Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
say hello to the new studio system, same as the old studio system
https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1291751368013864962?s=21
:coolspot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

4 is going to have the real Baba Yaga, including her chicken leg house.

She's the villain, but its going to be a bit of cross promotion where Wick is dropped on an island with 99 other assassins.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shageletic posted:

Anyone remember the two on 1 Jackie Chan fight in Who Am I? Justified that entire movie.

E: lol its on the dvd cover

That's one of my favorite fight scenes. One of the things I love about the way Jackie choreographs his fight scenes is how much work he puts into them to make them look and feel spontaneous. A lot of movies have awesome action and fight scenes, but there's still a sense of rehearsal and plotting behind them. Jackie has a wonderful way of making the viewer feel like it was unplanned and off the cuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

That's one of my favorite fight scenes. One of the things I love about the way Jackie choreographs his fight scenes is how much work he puts into them to make them look and feel spontaneous. A lot of movies have awesome action and fight scenes, but there's still a sense of rehearsal and plotting behind them. Jackie has a wonderful way of making the viewer feel like it was unplanned and off the cuff.

A lot of that owing to his physical acting. He makes it seem as though he's constantly surprised, seeing everything for the first time, and grasping for ways to get out of trouble.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

aware of dog posted:

say hello to the new studio system, same as the old studio system
https://twitter.com/loudmouthjulia/status/1291751368013864962?s=21
:coolspot:

I dont understand why they didnt just update the decree or work on a replacement law. Its so stupid they think the DoJ and existing antitrust laws are going to be vigilant enough to basically prevent Disney from strong arming theater owners harder than they already do. Its so insane.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

they killed my raptor Doctor

it was all I had left to remember her by

Everybody keeps asking me if life finds a way.

Yeah, I'm thinking life, uh, finds a way!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As one of the top ranked assassins in the world, John Wick finds himself obligated to fight an obnoxious nerd with a beam katana

I would be so loving here for the JW movies crossing over with No More Heroes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont understand why they didnt just update the decree or work on a replacement law. Its so stupid they think the DoJ and existing antitrust laws are going to be vigilant enough to basically prevent Disney from strong arming theater owners harder than they already do. Its so insane.

They don't think that. They just see "business strangling regulations".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

duz posted:

"business strangling regulations"

Funny how this works without the hyphen.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Davros1 posted:

This was one of those moves that had the--for lack of a better term--blooper reel at the end, and I believe footage of Jackie getting carted off to the hospital/getting hurt in various ways. Same for the movie Chocolate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(2008_film)).

It's fascinating and horrifying: you can tell how much effort they put into doing stunts in these movies, and things looks real because they kinda are..

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

John Wick Vs. Chev Chelios :colbert:

Really was a missed opportunity not to have Statham play Chev Chelios in F&F.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

John Wick Vs. Chev Chelios :colbert:

:getin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Prowler posted:

This was one of those moves that had the--for lack of a better term--blooper reel at the end, and I believe footage of Jackie getting carted off to the hospital/getting hurt in various ways. Same for the movie Chocolate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(2008_film)).

It's fascinating and horrifying: you can tell how much effort they put into doing stunts in these movies, and things looks real because they kinda are..

There was a doc about his stunts and fight scenes, and one of the behind the scenes bits was how Jackie will sometimes use wire work. While other stunt coordinators use the wires to lift actors into the air, Jackie had wires attached to a shoe, so that when he kicked someone, the stunt team would yank the opponent's feet out from under him so the landing impact would look that much more devastating.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As one of the top ranked assassins in the world, John Wick finds himself obligated to fight an obnoxious nerd with a beam katana

Add in the Killer 7 too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

There was a doc about his stunts and fight scenes, and one of the behind the scenes bits was how Jackie will sometimes use wire work. While other stunt coordinators use the wires to lift actors into the air, Jackie had wires attached to a shoe, so that when he kicked someone, the stunt team would yank the opponent's feet out from under him so the landing impact would look that much more devastating.

And what's maybe most important about that is it's to make the kick look devastating without cutting away. It's easy to have an actor get pretend-kicked and then in the next shot have him or a stunt actor be shown hitting the ground hard but when the kick and the fall to the ground are shown in the same shot how do you make the kick look powerful without actually connecting hard with the kickee's head or whiffing on it and having the kickee do the classic leap-away? There's only so fast a stunt actor can intentionally crumple to the ground on their own but if you yank their legs out from under them at just the right moment you can even have them meekly throw up their chalky hands to block but it won't matter because the kick is seemingly strong enough to blast through the block and torque their body around to drive their head towards the ground. And again, they can land safely but the violence of the motion still makes it look like KO-worthy.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 7, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
More action films should use pro wrestlers as mooks- they know how to fall convincingly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maxwell Lord posted:

More action films should use pro wrestlers as mooks- they know how to fall convincingly.

