Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah they mentioned this in an interview. It’s hard to visualize what the Origami would need to look like and how they would fold and unfold without any physical reference so that’s what they did. It’s pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah it was the door on the right in the Lobby. If you talk to the Toad in front of said door they tell you it’s there.

they actually just say "the pipe" and do not specify that it's the 5th warp pipe, which I realized when I got to the 6th warp pipe and had not seen it, meaning I had to go all the way up that tower and through the beam of light a second time just to get to the warp pipe.

I am dumb

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Augus posted:

Yeah they mentioned this in an interview. It’s hard to visualize what the Origami would need to look like and how they would fold and unfold without any physical reference so that’s what they did. It’s pretty cool.

They must have one hell of an origami king on their team for them to have figured out how to fold tiny Olivia into an earth vellumental

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1289224051529904129

Holy poo poo.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I knew this was going to happen when I walked up to this telescope, and I still laughed out loud when the face showed up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC Murderverse posted:

they actually just say "the pipe" and do not specify that it's the 5th warp pipe, which I realized when I got to the 6th warp pipe and had not seen it, meaning I had to go all the way up that tower and through the beam of light a second time just to get to the warp pipe.

I am dumb

There's also a sensor lab with a fax machine near the main building

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I whacked the telescope without thinking and missed the visual gag :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm done with two streamers at this point and I'm feeling bogged down by non-boss combat. I'm hoping that enemies get a bit more distinctive later on in the game because there's not much difference between them aside from health totals and occasional immunity to either hammers or boots. I wish I had more attack options, or something to jazz this up because I feel like outside of boss fights this ring puzzle gimmick is not enough to carry one zone, let alone an entire game. It's slow, monotonous, and visually uninteresting, and it doesn't really make any sense to me in-universe. Maybe the problem is that I haven't played other PM games so I didn't know what I was getting into.

I think the writing and over-world game play and incredibly charming art direction will push me through to the end, but that combat sticks out like a sore thumb.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Riatsala posted:

I'm done with two streamers at this point and I'm feeling bogged down by non-boss combat. I'm hoping that enemies get a bit more distinctive later on in the game because there's not much difference between them aside from health totals and occasional immunity to either hammers or boots. I wish I had more attack options, or something to jazz this up because I feel like outside of boss fights this ring puzzle gimmick is not enough to carry one zone, let alone an entire game. It's slow, monotonous, and visually uninteresting, and it doesn't really make any sense to me in-universe. Maybe the problem is that I haven't played other PM games so I didn't know what I was getting into.

I think the writing and over-world game play and incredibly charming art direction will push me through to the end, but that combat sticks out like a sore thumb.
I often avoid unnecessary battles. It's usually not hard to stay out of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Riatsala posted:

I'm in the same boat. 2 worlds down and thinking the combat is awful. IMO, the game is a good combat system away from being an all time classic. With the combat it's fun to play for 30 mins at a time and take slowly while enjoying the visuals and the humor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The third and fourth streamers ramp up enemy variety that amps up the challenge a bit, as well as overworld elements that let you kill most interested without fighting, while the fifth streamer only has one section with any real amount of combat aside from the main boss dungeon, which has some very unique and interesting encounters

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
vague ending thoughts the music in this game is so stupidly excellent that the ending got me pretty bad regardless of how worn or pointless you can argue it as

I'm a sucker for the big montage of characters and places mario rpg endings anyway so I was screwed no matter what, and this one was really good about that

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 1, 2020

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I finished the game yesterday and overall it was really charming, but it felt pretty short. Not that they should have dragged it out, more like it was the same price as BOTW and Odyssey
I agree with a lot of complaints about the battles, it would have been nice to have some kind of reward or progression to it besides coins, breakable weapons + no indication of enemy hp or attack power ahead of time means I just use whatever looks strongest and hope for the best. Ultimately it didn't make it unplayable or anything, just awkward.
My only "I really hate this" moment was the final boss
It's basically a boss rush that punishes you for taking too long to solve, and you can't just brute force it, you need to get the intended solution within the time limit and execute it correctly, and you can easily die from messing up once or twice.
The bowser origami part was fine, but the final puzzle I had to look up the solution because I could not concentrate between having to dodge attacks constantly. (You need to slide the panels to match up the colors, and then rotate each ring once so that olivia is right side up)
The ending kind of sucked, not just for Olivia dying but the fact that it's one of those endings that you can't continue from. It just sucks to want to keep going and 100% it all, and have to go back to before the final boss, there's no getting to revisit places after you save the world.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Riatsala posted:

