Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I wanna talk about symmetry.

Symmetry is a funny and interesting thing. Artists talk about symmetry in their works. Biologists talk about the symmetry of organisms. Chemists talk about the symmetry of molecules, and physicists talk about the symmetry of particles. A lawyer may talk about symmetry in a contract, or a strategist might talk about symmetrical or asymmetrical forces. Not only do people all through the different parts of society talk about symmetry, but they all use it essentially the same way.

Something has symmetry if you perform some ‘transformation’ on it (like rotating it around an axis) without experiencing a change. For instance, if you have cube standing on one of its points, you could rotate it 90*s and the ‘new’ cube would be indistinguishable from the ‘old’ cube.

The symmetry transformations or symmetry elements are: mirror planes, rotations axes, inversion centers, and screw axes. If you’re a seraph existing in a heaven of platonic perfection, you might also see tetrahedral, octahedral, and icosahedral symmetry elements. The totality of a subjects symmetry can be described by the simplest transformations which can be combined to make all other transformations of that subject. For the mathematically inclined, this is Group Theory.

Biologically, most of us animals have bilateral symmetry. This means that there’s a plane that goes through us, that has mirror images on either side of it. In schoenflies notations, this is represented by the Greek letter sigma.

Higher symmetries are present in places like the Palace at Al-Hambra, or the prints of MC Escher. Even higher symmetries are present in molecules like carbon tetrachloride, where scientists use their Point Groups to understand their spectra.

Using group theory, algebra, and geometry, symmetry encompasses every facet of human existence.

Bringing us back to Jung’s archetypes, we see that symmetry Must be an archetype. If it wasn’t an archetype, we would physically not be able to perceive it. Because it is an archetype, we perceive it literally everywhere, from a puddle of water, to a star, to subatomic particles, to bathroom walls, and even our marriages. Truly, Jung is an eternal scientist on par with Marx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

xraM htiw rap no tsitneics lanrete na si gnuJ ,ylurT .segairram ruo neve dna ,sllaw moorhtab ot ,selcitrap cimotabus ot ,rats a ot ,retaw fo elddup a morf ,erehwyreve yllaretil ti eviecrep ew ,epytehcra na si ti esuaceB .ti eviecrep ot elba eb ton yllacisyhp dluow ew ,epytehcra na t’nsaw ti fI .epytehcra na eb tsuM yrtemmys taht ees ew ,sepytehcra s’gnuJ ot kcab su gnignirB

.ecnetsixe namuh fo tecaf yreve sessapmocne yrtemmys ,yrtemoeg dna ,arbegla ,yroeht puorg gnisU

.artceps rieht dnatsrednu ot spuorG tnioP rieht esu stsitneics erehw ,edirolhcartet nobrac ekil selucelom ni tneserp era seirtemmys rehgih nevE .rehcsE CM fo stnirp eht ro ,arbmaH-lA ta ecalaP eht ekil secalp ni tneserp era seirtemmys rehgiH

.amgis rettel keerG eht yb detneserper si siht ,snoitaton seilfneohcs nI .ti fo edis rehtie no segami rorrim sah taht ,su hguorht seog taht enalp a s’ereht taht snaem sihT .yrtemmys laretalib evah slamina su fo tsom ,yllacigoloiB

.yroehT puorG si siht ,denilcni yllacitamehtam eht roF .tcejbus taht fo snoitamrofsnart rehto lla ekam ot denibmoc eb nac hcihw snoitamrofsnart tselpmis eht yb debircsed eb nac yrtemmys stcejbus a fo ytilatot ehT .stnemele yrtemmys lardehasoci dna ,lardehatco ,lardehartet ees osla thgim uoy ,noitcefrep cinotalp fo nevaeh a ni gnitsixe hpares a er’uoy fI .sexa wercs dna ,sretnec noisrevni ,sexa snoitator ,senalp rorrim :era stnemele yrtemmys ro snoitamrofsnart yrtemmys ehT

