Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s the area that leads to a room with two brick swinging trolls and a prison cell with a chair in the middle of it? I never found a way to get inside that cell, if the key is in there.

You can drop down from the plaza where the witches are (just before the laser amygdala) to get to the upper level of that room then drop into the cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I found it and I’m heading there now!

The Maria of astral clock tower fight. Now that was a rad fight. The blood sword stuff was nearly Sekiro! That showdown beforehand in the garden sure was weird as hell though. I don’t know if there was a mechanic or something I was supposed to figure out I just kept killing the enlarged head dudes and brute forced myself through it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Maria of astral clock tower fight. Now that was a rad fight. The blood sword stuff was nearly Sekiro! That showdown beforehand in the garden sure was weird as hell though. I don’t know if there was a mechanic or something I was supposed to figure out I just kept killing the enlarged head dudes and brute forced myself through it.

sekiro himself is banging his head against a wall in one of the cells after ludwig

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is the implication that Eileen and Djura and so on killed other Old Gods and then allowed Gehrman to kill them in the Dream to release them from servitude to the Moon Presence?

They basically got chosen to deal with specific crises before being released from their service by Gehrman, the only one we know any real details about is Djura's crisis was the burning of Old Yharnham and that he was likely the one to slay the Cleric Beast that once was Laurence

Imhotep posted:

It’s very easy to miss, and optional but you get cool swag there and it’s one of my favorite areas of the game. Also you get the badge that allows you to buy Beast Blood Pellets from there so I always try to rush there, I mean, you have to have killed Rom so you can’t really, but yeh. https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Upper+Cathedral+Key

And Poison Knives, can't forget about those either

Blind Rasputin posted:

There's basically two ways to handle Maria as a fight, either as an honorable 1v1 duel, or to go in with a full three man crew and bully her into the ground;

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 6, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Quote posted:

On my third playthrough and I'm just now realizing that the Quicksilver Bullet icon is not a tiny silver Raven. It is, in fact, a loving bullet.

Yeah you have to look at each item individually in the inventory menu to really appreciate them imo, for a long time I thought the bullet was a little statue of some kind too. I started looking through all my poo poo, and some of the pictures are surprisingly detailed and spooky.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

They basically got chosen to deal with specific crises before being released from their service by Gehrman, the only one we know any real details about is Djura's crisis was the burning of Old Yharnham and that he was likely the one to slay the Cleric Beast that once was Laurence

And Poison Knives, can't forget about those either

There's basically two ways to handle Maria as a fight, either as an honorable 1v1 duel, or to go in with a full three man crew and bully her into the ground;

Lmao. Yeah I got her on my own the second try. Got three viscerals on her, which almost seems to be made her weakness on purpose for the first and second thirds of the fight. When she starting throwing blood AND fire attacks at me it was just make sure I’m at full health and go in super aggressive so I can start swinging that saw spear a dozen times, take a few hits on the way out and do it again.

Her attacks are so so rad. I kind of wish they were something you could unlock and use yourself.

I had to take a screenshot of the room afterwards because there was blood just absolutely everywhere.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lmao. Yeah I got her on my own the second try. Got three viscerals on her, which almost seems to be made her weakness on purpose for the first and second thirds of the fight. When she starting throwing blood AND fire attacks at me it was just make sure I’m at full health and go in super aggressive so I can start swinging that saw spear a dozen times, take a few hits on the way out and do it again.

Her attacks are so so rad. I kind of wish they were something you could unlock and use yourself.

I had to take a screenshot of the room afterwards because there was blood just absolutely everywhere.

Maria is hands down my favorite souls boss fight. Everything about it is perfect. The music is loving amazing, the phases are great and tell a story, she is parryable, she is hard af but you can master her mechanics far easier than others fights, and msot of all THE loving LANTERN IS RIGHT BY THE BOSS gently caress YOU FROM ITS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY GOD DAMMIT

drrockso20 posted:

why are her pants missing

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

WoodrowSkillson posted:

For real, the comic wasn't funny in the first place but it's also skeevy for no reason

