Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don’t think Doom Patrol is very monkeycheese, especially compared to the other shows in that vein like Legends of Tomorrow and Umbrella Academy. I see why the Alan Tudyk stuff is a bit much for some people but I think that comes more from “smug meta” than “lolrandom”.

Ozark I mostly find distinctly average (and the cinematography/lighting is ughhhh) but god drat Julia Garner is a loving powerhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
If you like Garner, she's very good in The Assistant, which is currently streaming on Hulu.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s an excellent movie

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

If you like Garner, she's very good in The Assistant, which is currently streaming on Hulu.

She was also in the most batshit crazy episode of Modern Love, which we happened to watch before starting Ozark and whenever she says "daddy" there I can't help but giggle:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8543400/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

The plot is basically "girl whose father died when she was young tries to hang out with a guy who is kinda father-like to her, and he understandably thinks she's into him" but it's so much more batshit than that. The first five minutes are her like, fattening him up with cookies to make him more "daddy like".

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

kuddles posted:

On episode 7 of 12 Monkeys in only 3 days (as someone who rarely watches more than 2 episodes of the same thing on the same day, this is a big thing for me). Been watching a lot of intense, deep and dour dramas or thriller shows recently so I think my brain just wanted something more pulpy that also wasn't a huge investment, and everyone is talking about Dark right now which as mentioned is more of the same, so I gravitated to the same concept done without the pretense, I guess.

Already like how it veers away from the storyline of the movie almost immediately. It still suffers from the issues associated with being a Canadian low-budget sci-fi production and with what I can only describe as a typical basic cable production style. But apparently the first season is known to be the worst by far and I've been entertained enough to see where it goes within that context so I can see myself finishing it.
Finished it last night, which is an achievement since I am very particular about the sci-fi/fantasy stuff I get into, and usually gravitate towards dramas.

It's not without it's faults, mostly caused by the subject matter itself as time travel narratives always end up having issues around forced character motivations, obvious plot threads since everything needs to be connected, weird conveniences, etc. And it also suffered from the typical sci-fi trope where the bad guys apparently had to make it clear visually that they were the bad guys.

But as a whole I enjoyed it a lot, obviously. They made the characters interesting and complex, to the degree that even characters that start off as annoying eventually become intriguing. They dealt with interesting subject matter involving free will or whether murder is justifiable or whether redemption is possible. There was also a lot of levity. It meant the characters actually felt like real people who were engaging as opposed to similar content that sometimes leaves you feeling they are empty vessels to tell a time loop story.

Trying to decide what to start next as the show I watch when my partner isn't around because it wouldn't be her thing. Gravitating towards The Sinner, because crime dramas where one investigation takes the entire season tends to always be a winner for me.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The last five minutes of Justified were pretty moving.

"cause we dug coal together"

Yeah, I was going to mention this. Such a cool moment for some of my favorite TV characters ever

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just watched The Boysfor the first time. Was really entertaining and more humors than I thought it would be.

Also, Karl Urban needs to be in more.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Karl Urban owns. Everything I've seen him in, even the lovely doom movie, he's been good in

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

Karl Urban owns. Everything I've seen him in, even the lovely doom movie, he's been good in

He was real good as Dredd in that remake. Of course, he didn't have to say much.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

TMMadman posted:

He was real good as Dredd in that remake. Of course, he didn't have to say much.

Incendiary.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TMMadman posted:

That movie ruled.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I also really liked his Bones McCoy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
4 episodes in to Legends of Tomorrow season 2 and what an improvement

It's like they realized they have an awesome premise for a monster of the week show and.. are finally accepting it. Ninjas and zombie confederates are kinda lol-random but I love fun bullshit like this. Also, Ray "enhancing" that super serum in the nazi laboratory in like, an hour, was so ridiculous I just had to love it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Heard some positive things about Lucifer so I've been binging through that the last couple of weeks. Nearing the end of season 3 now and holy poo poo why is this season so long? Feels like it should have ended on ep24 and now ep25 has absolutely nothing to do with the main story line. Like did they just have this one in the can and felt like they should put it out? Hopefully the next one isn't just Generic Lucifer Episode again.

Anyway, overall the show is better than I expected and while it does tend to drag character stuff out like crazy at least the characters are mostly likeable. I don't hate any of them and the actors all do a pretty good job by my (admittedly low) standards. Is the 4th season the first Netflix one? Or is that the upcoming season 5?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Heard some positive things about Lucifer so I've been binging through that the last couple of weeks. Nearing the end of season 3 now and holy poo poo why is this season so long? Feels like it should have ended on ep24 and now ep25 has absolutely nothing to do with the main story line. Like did they just have this one in the can and felt like they should put it out? Hopefully the next one isn't just Generic Lucifer Episode again.

Anyway, overall the show is better than I expected and while it does tend to drag character stuff out like crazy at least the characters are mostly likeable. I don't hate any of them and the actors all do a pretty good job by my (admittedly low) standards. Is the 4th season the first Netflix one? Or is that the upcoming season 5?

Yup, S3 is a bit of a slog, although I ended up liking some of the filler episodes just for being funny and less of emo Lucifer.

The last 2 episodes were filmed for an S4 that was going to air on Fox before it got cancelled and Netflix rescued it, so the aren't continuous after S3.

