Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm not gonna lie, I love how Cortana looks in Halo 2 Remastered, but that's more to do with just how good that game looks in general. It's a shame the rest of the games in the Master Chief Collection didn't get the same treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The enhanced visuals setting actually screws up Combat Evolved Anniversary's visuals by over sharpening everything. The enhanced setting was made to upscale Halo Reach to 4K but it looks awful on CE.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

People were confused that FF15 was popular with women? It's four different, distinct types of hot dudes with varied personalities like a boy band RPG. It was popular enough with me, at least. Out of all the games that actually have fanservice for people who are into dudes, I think FF14, FF15, and Breath of the Wild are probably the biggest ones. I've almost never seen a male character in a game that a) is wearing skimpy clothes and also b) is not a disgustingly huge muscle weirdo who exists only to be someone's fitness goals.

People talked up Overwatch as being similar to TF2 and then it wasn't at all, and even if I had wanted to get into the game they kept rebalancing it constantly. Plus there were no dedicated servers so I couldn't find any interesting or fun places like I used back when I played TF2. Plus all the other players were obnoxious so I quit the game about a month after buying it.

Yeah, the characters of FF15 were great, you got 4 cute guys emotionally bonding in a way that was (and is still) pretty rare.
Good call with BotW too, people really went nuts over twinks Link and crossdressing Link

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McCloud posted:

Yeah, the characters of FF15 were great, you got 4 cute guys emotionally bonding in a way that was (and is still) pretty rare.
Good call with BotW too, people really went nuts over twinks Link and crossdressing Link

Moreover on Breath of the Wild, there are entire mods out there for it now that let you play the whole game as Zelda or as Linkle, both of which are really drat popular too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Combat Evolved Anniversary's enhanced visuals also fumble some important details in the environments compared to the original graphics. The chapter 343 Guilty Spark is probably the biggest example, a lot of the blood and carnage you find as you're introduced to the Flood for the first time is either less visually striking or just missing entirely, and everything is so well-lit it kinda kills the atmosphere. You even have the "toggle graphics" button right there to instantly see how dramatic the difference is.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 5, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've been thinking about getting the Master Chief Collection from Steam, but I'm waiting for them to release all the games in the collection, and hopefully patch up the sound issues I heard about.

It doesn't look Halo 5 comes with the pack, but Halo Infinite is coming to Steam as well.

I played Halo 1 and 2 over at a neighbor's house years ago, both in multiplayer and co-op, but I never played any of them from beginning-to-end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They patched the sound issues when they added Halo 3 back in July.

The big issue now is that campaign co op play is peer to peer and seems to make the game engines poo poo the bed. Also halo 3's multiplayer hit detection is terribke because it can't properly account for framerates above 30fps

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Are Jake Paul's drug deals catching up with him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

the best one of those types of games was Gigantic and it died an ignoble death so nobody can complain about Overwatch

Yup.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Are Jake Paul's drug deals catching up with him

"Oh, why is Jake Paul trending now"...:stare:.

I didn't foresee a shadowy FBI raid seizing Jake Paul's guns in 2020, I'll admit. Going to be interesting what in the world triggered it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

"Oh, why is Jake Paul trending now"...:stare:.

I didn't foresee a shadowy FBI raid seizing Jake Paul's guns in 2020, I'll admit. Going to be interesting what in the world triggered it.

A TMZ article said it has something to do with him participating in the George Floyd riots. Can't wait to see all the batshit insane right wingers coming up with conspiracy theories on how Jake Paul is leader of antifa or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frci0TZEEsc

Sage looks at Barefoot Gen on the 75th anniversary of the Hiroshima Bombing and discusses his trip to Hiroshima in November 2019 before the world ended.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamie Faith posted:

A TMZ article said it has something to do with him participating in the George Floyd riots. Can't wait to see all the batshit insane right wingers coming up with conspiracy theories on how Jake Paul is leader of antifa or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3qBQb8F00

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Logan Paul is the leader of antifa, actually. Understandable confusion.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i just watched hbomb's rwby video and it was quite fun and informative, and it was real cool to see the parts the show did well at too! :)

it also made me want to continue watching atla :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Belated, but

RareAcumen posted:

Bruce and Joker becoming friends and the latter thinking Batman is super cool too was also very cute as well.

the ending where Bruce tells John he actually considered him a friend and shows up to visit him and support him through his healing chokes me up every time. :unsmith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

the best one of those types of games was Gigantic and it died an ignoble death so nobody can complain about Overwatch
Which coincidentally got a lot of wind taken out of its sails when Overwatch was announced like six months after it. Then Microsoft bought it and had no crossplay for accounts so your progress was different on the Windows store version than like, Steam.

