Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about Ennis' Punisher which is kinda funny is that BORN basically implies he's the literal avatar of Death itself or some force of that nature, which is how he apparently just never runs out of gas.

MAX is kinda interesting because even Frank admits what he's doing isn't really helping at one point during The Slavers. He flat out tells the social worker lady that he'll naturally brutally slaughter this particular group of human traffickers but they'll be replaced by some other group in no time at all.

That being said Frank's reputation is somehow this thing of legend but nobody seems to respect it because sufficiently evil criminals keep piling into his neighborhood one after the other and it stretches credulity a bit that even the dumbest among them don't think "Maybe, just maybe- we could go to another metro area where there isn't a psychotic vigilante who has wiped out the mafia like 3 times over and killed anyone he ran into". You can only get away with "Yeah but this dude is CRAZY too!" or "This guy has a super grudge against Frank!" or "Oh these guys are foreigners who are so badass and from such a hard part of the world they don't give a poo poo" so many times even if you lampshade it. They do this pretty hard with Barracuda, when he mostly pointlessly kills Frank's British Special Forces buddy and he just flat out tells Barracuda "You're just some punk, and he's the most dangerous man to have ever lived."

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RareAcumen posted:

Does the Punisher contribute to the super big catastrophe events like alien invasions and etc or is he literally walking past invading Atlanteans to get in that warehouse and wipe out another faction of Kingpin goons?

He does and then some. During last year's big cosmic event, War of the Realms, the Punisher appeared in War of the Realms: Strikeforce, War of the Realms: Punisher, and the main event book itself. There is no explanation given for how he can be in three places at the same time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've long thought of the Person of Interest episode "The Devil's Share" as the only televised Punisher adaptation I will ever need.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fabricated posted:

The thing about Ennis' Punisher which is kinda funny is that BORN basically implies he's the literal avatar of Death itself or some force of that nature, which is how he apparently just never runs out of gas.

MAX is kinda interesting because even Frank admits what he's doing isn't really helping at one point during The Slavers. He flat out tells the social worker lady that he'll naturally brutally slaughter this particular group of human traffickers but they'll be replaced by some other group in no time at all.

That being said Frank's reputation is somehow this thing of legend but nobody seems to respect it because sufficiently evil criminals keep piling into his neighborhood one after the other and it stretches credulity a bit that even the dumbest among them don't think "Maybe, just maybe- we could go to another metro area where there isn't a psychotic vigilante who has wiped out the mafia like 3 times over and killed anyone he ran into". You can only get away with "Yeah but this dude is CRAZY too!" or "This guy has a super grudge against Frank!" or "Oh these guys are foreigners who are so badass and from such a hard part of the world they don't give a poo poo" so many times even if you lampshade it. They do this pretty hard with Barracuda, when he mostly pointlessly kills Frank's British Special Forces buddy and he just flat out tells Barracuda "You're just some punk, and he's the most dangerous man to have ever lived."

stuff like this always makes me interested in the dynamics of criminal underworlds in marvel/DC/mainstream cape stuff. i assume it all depends where you operate. like if your in new york. your more likely to fight spiderman or cops than the punisher and the former two have a better shot of either escaping or being taken to jail, than killed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

stuff like this always makes me interested in the dynamics of criminal underworlds in marvel/DC/mainstream cape stuff. i assume it all depends where you operate. like if your in new york. your more likely to fight spiderman or cops than the punisher and the former two have a better shot of either escaping or being taken to jail, than killed.

If you live in the Marvel Universe and run a criminal enterprise in New York City, you're just a total sucker. If you were to move to Albany or Buffalo your chances of getting roughed up by a superhero drop by 99%.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What superheroes oversee the cities/regions nobody gives a poo poo about? Like Detroit, Adelaide, and Milton Keynes?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JordanKai posted:

If you live in the Marvel Universe and run a criminal enterprise in New York City, you're just a total sucker. If you were to move to Albany or Buffalo your chances of getting roughed up by a superhero drop by 99%.

also i feel like opening up a criminal enterprise in any Major Cape city is bad not just because of capes but because some costumed villian will show up and try to hijack it. "our racket was going fine until some rear end in a top hat named the Cock Goblin showed up and brought down the heat".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What superheroes oversee the cities/regions nobody gives a poo poo about? Like Detroit, Adelaide, and Milton Keynes?

DC actually has a ton of heroes based in Detroit, strangely enough.

Marvel doesn't use it much but apparently at one point Iron Man was based there?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Marvel doesn't use it much but apparently at one point Iron Man was based there?

