Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like it the first time I saw it in theatre too. But it was probably because it was in Nu3D and is fairly pretty. I rewatched it at home a few years ago and it’s pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i've never actually watched avatar all the way through

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

i've never actually watched avatar all the way through

Actually same.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In my movie collection I have a shrink wrapped Avatar bluray that someone bought me for xmas. I can't imagine why.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa im one with the trees!!!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

golden bells posted:

For every Avatar movie we get one (1) Battle Angel Alita movie

What have you done???

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm Fleta the big blue cat
I live on a tree planet
I fly through the sky
Clutching a big bird's thigh
I'm Fleta the big blue cat!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cameron wants to gently caress a blue cat person

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The Venture Star is a really cool and realistic spaceship design that a lot of thought was put into by Cameron's team.

The big engine & radiator section is the 'front', with the payload section trailing behind it and thus uses tensile strength instead of compressive to save on mass. The shield at the back protects the payload modules from the giant loving laser that boosts the ship out of Sol and unfortunately wasn't ever depicted on screen.

From Atomic Rocket

quote:

The ship is 1.5 kilometers long. In the Sol departure phase, a battery of orbital lasers illuminates a 16 kilometer diameter photon sail attached to the ship's nose (sail not shown). A mirror shield on the ship's rear prevents the laser beams from damaging the ship. The lasers accelerate the ship at 1.5 g for 0.46 year. At the end of this the ship is moving at 70% the speed of light (210,000 kilometers per second).

Keep in mind that battery of orbital lasers is going to have to be absolutely huge if it is going to push a lightsail at 1.5 g. This is not going to be a tiny satellite in LEO.

I cannot calculate the exact power rating since figures on the mass of the ISV Venture Star are conspicuous by their absence. The equation is Vs = (2 * Ev) / (Ms * c) where Vs is the starship acceleration, Eb is the energy of the beam, Ms is the mass of the starship, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. Dr. Geoffrey Landis says is boils down to 6.7 newtons per gigawatt.

In Dr. Robert Forward's The Flight of the Dragonfly (aka Rocheworld), his starship's light sail is illuminated by a composite laser beam with a strength of 1500 terawatts. This pushes the starship with an acceleration of 0.01g (about 150 times as weak as the acceleration on the Venture Star). The beam is produced by one thousand laser stations in orbit around Mercury (where solar power is readily available in titanic amounts). Each station can produce a 1.5 terawatt beam, 1500 terawatts total. By way of comparison, in the year 2008, the entire Earth consumed electricity at a rate of about 15 terawatts. Since the Venture Star appears to be more massive than Forward's starship, and is accelerating 150 times as fast, presumably its battery of laser cannons is orders of magnitude larger.

As a side note, it is good to remember Jon's Law for SF authors. and The Kzinti Lesson. While technically this laser array is a component of a propulsion system, not a weapon; in practice it will have little difficulty vaporizing an invading alien battlefleet. Or hostile human battlefleet, for that matter (with the definition of "hostile" depending upon who actually controls the laser array). As Commander Susan Ivanova said in the Babylon 5 episode Deathwalker: "Our gun arrays are locked on to your ship, and will fire the instant you come into range. You will find their firepower most impressive ... for a few seconds."

Anyway, after the laser boost period is over, the sail is then collapsed along molecular fold lines by service bots, and stowed in the cargo area. The ship then coasts for the next 5.83 years to Alpha Centauri.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

cameron wants to gently caress a blue cat person

James Cameron wants to gently caress James Cameron.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I saw it on TV a while ago, looked at the background and it was just like, trees. Not even crazy pandora trees, just normal rear end cgi jungle.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That is because we are used to CGI spectacle now. And since that is all Avatar really had, it doesn't do well on a re-watch.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I watched Avatar in the cinemas twice cause it was a pretty neat looking movie. Also made me think of big blue space twinks and why they weren't in this movie

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Hot take:

Avatar was made because James Cameron got jealous of his pet cats screwing all the time, and like being really, obnoxiously, loud about it.

JC would just be lying in bed listening to them; but not knowing what it's like, to really feel cat love Growing more and more desperate as he fantasized nightly, daily over his taboo, he hatched a plan. "If I make a a film where cats sex each other, then people will throw heavy objects at me". "but if they are also blue alien cats then people will believe I am the next George Lucas"

And that's it really. He's been spending the budget on the sequels to just make ever increasingly detailed vr cat sex proof of concepts.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think the Navi are supposed to be more like lemurs than cats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

David D. Davidson posted:

*na'vi

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lemurs pee on their feet so they can stick to trees a little. Their pee glows under a black light!

E: oh gently caress yeah

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pee is stored in the lemur

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Don't tell that to JC or he will get very upset and make a new terminator to spite us

Edit: he may also just actually release Avatar 2 to spite us

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I want to go directly to Avatar 3 where the trees are the ones walking around and plugging their clitbraids into giant, motionless cats. Also I heard there was gonna be an Ewok in the background somewhere!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Wasn't Avatar 2 supposed to be underwater?

Also when I was younger I identified with the Marines because they were just trying to feed their families and I had recently watched Aliens. Eventually I grew out of it though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Has a movie with such a huge box office ever been as unrewatchable as Avatar?

300 was not nearly as big but features an added rape storyline that pretty much does nothing but fill out the run-time

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Lemurs pee on their feet so they can stick to trees a little. Their pee glows under a black light!

i have mspaint open, don't tempt me, don't do it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

fauna posted:

i have mspaint open, don't tempt me, don't do it

Show them you are a true Na'vi!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No, Zoboomafoo donnnnnnnnnnnnt

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Do it, I double dare you

(aww I haven't been blessed with the blue yet :( )

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

well, here goes nothing

wow!

so much better than my garbage life on earth! peeing on my feet never did me any good

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Would be good if their special bond with those flying not-dinosaurs was also just pissing all over them.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

fauna posted:

well, here goes nothing

wow!

so much better than my garbage life on earth! peeing on my feet never did me any good

Majestic

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Better than I dreamed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

fauna posted:

well, here goes nothing

wow!

Send this to the Madagascar Board of Tourism immediately

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
That art is amazing! Never before have I felt so immersed in the world of Avatar! The thread title is gonna be updated though to represent this no longer being a safe for work thread!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

reignofevil posted:

That art is amazing! Never before have I felt so immersed in the world of Avatar! The thread title is gonna be updated though to represent this no longer being a safe for work thread!
lol, i'm sorry about that, i should have spoilered them, it was like 3am and i was overcome with passion. you could almost say i opened some kind of box... a box of pandora

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Show me the piss box.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

someone dun goofed my sexy cat man avatar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fauna posted:

well, here goes nothing

wow!

These need to go on the avastar murals

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m really curious to see how Avatar 2 does at the box office

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

CelticPredator posted:

These need to go on the avastar murals

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Avatar was hands down one of the most immersive experiences I have had in a movie theater. Shame that the movie isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Gravity was better at what Pandora tried to do because it wasn't full of dumb looking blue cats.