Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Kyanka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Kyanka teamed up with director Michael Addis to make the documentary Heckler, which explores the increasingly combative relationship between artists and their audience.

Chewbecca

Ok so far it's actually really good, lots of big names comedians talking about their experience with heckling including David Cross, Arsenio Hall and Maria Bamford!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Huh?

Chewbecca

ITT I'm watching The Heckler: everyone's a critic starring Richard "Lowtax" kyanka

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Chewbecca posted:

ITT I'm watching The Heckler: everyone's a critic starring Richard "Lowtax" kyanka

Goodness gracious

Khanstant
why the heckler r u doing this

Chewbecca

lowtax is loving young

Chewbecca

I'd never actually got to see Uwe punch Lowtax in the face before, so that was fun I guess

Yinlock

Chewbecca posted:

lowtax is loving young

there's so much to unpack here but it's byob so i'm left saying that sure is a picture of lowtax

Yinlock

oh wait here's a harmless one: where on earth is he hanging out there

Chewbecca

Yinlock posted:

oh wait here's a harmless one: where on earth is he hanging out there

He was in Vancouver about to be punched by Uwe Bolle

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Is this too early in the thread for real talk?

I barely know how I work let alone any other human being. And I am sure there are those better suited to lend advice on how to deal with such situations. And certainly he is not the victim in all this. And maybe a concern over him hurting himself is out of place when not balanced with concern for the actual victims.

But I feel like we need to tread a careful balance between ensuring abusers get what they deserve in the interests of sending a message that such behaviour won't be tolerated, and actively sending this fellow into an actual pit of despair. Not for his own benefit mind you. But because presumably he will be alive for a while and there is a chance some other female may get involved with him. We want to send a message that there is a point to him getting help (although not that getting help means he has no responsibility); and that this point is to be a better human being, not to get back being a passable semi-public figure because honestly this might never happen and maybe shouldn't even if he somehow ends up a pillar of the community and the world's most prominent anti-domestic violence advocate.

Chewbecca

Dude I'm just watching The Heckler: everyone's a critic starring Richard "Lowtax" kyanka, I legit don't know what any of those words mean

nut

im not a critic

nut

-richard nixon

Chewbecca

nut posted:

im not a critic

It was a really thoughtful movie, and I felt bad for Jamie Kennedy. One blogger in particular was being a dick right to his face and it was so awkward and sad?

Goes to show being chill is the best way to be :byob1:

nut

Chewbecca posted:

It was a really thoughtful movie, and I felt bad for Jamie Kennedy. One blogger in particular was being a dick right to his face and it was so awkward and sad?

Goes to show being chill is the best way to be :byob1:

u think that's bad u should've seen what happened to him when he tried 2 go for a drive down dallas

Chewbecca

nut posted:

u think that's bad u should've seen what happened to him when he tried 2 go for a drive down dallas

:stonkhat:

Macnult

Watching a still from The Heckler: everyone’s a critic starring Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka

Evil Bob

Heres the thing, malibus most wanted was an objectively good film

-me, a critic

frump truck

hello... again!

it stinks! it stinks! it stinks!

- the critic

The_Rob

musicals are garbage
I remember the movie wasn’t bad except for the Jamie Kennedy stuff. like I get what they were going for but I don’t think anyone respected Kennedy at all and it showed. so whatever point they were trying to make was lost because nobody cared about being a dick to him.

Evil Bob

Evil Bob posted:

Heres the thing, malibus most wanted was an objectively good film

-me, a critic

this review is garbage and this critic has no idea what they are talking about. they may as well quit critiquing and start selling insurance door to door because there is no future for them in this industry.

-me, a critic critic

Chewbecca

The_Rob posted:

I remember the movie wasn’t bad except for the Jamie Kennedy stuff. like I get what they were going for but I don’t think anyone respected Kennedy at all and it showed. so whatever point they were trying to make was lost because nobody cared about being a dick to him.

It was still so sad, he just looked so hurt and it was cringey

They looked all :smuggo: getting him irl and ugh

Coolness Averted

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chewbecca posted:

It was still so sad, he just looked so hurt and it was cringey

They looked all :smuggo: getting him irl and ugh

yeah, like I don't think the guy is funny but it sucks that people can be that mean about it.
I always bring up notable not good comic book artist rob liefeld who had the signature 90's style, and still gets work today while still not being particularly good at drawing non-fist hands or feet so often puts them outta frame or behind things. The guy was literally a teenager who sent some decent fan art (especially considering he had 0 actual training) and then was offered work by the major studios, and was such an incredibly hard worker who consistently could get stuff done he got a massive career, and his art was everywhere. He continues to turn stuff in, and in general is a pretty pleasant person. Nerds are obsessed with getting zings in at cons or whatever though when he's on panels or signing stuff.

Like he's objectively not a good artist, and it kinda sucks that instead of getting encouragement to go to art school he became a 'rockstar' of an era we're all embarrassed by, but it's not fair that he's our collective punching bag for it.

