Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
You know what they are, for those who don't know, they look like this

some sort of rejected Sackboys who abandoned their sack skin and instead went for a plastic body

Anyway, I always see them in stores, particularly in comic book stores. I feel they're kinda tacky, and the forced, "copy paste" body makes them look uninspired.

Oh but you will say "super deformed!" and "chibi!" Well no, they can still be varied in designs despite that. Compare one to say, a nendoroid.

And I'm not even going for figma or figuarts.

They're not even huggable like plushies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They're cute. Look at Vegeta. His head is big like a baby's.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

it's so you know immediately who the children inside adult bodies are.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the large surface area makes them easier to hot glue if you're an oozer

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I don't know, OP, I would've never seen them if it wasn't for your post?

Check out the dildong store instead next time.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
they cost like ten cents to make so they just need to sell one of them to make money off making 200 of them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They are like beanie babies but for Millennials OP. HTH.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's a beanie baby?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Because they are cute. They don't have IT Crowd ones so gently caress em tho

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wonder if anyone ever shoved one up their butt hole??? Could you imagine?????????

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's so people whose lives revolve around the media they consume can buy things that give them isolated moments of joy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think it's like Stargate Atlanta in that you have to be on the spectrum to enjoy funkopops. They have the same goddamn booth every year at NY Toy Fair and I hate them and Doctor Albert Funko can go gently caress himself. There's nothing so lovely that they won't license and jam into their horrible aesthetic. Also I think we did this thread at least once before.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

fucko poop

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it feels like if this was the early 2000s there'd be multiple sites devoted to elaborate funco pop figure torture dioramas

or are they too expensive? are these things more than like 5 bucks?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

kntfkr posted:

I think it's like Stargate Atlanta in that you have to be on the spectrum to enjoy funkopops. They have the same goddamn booth every year at NY Toy Fair and I hate them and Doctor Albert Funko can go gently caress himself. There's nothing so lovely that they won't license and jam into their horrible aesthetic. Also I think we did this thread at least once before.

I buy nothing ever and never will but I assume they are literally designed specifically to twang the "babycute" spot in human brains.

Big head compared to body, big wide apart eyes, frail neck. So it's something we have a preconceived visual image of made infantile.

That's it, but it's genius enough to work

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
I bet the devlopment of Funko Pop looked something like this:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Signifiers of an incurious mind.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My funko collection consists of Dustin and Barb from Stranger Things and Deneyeryiys Targheriran from GoT. They’re the small sized ones. I don’t really know where they came from I just have them somehow.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
They look so horrible, there's a store in the mall my gym is in that has just huge stacks of them taking up like a third of the display space, it's insane. They must sell pretty well but I can't see any appeal whatsoever to them. I feel like nobody is stupid enough to think it's going to be another beanie baby thing where they're worth a lot to a small specific group of lunatics some day but that's the only explanation i can think of.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They also perform a social good in that if you don't collect them you get a small self-esteem boost.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

no one is safe from the funko pop menace

not even video games reviewers:

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
They're $10 and there are a zillion of them, I'm kind of jealous of people who actually like the way they look.

Some characters don't really have eyes so they can't just do funkoface.3ds and those always end up being the least offensive to look at.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Yeah these are lame af like kitsch but for dumb millienizoomers. I was talking to this girl I went to high school with and she was saying how her and her husband have a living room wall of these tacky things and I’m like WHY??? I’d be mortified.

cheap plastic pop culture junk is like fucjing catnip for nerds

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
In another thread there was mention of one worth $2500 so I looked up what the most valuable ones are and now I'm depressed.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
They are just another pointless waste of money just like beanie babies.

You can hug them as you die lonely I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Flimf posted:

Whoa they really nailed it on making a lookalike.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

I have no idea the appeal of these goddamn things either. They're the kind of thing that I could see putting on my desk or a shelf if I got it for free with a videogame or something, but I would never ever pay actual, could spend on food or alcohol or rent, dollars for one.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 7, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
some people have poo poo wrong with their brains thats real bad OP

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Their Rock Candy line is cute, but they don't make nearly as many as the regular, ugly ones.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 7, 2020

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

In another thread there was mention of one worth $2500 so I looked up what the most valuable ones are and now I'm depressed.

Share with the class you tease

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
You have plenty of nerds earning upwards of 100k per year, what else are they gonna spend their money on

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Ugh I have too much spare money and it goes off so quickly

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DickParasite posted:

Share with the class you tease

Well I guess it mostly involves feelings of really low self worth and hopelessness about the future. There's a general lack of motivation which has a physical aspect to it. Like I don't want to do anything because I don't have any energy and I don't have any energy because I don't want to do anything. I kind of withdraw into myself and stop going out as much. When it gets really bad there are thoughts of self harm. It's something I've dealt with to some degree since I was a teenager but I usually have it pretty under control. Except when I see things like little plastic pieces of garbage that are worth thousands of dollars and I just can't understand it. It's like I'm an alien or something. Like wtf is going on is anything even real?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They aren't actually cute, they are butt loving ugly, BUT they're collectible AF and cheap so you can pick them up often, anytime you need a seratonin boost from retail therapy.

That's pretty much it. People buy them because it makes them feel good.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they were created so GBS posters can have yet another target to focus a weird amount of energy on hating with every fiber of their being

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Flimf posted:

That guy sure looks like he gave up.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They aren't actually cute, they are butt loving ugly, BUT they're collectible AF and cheap so you can pick them up often, anytime you need a seratonin boost from retail therapy.

That's pretty much it. People buy them because it makes them feel good.

Then these people vote and you end up with someone like Trump.

Because they are idiots.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well I guess it mostly involves feelings of really low self worth and hopelessness about the future. There's a general lack of motivation which has a physical aspect to it. Like I don't want to do anything because I don't have any energy and I don't have any energy because I don't want to do anything. I kind of withdraw into myself and stop going out as much. When it gets really bad there are thoughts of self harm. It's something I've dealt with to some degree since I was a teenager but I usually have it pretty under control. Except when I see things like little plastic pieces of garbage that are worth thousands of dollars and I just can't understand it. It's like I'm an alien or something. Like wtf is going on is anything even real?

You know what makes you briefly forget that gaping hole inside of you?

Buying things. Get on it champ.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 7, 2020

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

lalaland posted:

You have plenty of nerds earning upwards of 100k per year, what else are they gonna spend their money on

Security. I'm a jock so I'm always knocking the funko pops out of nerds' soft hands and then stuffing them into lockers(the nerds not the dolls).

Also I know a designer who went to go work at Funko Holdings LLC and if you're wondering if he has a tri-force tattoo......WELL, GUESS WHAT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Flimf posted:

Not even dead royalty