Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rojkir posted:

This should be end of season for Groenewegen imo

:hmmyes:

Absolutely horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
loving hell and with a train track on the other side of the barrier
https://twitter.com/sport_tvppl/status/1291058716129861635

quote:

Unofficial information from #tvpsport reporter Sebastian Szczęsny: Jakobsen received muscle relaxants, was put into a pharmacological coma and intubated. The cyclist was taken to hospital, his condition was serious. # TDP20

Sounds really bad

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

Sounds really bad

loving hell. That sounds extremely bad.

Fwiw, PCS has Jakobsen as the winner and Groenewegen as disqualified.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I just can't get over this, they should straight up treat it as attempted murder jfc

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
are barriers made of toothpicks in poland? they just exploded

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds bad. They really don't like putting people under outside of hospitals.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

paddyboat posted:

are barriers made of toothpicks in poland? they just exploded

That kind of barrier is used for crowd control, they're not supposed to be collided with at 80kmh.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Heliosicle posted:

Sounds really bad

Christ, I think there needs to be a new form of barrier for the last 20m of sprints. The barrier they use has almost no give and it 2020 there should be something that decelerates riders gradually

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Christ, I think there needs to be a new form of barrier for the last 20m of sprints. The barrier they use has almost no give and it 2020 there should be something that decelerates riders gradually

Just make a 200m tunnel of inflatable arches to softly cushion the riders like an airbag.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
After van Aert's crash last year its obvious those typical crowd control barriers aren't suitable for bike racing, especially when things are heated or narrow

Can't access the apparent source, but read that they were able to intubate Jakobsen and his blood oxygen saturation levels were good, but he lost a lot of blood and has serious craniocerebral trauma.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Union Cycliste Internationale posted:

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-concerning-dylan-groenewegen-(jumbo-visma)

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) strongly condemns the dangerous behaviour of rider Dylan Groenewegen (Jumbo-Wisma), who sent Fabio Jakobsen (Deceuninck-Quickstep) into the barriers a few metres from the finish, causing a collective crash at the end of the first stage of the Tour of Poland.

Groenewegen was disqualified from the race by the commissaires' panel.

The UCI, which considers the behaviour unacceptable, immediately referred the matter to the Disciplinary Commission to request the imposition of sanctions commensurate with the seriousness of the facts.

Our Federation is wholeheartedly with the affected rider

uci not pulling their punches

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

moctopus posted:

Yes slight downhill 80kph apparently

I think they had that same road in a previous TdP and it’s insane that they’re still having it. Bunch sprint finishes are dangerous to begin with, don’t make them loving downhill.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Since all the previous stuff sounded really bad thought it would be worth updating with more recent news which is a bit better

https://sport.tvp.pl/49285887/stan-stabilny-ale-ciezki-najwazniejsze-godziny-fabio-jakobsena

"The doctor also gave the first good news. -It is optimistic that apart from craniofacial injuries, no changes were found radiologically in the remaining organs. The general condition is stable, but we have to wait for the next hours to assess the neurological status. The measures he is given do not allow a complete assessment of the degree of damage. I think we will be able to provide full information in the morning ."

Terrible still but hopefully not immediately life-threatening anymore

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
e: ^^^ if Jakobsen managed to avoid a TBI he’s incredibly lucky

Heliosicle posted:

Can't access the apparent source, but read that they were able to intubate Jakobsen and his blood oxygen saturation levels were good, but he lost a lot of blood and has serious craniocerebral trauma.

In the fan video, you can see that Jakobsen loses his helmet after hitting the first set of barriers, before he hits the finish arch (or ground).

cebrail posted:

I think they had that same road in a previous TdP and it’s insane that they’re still having it. Bunch sprint finishes are dangerous to begin with, don’t make them loving downhill.

Apparently:

https://twitter.com/simongeschke/status/1291062561102856193

Stutes fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 5, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hes gonna get banned for 12 months for this. Moving over twice is absolutely inexcusable.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Groenewegen's had surgery on a collarbone he broke after falling over the line. He wouldn't be racing for a few months anyway.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My first reaction was holy loving poo poo, my second reaction was I hope the jumbo guy at least broke his collarbone.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lefevere is trying to get the idiot thrown in jail.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Tour_de_Pologne/status/1291699649724723203

Jakobsen made it out of the coma.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's a very, very lucky man. Hopefully he gets out of this without any neurological effects.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You love to see it

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

goatface posted:

He's a very, very lucky man. Hopefully he gets out of this without any neurological effects.

sporza is reporting that he does not have any spinal, cranial or cerebral injuries, which kind of seems like a miracle but I'll take it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
5 and a half hours of plastic surgery on his face though...ooof thats gonna be a scar

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They probably had to rebuild something. Maybe some custom metalwork.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He could be fine, I know a fella who rode right into the back of a parked hatchback and put his face through the window. It took a couple years yeah, but you can't see anything today.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Plastic surgeons are pretty good these days. They have a lot of tools and tricks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In the race, Carapaz won an uphill sprint and took the GC jersey

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

goatface posted:

Long term ones, anyway. He's got to have picked up a concussion from stopping that fast.

cgfreak posted:

sporza is reporting that he does not have any spinal, cranial or cerebral injuries, which kind of seems like a miracle but I'll take it.

The initial report above sounded like a cat scan looking for structural issues, like brain bleed, etc. Plenty of possible TBI issues that wouldn't be picked up on a scan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m shocked he didn’t suffer massive head trauma. His helmet came off.

https://imgur.com/a/S47nVvi

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, it sounds like he used his face as a crumple zone.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Didn't his team boss say he lost all his teeth? Minor in the grand scheme, but still...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Milan san Remo is now over 300km with the course change today. Baking hot heat and thunderstorms abound.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
drat, if there's one thing everyone wanted from MSR it's for there to be even more of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Humbug posted:

Didn't his team boss say he lost all his teeth? Minor in the grand scheme, but still...

Well if they spent those 5.5 hours rebuilding his lower mandible, that would make sense.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

drat, if there's one thing everyone wanted from MSR it's for there to be even more of it.

For what it's worth, they didn't make it longer for shits and giggles. (At least) one of the communities that the race normally passes through refused to let it pass through, so they had to find an alternate route. Which makes the profile look pretty untypical for MSR:

If you see that profile in a GT, you know the pure sprinters are not gonna be there. I don't want to be cautiously optimistic for a good MSR, but let's see what happens

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're not killer climbs.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah the scale seems to overstate those 3% and 4% climbs....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they also likely won't be ridden at speed with a summit 60k from the line though maybe someone will get the idea that they can lop off a few sprinters early

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Plenty time to hang on your team car and get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jumbo have suspended Groenewegen. Not really that surprising given hes out for a few months anyway and they don't actually lose anything but he could be right in the poo poo.