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Maria is hands down my favorite souls boss fight. Everything about it is perfect. The music is loving amazing, the phases are great and tell a story, she is parryable, she is hard af but you can master her mechanics far easier than others fights, and msot of all THE loving LANTERN IS RIGHT BY THE BOSS gently caress YOU FROM ITS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY GOD DAMMIT

Just very tight pants I believe

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I don't know if someone posted about this already at some point, but a modder is attempting to restore the unused beast boss from the Chalice Dungeon files (the community has dubbed it 'Great One Beast', though its name in the files is apparently 'SilverBeast'). Looks pretty impressive already, in my opinion. The battle arena is also cut content from the Chalices that ended up serving as the basis for the Orphan's arena; this video has some further details about it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo that owns and now I need a MHW Bloodborne crossover

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pants can be extremely restricting in a fight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I know its for ~thematic~ reasons but I do think Maria's fight hurts for not even starting until she's nearly at half health. Even in a 1 on 1 you can just bully her effortlessly with R1 combos until she powers up, then the part of the fight where she's actually dangerous can be ended with a couple of lucky parries.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

multijoe posted:

I know its for ~thematic~ reasons but I do think Maria's fight hurts for not even starting until she's nearly at half health. Even in a 1 on 1 you can just bully her effortlessly with R1 combos until she powers up, then the part of the fight where she's actually dangerous can be ended with a couple of lucky parries.

Not the first time though, unless you were a very good player already. For a whole lot of people she is pretty challenging. She hits like a truck so if you ha e bot mastered parrying she can be very dangerous as you only need to get tagged once or twice to be in trouble, and start panicking. However. With the lamp right next to her, you can dive right back in and it's fun as hell to keep trying.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

multijoe posted:

Yeah speaking of lucky parries. I posted this in the PS4 thread and from the reply, sounds like I got some very lucky parries that broke the entire encounter?

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1291777700277837824?s=21

Thank you all for helping me get to upper cathedral ward and Cainhurst. Two very very cool areas of the game. I kind of scratch my head thinking a dev could put so much work into these areas, but many players might never even experience them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fun fact, Maria is one of two bosses in the entire game that can Visceral Attack the player if they're in a stunned state. She even has a unique hug+whisper animation for doing so. Other interesting things, unlike the Chikage her blood-blades appear to be made by stabbing herself, an ability only seen in one other place (Queen Yharnam's boss fight). She appears to have either committed suicide or been killed by an Executioner (they slit throats quite a lot based on the ghosts of Cainhurst Castle).

Also she's the most shonen protagonist of all Bloodborne characters, her blood is literally boiling hot.

As for Simon and spoiler chat; I can’t find any suggestions that Simon was a contracted Hunter, there’s maybe one line that could be vaguely referring to as such but it’s nowhere near the confirmations that Djura (who outright knows you’re a dream hunter and comments on it several times) and Eileen (who directly mentions the doll) give.

^ You managed to skip his second phase via parrying and doing too much damage to him too fast, which I've never actually seen before. Normally you have to get him to half health and then backstab him out of animation or he becomes a right rear end in a top hat to fight, and can no longer be parried.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 7, 2020

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Blind Rasputin posted:

Thank you all for helping me get to upper cathedral ward and Cainhurst. Two very very cool areas of the game. I kind of scratch my head thinking a dev could put so much work into these areas, but many players might never even experience them.

don't forget to try on that new hat while you're there...!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lord_Magmar posted:

Fun fact, Maria is one of two bosses in the entire game that can Visceral Attack the player if they're in a stunned state. She even has a unique hug+whisper animation for doing so. Other interesting things, unlike the Chikage her blood-blades appear to be made by stabbing herself, an ability only seen in one other place (Queen Yharnam's boss fight). She appears to have either committed suicide or been killed by an Executioner (they slit throats quite a lot based on the ghosts of Cainhurst Castle).

Also she's the most shonen protagonist of all Bloodborne characters, her blood is literally boiling hot.

As for Simon and spoiler chat; I can’t find any suggestions that Simon was a contracted Hunter, there’s maybe one line that could be vaguely referring to as such but it’s nowhere near the confirmations that Djura (who outright knows you’re a dream hunter and comments on it several times) and Eileen (who directly mentions the doll) give.

