Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My own stupid pubbie moment today: Entering a cave with a Driller right behind me, getting plucked off the floor by a cave leech and seeing the Driller, who was right behind me and should have definitely saw me get grabbed, or at least heard me, immediately run off to mine some nearby gold while the leech slowly chewed me to death.

Count yourself lucky they didn't finish with that gold, turn around, and run right back into the leech to "save" you.

I actually had some good games tonight! Multiple Haz 4s that ran smooth as butter, including a tyrant weed. In my last one, all three team members were very, very excited about beer ingredients. I've never had so many platform requests spammed at me for a malt star, and I'm not mad about it. :shobon:

Also, after bringing up the rear while a driller tunneled to the drop pod, I am fully converted to triple line breach cutter (jury's still out on taking line width over quick open, though). I had steve and a turret plugging the hole behind us and was just shooting what came through, and I may as well not have bothered with the first two. I also learned that glyphid guards on haz4 can eat a wave of breach cutter and keep going. I'm used to having that poo poo melt anything smaller than a praetorian, so seeing several of them charge on through it was unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My own stupid pubbie moment today: Entering a cave with a Driller right behind me, getting plucked off the floor by a cave leech and seeing the Driller, who was right behind me and should have definitely saw me get grabbed, or at least heard me, immediately run off to mine some nearby gold while the leech slowly chewed me to death.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m sure it’s just a matter of a millimeter difference in range, but more than once I’ve been grabbed by a cave leech while reviving someone who was downed by totally unrelated bugs after they spent several seconds running around directly under the leech, which did not attempt to grab them, and it’s made me wonder if they actually have sneaky AI to wait on trying to grab because it’s uncanny how well this works out for them

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I soloed my first Deep Dive today. No one joined my game during the whole first stage, and it was smooth as butter, so I just kept on rolling. What I learned from this experience is that Bosco is the only teammate I can truly rely on. :swoon:

Point extraction + kill a dreadnought + shield disruption was pretty intense, though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Unsinkabear posted:

I soloed my first Deep Dive today. No one joined my game during the whole first stage, and it was smooth as butter, so I just kept on rolling. What I learned from this experience is that Bosco is the only teammate I can truly rely on. :swoon:

Point extraction + kill a dreadnought + shield disruption was pretty intense, though.

You can only join in a deep dive before it starts and it locks out joining once you start. So that'd be why Bosco was your best bud.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

You can only join in a deep dive before it starts and it locks out joining once you start. So that'd be why Bosco was your best bud.

Ahhh, okay. I read somewhere else that people could still join during the first stage, but it locks out after that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

when the level generation is mean to you, you can let the supply drops do the digging for you

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

True Greybeards know that Supply Drops have three uses:

1) Resupplying you
2) Mining Minerals in inconvenient locations
3) Killing troublesome bosses

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Kith posted:

True Greybeards know that Supply Drops have three uses:

1) Resupplying you
2) Mining Minerals in inconvenient locations
3) Killing troublesome bosses

After many attempts, we did manage to bring a Supply Drop down on a Dreadnaught's hindquarters, and boy was it :discourse:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/391239632660201474/693627046928056380/15851005700891.webm

One easy trick! Dreadnoughts hate him!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
:aaaaa:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

for just 480 nitra you too can one-shot a dreadnought

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
You used to be able to instagib dreads with a single resupply, those were the days. :allears:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Wafflecopper posted:

for just 480 nitra you too can one-shot a dreadnought

I feel like the real trick here is to do it to a couple dreads at once.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Relentless posted:

:hmmyes:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Relentless posted:

The real trick is to duplicate a dread with a resupply pod, thus allowing you to kill 1 more dread than is actually required to complete the mission!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't know if the bug was fixed, but in case it wasn't - don't try to open dreadnought eggs with supply drops. The dread won't spawn "properly" and won't count for the quota when you kill it, leading to an impossible objective.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It's a waste in general, don't bother using explosives to open an egg because the dread is invulnerable until it can start moving. So many driller waste C4 as if it will carry over.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I always wait for the Dread to scuttle out a bit so the charge is behind the giant bug with a super armored front end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What does seem to work pretty well is stacking up all the engineer prox mines at the base of the egg, they do quite a bit of damage going off all at once.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What does seem to work pretty well is stacking up all the engineer prox mines at the base of the egg, they do quite a bit of damage going off all at once.

Nice, I'll try this! I usually run LURE because it's difficult to know where a swarm will come from and place prox accordingly, but I definitely know where that dread is coming from.

How do big spikes of damage like that work on them? Does it overflow to the actual HP once the shell breaks? And I know dreads will reform the shell based on a time limit OR if they take too much damage too fast, will it overflow to the reformed shell as well? Just wondering if you can lose potential damage to overkill on their phases, I guess.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Delacroix posted:

It's a waste in general, don't bother using explosives to open an egg because the dread is invulnerable until it can start moving. So many driller waste C4 as if it will carry over.

