Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Turns out I'm terrible at White Water. that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
this table's drains are brutal as hell. i may or may not have wiped a tear from my eye when i broke 9th place just now. any advice on how to not be dogshit on this one?

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

CarpenterWalrus posted:

this table's drains are brutal as hell. i may or may not have wiped a tear from my eye when i broke 9th place just now. any advice on how to not be dogshit on this one?

The only advice I can give is keep shooting anything that is flashing and pray you get 5 x Playfield as a Whirlpool award and don't immediately drain.

I think White Water is definitely a table for operators hungry for players quarters, the drains are frequent. Yet somehow I keep coming back for more - probably because most games are so short due to all the drains!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's a hard-rear end table. i always try to shoot the whirpool for the 5x table bonus award

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I played a real White Water and sucked hard but I love how the ball smacks the glass every time on that one wave ramp

WELCOME TO WET WILLY'S!!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

White Water is reject-o-rama. Rejected ramps, rejected locks, rejected boulder gardens, rejected insanity falls/whirlpool shots,. That you can't see the upper flipper to time it right doesn't help.

That both the pop bumpers and the whirlpool eject have a 50/50 chance of throwing the ball straight down an outlane doesn't help.

e: I swear half my games start the exact same way. Plunge, miss Insanity Falls, shoot for lock, ball rejects and goes SDTM.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 7, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a buddy of mine that didn't know I was in to pinball said he was surprised when he watched people play at how physical it is

WW is the epitome of that. if you don't nudge, you won't score

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Best part of White Water is when you hit Insanity Falls and the ball smacks the glass.

Don’t think zen or Farsight emulated that

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah WW being in our tourney might be what gets me to finally use a controller because not being able to slap save those stdm's out of the center lock with a keyboard (i know you can, it's just difficult) is ruinous to a WW high score

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

boar guy posted:

a buddy of mine that didn't know I was in to pinball said he was surprised when he watched people play at how physical it is

WW is the epitome of that. if you don't nudge, you won't score

my gameplay went way up when i started hitting the gym for an extra arm day, ngl

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

my gameplay went way up when i started hitting the gym for an extra arm day, ngl

i didn't play pinball for about twenty years. when i stopped, no one else really played, and when i saw people shake/tilt/slam the machines i was kind of weirded out. coming back to it last year, the very first event i was at, the guy that owned the machines would just tilt out his third ball every time if he had no chance to win. like an 8 inch slide save was a routine thing. playing in IFPA events normalized that stuff. the only thing they really don't like are death saves/bangbacks, because they damage the coin mechanisms.

and yeah, i am way way out of shape since there's no soccer to coach or ref right now. i play much better when i'm tired, and when i've been keeping up on my cardio, seriously. the best performance i've ever had was after leaving league on a wednesday night, driving from LA to Boston and then flying back, and playing that same night. zen, baby, exhaust the body to invigorate the mind :tipshat:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i saw a guy get a star wars on 2 legs and only get a warning.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

i saw a guy get a star wars on 2 legs and only get a warning.

i mean, Dialed In has an extra tilt warning as a bonus. tables are definitely made to be moved.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

boar guy posted:

i mean, Dialed In has an extra tilt warning as a bonus. tables are definitely made to be moved.

TNA will always give you one as your mystery if you don't have any.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I learned that if you lean in on the machine, put your legs back a bit and don't put your head over the flippers it's easier to nudge. Guy at TPL taught me and I got the jump rope champ on Champion Pub with 30 jumps.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Deviant posted:

I've had to ice my elbow after a long pinball session before. I rely too much on my left hand for nudges, slaps and moves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey thread, sorry if this has been answered but I did some looking back the past several pages and the op and didn't find an answer:

Is there someone that builds (or has kits) for cabinets?

e: I see there are several that do them on a google search, but looking for recommendations. And bonus extra: :canada: would be appreciated if possible.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 8, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

That both the pop bumpers and the whirlpool eject have a 50/50 chance of throwing the ball straight down an outlane doesn't help.
I finally figured out how to save the whirlpool eject at least. Hold the right flipper up, and just as the ball starts going up the inlane towards the inevitable U-turn drain, nudge the table to kill some of its energy. That should return it calmly to the right flipper.

e: Also, can you even get 5x Playfield from the whirlpool in tournament mode? I've never gotten it.

e2: Finally managed to get 100m+, mostly thanks to a good multiball with double jackpots on the first ball. As is tradition, ball 2 and 3 were then both one flip drains.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 8, 2020

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

e: Also, can you even get 5x Playfield from the whirlpool in tournament mode? I've never gotten it.

I got it once - and immediately drained.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

having played WW IRL I can join in the assurance that it is a drain-heavy bastard

Even having learned to enjoy and use nudging, saving a rejected lock shot is unlikely at best for my dodgy reflexes - it'd take Sekiro levels of practice, and :effort:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The only Whirlpool Reward that gets turned off is Extra Ball lit. The pops can change the sequence and possibly get you the 5x reward quicker, but it's so dangerous to put the ball in the pops (or anyplace above the right sling), that it's usually better to entirely avoid the left/right orbits in single ball play. The Papa Championships in 2016 have a lot of extended White Water play in them, if you want to get the pro strats down.