Khanstant
at the same time, dude's been paid to make art for most of his adult life and despite being a punching bag, still gets work and still has fans.

Also his ugly art style back then is unique as hell and that alone makes it ripe for eventual re-appropriation or re-visiting eventually. Like how sometimes old 80s and 90s anime that look fugly as hell back then are actually pretty dope today, even if it's often just in the form of some small loop in some kind of "wave" music video.

google THIS

I think y'all mean a punching POUCH

The_Rob

musicals are garbage

Khanstant posted:

at the same time, dude's been paid to make art for most of his adult life and despite being a punching bag, still gets work and still has fans.

Also his ugly art style back then is unique as hell and that alone makes it ripe for eventual re-appropriation or re-visiting eventually. Like how sometimes old 80s and 90s anime that look fugly as hell back then are actually pretty dope today, even if it's often just in the form of some small loop in some kind of "wave" music video.

I mean truly when I think about comics in the 90’s I immediately think of Rob Liefeld art. he legit defined an entire era of comics and there’s something to be said about that.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
i keep reading the thread title as tim hecker

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Slumpy
The Heckler stars Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka and its being watched by Chewbacca. There is nothing to unpack. We are simply here for the ride.

slumpy

Chewbecca

Slumpy posted:

The Heckler stars Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka and its being watched by Chewbacca. There is nothing to unpack. We are simply here for the ride.

It was very good and I recommend watching it. It's got lots of big names comedians and insightful commentary. The bit with uwe boll made me sad cos lowtax and the other bloggers were so young, and probably a bit naive. I didn't like that part really.

My takeaways were:

Heckling is bad
Comedians have feelings
Early 2000s bloggers were sometimes mean for the sake of it
Lowtax was a good looking guy and should keep his hair short
Early internet bloggers should not get in the ring with uwe boll

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah, like I don't think the guy is funny but it sucks that people can be that mean about it.
I always bring up notable not good comic book artist rob liefeld who had the signature 90's style, and still gets work today while still not being particularly good at drawing non-fist hands or feet so often puts them outta frame or behind things. The guy was literally a teenager who sent some decent fan art (especially considering he had 0 actual training) and then was offered work by the major studios, and was such an incredibly hard worker who consistently could get stuff done he got a massive career, ancd his art was everywhere. He continues to turn stuff in, and in general is a pretty pleasant person. Nerds are obsessed with getting zings in at cons or whatever though when he's on panels or signing stuff.

Like he's objectively not a good artist, and it kinda sucks that instead of getting encouragement to go to art school he became a 'rockstar' of an era we're all embarrassed by, but it's not fair that he's our collective punching bag for it.

Im not sure art school would have helped. It sets an ok foundation and makes you work, but the dude's been doing art for decades and he still can't draw. However, I am happy that he gets to do what he loves and is good natured about it.

Slumpy

Chewbecca posted:

It was very good and I recommend watching it. It's got lots of big names comedians and insightful commentary. The bit with uwe boll made me sad cos lowtax and the other bloggers were so young, and probably a bit naive. I didn't like that part really.

My takeaways were:

Heckling is bad
Comedians have feelings
Early 2000s bloggers were sometimes mean for the sake of it
Early internet bloggers should not get in the ring with uwe boll

i'll check it out chew. my understanding of the uwe boll thing was that he took a fall on purpose or some poo poo was there more to it? i know lowtax is a hosed up dude but yeah he was sorta good lookin back then.

also yeah heckling is bad, it takes a lot of courage to do comedy irl

slumpy

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
lowtax bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Evil Bob

Chewbecca posted:

did not expect an objective opinion of lowtax’s appearance circa 2007 itt

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
stalin was also ridiculously good looking back in the day

Nosfereefer

at least stalin knew how to deal w/ hecklers

Coolness Averted

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nosfereefer posted:

stalin was also ridiculously good looking back in the day

Nah, photography was just really bad so didn't catch stuff like his pock marks. It's like some of the instagram filters were already baked into most photos For a Georgian with a bum arm and webbed toes he certainly got it tho.

Slumpy posted:

i'll check it out chew. my understanding of the uwe boll thing was that he took a fall on purpose or some poo poo was there more to it? i know lowtax is a hosed up dude but yeah he was sorta good lookin back then.

also yeah heckling is bad, it takes a lot of courage to do comedy irl
The version of things Rich and another dude who was challenged always said was that Uwe specifically only wanted shlubs like Rich and didn't follow up/allow folks with fight experience, and kinda bamboozled said schlubs by telling them it was gonna be a fake PR thing and he wasn't gonna rough 'em up, just put on a show, but then actually beat the poo poo outta them -Which kinda meshes with the footage of Kyanka doing the old comedy boxing routine until he takes one to the face.
Of course, who knows how much of it was Uwe going as easy as he could, or something like "I said it was gonna be fake, and I did pull punches, but when the guy tried to do a comedy bit I HAD to lay him out, otherwise the whole thing would look fake"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'd totally go down in one punch to a semipro boxer too, even if the dude was just trying to do a love tap. I am a soft boy.