It's a good strategy when the egg is in a terrible location and there's a more suitable cave to fight the dread in elsewhere, though. Set the charge, go somewhere else, pop it when you get there, wait for him to show up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Kith posted:

It's a good strategy when the egg is in a terrible location and there's a more suitable cave to fight the dread in elsewhere, though. Set the charge, go somewhere else, pop it when you get there, wait for him to show up.

He's not real quick, I typically don't have any trouble popping it with my longest-range weapon and then sprinting to the chosen arena. Most eggs have two pathways leading to them though, so sometimes he does take an unexpected route and pop up from the floor or a side door or something, which is always fun.

Is he faster on haz 5 or something?

Edit: I guess I've had some real bullshit vertical dreadnought rooms that this could theoretically not work on if you didn't have LOS on the egg from the top rim.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Unsinkabear posted:

Edit: I guess I've had some real bullshit vertical dreadnought rooms that this could theoretically not work on if you didn't have LOS on the egg from the top rim.

it's this OP

And/or the terrain is extremely treacherous and you want the extra time to make your way carefully across a cave instead of rushing it and falling to an easily preventable death.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Yeah I was doing a haz5 dreadnought mission yesterday and had two engies in the group. Between four turrets, a shitload of prox mines and breach cutters, they minced a dreadnought from full health in well under 15-20 seconds

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Kith posted:

I encourage people to fight a dread in open flat rooms (often the starting room) and it really isn't necessary to use C4 for that. Remove any obstructing organic matter so it doesn't waste time digging and get one person to shoot the egg and run back to everyone else.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Well I just finished what I was really hoping was going to be my last ever gunner mission because gently caress do I hate that class, and was playing it through to the first promotion for reasons unknown - dropped into a haz5 egg hunt about 15 minutes in, with three other dwarves already in-game.

Pod opens, one corpse right at my feet surrounded by a sea of swarmers, and a rampant bet-c running wild lobbing grenades at me. One other dwarf dead, another on a sliver of health, whereabouts unknown. Mission controller announces that there's an incoming swarm.

Somehow I managed to circle around bet-c, use my instant res on one of the dead, who dies again immediately, then end up kiting half a swarm + bet-c far enough away to sprint back, bubble and res two more. Both die within 10-15 seconds from acid spitters and a menace. Third dwarf is now also dead so it's all on me.

By now I realise I've thrown more shields than I thought and have none left and no nitra. Re-kite everything plus two frozen praetorians, barely surviving.Circle back around to the two dwarves dead close to each other, throw the cluster grenades I'd bought literally just before getting into the launch pod for this mission, and clear a huge spot except for two glyphid guards. Power-axe those fuckers to dust and res the two dwarves again. Bet-c grenade circle lands right on all three of us.

Miraculously we all dodge it, the scout kites bet-c off to a far corner of the cavern we're in and grapples back to us. We res the last dwarf, finish the primary, discuss whether to go back and finish bet-c, decide better of it, call the drop pod and wrap up the mission.

Guess gunner isn't so bad after all!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

aejix posted:

Both die within 10-15 seconds from acid spitters and a menace

:lol: Every. Time!

I clear these before rezzing whenever possible because of how often this happens. Usually it's those same ceiling assholes that killed your pubbies in the first place, but even after being rezzed they'll still go right back to shooting grunts, swarmers, or literally anything they can find on ground level before ever looking up.

I struggle with situational awareness in almost all games so I'm usually pretty forgiving of others, but I don't get this one. It's a scary source of damage that you should want to quickly eliminate (and can), and the fact that those splashes come from above could not be telegraphed ANY more clearly. The poo poo covers half your screen and has distinct sound effects that literally come from above you if you have headphones on. :argh:

I made one gunner who actually watched the ceiling and threw shields/ziplines uncomfortable with my praise, and I'm sure I'll do it again. I love you. Never stop shooting up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Well... there it is. :smuggo: Weekly core hunt this time.

What other cool overclocks should I will the game into quickly giving me? Because so far I am on a loving roll.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Well... there it is. :smuggo: Weekly core hunt this time.

What other cool overclocks should I will the game into quickly giving me? Because so far I am on a loving roll.

The Ice spear/snowball mods for the Cryo cannon can be fun, though I don' t have much experience with them. The Sticky fuel related OC's for Driller's flamethrower are real good too, if you like the idea of being constantly surrounded by flames.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Booo! I have some kind of audio stuttering glitch that has cropped up with DRG and no other program where the game audio skips like a zoom call on a 56k modem, and the most likely bugfixes do not seem to be addressing the issue. :argh:

E; OH HOW OBNOXIOUS so i have a virtual audio mixer, Voicemeeter Banana, and it just needs to get reset when DRG and only DRG is opened for the first time, otherwise its stuttery static city. Whatever. I can play again!!!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 18, 2020

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

Booo! I have some kind of audio stuttering glitch that has cropped up with DRG and no other program where the game audio skips like a zoom call on a 56k modem, and the most likely bugfixes do not seem to be addressing the issue. :argh:

E; OH HOW OBNOXIOUS so i have a virtual audio mixer, Voicemeeter Banana, and it just needs to get reset when DRG and only DRG is opened for the first time, otherwise its stuttery static city. Whatever. I can play again!!!

