Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
More blasphemy from me: Rikiya is fine but forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Haven't visited this thread for a while since I finished 0 and started Kiwami last year. Got about a third into Kiwami and then dropped it for other games, recently got back into it and put the time in. I'm a Yakuza neophyte, these two being the only ones I've played in the series, but I really loved Y0 so I'm riding the Kiryu train as long as they keep releasing games on the PC.

I'm coming up on the end of Kiwami and while I preferred 0 by far, I've enjoyed my time with it. The side missions definitely feel a lot less wacky and there feels like there's been a lot more grind for things that aren't that interesting in the skill trees, all of which I've maxed out except for Dragon which I'm building up. No spoilers, but how does Kiwami 2 compare in these regards? Also, just out of curiosity, how faithful is Kiwami to the original game when it comes to progression, sidequests, story etc?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
So, as a PC player, should I not be screaming for 3-6 to get ported over if 3 sucks so bad?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As a PC player, I am screaming for all of them!!!

Kiwami 2 has a totally different progression system from 0 and K1. It does involve a little grinding, but it features more qualitative leaps instead of tiny bonuses. It's the best progression system of the 3 imo

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Mordiceius posted:

More blasphemy from me: Rikiya is fine but forgettable.

I already tore off my shirt to fight you over the kids, I need a little more time to put my shirt back on before we go again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A good poster posted:

So, as a PC player, should I not be screaming for 3-6 to get ported over if 3 sucks so bad?

I'm incredibly biased because I really really really disliked 3, but there are a ton of people in this thread that really do like 3.

A lot of my problems with three stem from how the story is very awkwardly paced and the combat is bad (every just endlessly blocks).

Basically - Y3 needed the Kiwami treatment to adjust the story's pacing and fix the broken combat. It's critical to the overall plot as a ton of characters get introduced that will be with you for the rest of the series.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

A good poster posted:

Even putting aside my strong feelings on 3 (it's good and important for the narrative at large), I wouldn't discount the entire rest of the saga just on 3's quality. If it's that dire just play on easy/watch the story on yt or something and run along to the others. Juggle dudes in the air as Akiyama busting out DMC kicks, tear street signs out of concrete as Saejima before hearing his perfect rendition of Rouge of Love, race a loving cab as Kiryu blasting Daytona music the whole time. There's a whole franchise beyond the apparent killing fields of Okinawa that is Yakuza 3.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

My point here is even if you don't like my cherished children and my boy Rikiya that shouldn't stop you from seeing the rest of this incredible idiot brigade of a series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HebrewMagic posted:

Stop rating fav to least liked, from now on we rate on quality of the sidekick character

In this regard Rikiya takes the lead for 3 right out the gate

do youda or yuki count as sidekick characters

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there was a Yakuza game with no plot and no fights. I just wanna wonder around and eat Japanese food.

Edit: Have you lads played The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, I ain't gonna say anymore other than that it's my favorite game of all time, and it has huge Yakuza/ River city Ransom energy

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 7, 2020

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

It's on my to play list but I've been busy digging through Tojo goons

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

A good poster posted:

I mean, i played it on Hard because I thought I could nope out at any point like 0/K1/K2/6 and then because I thought the combat would smooth out (it didn’t) so my experience is colored accordingly, but you can just play on Easy and blitz that poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HebrewMagic posted:

It's on my to play list but I've been busy digging through Tojo goons

You'll enjoy it my dude, I've never had a game shred my heart like that. Beat the whole thing in one sitting. I physically couldn't put it down

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't like 3, but fans of the series should still play it (on easy while ignoring most of the side content).

i've got absolutely no interest in ever playing it again, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

All the 3 hate makes me sad as I have good memories of playing the original release and thoroughly enjoyed the remaster revisit, but i can understand ranking it low amongst the series especially coming off of 0 and 2. I still think every game in the series is great, with the least enjoyable one being Kiwami 1. 5 should be experienced, 4 is kinda ho hum but worth it for the new characters.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HebrewMagic posted:

Stop rating fav to least liked, from now on we rate on quality of the sidekick character

In this regard Rikiya takes the lead for 3 right out the gate

Who counts as a sidekick? Bc Nagumo and Yuta basically win outright between the two of them, but I'm a big fan of Baba, I just wish he'd got his final showdown with his aniki.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Of course all your favorites count for this, cherish those memories with your pals

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
3 has Rikiya who is briefly TOP TIER sidekick. Mikio is a good boy but doesn't rate.