.ebuc ’dlo‘ eht morf elbahsiugnitsidni eb dluow ebuc ’wen‘ eht dna s*09 ti etator dluoc uoy ,stniop sti fo eno no gnidnats ebuc evah uoy fi ,ecnatsni roF .egnahc a gnicneirepxe tuohtiw )sixa na dnuora ti gnitator ekil( ti no ’noitamrofsnart‘ emos mrofrep uoy fi yrtemmys sah gnihtemoS

.yaw emas eht yllaitnesse ti esu lla yeht tub ,yrtemmys tuoba klat yteicos fo strap tnereffid eht hguorht lla elpoep od ylno toN .secrof lacirtemmysa ro lacirtemmys tuoba klat thgim tsigetarts a ro ,tcartnoc a ni yrtemmys tuoba klat yam reywal A .selcitrap fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsicisyhp dna ,selucelom fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsimehC .smsinagro fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsigoloiB .skrow rieht ni yrtemmys tuoba klat stsitrA .gniht gnitseretni dna ynnuf a si yrtemmyS

.yrtemmys tuoba klat annaw I

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
One of my balls is bigger than the other so im not symmetrical

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh uh Pythagorean theorem, quantum, center of gravity, tesseract, parabola, I HAVE SAID POWERFUL MATH WORDS KNEEL BEFORE YOURE GOD! :downsbravo:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Most humans don't have perfect facial symmetry and the ones that do or are close to it tend to be regarded as exceptionally beautiful.

All elves however have perfect symmetry which is yet another reason they're superior to humans.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Starfish, or sea stars, have radial symmetry, and are either more or less beautiful than humans.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
one boob is always bigger than another boob because of your heart

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OMFG FURRY posted:

one boob is always bigger than another boob because of your heart

It’s cool when strippers can make one to clockwise and the other one go counterclockwise, it’s like gently caress yeah she’s getting math done. :yosbutt:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Most humans don't have perfect facial symmetry and the ones that do or are close to it tend to be regarded as exceptionally beautiful.

All elves however have perfect symmetry which is yet another reason they're superior to humans.

Elves are just bastardized versions of orcs, whom are symmetrically asymmetrical

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
symmetry is OK i guess but have you heard of SUPERsymmetry?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
SymmetryrtemmyS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it may be posted by an insane person but that first reply's definitely top tier

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

https://www.browserling.com/tools/text-reverse

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Whoa

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

racecar

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
go hang a salami, im a lasagna hog!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
lid off a daffodil

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

rib kid. beautiful human or the most beautiful human? discuss.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Symmetry is not defacto an archetype, just because its common. Also :lol: at Marx being a scientist.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
some day mother will die and I'll get the money

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

We find symmetrical faces more attractive they say and im inclined to agree

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The_Continental posted:

drat, I had something for this but then I had to pledge to the mods not to post gross stuff anymore...

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I thought he kinda looked like a chipmunk even before you did this to him

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Daikloktos posted:

drat, I had something for this but then I had to pledge to the mods not to post gross stuff anymore...

hey everyone, ridicule this lame rule follower

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

china bot posted:

some day mother will die and I'll get the money

you son of a bitch

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
you know i didn't want to believe it, but judging by the reception of the symmetry thread vs the asymmetry thread i am forced to conclude the scientists were right and the subconscious bias for 'order' prevails.

that, or The_Continental really half arsed the asymmetry thread by comparison.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Strumpie posted:

you know i didn't want to believe it, but judging by the reception of the symmetry thread vs the asymmetry thread i am forced to conclude the scientists were right and the subconscious bias for 'order' prevails.

that, or The_Continental really half arsed the asymmetry thread by comparison.

i mean sure its easy to find differences when you start comparing things

edit: I'm also crushing it in the posts to views ratio. posting is basically a game of cs:go to me anyway

