we are attempting arr pee gees in the discord. hushcakes did a session of Honey Heist on tuesday with what appears to be considerable success; the group i was supposed to run are extremely disinterested and unable to self-coordinate, so did not.
the same guy who did honey heist also did 'jason stathams big vacation' and that sounds like suitably stupid fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the same guy who did honey heist also did 'jason stathams big vacation' and that sounds like suitably stupid fun

holy poo poo this is incredible

Bobby Deluxe posted:

yeah i looked at the d&d list on the discord, everybody wants to play but nobody wants to dm. i have a ton of books though so should probably dm, i just have so much other poo poo to do right now

i just ran a campaign for some old uni friends that i think went well, i even did funny voices for the villagers

there is also 'all flesh must be eaten' which is fun and fairly simple

most of the interested parties on there are "oh i know nothing about it but would like to try". relatively few actual seasoned players indicated any interest, and i think for kicking off a campaign you want a mix of old and new.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to DM but I don't like to plan. I liked players who were happy to worldbuild as we went along and would make bold statements of fact when they succeeded in knowledge checks and I had nothing in mind for the subject.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

a month ago we had 500 daily coronavirus cases and now we're on 950

Yeah, I've been looking at that, the scientists also reckon that the r-rate's below 1 across most of England, so I dunno if cases are actually going up, or they're just getting better at testing :shrug:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

holy poo poo this is incredible
https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/988334788573622272?s=19

goatface posted:

I used to DM but I don't like to plan. I liked players who were happy to worldbuild as we went along and would make bold statements of fact when they succeeded in knowledge checks and I had nothing in mind for the subject.
i am a fan of chaotic storytelling and love this! i did read a long time ago of a group where every time a player rolled a 20 they got to swap with the dm

e: https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1091235410162921472?s=19

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 6, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

During one of the sessions I ran, everyone including my tie-in NPC talked about politics of Forgotten Realms post-Time of Troubles and it was one of the most awesome and cringeworthy nerd experiences I've ever had at the same time.

I'm poo poo at online games but probably DM once COVID is over (god knows when at this point)

Speaking of, kendo is opening back on the 1st of Sept with full transparent face masks which sounds painful. I'm dying to go back but I think that's a pass from me until next year. Argos going to deliver the dumbbell and bench set next week so I hope I can continue the changes and those don't become steel monuments of another failed fitness goal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dungeons and braggin

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

dungeons and braggin

What a nerd.

Oh yes, them 3.5 Ed Hardcovers :getin: Is that a Birthright book on the left?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

that is a 2nd ed greyhawk book i got from my uncle

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I sold all my old 3rd edition stuff to a nerd shop when I was cleaning out my dads basement and got a decent chunk of change for it all

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
I've got some limited experience of DnD but I found in the game I DM'd with a group of new players that their characters were all the same flavour of johnny fiveaces cool dude silent badass. Maybe that's a newbie thing to avoid? Everyone decided to change by the second session.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i only have one Silent Cool Person who seems to go out of her way to avoid conflict or engage with anything plotwise, which from a group of four newbies is pretty good

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh, neat.

Greyhawk saw some resurgence during the transition days of AD&D to 3rd Edition and actually had pretty cool books including Scarlet Brotherhood book, which had OP as gently caress Scarlet Brotherhood monks (which will be imported to 3rd Edition as a base class later) and assassin kits. My friends hobby shop got closed and he gave me like a dozen of Greyhawk books for free so I used read them every now and then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I once wrote a chunk of a pbtA hack that was basically "Entourage: the game'. You had a star, played by the DM, and everyone else was one of their hangers on, desperate to keep them happy so that they would continue splashing the cash. I think my opening adventure was something like:
"Your film star friend has recorded an album of terrible country-pop music that was canned before release. Rumor is that an unknown music blogger has acquired a copy and is going to play it at a party during the film festival your friend is attending to push their latest release. Their current lover is trying to break up with them in the most destructive way possible and plans to do it on the red carpet at the festival showing. You also need to find LOTS of coke. Save their reputation."

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Party Boat posted:

how is your beard / hair situation op

my beard and hair are the same length.

thanks all for the pointers. the guy running it hasn't said I need to bring anything so I'm hoping theyll hold my hand and not immediately shoot me full of arrows or turn me into a skeleton.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they do you just play a drat good skeleton. The most cheerful boy to ever be released from the burden of skin and organs.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I crave to read some physical D&D books rn, thanks UK thread :mad:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That's cool, every group needs a bald nerd

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've been tempted at times to see what I can get for my old 3.5 books but it would need to be a fair bit to get me to part with them

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Party Boat posted:

That's cool, every group needs a bald nerd

:mad: I'm still holding out against a rapidly expanding forehead

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

me and the civ 2 crew are coming round to give you all wedgies and wear the letter r off your keyboards

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My Monk had natty 20 dex so I make him ineffectively flip everywhere in battles, and he has no last name so keeps taking them from various feats he accomplishes each day.

Right now his name's Almen Blackarm because i punched an acid, previous Nicecloak, previous Rockfriend, previous Wolfpunch

Also someone needs to make a Catch Me If You Can rpg where the players have to misdirect the GM to what they're doing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played my first game of D&D a few weeks ago and our DM had a section where the map was Warehouse from Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and he made a graffiti game out of the battle system. It was really cool

Obviously we just ended up skating up to the opponents and cutting their heads off but still

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This thread was always just a long ploy to get the dnd nerds to all out themselves.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd probably quite enjoy dnd :(

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

kecske posted:

my beard and hair are the same length.

thanks all for the pointers. the guy running it hasn't said I need to bring anything so I'm hoping theyll hold my hand and not immediately shoot me full of arrows or turn me into a skeleton.

Bring food and drink.

Work out which method of hurting people your character will use the most, then make sure you have got the math for that down. And always roll your damage dice with your d20.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I cast Eldritch Blast.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

if you are going to be a warlock at least use the hentai spells

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We’re currently running a home brew our DM has put together, and we were in a cave being attacked by an invisible skeleton. But there was a scrying bowl that had a beam of light coming out that we had to use to search the room to find it.

I used prestigitation to make a prism and held that in the beam to act as a disco ball, and we didn’t have to waste any actions finding the sneaky skeleton.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Galewolf posted:

During one of the sessions I ran, everyone including my tie-in NPC talked about politics of Forgotten Realms post-Time of Troubles and it was one of the most awesome and cringeworthy nerd experiences I've ever had at the same time.

I'm poo poo at online games but probably DM once COVID is over (god knows when at this point)

Speaking of, kendo is opening back on the 1st of Sept with full transparent face masks which sounds painful. I'm dying to go back but I think that's a pass from me until next year. Argos going to deliver the dumbbell and bench set next week so I hope I can continue the changes and those don't become steel monuments of another failed fitness goal.

Dropping in to say that I got a set of resistance cables and I'm actually really impressed with them. Yesterday I had DOMS for the first time since the gyms closed, it was pretty great. They're dead cheap too, and you can hook up multiple cables to the handles to increase the resistance.

Just fyi for goons trying to maintain fitness in these trying times

Edit- Fitfort is the brand, cost about thirty quid

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Oodles posted:

I used prestigitation to make a prism and held that in the beam to act as a disco ball, and we didn’t have to waste any actions finding the sneaky skeleton.

see I dont think I'd be able to come up with this kind of ingenious solution

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i would like to do a bit more toning, but i feel like a week of 30° heat is not the time to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003