I think Firebrand is the only Marvel hero of note that is Detroit-based (or at least Detroit-born?)

Iron Man faced off against the villainous robot suit Detroit Steel at one point, if that counts. :v:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Scarlet Spider is in Austin, Texas.

Or at least he was, I haven't been keeping up. For all I know Kaine died and Cyclops is the new Scarlet Spider somehow.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mandalore on Call of Cthulhu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmC-Fb0Wuy8

Since Lovecraft is in the public domain (I think) I feel there's a lot you can do with the material without descending into cliche. Myself, I'd omit all the racism and add more loving. Also we need a protagonist who isn't every detective trope in the book.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it's called Bloodborne.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You can find a lot of decent ones scattered here and there, but a ton of them are also just as fan fictiony as you'd expect. Like the Shallows short story by John Langan was pretty good. I've heard good things about Colder War. The Dagon movie hbomb reviewed is rather amateur but actually has something to say.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

docbeard posted:

I've long thought of the Person of Interest episode "The Devil's Share" as the only televised Punisher adaptation I will ever need.

Had to Google to check if this was the one I suspected it was but yes. Agreed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

RareAcumen posted:

Does the Punisher contribute to the super big catastrophe events like alien invasions and etc or is he literally walking past invading Atlanteans to get in that warehouse and wipe out another faction of Kingpin goons?

I have a dumb obsession over how the Netflix Marvel shows are in the MCU, which means all these people lived in New York as it was being invaded by aliens, and neither that nor anything of the other fantastic stuff ever comes up except for a framed newspaper article.

The Punisher show had no fantasy or sci-fi elements at all. It tries to examine the excesses of the War on Terror and the military and intelligence apparatuses, and never brings up the recent incident where a Nazi cult was thoroughly enmeshed in an agency and tried to cull America with a fleet of flying death carriers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a dumb obsession over how the Netflix Marvel shows are in the MCU, which means all these people lived in New York as it was being invaded by aliens, and neither that nor anything of the other fantastic stuff ever comes up except for a framed newspaper article.

The Punisher show had no fantasy or sci-fi elements at all. It tries to examine the excesses of the War on Terror and the military and intelligence apparatuses, and never brings up the recent incident where a Nazi cult was thoroughly enmeshed in an agency and tried to cull America with a fleet of flying death carriers.

I think there's a blink-or-you'll-miss-it reference to the superbullets from the first season of Luke Cage being made from Chitauri alloys, but yeah, it's definitely not a thing that comes up very often.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
IIRC, all the Netflix shows are set about a year after Avengers 1 so they basically ignore most of the MCU canon.

I believe they reference Kingpin's rise to power as part of the rebuilding after the attack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Jessica Jones says rents are low in her neighborhood because of poo poo falling down from a space battle.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I usually enjoy Punisher stuff, as long as it doesn't involve any other super heroes. Its a weird mix to have literal super humans and people who can punch trucks, and there is "Guy With Gun".

Really enjoyed Ennis' "Welcome Home, Frank" series. Think the Thomas Jane movie was based off of that story.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Archer666 posted:

I usually enjoy Punisher stuff, as long as it doesn't involve any other super heroes. Its a weird mix to have literal super humans and people who can punch trucks, and there is "Guy With Gun".

Really enjoyed Ennis' "Welcome Home, Frank" series. Think the Thomas Jane movie was based off of that story.

I actually am the opposite, and tend mostly to like the Punisher when he's there to serve as an uncomfortably extreme version of exactly the same poo poo that, say, Daredevil is doing. (Daredevil season 2 had its issues but the first four episodes were gold.)

I do need to get around to watching the standalone series, since the dude playing Frank impressed me a lot in Daredevil and it also has Avasarala from The Expanse. Maybe once I dig myself out of this Arrowverse rabbit hole I seem to have disappeared into.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZCuXJ7-8s

New Children of Doom episode from Errant Signal, this one discussing Marathon.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Since Lovecraft is in the public domain (I think) I feel there's a lot you can do with the material without descending into cliche. Myself, I'd omit all the racism and add more loving. Also we need a protagonist who isn't every detective trope in the book.