It's a seriously tough game, I play it terribly. Somehow, I have had all my best results on it in competitive play.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Picking up Fish Tales on Tuesday. My first DMD. So much less nonsense going on under the hood compared to the F14 I used to have.

:coolfish:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I'm looking at getting a captain fantastic with the risque artwork, I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/capt-fantastic-and-the-brown-dirt-cowboy

I played it a year ago at a friend's house and they're trying to part ways with it, they haven't been able to sell it for $1k and are mostly thinking of donating it or giving it to me for a discount. It's in great condition as far as I could tell. As a first time buyer how much would you recommend paying for this machine and is there anything I need to be wary of? I think I can move it fairly easily if I rent a truck and bring my partner with me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

about 2 hours left to post a score for round two of Quarantourney. will update later with scores and the final table.

i think if we do another one of these we need a playoff format, where the top 4 qualifiers play each other winner takes all for the title. otherwise i think the same person is just going to keep winning :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Picking up Fish Tales on Tuesday. My first DMD. So much less nonsense going on under the hood compared to the F14 I used to have.

:coolfish:

grats! is F14 considered a hard machine to work on?

Joiny posted:

I'm looking at getting a captain fantastic with the risque artwork, I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/capt-fantastic-and-the-brown-dirt-cowboy

I played it a year ago at a friend's house and they're trying to part ways with it, they haven't been able to sell it for $1k and are mostly thinking of donating it or giving it to me for a discount. It's in great condition as far as I could tell. As a first time buyer how much would you recommend paying for this machine and is there anything I need to be wary of? I think I can move it fairly easily if I rent a truck and bring my partner with me.

i would take someone with you that knows what to look for, and at the very least peruse this before you go: https://www.gameroomguys.com/guide-to-buying-used-pinball-machines

play the game for half an hour before you pay for it. but the price seems fair, unless it needs a ton of work.

also, are you comfortable soldering? using a voltmeter? reading a wiring diagram? pinball repair is $80 an hour so either resign yourself to paying that every time a target doesn't register, or resign yourself to learning to wrench on machines. i wouldn't feel comfortable buying an EM because even the guys i know that work on pins professionally say if you look at them wrong they stop working properly.

My experience buying my first pin (from guys who are supposedly reputable, one of them is the chief tech at the Museum of Pinball):

show up at dude's house, they set up the pin. i play 3 games.
Yakov kicker stops working. they open up the table, make some adjustments to the switch, i play 3 more games.
everything seems fine, i give the guy the money after explaining to him, this is my first buy, i know the people in the community, i don't wrench on machines, i just want to play it, i don't know how to fix them, is there anything i should know (repeat 10x)
i get the machine home, no power to the flippers. i call the guys i bought it from, they tell me to reconnect a cable. everything's okay for a while
messed up changing out an LED and got two balls into the same center kicker pocket. machine is down for a week while we identify, order, ship and replace the bracket that cracked from trying to kick two balls out. This necessitates the purchase of a soldering iron and voltmeter. $100 all told.
the sellers said the flippers were recently rebuilt but two of them stopped returning to zero position. we open up the playfield and discover that everything has been treated with WD-40, a huge gigantic nono
we rebuild all 4 flippers at the cost of another $100 plus a $100 bottle of wine for the guy that's put 8 hours of wrench time in to the machine for nothing. in the meantime, yakov kicker stops working.
while trying to fix the yakov kicker, the guy wrenching on my machine disconnects a diode from one of the diverters. shortly after that, we get the Smell of Death and the boards have to be sent to St. Louis for 3 weeks at a cost of close to $300 to get fixed/bulletproofed
get it back, now everything works. however, there are still issues with targets not registering sometimes and i'll have to sand down contacts or something. playfield posts get loose when the ball smashes them. the balls have to be cleaned, the playfield has to be waxed, the rubbers have to be changed periodically. these machines take maintenance. there's nothing set it and forget it about them. i think that's important to know.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

White Water is such a frustrating game it's not even fun. :mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, sorry if this has been answered but I did some looking back the past several pages and the op and didn't find an answer:

Is there someone that builds (or has kits) for cabinets?

e: I see there are several that do them on a google search, but looking for recommendations. And bonus extra: :canada: would be appreciated if possible.

I think I may be the only one here with a full size cab and I built it myself.

Are you looking for a fully loaded(force feedback, LED, software pre installed, etc)? Or just a shell that you then setup yourself?

