Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was the plateau of Leng, which even the mad author of the Necronomicon was reluctant to discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

so it's been a little over a year: what's the consensus on Us (2019, jordan peele)

instant classic? sophomore slump? good usage of "i got 5 on it"?

personally, i loved it. the imagery of the underground clone labs was incredibly evocative and obviously lupita nyong'o was fantastic

interesting to compare the class conflict angle of the tethered vs. the surface people with the other big class conflict movie of 2019: parasite

i thought the big twist was so obviously telegraphed that there was going to be a better one and i was very disappointed when we got that long rambling nonsense monologue that spells out a bunch of backstory that nobody asked for instead

aside from that i liked it although i wasnt blown away which is appropriately enough pretty much how i feel about get out incidentally much as was the case with get out i definitely get the impression that the movies very unsubtle message about the utter uselessness of performative gestures completely flew over the heads of the liberals who gushed for it the hardest

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I hated get out and thought Us was infinitely better of a film

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Aglet56 posted:

so it's been a little over a year: what's the consensus on Us (2019, jordan peele)

personally, i loved it. the imagery of the underground clone labs was incredibly evocative and obviously lupita nyong'o was fantastic

interesting to compare the class conflict angle of the tethered vs. the surface people with the other big class conflict movie of 2019: parasite

I thought Get Out was terrific ... had a mixed reaction to Us. I think it was more of a straightup modern horror film, that leaned into slasher territory, which I'm not a fan of these days. Great imagery, great acting, felt a baggy in the middle.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Aglet56 posted:

The imagery of a bunch of zombies in jumpsuits replicating a twee gesture from the 80s was delightfully eerie.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Zeroisanumber posted:

tbf so was saving private ryan

Yeah, I was just hyped for it and even saw it in the theatre because I was in Russia then. If you want a dumb action movie with soldiers charging German positions while on fire it's fine but that's not what I thought I was going to see.

parsehiscuit
Mar 25, 2013
The German film from 1993 about Stalingrad (also called Stalingrad) is another good one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another good 2019 class conflict movie is Knives Out

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

Jordan Peele slandered the mole children by portraying them as freaks and killers. There are hundreds of thousands of children enslaved in sex slavery underground right now, and the movie makes lighy of it. I hope President Trump can free them soon. #QAnon #TheGreatAwakening

I do wonder if the focus on tunnels being used for human trafficking in QAnon was inspired by the film. Conspiracy theories have a rich history of ripping off genre fiction.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

vyelkin posted:

Another good 2019 class conflict movie is Knives Out

they don't let the villain ever use an iphone because apple doesn't allow villains to use their products lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

nonathlon posted:

I thought Get Out was terrific ... had a mixed reaction to Us. I think it was more of a straightup modern horror film, that leaned into slasher territory, which I'm not a fan of these days. Great imagery, great acting, felt a baggy in the middle.

This is more or less my reaction to Us. The script felt like it was a first draft, written high, and no one had the chutzpah to tell a newly crowned golden boy to go back and make all these good ideas more coherent. Sophomore slump, definitely. I think history will be kind to it though, like it is to a lot of messy, excessive second outings.

E: also I’m pretty sure the present is kind to it, lol.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

both of jordan peeles movies are basically extended twilight zone episodes which isnt a bad thing necessarily it just makes it kind of weird how hes lauded as this amazing filmmaker when all he really has is an interesting script and concept that wasnt focus grouped to hell and back

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Some Guy TT posted:

both of jordan peeles movies are basically extended twilight zone episodes which isnt a bad thing necessarily it just makes it kind of weird how hes lauded as this amazing filmmaker when all he really has is an interesting script and concept that wasnt focus grouped to hell and back

because that alone and not being paced like a disney movie is enough to get you into the top 5% of things worth watching nowadays

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Peele seems to have a a genuine love of horror, as expressed by how every horror-themed Key & Peele sketch was solid gold. That combined with actual talent and access to resources seems like a rare recipe these days.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the recent high brow horror renaissance with peele and aster and things like the nick cage lovecraft movies and The Endless has been extremely my jam for the very very limited amount of desire for new horror I've had the last few years