4 doesn't shine in terms of sidekicks, unless you count Hana, in which case #1. If we can count villain sidekicks then Kido rates in my top 5!

5 has Baba who is a superstar sidekick but his plot resolves pretty badly. Takasugi maybe doesn't count as a sidekick bc he only fights in cutscenes with vehicles, but he is also top tier. I rate them both below Hana. Akiyama also is Haruka's sidekick for this game, he rates just below Baba.

6, Nagumo, Yuta and the rest of the crew are incredible sidekicks, but Nagumo obviously takes first place. I rate him above Rikiya. Yuta too, although they're voiced by the same guy, Yuta is more of a character.

Nagumo is my favourite, I'd die for that idiot boy

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Kaito in Judge Eyes is top 3 at least though

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

screaden posted:

Kaito in Judge Eyes is top 3 at least though

Oh yeah both him and Sugiura rate real high

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I get why 3 isn't popular, but I loved the save the orphanage plot, Kiryu trying to be a good dad, and the okinawan yakuza. Also, I played the original 1 and 2 so 3's felt modern compared to those and I have a high tolerance for bad combat. It was a huge relief to just have camera control, less janky combat, and mini-games like karaoke again.

Speaking of bad combat, I started Dead Souls and Haruka was immediately kidnapped in the intro. :discourse:

eating only apples posted:

3 has Rikiya who is briefly TOP TIER sidekick. Mikio is a good boy but doesn't rate.

4 doesn't shine in terms of sidekicks, unless you count Hana, in which case #1. If we can count villain sidekicks then Kido rates in my top 5!

5 has Baba who is a superstar sidekick but his plot resolves pretty badly. Takasugi maybe doesn't count as a sidekick bc he only fights in cutscenes with vehicles, but he is also top tier. I rate them both below Hana. Akiyama also is Haruka's sidekick for this game, he rates just below Baba.

6, Nagumo, Yuta and the rest of the crew are incredible sidekicks, but Nagumo obviously takes first place. I rate him above Rikiya. Yuta too, although they're voiced by the same guy, Yuta is more of a character.

Nagumo is my favourite, I'd die for that idiot boy

1 has Haruka. Doesn't fight, but she is good at gambling and makes Kiryu take a pic in the purikura machine.

I love my digital daughter.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Peragus posted:

1 has Haruka. Doesn't fight, but she is good at gambling and makes Kiryu take a pic in the purikura machine.

I love my digital daughter.

We all love our digital daughter

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

HebrewMagic posted:

We all love our digital daughter

Do we love her more than Majima, who is everywhere, including in our hearts (maybe literally)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Baseball in Yakuza 5 seems overly and unnecessarily complicated. Why have four different buttons you can press when when you can just pick one button to use, follow the ball with that, and never worry about the other buttons?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how does yakuza 3's pacing compare to kiwami's, where the story is temporarily put on pause as kiryu resolves the two main side characters' parenting problems

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I wanted to like Nagumo but he was loving horrific constantly to Kiyomi to the point of deciding that she, a woman he wasn't even dating, had betrayed him terribly with her crime of having dated another man years before they even met

All of 6 had this bizarre terrible theme of women being property that have to be passed on to another man to look after or whatever, it was very depressing and really kinda put a damper on the whole game for me.

Anyway best sidekick convo begins and ends with Takasugi prove me wrong :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish there was a Yakuza game with no plot and no fights. I just wanna wonder around and eat Japanese food.
I was eyeing that 51 Clubhouse Games when it was announced thinking welp if it's got Pachinko there goes half my motivation to pick up new Yakuza games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kojiro posted:

I wanted to like Nagumo but he was loving horrific constantly to Kiyomi to the point of deciding that she, a woman he wasn't even dating, had betrayed him terribly with her crime of having dated another man years before they even met

All of 6 had this bizarre terrible theme of women being property that have to be passed on to another man to look after or whatever, it was very depressing and really kinda put a damper on the whole game for me.

