Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Lotus Eaters chapter 9

Featuring a sick burn on the plot of IN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/KaliningradG/status/1287508996488921090

mima, but it feels like nes box art megaman

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Lotus Eaters chapter 9

Featuring a sick burn on the plot of IN.

Seemed a little short this time but at least we got this

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Seems like this series is focusing on Reimu's ambivalence towards Youkai extermination and the internal conflict over her duty that Forbidden Scrollery and Symposium of Post-Mysticism touched on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Another chapter of Human Gengokyo has been translated and it continues to be quite good.

https://mangadex.org/title/44128/touhou-human-gensokyo

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/sasamorichou/status/1288143364034973696

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Are there any good videos explaining Touhou lore? I want to try to help to my friends understand this bizarre horseshit I'm into.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Are there any good videos explaining Touhou lore?

everyone fights, and then they go shitfaced at reimu's temple

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SmokaDustbowl posted:

everyone fights, and then they go shitfaced at reimu's temple

:hmmyes:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

touhou lore video would go probably go through: extensive character backstories, set ups, connections for the game -> reimu spends the afternoon beating people in the face -> tea party -> in depth set up for the extra stage and its reprecussions -> reimu spends the afternoon beating 2 more people in the face

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You can get into the obscure historical religious disciplines some of the characters reference or are references too, but that's very peripheral to the games.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I was thinking more in terms of explaining: what is Gensokyo, what is the barrier, who is Reimu, why does she have to beat up all these dang youkai?

Less so the plot of any individual games/gameplay/etc.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I was thinking more in terms of explaining: what is Gensokyo, what is the barrier, who is Reimu, why does she have to beat up all these dang youkai?

she beats them up because reimu's temple is the best place to get hosed up

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No, every explanation is bad because they're written by the same people replying to your posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

gensokyo is a place where forgotten things drift to, sealed off from the outside world. reimu is a lazy cynical jackass who is theoretically in charge of maintaining order. see above.

its something that takes two minutes to explain

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I'm familiar enough with Touhou lore myself, but copy/pasting a youtube link is quicker than if I tried explaining it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm familiar enough with Touhou lore myself, but copy/pasting a youtube link is quicker than if I tried explaining it.

copy paste what i just typed!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgK8eUdpAo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just say "kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu kosuzu" until they get it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's clearly a gap in the market here, so I decided to dedicate a series of videos to this topic. Here's the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLtxStwwnY

You'll have to support me on Patreon if you want to see the rest.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
No, there is no simple "here's all the lore" video or podcast source depicted in a way that isn't embarrassing to watch, at least. The One Podcast kind of already assumes you're in deep.

I should probably make one.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Really I just want to be lazy and get someone else to explain everything so I don't have to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alternatively, you could just read Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's true, that covers like a good half of everything by itself. It's Pretty Much That.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Often the unstated constraint on "explain Touhou" is "in a way that makes it sounds super awesome to people who don't already have a clue". It's fairly easy to do this in a basic or meme-friendly way but I'm not sure it convinces a lot of people to, say, buy and play Touhou Game of Choice (compared to "yo listen to this music"). Clarste gives a good suggestion; but then the person just goes and reads all of Pratchett (great!) and never gets around to the whole Touhou thing.

Which is not to say that I have any better ideas.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

here's the touhou lore video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Fi6bV42uI

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Are there any good videos explaining Touhou lore? I want to try to help to my friends understand this bizarre horseshit I'm into.
Friends don't make friends watch lore videos

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Ayayayayayayaya
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1297163915445624832

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

wew

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMF4umLzcnI

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nice legs

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the plot of 17.5 involves oil bubbling up from under the earth, so no wonder 'industrial tycoon' kanako is interested.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I just want to see more of the Crown Prince.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Bring back Meiling, these danmaku fights are all about punching each other, she's finally back in her element!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Do we know if this game is going to be like the other fighting games where every character will be playable? Because playable Yamame would be very exciting.

Kanako is also a good choice. The least cool of the Moriya Gods but still pretty cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Do we know if this game is going to be like the other fighting games where every character will be playable? Because playable Yamame would be very exciting.

Kanako is also a good choice. The least cool of the Moriya Gods but still pretty cool.

Probably not since there's no multiplayer. We can dream though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I believe in the spider.