I still need to watch midsommar but I'm years out and still don't think I can handle something that much about breakups and being a bad boyfriend especially after how intense hereditary was

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey you fuckers wanna see wwe's antifa faction https://streamable.com/48r7d8

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I have limited knowledge of wrestling, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Vince McMahon probably told the writers to make Antifa a bad guy faction, but the fans are going to love it and it'll make Antifa beloved among WWE fans.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zvahl posted:

the recent high brow horror renaissance with peele and aster and things like the nick cage lovecraft movies and The Endless has been extremely my jam for the very very limited amount of desire for new horror I've had the last few years

I still need to watch midsommar but I'm years out and still don't think I can handle something that much about breakups and being a bad boyfriend especially after how intense hereditary was

Midsommar was pretty good, def. intense but a bit predictable. The Ritual was better imo.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Midsommar was pretty good, def. intense but a bit predictable. The Ritual was better imo.

i had not heard of the ritual and that's an instant watch this weekend just bc of that beautiful run time

i used to wonder why people complained about runtimes for movies as a kid because i loved long poo poo but 93 minutes is where you fkn want to be for horror pacing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

I have limited knowledge of wrestling, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Vince McMahon probably told the writers to make Antifa a bad guy faction, but the fans are going to love it and it'll make Antifa beloved among WWE fans.

The only people that watch WWE anymore are boomers and redditors.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

the vast majority of modern horror movies are about a single parent witha child in a suburban house being attacked by the ghost from the ring

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

The only people that watch WWE anymore are boomers and redditors.

...and me

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Farm Frenzy posted:

the vast majority of modern horror movies are about a single parent witha child in a suburban house being attacked by the ghost from the ring

sale on bulk sadakos pays mixed dividends

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zvahl posted:

i had not heard of the ritual and that's an instant watch this weekend just bc of that beautiful run time

i used to wonder why people complained about runtimes for movies as a kid because i loved long poo poo but 93 minutes is where you fkn want to be for horror pacing

It's a similar "bunch of tourists go where they don't belong and poo poo goes south quick" setup but it's about guilt rather than relationships and overtly supernatural rather than semi-realistic.

Also yeah it's just where it needs to be lengthwise.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I def pick movies based on runtime. A couple nights ago I started watching the new Jumanji and just stopped it at the 90 minute mark. soul crushing stuff- they could have cut ten minutes just by editing lines that were being repeated from previous scenes

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

when I see that a movie is 87 minutes long

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why even watch a short movie just watch TV in that case. The longer and flabbier a movie is the better

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why even watch a short movie just watch TV in that case. The longer and flabbier a movie is the better

movies under 95 minutes are always the sweetest plums

Repo Man
Runtime: 93 minutes

Re-Animator
Runtime: 85 minutes

Django (1966)
Runtime: 91 minutes

From Beyond
Runtime: 85 minutes

The Brave Little Toaster
Runtime: 90 minutes

They Live
Runtime: 94 minutes

and so on

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

why even watch a movie in that case, why not watch a season long tv show

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

when I see that a movie is 87 minutes long

there are exceptions, but yeah, pretty much this

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Host on Shudder is like 54 minutes and GREATLY benefits from it. makes me hope that we see more filmmakers experiment with shorter run times, since a lot of these films are straight to VOD/made for streaming services

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
i like a long movie

need to finally watch Inland Empire, see ya next week

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I like the bad poltergeist remake where the dad’s all sad that he lost his job but had managed to purchase a home bigger than in the original movie and spends the first act of the film replacing a couple thousand dollars worth of his family’s electronics

although if I encountered a ghost in real life my first response would be to tell that motherfucker to keep away from the TV

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there will be blood is 158 min

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the irishman was over three hours long and im not convinced anyone actually watched it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Some Guy TT posted:

the irishman was over three hours long and im not convinced anyone actually watched it

i half watched it while playing switch iirc

coathat
May 21, 2007

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is 162 minutes making it the second longest animated film ever made.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i watched it and tbh it wasn't great and would honestly have been a better movie if a studio exec had been like "3 and a half hours marty? edit this down to a tight 120 and we'll see"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I watched Grand Prix recently. that's a three hour movie or thereabouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

90 minutes or three hours imo