Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zwabu posted:

we felt bad

this feeling is not the way of the reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zwabu’s heart was reaped.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
More like the Weepers Emissary

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

V for Vegans posted:

You can tell who knows that every play session has to end with a ceremonial burning of the ship and who doesn’t based on how scared they are of the ship burning.

Hell yeah! We also go down with the ship while playing music, Titanic-style.

Also, what a tale Zwabu

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
My friend snuck onto a galleon which was clearing out the Fort of the Damned, waited until they loaded their loot onto their rowboat, and then detached it and snuck away with half their stuff

Later, I joined his sloop session and we ganked them for the other half

A+ game

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pattonesque posted:

My friend snuck onto a galleon which was clearing out the Fort of the Damned, waited until they loaded their loot onto their rowboat, and then detached it and snuck away with half their stuff

Later, I joined his sloop session and we ganked them for the other half

A+ game

We found a Reaper offloading fort loot at the Reaper island last night. They’d dropped a rowboat with one guy and the loot and kept sailing to lure us away. Killed him, stole the boat and then sailed until we lost them and flogged off the loot for fat profits.

Also due to a misunderstanding turning into a running joke we now refer to the Reaper dude at the hideout as Rupert. Set sail for Rupert’s house, let’s sell this to Rupert, etc. Rupert is real and strong, and he is my friend.

Side note this game is loving beautiful.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Coq au Nandos posted:

We found a Reaper offloading fort loot at the Reaper island last night. They’d dropped a rowboat with one guy and the loot and kept sailing to lure us away. Killed him, stole the boat and then sailed until we lost them and flogged off the loot for fat profits.

Also due to a misunderstanding turning into a running joke we now refer to the Reaper dude at the hideout as Rupert. Set sail for Rupert’s house, let’s sell this to Rupert, etc. Rupert is real and strong, and he is my friend.

Side note this game is loving beautiful.

Gotta practice harpooning yourself into Ruperts house! Did that today for the first time and it was awesome. Was lucky enough that a second harpoon rowboat was at the hideout and I just storage chest'd away all the rowboat cache and switched over. That hack to take a cargo run's goods on your first trip over was a quick five levels for us, thanks for that.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Game is good! Rare did a great job and the game has improved a lot

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Goonfleet action may have ended a several ships, along with one marriage. Gally and sloop in coordinated fuckery leads to good piracy.

This is why you join discord.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Goonfleet action may have ended a several ships, along with one marriage. Gally and sloop in coordinated fuckery leads to good piracy.

CaptainMemeL wound up being our most valuable cargo yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So i haven't looked at the update notes-are ashen lords random or contained in voyages?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Are there any ANZ goons who play this, by the way? I've been playing with friends on-and-off for the last ~6 months, and it seems like they're playing less nowadays - I'm still keen on playing though, so I'm curious if there are any Aussie or Kiwis out sailing the seven seas.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Are there any ANZ goons who play this, by the way? I've been playing with friends on-and-off for the last ~6 months, and it seems like they're playing less nowadays - I'm still keen on playing though, so I'm curious if there are any Aussie or Kiwis out sailing the seven seas.

I’ve been playing more or less nonstop this week while I’ve been off work sick.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

How do you get people onto the same server? Do you have a ship go to a certain place and park a certain way with the reaper emissary or mark?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You ask a pubbie nicely/bribe them with an athena mission or something, and then they add your friend on the Xbox App, and your friend joins, and the pubbie leaves, and then you assemble the team from there. That's how we did it back in the day though, not sure if there's an easier way now.

I miss goonfleet bullshittery.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

That's like an entire server full of goons lol.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it fuckin' owned, this was before the days of there actually being things for more than one boat to do besides immediately turn on each other though lmao

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Shinjobi posted:

So i haven't looked at the update notes-are ashen lords random or contained in voyages?

They're semi-random and part of the 'world event' cycle. In this cycle are forts, skeleton fleets, Flameheart and the Kraken. Of these, only one can ever be active at the same time. Beat one, and a few minutes later another one will pop up. Usually there's a Kraken in between any two other events, but not always.

Skeleton ships, Megs and Fort of the Damned are independent of this cycle. They can happen at the same time as a world event.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Merijn posted:

Skeleton ships, Megs and Fort of the Damned are independent of this cycle. They can happen at the same time as a world event.