Lucifer was one of those shows that looked like the absolute worst based on the trailers, and it took me a couple of false starts, but I ended up liking it a lot.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Maybe a dumb question, but does season 4 pick the continuity back up? Or is it more of these kind of one off episodes?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No, S4 is a really tight cohesive season that picks up after (more or less, I won't spoil it) the S3E24 finale. Most opinions I've seen are it's the best season, and the show improved when it moved to Netflix.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if anyone remembers it or where it can be found now, but Karl Urban was good in the single season of "Almost Human"

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost through Season 3 of Foyle's War. Slow burn murder-of-the-weeks set in WW2 England. Seems like a step above many of the brit detective series in terms of actors and production. I'm no expert on WW2 but it feels like they are using the backdrop of the war and how it affected people to really good effect in the show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lucifer was one of those shows that looked like the absolute worst based on the trailers, and it took me a couple of false starts, but I ended up liking it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIRt0uG3D0&t=8s

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

TMMadman posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers it or where it can be found now, but Karl Urban was good in the single season of "Almost Human"

I really enjoyed that show. Stupid Fox.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Totally. Although what turned me off initially wasn't really whether the plots were riveting, it just took me a bit to find Lucifer the character likable or funny. He just seemed like what you'd get crossing an axe body spray commercial with a carl's junior commercial, lots of faux testosterone and nothing redeeming. Even goes to the intro music. There's the snippet of an OOOOOH HARD CORE IN YOUR FACE guitar heavy riff with cgi flames, but then you get into the show and he's playing Creep unaccompanied on the piano. Once I reset my opinion it got way better.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

calandryll posted:

I really enjoyed that show. Stupid Fox.

Almost Human was great, very rare to have any discussion of philosophy or the nature of sentience in a seemingly light scifi show. Also, Mr Pretty Eyes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Almost Human was a terrific show. I was surprised when it was cancelled although I probably shouldn't have been. Netflix should buy it and make 2 more seasons.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We've started watching Alone and are really enjoying it. Just a bunch of rednecks eating slugs and crying in the woods.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Trig Discipline posted:

We've started watching Alone and are really enjoying it. Just a bunch of rednecks eating slugs and crying in the woods.

It's so good! It shouldn't be at all! I love it

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Almost Human had a lot of promise, but it also had that Space: Above and Beyond throw-a-bunch-of-ideas-out-and-organize-them-later feel that had me worried for how they'd continue.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Ah what the gently caress, that's how season 2 of Doom Patrol ends? On the biggest cliffhanger ever? I sure hope there's a season 3 :mad:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Madurai posted:

Almost Human had a lot of promise, but it also had that Space: Above and Beyond throw-a-bunch-of-ideas-out-and-organize-them-later feel that had me worried for how they'd continue.

Also, aired out of order.

In correct order, the buddy cop dynamic develops organically. Makes the show so much better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

Ah what the gently caress, that's how season 2 of Doom Patrol ends? On the biggest cliffhanger ever? I sure hope there's a season 3 :mad:

COVID is a bitch.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TheAardvark posted:

It's so good! It shouldn't be at all! I love it

Just finished season 1. So surprised that Lucas went home when he did. He was halfway to rebuilding society from sticks and twine, and seem to be psychologically much better off than anyone else.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just started Mr. Robot.

It’s great, but season 1, episode 4 why do shows have to do dream sequences? I loving can’t stand them. Just move on with the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nwin posted:

Just started Mr. Robot.

It’s great, but season 1, episode 4 why do shows have to do dream sequences? I loving can’t stand them. Just move on with the show.

Oohhhh boy.

You should probably stop now if that's how you feel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oohhhh boy.

Yeah.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oohhhh boy.

gently caress, really? I love the hacking part of it and everything else, it’s just the spoiler part that bugs me. like the part where he sees the guys in black suits all the time is fine. It’s just him going through withdrawals and that dream sequence that was boring. It’s like there’s no progression to the actual story.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wife and I have binged a lot over the pandemic, but the show I continue to think about is Mad Men.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

gently caress, really? I love the hacking part of it and everything else, it’s just the spoiler part that bugs me. like the part where he sees the guys in black suits all the time is fine. It’s just him going through withdrawals and that dream sequence that was boring. It’s like there’s no progression to the actual story.

For what it’s worth, I love Mr. Robot and think that scene is probably the low point of the show. It’s just a very cliched and boring scene of its type imo

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

been rewatching Hannibal. Not really binging because I don't want to dream about this stuff.

I forgot how compelling and cohesive a serial they had made, paying off across 2 seasons, while pretending to be a procedural.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

since I've had time to do it I'm revisiting Community and wow, it is equal parts charming and problematic. I'm at about the point I dropped it (sometime in S4) during it's initial run. I guess I'm invested enough to just watch all of it but the quality dip from S3 to S4 is noticeable, it's like a different show with the same actors. except the Dean, who is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

since I've had time to do it I'm revisiting Community and wow, it is equal parts charming and problematic. I'm at about the point I dropped it (sometime in S4) during it's initial run. I guess I'm invested enough to just watch all of it but the quality dip from S3 to S4 is noticeable, it's like a different show with the same actors. except the Dean, who is always good.

Dan Harmon was replaced after Season 3. And the complaints about season 4 were enough that they brought him back for s5 and 6.