If you haven't already gotten it you should shortly unlock the option to show the battle answer (though not how to get to it) which helps a lot. I just keep that enabled and skip battles where possible, and if I can't skip or solve usually 100 coins will solve one move for you which is enough most of the time to get through the battles a fast as possible.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can someone help me with how to select useful items? I'm early in the game and need to unshrivel the seed, but I can only access a blank items menu and have no idea how to toggle to the useful items that the seed is listed as.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can someone help me with how to select useful items? I'm early in the game and need to unshrivel the seed, but I can only access a blank items menu and have no idea how to toggle to the useful items that the seed is listed as.

There is never a time where you need to select them. It always brings it up contextually when you interact with where it needs to be used.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
noticed this when checking out one of the collectibles lol

end of green streamer spoilers

trash game

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 1, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

There is never a time where you need to select them. It always brings it up contextually when you interact with where it needs to be used.
Thanks!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No! Bobby!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished it last night. Loved it. I can see why people are a little disappointed at the ending, I didn't expect Olivia wouldn't make it, that was a really sad beat for such a light-hearted game. I wish they'd done a little more to acknowledge her in the ending cutscenes, too, I really liked her character! Fun and naive without being too silly. I thought the actual ending sequence was pretty good though, it was serious without being too creepy, and brought all the different gameplay types together for the final boss.

As much as I enjoyed myself I can't give the game more than an 8.5, though, and it all comes back to the battle system. Everything else in this game was absolutely fantastic. The graphics are gorgeous, and the writing is amazing -- every single character has this fun sense of humor about them, and the plot takes you through such an interesting variety of locations. The world is just perfectly realized -- everyone you meet, everything you do has this cool sense of whimsy and magic about it, and the fact that everything is made of paper is brilliantly incorporated into all the things you see and do. But the fact that I just can't stand doing these horrible slidey block puzzles came close to killing it for me more than once. It's a shame, too, because they put a lot of effort into it and dreamed up a ton of different battle modes using the same slidey block mechanics... but I hate them all to varying degrees. It felt a lot like having an excellent meal where one of the ingredients is dirt, and you've just gotta eat the dirt in order to enjoy the rest of it.

The barebones RPG stuff was also a disappointment. I don't mind not leveling up, but there was basically no progression at all besides vague attack power bonuses once you'd found a few HP Ups, and the items were similarly half-baked -- I didn't care about finding new weapons because they would break, and I was really disappointed to find out the Accessories you find later in the game were just stronger versions of the ones you already had. They couldn't have done anything more interesting with them? There are a handful of swappable ones, I know, but none of them really affect gameplay very much, and it feels like their main function was to make me pay full price for items because I forgot to put the discount card accessory on when I go shopping. If they'd gone with a typical RPG battle system, which would necessitate going a lot deeper on weapons and accessories and progression elements, I think I would have given it a perfect 10.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you sell items in this? My inventory is full but talking to merchants doesn't seem to have a sell option

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can't sell items but you can discard them from the menu.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't even know you could have a full inventory and I just %100ed it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

You can't sell items but you can discard them from the menu.

Gotcha. Oh well!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't even know you could have a full inventory and I just %100ed it

Maybe it's because I'm a hoarder and never use items... I just got a POW block in yellow streamer chapter and it told me I couldn't pick it up because my inventory was full.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's because you can only have three pow blocks. i don't think it says your inventory is full, but that you can't have any more of these items specifically.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

mindscrapejem experimented with stuff and sussed out battle damage mechanics. Something to keep in mind for a replay or something I suppose. None of this takes defense into account. Dunno how many regular enemies make use of that, but it's absolutely in place for most bosses (especially to give most of them jump immunities, or just heavily decreasing damage.)

The general gist is that while action commands do matter, lineups and weapons matter way more, since you get the 50% damage boost from good lineups and weapon damage is boosted by that while action command damage isn't. (Or just weapon damage in boss battles.) Still important for being able to one shot certain enemies, as the difference between a great and an excellent can make or break certain encounters before you get more upgrades.