^ You managed to skip his second phase via parrying and doing too much damage to him too fast, which I've never actually seen before. Normally you have to get him to half health and then backstab him out of animation or he becomes a right rear end in a top hat to fight, and can no longer be parried.

The Harrowed set says
"Certain Church hunters obfuscate their identities and slip into the nooks and crannies of the city.
This is the garb that allows these harrowed individuals to go unnoticed.
These hunters are keen to early signs of the scourge, serving as a first line of defense against its outbreak.
Or perhaps, when the time is right, they find signs of the scourge where there are none. It just goes to show, the corner beggar is not always who he seems."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thumper57 posted:

The hardest enemy in this game is no boss, it's the red eyed saif hunter halfway between Laurence and Ludwig.

It’s Naked Baby Rolling Hammer Man in the Chalice Dungeons, OP

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Am I getting invaded? In the dlc I keep hearing a bell ring and then some guy rips me to pieces and says, “unending death awaits those who pry into the unknown.” Wtf

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I getting invaded? In the dlc I keep hearing a bell ring and then some guy rips me to pieces and says, “unending death awaits those who pry into the unknown.” Wtf

Nah he's an NPC

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh I figured it out. I got attacked in the fishing village, died, then saying gently caress it I had that underground key I had forgotten I received so decided to go explore that. So I went to unlock that last cell and got attacked again on the way. That’s when I posted lol. Only to find out it’s HIM. He dead now. Weirdo is basically trolling me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Got a quote/link to it for how to get there? I'm at the Nightmare of Mensis/Nightmare Frontier, should I head back and do Upper Cathedral Ward/Cainhurst before moving on? Can I get locked out of any of that by going too far, not counting the final boss obviously

I ran around the Nightmare Frontier, and eventually got the shortcut, the next thing is I'm gonna fight the Amygdila, a boss I actually know nothing about outside of what the boss looks like. Also I got invaded while I was there, killed super easily by some guy named CzechDolls.CZ, and then the second go around I found the bell ringer. I did not realize she doesn't respawn, that's excellent news

edit: I figured it out, I am now in Upper Cathedral Ward. Those insight eating enemies can eat my entire rear end

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 7, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s Naked Baby Rolling Hammer Man in the Chalice Dungeons, OP

He is real and my friend and i wish he showed up more

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Those insight eating enemies can eat my entire rear end

Hint for those, in case you haven't tried that already: They're very susceptible to stabbing and electricity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also, if you mash the shoulder buttons when they grab you, you get out with only 1 insight lost instead of 2

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Imhotep posted:

The Harrowed set says
"Certain Church hunters obfuscate their identities and slip into the nooks and crannies of the city.
This is the garb that allows these harrowed individuals to go unnoticed.
These hunters are keen to early signs of the scourge, serving as a first line of defense against its outbreak.
Or perhaps, when the time is right, they find signs of the scourge where there are none. It just goes to show, the corner beggar is not always who he seems."

Yeah I know but him being a church Hunter does not make him a Hunter of the Dream which was what I was discussing.

Macaluso posted:

Got a quote/link to it for how to get there? I'm at the Nightmare of Mensis/Nightmare Frontier, should I head back and do Upper Cathedral Ward/Cainhurst before moving on? Can I get locked out of any of that by going too far, not counting the final boss obviously

I ran around the Nightmare Frontier, and eventually got the shortcut, the next thing is I'm gonna fight the Amygdila, a boss I actually know nothing about outside of what the boss looks like. Also I got invaded while I was there, killed super easily by some guy named CzechDolls.CZ, and then the second go around I found the bell ringer. I did not realize she doesn't respawn, that's excellent news

edit: I figured it out, I am now in Upper Cathedral Ward. Those insight eating enemies can eat my entire rear end

The only area in the game you can miss is actually the early visit to Hypogean Gaol in Yahar'gul.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Macaluso posted:

The fextralife wiki for bloodborne has very detailed info to how to get to both of these places. For upper cathedral ward, start at the second lamp post in the unseen village and run up the stairs that are shot at by the laser shooting spider. Follow the left railing along the open area at the top of the stairs until you find a break in the railing. Carefully drop down u til you enter a window, and subsequently fall into that prison cell. You’ll get the upper ward key. The door to the upper ward; start at cathedral ward lamp, use the right door, cross the bridge and go up through the tower to the door in the top that’s locked. That’ll get you in there.