Looking at the characters in this thing makes me think of Dishonored, which had that same stylized painting-ish vibe. Except Dishonored did it a lot better.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I recently played No One Lives Under the Lighthouse and it was a neat little Lovecraftian game.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
drat right finally someone on this forum has also played "I'm surprised it's not Itch!" game.
Legit it's really good though a certain part: the maze part ticked a lot of people off. Though I don't really get why people constantly compare it to The Lighthouse movie, other than there being a lighthouse and bits of confusion in parts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A lot of Lovecraft's stuff is in the public domain, but you have to be careful because August Derleth copyrighted at least some of the elements Lovecraft didn't put out there, like (I believe) the Dreamlands. It's tripped up game companies before who think they can grab from the Mythos with both hands and wind up getting them slapped.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sinking city is apparently pretty good and omits/deals with the weird hosed up racism in his books. like the fact that fish people exist and are mostly just a weird but well meaning religion and the klan are still awful gently caress heads.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of Lovecraft's stuff is in the public domain, but you have to be careful because August Derleth copyrighted at least some of the elements Lovecraft didn't put out there, like (I believe) the Dreamlands. It's tripped up game companies before who think they can grab from the Mythos with both hands and wind up getting them slapped.
The Dreamlands as a concept are public domain, but many elements in them are borrowed by Lovecraft from other authors and almost all of those are copyrighted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Dreamlands as a concept are public domain, but many elements in them are borrowed by Lovecraft from other authors and almost all of those are copyrighted.

Yeah, you also have to check to make sure it was actually Lovecraft or somebody like Howard whose estate keeps things on lockdown.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waterfall Watcher posted:

drat right finally someone on this forum has also played "I'm surprised it's not Itch!" game.
Legit it's really good though a certain part: the maze part ticked a lot of people off. Though I don't really get why people constantly compare it to The Lighthouse movie, other than there being a lighthouse and bits of confusion in parts.

Yeah can't say I was a fan of that part. I restarted my game twice cuz I thought I kept loving up.

The part where you play as the moth-man blew my mind though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I don't have much of a critical eye, but I did like watching these. Your enthusiasm for RAD really shines through and I like the breadth of coverage you gave to experimental save systems and how they were received over time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Any feedback or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, hope you guys enjoy them as much as I've had making them :)

Your channel is fantastic, and I feel the same way you do about Lost Levels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

He does and then some. During last year's big cosmic event, War of the Realms, the Punisher appeared in War of the Realms: Strikeforce, War of the Realms: Punisher, and the main event book itself. There is no explanation given for how he can be in three places at the same time.

Okay. I remembering seeing a few panels of him fighting Ghost Rider with a flaming sword or something and I knew he had Warmachine's armor for a bit but I didn't know what the context to any of that was or if he immediately walked off with them to go take the fight to The Hand or something.

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, it's kinda nice that the movies and shows aren't beholden to each other so you'll do fine without needing to see everything.

But boy would The Punisher be a way more sympathetic character if he was hunting down Nazis and cops working for Kingpin or whatever mob boss is around now.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoVa0Hi1rOg

Quinton discusses his giant Garfield plush nightmare that happens to have become rather politically relevant.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno, I think the half focused around the Punisher was really good and then the Hand sucked.

i completely agree but frank castle’s trial was the b-plot of the season and the hand took up most of the season and is some of the least compelling tv ive seen

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

It's pretty funny that The Defenders miniseries proceeded to focus the most on the two least popular parts of the Netflix Marvel shows: The Hand and Iron Fist. They definitely thought that everyone was going to love that stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's pretty funny that The Defenders miniseries proceeded to focus the most on the two least popular parts of the Netflix Marvel shows: The Hand and Iron Fist. They definitely thought that everyone was going to love that stuff.

Given what's come about about Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb (TL;DR He's awful and a racist) I'm not surprised the Netflix stuff was so hit or miss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mokinokaro posted:

There's also the Great Lakes Avengers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

watho posted:

i completely agree but frank castle’s trial was the b-plot of the season and the hand took up most of the season and is some of the least compelling tv ive seen

No I agree with you there. I was thinking of the second season segmented with the point where DD saves Frank from being tortured and he sets him down in a graveyard I think and they have a conversation before the police arrive as the good half of the season. I had completely forgotten about the part of Frank being in jail and his trial as well.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Fabricated posted:

It's been a long time since I read that comic, but I seem to recall it was more like Frank loved the Vietnam war so much, loved killing, that he didn't want it to end, so death or the devil or something dark and unnamed offers him a deal for an endless personal war, and then only springs the price on him at the last moment, which is that his family will all die. I liked that angle because it didn't try to obfuscate or excuse the fact he's a complete monster.

One other aspect I really liked about BORN was that it tied the Vietnam backstory aspect and Frank's personal violence into US Imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The move from the Punisher plot to the Hand plot in Daredevil S2 might be one of the most abrupt drops in quality I've ever witnessed. I wanted to drop the show the instant Elektra showed up on screen because her first scene was that bad, and in retrospect I really wish I had because the rest of the season was really unenjoyable.