If anyone can be beaten up convincingly it's Jackie Chan's crew, many of them a team that he worked with from film to film. But even with those guys you want some extra movie magic.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Apparently this is a movie? It's from last year but it's getting dumped today and I've never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHE5iHeYBqw

Pretty dope sunglasses and hats.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

lol just imagining some random dude in john wick doing a ric flair flop

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ror posted:

Apparently this is a movie? It's from last year but it's getting dumped today and I've never heard of it.

I saw the trailer a week or so ago. The book is tremendous. I hope the movie is good, of course, but by virtue of it being film it loses an important part of the book that I quite like. The story takes play in a kind of colonial anywhere/everywhere. The outpost and "barbarians," then, are an amalgamation of how the British imagined the American frontier, central and southern Africa, the near and far of Asia. The movie, by virtue of being a movie, has to make its location and characters more particular and so it looks to take place in something resembling Mongolia/China.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paramount has a new person in charge of their movie division and reportedly one franchise that's getting reevaluated is Star Trek. Apparently this is specifically affecting the Noah Hawley project.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AccountSupervisor posted:

everyone jokes about Disney buying AMC (which still could totally happen) but the actual first thing that Disney is going to start doing is block-booking, which is where you don't get The Big Movies unless you carry their entire slate. it's already something they kinda do back-handedly but now they can just do it out in the open! Disney is already crazy strict about this poo poo, at my theater we can't schedule anything less than a full day of shows for Disney movies even if it's a Thursday and we've got new movies opening in the evening and no one is going to see the Disney movie because it's been around for like, 3 months.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

Paramount has a new person in charge of their movie division and reportedly one franchise that's getting reevaluated is Star Trek. Apparently this is specifically affecting the Noah Hawley project.
To be honest as a Trek fan I'm fine at this point if they want to give the movies a break. The studio clearly didn't have any real interest in marketing or pushing Star Trek Beyond and then immediately declared it a failure despite decent reviews.

The focus is on TV right now and that's fine, although they have work to do in order to make those shows better

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1291918803966844928

This is the most meta pitch i have ever seen.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Can't wait to see whoever's playing Faye Dunaway throw a cup full of piss into the face of whoever's playing Polanski.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Can't wait to see whoever's playing Faye Dunaway throw a cup full of piss into the face of whoever's playing Polanski.

"Granny's Peach Tea. Honest."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah uh who is the audience for this besides guys who looks like they would be Alan Smithee

someone should do Once Upon a Time in Hollywood except Polanski is a rapist who fled the country

and Bruce Lee kicks his rear end

you know, alternate alternate history

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

lol just imagining some random dude in john wick doing a ric flair flop

Wick's fighting a guy, throws him into a barricade. Guy flips over it, runs down to the other side, leaps to the top of it, but OH NO!, Wick catches up to him and throws him off the barrier!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The plot in JW3 is total garbo but everything with Mark Dacascos is much better than anything in 2 IMO. I would be fine with them making as many JW movies as they want, I’d definitely rather have those than more Fast & Furious TBH

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The 'escaping the city' bit for the first 20 minutes or so of JW3 is better than almost anything in the first two movies. This does not make JW3 as a whole better than either of those movies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I told you all, I told you they'd bring back vertical integration and block booking

Not watching this unless it just destroys Roman Polanski

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Barudak posted:

Not watching this unless it just destroys Roman Polanski

:same:

My money is on it being a stinking big fart of Hollywood self-mythologizing art through struggle mixed with sleazy backstage gossip.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's Ben Affleck, it's going to be Argo but less self aware

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There was that big letter going around a year or two ago where a bunch of Hollywood big shots signed on saying Polanski's charges should be dropped and he should be allowed to return to the states. So yeah, there's going to be zero mention of how he raped a 13-year old.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

it's Ben Affleck, it's going to be Argo but less self aware

So the film ends with Polanski fleeing on a plane to France while LAPD chase the plane on the runway?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So the film ends with Polanski fleeing on a plane to France while LAPD chase the plane on the runway?

Why would there be a time jump four years into the future in a movie about Chinatown

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
There is a 0% chance Affleck doesnt cast himself or Casey as Jack Nicholson.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
John Wick 2 opened with a condensed version of John Wick 1, then John Wick 3 opened with a condensed version of John Wick 2. I wonder what the fourth will open with, and if they follow the idea of the Bowery going to war with the High Table. I feel like they will have to get a little more concrete with how things will play out, if JW4 is yet more world-building it is going to become a bit annoying.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1292165706507845634?s=21
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lid posted:

There is a 0% chance Affleck doesnt cast himself or Casey as Jack Nicholson.

He'd be a fool to not try to get Leo. Though I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the guy wouldn't want to be in two flicks with Polanski as a featuring character.