I liked that game. It deserved better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Belated, but

the ending where Bruce tells John he actually considered him a friend and shows up to visit him and support him through his healing chokes me up every time. :unsmith:

Telltale was so good when they had a chance. It's a shame that CEOs are scum and also insulated from all consequences.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dunno to what extent shitposts are acceptable here so by all means tell me to gently caress off but, I present to you anyway;

What if the Trump interview were directed by Armando Iannucci?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Belated, but

I really adored their take on Batman completely discarding the "Bruce is just a mask" stuff. Like it's not inherently bad, but one it tends to land better in JL stuff where he's contrasted with Superman and two it had kinda been the default for ages. So Telltale's much more human take was incredibly refreshing and let them do stuff like the above which was just :discourse:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hiya folks, I've finally put out a new video! This one's about the Punisher and how the police and the military in the United States have slowly adopted him as a sort-of kind-of mascot and role model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aacTBwvdjQE

Definitely not the most fun video I'll ever make. :smithfrog:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I really adored their take on Batman completely discarding the "Bruce is just a mask" stuff. Like it's not inherently bad, but one it tends to land better in JL stuff where he's contrasted with Superman and two it had kinda been the default for ages. So Telltale's much more human take was incredibly refreshing and let them do stuff like the above which was just :discourse:

yeah, i liked telltales take on batman and the joker, i do like that the joker while having a hosed up side is also clearly ill and is just looking for a role model and a friend. its interesting and different. i like different interpratations of characters and poo poo. like some blow like with "lets make batman a facist" or "lets make superman an kinda of an objectivist" but many are cool and interesting.

JordanKai posted:

Hiya folks, I've finally put out a new video! This one's about the Punisher and how the police and the military in the United States have slowly adopted him as a sort-of kind-of mascot and role model.

good video. i find it sad that in my opinion, cops/marines/etc miss the point of the punisher. like yeah their is a "grim badass who sends the monsters to hell because spiderman is a cowarly pussy" type poo poo but my take is he is just a super broken dude who is basicaly killing monsters(deserving or not) until he either gets killed/dies or he fucks up and tops himself or he somehow "succeeds" and than he tops himself. I always felt warhammers 40ks Night Haunter was a nice disection of the "grim avenger" thing better than the punisher. i am saying this as a punisher fan or at least the ennis lines.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 6, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good video. i find it sad that in my opinion, cops/marines/etc miss the point of the punisher. like yeah their is a "grim badass who sends the monsters to hell because spiderman is a cowarly pussy" type poo poo but my take is he is just a super broken dude who is basicaly killing monsters(deserving or not) until he either gets killed/dies or he fucks up and tops himself or he somehow "succeeds" and than he tops himself. I always felt warhammers 40ks Night Haunter was a nice disection of the "grim avenger" thing better than the punisher. i am saying this as a punisher fan.

Especially given Frank's roots in the 70's 'broken man seeks vengeance' genre he was never meant as an inspirational figure but God knows in the 80's that sold big. Honestly getting an ongoing series was a mistake.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Gotta post this here because Punisher:
https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/1288328079623049217

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like that movie for the gory stupid poo poo it was, plus him killing mafia assholes is always funny.

Dawgstar posted:

Especially given Frank's roots in the 70's 'broken man seeks vengeance' genre he was never meant as an inspirational figure but God knows in the 80's that sold big. Honestly getting an ongoing series was a mistake.

yeah, he was a one off in a spiderman arc i believe. and than he blew up in the 80s because no one gave a poo poo about the comic book code anymore.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i like the netflix punisher because they treat the fascist fantasy of the punisher as a villain and when we’re supposed to see him as a hero he’s fighting a corrupt system. They’re hard to recommend (daredevil s2 where he’s introduced blows especially) but i enjoyed them for what they were

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:rip: to the fallen.

watho posted:

i like the netflix punisher because they treat the fascist fantasy of the punisher as a villain and when we’re supposed to see him as a hero he’s fighting a corrupt system. They’re hard to recommend (daredevil s2 where he’s introduced blows especially) but i enjoyed them for what they were

It's a tough pick versus Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, but I think Netflix Punisher might be my favourite take on the character. It puts work into establishing how Frank thinks and functions that a lot of other takes on the Punisher don't. Plus, much better villains than he gets to take on in the comics most of the time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JordanKai posted:

:rip: to the fallen.