Also do you have a budget in mind?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

White Water is such a frustrating game it's not even fun. :mad:

trap up! it's the only way to play WW

you can reliably control the ball on the left flipper when it kicks out of the left side scoop, just let it dead bounce off the right one

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

boar guy posted:

you can reliably control the ball on the left flipper when it kicks out of the left side scoop, just let it dead bounce off the right one
For me it reliably bounces off the right flipper and down the left outlane.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

For me it reliably bounces off the right flipper and down the left outlane.

you can also try holding the right flipper up when the ball kicks out of the left pocket, which will give you the ball back on said right flipper maybe 75% of the time

WW really punishes flailing. you gotta get control of the ball

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boar guy posted:

about 2 hours left to post a score for round two of Quarantourney. will update later with scores and the final table.

i think if we do another one of these we need a playoff format, where the top 4 qualifiers play each other winner takes all for the title. otherwise i think the same person is just going to keep winning :D

I was thinking either a different format or a shorter duration, yeah. I love participating in these, though

and by love i mean oh my god robbed :tizzy:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I was thinking either a different format or a shorter duration, yeah. I love participating in these, though

i can definitely do a shorter duration next time, just trying to make sure that people with different schedules and things have a chance to get scores in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boar guy posted:

trap up! it's the only way to play WW

IME this is about a 2 in 3 chance of letting me trap on the left; with about 1 in 3 of going straight for the left outlane on a direct parabola so graceful you'd think it was rigged

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

IME this is about a 2 in 3 chance of letting me trap on the left; with about 1 in 3 of going straight for the left outlane

nudge the table forward when the ball goes back above the left sling :tipshat: i like trying to use the posts as extra unpowered flippers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress my edit-heavy :justpost: nature has met its nemesis: another editer

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Joiny posted:

If it's clean and fully working, $1k for a Capt Fantastic isn't even that bad. Not my favorite table, but highly regarded. Condition is king of course, and with EMs this goes doubly so for the backglass. It's stupid how much the value of an EM is tied up in the backglass. Off the top of my head, I think CF has a mirrored backglass. You'll want as little flaking as possible.

I honestly don't know what effect on value having a no stars version really adds to it. I know Shay has re-pro'd them.

With regards to gameplay testing. Open it up and start a 4 player game. Or a couple of them. Make sure the ball count and player steppers advance all the way through properly. Player 1 ball 1 -> player two ball 1 etc etc. Make sure it's on 5 ball play as well before doing it.

Rules are simple enough, but things to look out for:
Rolling over the A and B lanes up top should light the double bonus. (Make sure it's actually doubling the bonus at the end of said ball.)
Middle lane up top should open the ball save gate until it's used. I think you can then re-open the gate via the middle lane again.
The bonus is increased by rolling over lit star rollovers. I believe they alternate between being lit and unlit by other switches on the playfield. Maybe pop bumper hits? Make sure they're lighting and unlighting as they should and that they're adding to the bonus when you hit them while lit.
Completing the drops bank should light extra ball in the right inlane. Comepleting a 2nd time should light special on the left outlane. Third and any subsequent time should give a free game.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

boar guy posted:

grats! is F14 considered a hard machine to work on?
System 11 is definitely a transition between EMs and DMDs. From underneath, basically every lamp and coil is individually wired, and go through a whole bunch of wire bundles before getting to the board. When a lamp goes out, you have to diagnose whether it's just a burnt out bulb or an electrical problem, with a ton of poo poo that might potentially be the cause of an electrical problem. And God help you if someone has replaced a bunch of color-coded wires with some generic standard wire, and then re-bundled them.

DMDs started moving towards circuit boards for lamp groups, which cuts down a ton on the amount of wiring. And if a single lamp goes out, you know it's a problem with the lamp. If a row of lamps goes out, you know it's an electrical problem. And circuit boards go bad far less frequently than individually soldered wires.

The DMD era is also generally better about making things easily mounted from beneath, rather than needing to go back and forth from below and above the playfield. Some things can't be helped, like bumpers, but ease of construction and maintenance started being more of a thing with DMDs.

And my particular F14 had a bunch of stripped screws and such that just made everything extra annoying to deal with.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah and F-14 also switched to circuit boards in the middle of the production run, so there are two different sets of specs for lights, i had to go round and round with the guys at Comet before i got the bulbs i needed

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 9, 2020

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

boar guy posted:

you can also try holding the right flipper up when the ball kicks out of the left pocket, which will give you the ball back on said right flipper maybe 75% of the time

WW really punishes flailing. you gotta get control of the ball
Holding the flipper up reliably makes the ball go up the inlane and U-turn down the right outlane. The only way I've found to reliably save the whirlpool kickout is to hold the flipper up and nudge the table just as the ball starts travelling up the inlane, but that depends on not having nudged recently or eating a tilt warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Holding the flipper up reliably makes the ball go up the inlane and U-turn down the right outlane. The only way I've found to reliably save the whirlpool kickout is to hold the flipper up and nudge the table just as the ball starts travelling up the inlane, but that depends on not having nudged recently or eating a tilt warning.

what platform are you on? this doesn't match my PC experience