Anyway best sidekick convo begins and ends with Takasugi prove me wrong :colbert:

If sidekicks don't have to accompany you for the entire game then Kaoru's the best IMO.

0 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 3

I'm ranking these on gameplay honestly, I just do not care for the Dragon Engine at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaius Marius posted:

Edit: Have you lads played The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, I ain't gonna say anymore other than that it's my favorite game of all time, and it has huge Yakuza/ River city Ransom energy

I played it but the lack of any sort of direction made me drop it pretty quick

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

Funnily enough that is most of Shenmue 1. At least the better parts, because I've always hated the fighting in that series.

Yakuza being the games that I call "series that plays how people wanted Shenmue to play"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gaius Marius posted:

play shenmue or just pick a yakuza game, load up premium adventure and equip one of those of fight canceling accessories.

i have friends of ringo on my switch, i played the intro bit, seems cool but i guess i got distracted by the mountain of other games. oh and it doesnt look that great on my projector, did they patch in any scanline mode? the really raw pixels look a mess and not... how that retro look actually looked back in the day, that kinda put me off it. looks great on the switch handheld tho, maybe ill just play it that way during these heatwaves.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I'm coming up on the end of Kiwami and while I preferred 0 by far, I've enjoyed my time with it. The side missions definitely feel a lot less wacky and there feels like there's been a lot more grind for things that aren't that interesting in the skill trees, all of which I've maxed out except for Dragon which I'm building up. No spoilers, but how does Kiwami 2 compare in these regards? Also, just out of curiosity, how faithful is Kiwami to the original game when it comes to progression, sidequests, story etc?
Kiwami 2 is a better game all around- the combat's more fun and the new engine looks really good. Yakuza 2 was a better game than Yakuza 1 to start with (weirder sidequests, larger world) and the update did it justice.

From memory, the biggest additions in Kiwami compared to OG Y1 are the four combat styles, Majima Everywhere, Nishiki's backstory and slot car racing. Komaki's sidequest was different because Dragon Style wasn't a separate thing. There were also more hostesses to date in the original, although you didn't get a Sexy FMV as a reward at the end.

The actual main story and most of the sidequests are the same though and just reuse the old script.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Inferior posted:

Kiwami 2 is a better game all around- the combat's more fun and the new engine looks really good. Yakuza 2 was a better game than Yakuza 1 to start with (weirder sidequests, larger world) and the update did it justice.

Yeah, drat. I just bought Kiwami 2 without looking anything up and I'm really surprised at the presentation bump, I wasn't expecting so many things to be overhauled. I thought they'd keep most of the things the same but this is a huge step up.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

derra posted:

My totally objective and correct ranking (again, I recommend the whole series):
4 < K2 < K1 < 3 < 5 = J < 0 = 6

Edited to add Judgement

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Yeah he starts off poo poo, but it's the source of his constant self-ownage and he grows out of it as the game progresses.

The supporting cast in 6 is crazy strong. Other games have a great character or two; 6 has a whole crew AND Someya.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

derra posted:

Yeah he starts off poo poo, but it's the source of his constant self-ownage and he grows out of it as the game progresses.
Kinda? A little bit? Him "growing out of it" didn't mean apologising to her or anything, instead he just lectured her about how to be a good mother. Wasn't wild on it!

quote:

Someya

gently caress this guy in particular! I saw what they were going for with him but drat it did not land with me. Any time your dying words are you having to swear you didn't hit your daughter because you sure did beat the poo poo out of your wife, it's not really gonna fill me with sadness over your death is all

Just so I'm not being completely negative about 6- Hirose owns, Matsunaga owns- I still had a good time with it overall but in an already pretty misogynist series of games it's easily the worst offender.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Majima committing domestic violence was another weird choice. His ex-wife saying, "He had never hit me before" was jarring, and a big thing to just put in your narrative and then never remark upon. I feel like there are some things you should only put in your story if you're willing to explore them and give them time and examination, otherwise they come off flippant.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2020

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I had a dream that 3-6 were announced for PC last night. :(

Dame da ne~~

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

3-6 is amateur hour. I want the Isshin series to get a PC port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

3-6 is amateur hour. I want the Isshin series to get a PC port.

I'll take that and a translation of the gatcha game too please