For how strong the Shiny Hurlhammer is, you get access to that way early.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 3, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Presenting my favourite joke from the game:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1289908963102908419

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Amppelix posted:

that's because you can only have three pow blocks. i don't think it says your inventory is full, but that you can't have any more of these items specifically.

Ah, that makes sense. I think it said something in the middle, like "you can't carry this item" or something. Thanks.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Araxxor posted:

mindscrapejem experimented with stuff and sussed out battle damage mechanics. Something to keep in mind for a replay or something I suppose. None of this takes defense into account. Dunno how many regular enemies make use of that, but it's absolutely in place for most bosses (especially to give most of them jump immunities, or just heavily decreasing damage.)

The general gist is that while action commands do matter, lineups and weapons matter way more, since you get the 50% damage boost from good lineups and weapon damage is boosted by that while action command damage isn't. (Or just weapon damage in boss battles.) Still important for being able to one shot certain enemies, as the difference between a great and an excellent can make or break certain encounters before you get more upgrades.

For how strong the Shiny Hurlhammer is, you get access to that way early.

Items doing set damage regardless of line-up seems like it might be noteworthy? Not sure how much 20/24 and 30/34 damage is relative to when you can use them but it might be useful for salvaging a botched puzzle more. (Of course, since enemy HP isn't displayed it's way harder to say, but...)

How bonus damage from HP is calculated is... interesting. I always thought it was +1 damage per 10 base HP, though I might not have been paying enough attention... Plus two thirds of a damage point for each heart is, uh, interesting. Checking some lists it looks like there's 14 Hearts in the game so the max damage bonus is +9 (though you'd top off the damage bonus at 13 hearts because of how it rounds).

Also I never knew there were ice and fire hammers. Huh.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Novasol posted:

With alpha dream dead, they should just rip off the Mario and Luigi battle system wholesale. Added bonus: your helper character can just be Luigi.

Why do you think this need to be in a Paper Mario game? Why can't they just at come out with a new Mario and Luigi game instead?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the reference to Mario and Luigi that was in this. At one point Luigi shows up and there's a ledge too high to jump to and Luigi goes "Hey I have this crazy idea, hit me with your hammer", and then you do the spring jump from the M&L games

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMOojyxQrc

this is a fun problem-solving video for the surprisingly (or not?) complex problem of creating rock paper scissors in mario maker.

E: why did i post this in the paper mario thread... wait i minute this has the same thread tag as mario maker thread! foiled again!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know if someone's done printable scans of the instructions and patterns for the Paper Mario origami set? I don't think this is something you can purchase; as far as I know, it's an exclusive bonus of some sort; possibly a preorder bonus? So I'm going to have to print them out myself if I want them. (And even if I could order them, the Philippines is on hold for a lot of online shopping places these days, because, well)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that ending sucked
the final boss was a wet fart and then it did the exact same ending with the partner sacrificing themselves as the last two games lol, it felt so forced

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SS, CS and OK feel like one dude's dream project, and with each iteration, they're forced to rework more aspects from the first attempt that people hated, while they desperately try to keep as much from that original dream project as possible for no reason except they liked it

Pro: aside from some hit-and-miss concepts, I think it's fair to call Origami King genuinely good overall

Con: they need to fire that guy

I'll give it two more games until characters turn into individuals again

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

the only thing left is to have olivia turn me into a paper crane and wish I never did this

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
very minor last boss spoilers:

Does the game help you out after enough fails during what I'm guessing is the final phase of the last fight where you have to unscramble the magic circle with the gas rising? I can't do it at all and I've already retried 6 times with no prompts or changes that I can see, so if not and there's no other gameplay afterwards I'm about ready to just watch the ending and call it a day

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Con: they need to fire that guy

I'll give it two more games until characters turn into individuals again

Interviews basically stated the lack of individual characteristics is due to a mandate from Nintendo, not Kensuke Tanabe’s fault. Dude said it was a difficult challenge the team was forced to work with.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

spoilery endgame screenshot but they're definitely aware of how people feel about the generic npcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

PageMaster posted:

very minor last boss spoilers:

Does the game help you out after enough fails during what I'm guessing is the final phase of the last fight where you have to unscramble the magic circle with the gas rising? I can't do it at all and I've already retried 6 times with no prompts or changes that I can see, so if not and there's no other gameplay afterwards I'm about ready to just watch the ending and call it a day

IIRC from when I went through it, the game gives you more time but I don't think it gives you any other help.