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

SYM METRY

https://i.imgur.com/Tytjygy.mp4

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Bronze Fonz posted:

xraM htiw rap no tsitneics lanrete na si gnuJ ,ylurT .segairram ruo neve dna ,sllaw moorhtab ot ,selcitrap cimotabus ot ,rats a ot ,retaw fo elddup a morf ,erehwyreve yllaretil ti eviecrep ew ,epytehcra na si ti esuaceB .ti eviecrep ot elba eb ton yllacisyhp dluow ew ,epytehcra na t’nsaw ti fI .epytehcra na eb tsuM yrtemmys taht ees ew ,sepytehcra s’gnuJ ot kcab su gnignirB

.ecnetsixe namuh fo tecaf yreve sessapmocne yrtemmys ,yrtemoeg dna ,arbegla ,yroeht puorg gnisU

.artceps rieht dnatsrednu ot spuorG tnioP rieht esu stsitneics erehw ,edirolhcartet nobrac ekil selucelom ni tneserp era seirtemmys rehgih nevE .rehcsE CM fo stnirp eht ro ,arbmaH-lA ta ecalaP eht ekil secalp ni tneserp era seirtemmys rehgiH

.amgis rettel keerG eht yb detneserper si siht ,snoitaton seilfneohcs nI .ti fo edis rehtie no segami rorrim sah taht ,su hguorht seog taht enalp a s’ereht taht snaem sihT .yrtemmys laretalib evah slamina su fo tsom ,yllacigoloiB

.yroehT puorG si siht ,denilcni yllacitamehtam eht roF .tcejbus taht fo snoitamrofsnart rehto lla ekam ot denibmoc eb nac hcihw snoitamrofsnart tselpmis eht yb debircsed eb nac yrtemmys stcejbus a fo ytilatot ehT .stnemele yrtemmys lardehasoci dna ,lardehatco ,lardehartet ees osla thgim uoy ,noitcefrep cinotalp fo nevaeh a ni gnitsixe hpares a er’uoy fI .sexa wercs dna ,sretnec noisrevni ,sexa snoitator ,senalp rorrim :era stnemele yrtemmys ro snoitamrofsnart yrtemmys ehT

.ebuc ’dlo‘ eht morf elbahsiugnitsidni eb dluow ebuc ’wen‘ eht dna s*09 ti etator dluoc uoy ,stniop sti fo eno no gnidnats ebuc evah uoy fi ,ecnatsni roF .egnahc a gnicneirepxe tuohtiw )sixa na dnuora ti gnitator ekil( ti no ’noitamrofsnart‘ emos mrofrep uoy fi yrtemmys sah gnihtemoS

.yaw emas eht yllaitnesse ti esu lla yeht tub ,yrtemmys tuoba klat yteicos fo strap tnereffid eht hguorht lla elpoep od ylno toN .secrof lacirtemmysa ro lacirtemmys tuoba klat thgim tsigetarts a ro ,tcartnoc a ni yrtemmys tuoba klat yam reywal A .selcitrap fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsicisyhp dna ,selucelom fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsimehC .smsinagro fo yrtemmys eht tuoba klat stsigoloiB .skrow rieht ni yrtemmys tuoba klat stsitrA .gniht gnitseretni dna ynnuf a si yrtemmyS

.yrtemmys tuoba klat annaw I

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Inverted Icon posted:

Jung’s archetypes

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If you are perfectly symmetrical you may have a medical condition called situs ambiguus are are probably dead.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The_Continental posted:

Dwawd Johmhol in JUMMUL sounds like a cert for best foreign-language film at next year's Oscars

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Symmetry is a beautiful thing, op :wom:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
A completely empty universe would have perfect symmetry in all aspects, and so be maximally beautiful.
This beauty could only be perceived by the introduction of an observer, which would destroy the symmetry.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
unless the observer was the empty universe itself

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Or unless the observer was an elf

Adbot