I've had similar issues with headsets that have mics with DRG where sound disappears as soon as the rig loads, where I need to disable the mic device in windows manually. It's not a huge issue, but still.

Also, really achin for those new mission types to come. I've been taking a break for a bit to see how Vermintide 2's going lately and as much fun as the actual combat it still is, so many parts of it make me miss DRG.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/3LB2dnB.mp4

e;
Also, I seem to have got myself chat banned on the DRG discord. :v:

Last thing I did was post a grab of a weird mission name (cant remember what it was) and said "Insert abortion joke here".

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 22, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

thats probably because abortion jokes suck op (especially low-effort ones)

nice clip tho

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fishstick posted:

This is why I don't grapple from the floor like a peasant anymore, shotgun for air, then grapple for distance. Special Powder is a ton of fun and you can do some ridiculous things with that kind of mobility

https://i.imgur.com/b9sVywf.mp4

Coming back to this to say that I finally got a chance to pull some of this poo poo off in my own game, with friends around to actually see it. My parkour skills aren't anywhere near this smooth, but I did execute two neocyte breeders with the cryo grenade like this. Grappled up to the ceiling past one of the blimps, smacked it with a grenade on the way past, then caught myself with the shotgun before I hit the floor and watched the frozen breeder fall to the ground and explode like the goddamn Hindenburg.

I have never felt so cool in any videogame in my life. Naturally I ruined it by hollering "Did anyone see that?! PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE SAW THAT," but still. Jump shotgun is life, RIP Zhukovs

Edit: also went back through the thread looking for something and saw some old screenshots with names in them, and I actually played with Fishstick recently without realizing it! That's a fantastic in-game name.

Do you guys use faster recharge or longer reach on the first tier of Scout's grappling hook? Every time I switch it, I miss the other one

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 22, 2020

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
As of the last few tweaks to jump shotty I like the faster recharge on hook because of the increased lateral movement with the shotty, but as you're imo correctly musing the only bad decision is not making one because you can just as easily point out that you dont need the recharge if you can turbo doublejump in midair. Hipster/JumpShotty/Cryo is increasingly my default FunHaver loadout when I get to play Scout.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Coming back to this to say that I finally got a chance to pull some of this poo poo off in my own game, with friends around to actually see it. My parkour skills aren't anywhere near this smooth, but I did execute two neocyte breeders with the cryo grenade like this. Grappled up to the ceiling past one of the blimps, smacked it with a grenade on the way past, then caught myself with the shotgun before I hit the floor and watched the frozen breeder fall to the ground and explode like the goddamn Hindenburg.

I have never felt so cool in any videogame in my life. Naturally I ruined it by hollering "Did anyone see that?! PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE SAW THAT," but still. Jump shotgun is life, RIP Zhukovs

Edit: also went back through the thread looking for something and saw some old screenshots with names in them, and I actually played with Fishstick recently without realizing it! That's a fantastic in-game name.

Do you guys use faster recharge or longer reach on the first tier of Scout's grappling hook? Every time I switch it, I miss the other one

Always faster recharge. Always. Longer reach (because I'm bad, despite scout being my favorite class) just ends up getting me killed due to thinking I can get somewhere with the extended reach and falling to my death.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Just switched to Born Ready on engineer after losing a game by jumping off a cliff to a downed person with the intent of platforming on the way down, then discovering my gun was empty and plummeting to my death while doing that incredibly slow reload. The breach cutter reload also takes a zillion years, so it should hopefully be nice there too. Iirc someone recommended Born Ready as engi-mandatory way back in the thread and I forgot to try it, wish I had listened! :eng99:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Just switched to Born Ready on engineer after losing a game by jumping off a cliff to a downed person with the intent of platforming on the way down, then discovering my gun was empty and plummeting to my death while doing that incredibly slow reload. The breach cutter reload also takes a zillion years, so it should hopefully be nice there too. Iirc someone recommended Born Ready as engi-mandatory way back in the thread and I forgot to try it, wish I had listened! :eng99:

Born ready is only mandatory on the gunner and only with the Autocannon.

For everything else, just git gud :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Is it viable to play this with a group of two? Does it scale enemies correctly for fewer players?

I picked up copies for my wife and I, expecting we'd play with our co-op friend group. But they're all addicted to Gunfire Reborn for the foreseeable future, so it might just be us for a while, if the game is balanced for it.