And sometimes you get a Kraken, a Meg and a Skeleton ship attacking you all at once!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A friend and I saw a sloop doing an Ashen Lord event at Wanderer's Refuge, so he anchored on the other side of it while I swam over, found a keg, and snuck it into their crow's nest.

While I was tucked up there, ANOTHER sloop rolled up and started helping the original sloop, so I jumped off, brought a second keg over to them, snuck it into their crow's nest, and just to make sure, lit a fire below decks. Then I went back to the original sloop

Somehow, one of the guys from the second sloop found the keg in their crow's nest but didn't realize it was placed there with ill intent, and so he took it onto the shore to fight the boss. He also didn't notice the fire.

As soon as they finished the boss, I set the keg off in the hull of the first sloop and the second sloop finally sunk from the damage from the fire. We killed the crews and started loading up our rowboat.

One of the original sloops came roaring back for revenge as we were rowing over, and we just barely got the rowboat docked and got underway before they caught us. Yet another sloop, possibly one of the originals, also joined the chase. We tried boarding a few times, and I managed to drop their anchor as both of them somehow blunderbussed too early while I was on the ladder, but they were catching up overall, so we decided on a STRATAGEM.

We let them get close as we neared the Reaper's Hideout and I very obviously went to take the Ashen Lord Skull off the rowboat, bringing it to the bow. We sailed close enough to the Hideout to make it seem like I was jumping off to try to turn the skull in, and both of them shot themselves on the island. My friend got a free board of their ship, anchored it, and killed both of them when they tried to come back. The second sloop caught up to them and started filling them with holes, so my friend shot a few cannonballs at them, boarded them, killed the crew, and set it on fire. I think this is the first time we've boarded an enemy ship FROM an enemy ship.

Meanwhile I had continued on my merry way to Dagger Tooth and we netted about 30k. A+ heist would heist again

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Any of you guys playing on Xbox? Me and my buddies are the dumbasses losing every fight and would be happy to help better crews. I don’t think we’re criminally stupid or anything, just inexperienced.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Chemmy posted:

Any of you guys playing on Xbox? Me and my buddies are the dumbasses losing every fight and would be happy to help better crews. I don’t think we’re criminally stupid or anything, just inexperienced.

There is cross-platform play. Steam players and Xbox players together in harmony.

We have a goon discord here https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5 - Good place to meet up with goons to play with. I recommend it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I am on Xbox and I lose literally every pvp fight. :(

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Merijn posted:

I’m on PC and I lose almost every pvp fight. If you team up with some good fighters you can stay on the ship and guard ladders/help turn and stuff. Something for everyone!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah that's what I usually do. I just dislike pvp combat so much that I don't do it, which is why I don't get any better at it, which is why I don't do it, etc.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

I'm sure you've been on our boat when we've killed random dudes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I assume every time I've won a fight it's because the other players were on xbox.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you're using a controller your job is basically run around with the shotgun or the sword and keep people off of your boat, which is fine, it's a useful and very important job.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I'm sure you've been on our boat when we've killed random dudes.

My kill/death ratio is pretty much zero, but I guess it's not entirely zero.

A few weeks ago I checked my Arena commendations, and since the Anniversary update in April 2019, I've killed just 13 people in Arena matches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I don’t think I’ve even really shot at another player in this game. I’ve fired canons at other players boats, but they were out maneuvering us and a skelly ship popped up next to us that looked more fun so we fought that instead. This was also playing with my friends who only recently got this game though, so we weren’t very good about aiming cannon balls and such.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The most fun is shooting at other players. I gave up trying to grind up for gold and cosmetics and just roam around in my basic boat trying to sink others.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I agree - the PVP is pretty good! A friend and I were sloopin' along and were ambushed by a sloop and then right after by a brig, fully laden with loot. We managed to take out both (we only had a gold goblet on our boat, so the stakes were pretty low, so fleeing didn't even cross our minds) and it was great! :D The end of the fight took us past an erupting volcano, and the sole survivor of the enemy brig swam through boiling water to board our ship while we were putting out fires. (I immediately blew him apart with my blunderbuss, but it was a solid effort for him to reach us)

The most stressful part was when we loaded our crows nest up with 11 explosive kegs on our way home with the loot (found an island cram-packed with the bloody things), but we made it back and sold it all for a cool profit.