For Cainhurst you have to go through the cave in the forbidden forest to reach the back entrance to isofeska’s clinic. That alone is kind of an adventure in exploration but you’ll know you’re on the right track inside the poisonous cave once you find a ladder going upwards for a long time. In the area you end up in, there are two entrances into the clinic, the back one is in the back of the open area.. takes some exploring to find. I think it involves going up onto the roofs. Inside the clinic is an invitation to Cainhurst via carriage.

Go to the Hemwick Charnal crossing lamp post.. the best one to go to is the witch one (where you fought the witch boss). The place the carriage picks you up is the spiky black obelisk in the center of the open area with the giant trolls with black capes carrying axes patrolling it (tons of dogs there too). As soon as you approach the carriage a cutscene starts.

I realized just today when I was in Mensis’ mansion I never pushed the thing down the elevator or met the big eyeball monster to kill it. I don’t think it’s worth going back just to do it at this point.

I think I want to get the Rakuyo blades in the fishing village and upgrade them to +9 to replace my saw spear. For a strength/skill build is that a good idea? Or stick with saw spear? I want a loving sword damnit. The Chikage requires too much arcane.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You do at some point have to go do the big eyeball thing. For one there's a blood rock (the best upgrade material) that you can't reach unless it's been dropped into the pit. For another when you go meet it in the pit you can get the best Eye Rune, and a mandatory material for the final story chalice dungeon.

Just remember when meeting a Great One you should at least try and talk to it. Use Make Contact in front of the brain of Mensis in the pit to get the rune. Even if the Brain is dead this will still work.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

also, if you mash the shoulder buttons when they grab you, you get out with only 1 insight lost instead of 2

Despite hundreds of hours on this game never got this right. Should I mash L1+R1 pressing both at the same time or R1, L1, R1, L1 in alternate presses? I've done it in the past while panicking but not a consistent thing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It’s R1, L1, R1, L1, up, down, left, right, X, O, ”gently caress”

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s R1, L1, R1, L1, up, down, left, right, X, O, ”gently caress”

No pachinko machines here mate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Started my new 99 Arcane character and just running around Yarnam for two hours dying over and over as I relearned all the controls and weapon timings. I think I’m gonna try this playthrough with Boost Mode off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bust Rodd posted:

Started my new 99 Arcane character and just running around Yarnam for two hours dying over and over as I relearned all the controls and weapon timings. I think I’m gonna try this playthrough with Boost Mode off.

Pure arcane has its challenges but there's nothing like laser beaming to death a boss you remember struggling against for hours in a few seconds flat

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
I switched over to my ng+ arcane character from my bloodtinge/skill character and booooooy going back to having useless viscerals is a hard pill to swallow

Also lol didn't realize the flaming boulder trap doesn't scale it's damage so none of the villagers on the bridge get killed by it

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wowporn posted:

I switched over to my ng+ arcane character from my bloodtinge/skill character and booooooy going back to having useless viscerals is a hard pill to swallow

To me having viscerals scale off of a stat is one of the worst things in the game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I got the Rakuyo this morning. I think I’m in love. Sorry saw spear.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

Ethiser posted:

To me having viscerals scale off of a stat is one of the worst things in the game.

I find it frustrating cause I really like trying to parry/visceral everything in the game but I do think it’s at least a good way of getting me to actually change up my play style in a meaningful way

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ethiser posted:

Not quite true, Viscerals also scale relatively well with levels. Just not the massive improvement they get from Skill scaling. It's mostly a side-effect of the fact that the base game is fairly clearly designed for either SKL/BT builds or STR/ARC builds.

Just remember, if someone is in a stunned state hitting them with any attack deals increased damage, so instead of going for a visceral line up a big old sword poke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Also note that visceral attacks do not care about your weapon, but they do care about your blood gems. Visceral attacks count as piercing damage and any gem that increases piercing damage (includes physical attack and all attack) also increases visceral damage. As such, arcane builds are double screwed since they usually have no physical gems. Hybrids with nourishing gems fare a bit better. If you use only one weapon, you could use a second one with physical gems for boosting visceral attacks.