It's a tough pick versus Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, but I think Netflix Punisher might be my favourite take on the character. It puts work into establishing how Frank thinks and functions that a lot of other takes on the Punisher don't. Plus, much better villains than he gets to take on in the comics most of the time.

i like ennis Punisher because he is basicaly if batman killed criminals where everything is meticiously planned and counter plans and poo poo. like when he kills those three vigilantes he gets mad at the lefty vigilante not for killing the big buessness monsters but because he was a sloppy psycho who basicaly killed innocent folks as well because he used heavy ordinance in office buildings and such and it killed a bunch of unrelated people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like ennis Punisher because he is basicaly if batman killed criminals where everything is meticiously planned and counter plans and poo poo. like when he kills those three vigilantes he gets mad at the lefty vigilante not for killing the big buessness monsters but because he was a sloppy psycho who basicaly killed innocent folks as well because he used heavy ordinance in office buildings and such and it killed a bunch of unrelated people.

'Welcome Back Frank' is probably the only mainstream Punisher book you never need to read. Even Ennis' other work with Punisher in the mainstream MU is kinda bad. (By which I mean not MAX before anybody says anything.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't know anything about the Punisher except Punisher: Warzone is really funny/goofy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZXC0Q4-A4

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 7, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Kenny Lauderdale gushes about one of the first superheroes to come out of Japan: a golden skeleton with a staff, a sick Dracula cape, and an infectious laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExePeYkGwA

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the Stevie U links are pretty tenuous, but it's a fun video none-the-less. Golden Bat is a delightful character.

A couple episodes of the '67 cartoon are on youtube, as is the '66 movie! I'll try and find time to watch it, this weekend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

wait, slowly?

watho posted:

I dunno, I think the half focused around the Punisher was really good and then the Hand sucked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm pretty sure there's been a line before where someone asked Punisher what he'd do if he really got rid of everyone terrible and the response was like "I'll always have one bullet saved", he's not really a guy hyped about his job most of the time.

Also the Daredevil and Punisher shows were both pretty good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does the Punisher contribute to the super big catastrophe events like alien invasions and etc or is he literally walking past invading Atlanteans to get in that warehouse and wipe out another faction of Kingpin goons?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't know anything about the Punisher except Punisher: Warzone is really funny/goofy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZXC0Q4-A4

I'm glad someone posted this clip before I had to. I love that stupid loving film :allears:.

Though we can't forget good old "GOD DAMMIT CASTLE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53AkuEaIv_A

You just know that's not the first time it's happened.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Wasn't sure if it was alright to post your own videos in this thread, looks like it's fine after all, though.

For a little under a year now, I've been making analysis / editorial type videos about games and game design, heavily inspired by Super Bunnyhop, StopSkeletons, Jeremy Parish etc. I've really been enjoying it a lot, as it gives me the opportunity to highlight games I feel deserve more attention, and cool little bits of game design for anyone who's into that sort of thing. I think these are the two best videos I've put together so far:

An in-depth review of RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive, a mecha game for the PS2 made by Sandlot, the same guys responsible for the Earth Defense Force Series.

A look at some games with weird or interesting save systems, what makes them work, and why you don't see them around as much anymore.

Any feedback or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, hope you guys enjoy them as much as I've had making them :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RareAcumen posted:

Does the Punisher contribute to the super big catastrophe events like alien invasions and etc or is he literally walking past invading Atlanteans to get in that warehouse and wipe out another faction of Kingpin goons?

He turns up in Civil War and it's frankly the only bit of that event where someone's characterised properly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Pretty sure Punisher works for Hydra Cap during Secret Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vonnie posted:

Pretty sure Punisher works for Hydra Cap during Secret Empire.

Yeah he does. Even wears a Hydra logo shirt.