EDIT: The only thing I wish they'd change about this game is the silent stab-jumping. if they nerf that (as fun+convenient as it can be) then I think it'll be real solid. Since I mean, some people are just a little bit too effective, when it comes to stab-jumping off their mast onto/alongside enemy ships

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 5, 2020

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I played a long game yesterday with a New Zealand bloke who loaded up our Galleon with a full crew, then took us over to a Brig. We ambushed their crew while they were on the island, had them dead to rights, and he sent them a party invite and politely introduced himself and offered to help with their quest, in exchange for us having their Brig when they were finished.

Rinse and repeat with a sloop, and we wound up rolling around on a Galleon with 9 crew, steamrolling world events and stacking up loot. Very chill time.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking at playing this but worried about being spanked around by other crews.
Any advice? Probably playing with husband and our gaming friend.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Iymarra posted:

So I'm looking at playing this but worried about being spanked around by other crews.

The only advantage anyone has over you is experience, there aren't like better weapons or ships and stuff, just cosmetic improvements. Speaking of cosmetic improvements there are 2 days of twitch drops this weekend, sat/sun.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

playing with people you know and can actually talk to on comms is the biggest piece of advice I could give you so you're set there. Just always have someone on lookout, or at least taking a peek at the horizon every once in a while. It's almost impossible to be ambushed if you remember to take a look around every few minutes. Never trust anyone, but don't use this as an excuse to just attack everybody you see; look at pubbies as a resource to be used, and not as a problem to be avoided.

For my own personal play-style advice, if anyone gets within cannonball range of you and you have not explicitly told them to do so, they are a threat and need to be mitigated. This goes double for actually boarding your ship; unsanctioned boat tours are attacks in my eyes. Our philosophy on combat action, especially on the open seas, is two-on, two-off, but in your case I would lean closer to two-on, one-off. This means that if you even have a passing day-dream that you may be attacked, two sailors need to be on your ship at all times, and the remaining sailors need to be causing problems on the enemy's boat. Also pay attention to your sails, in a pursuit, sail manipulation is king. And don't feel like you have to drop the anchor every time you stop, in fact, try to use it as little as possible.

I recommend at the beginning of every voyage, and occasionally through the session, hit up forts that aren't active as events to restock on gunpowder kegs (which you always keep in the crow's nest) and supplies. Be fishing as you travel around, both to give yourself something to do and as a food source/extra bit of cash at the end of a session.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2020

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Iymarra posted:

if you farm wooden planks the only way for anyone to sink you is to board your ship and murder you as you try to repair

an ez way to gain an edge in pvp is to shoot pigs/chickens and cook their meat. eating cooked food will overheal you in a way that automatically recharges your health meter if you stop taking damage for a few secs

but also don't worry or stress. this is one of the only games that's actually still fun to get beaten in so long as they don't spawn camp you until you chose to scuttle your own ship

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Thief posted:

if you farm wooden planks the only way for anyone to sink you is to board your ship and murder you as you try to repair

an ez way to gain an edge in pvp is to shoot pigs/chickens and cook their meat. eating cooked food will overheal you in a way that automatically recharges your health meter if you stop taking damage for a few secs

but also don't worry or stress. this is one of the only games that's actually still fun to get beaten in so long as they don't spawn camp you until you chose to scuttle your own ship

The 'skeleton ships' - usually sloops unless you're on a brig or bigger - now drop supply crates. Supplies are in effect, worth waaay more than treasure. Having a fully stocked supply crate and getting sunk is basically just supplying your enemy. Put your poo poo away, keep what you want to lose in a crate between the cannons.

Losing an hours worth of loot probably feels bad, but losing an hours worth of being on top of small islands, sea clusters of barrels and random shipwrecks worth of supplies seems worse.

TLDR don't keep a supply crate full of goodies on board for sombody to take, otherwise, leave a supply crate full of goodies on the dock before you quit.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, I'd second that advice. Spending 30 minutes stripping a couple islands for resources and getting sunk feels worse than losing loot, for sure. My crew and I like to use storage crates as food transport for land based fights. Fighting Red Ruth (Or Graymarrow, or hell, Briggsy) burns through a ton of good food and we're glad to have brought it all with us instead of trying to source it from barrels on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
All this is very good advice, I would add that if you wanna supercharge your learning just spend a couple sessions going super aggro at every sail you see. You’ll pick up on how to chase, how to deal with being chased, ship combat, and PVP very quickly this way