Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's extremely good at being a sorcerer, but much too impatient and impulsive about flexing his incredible power to be what you'd expect of a lich. That said, I don't think it's all bad, it's certainly working for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's very good at being a murderous spellcaster but he's not very good at the "knowing the rules about liches" part. Didn't do a test run, didn't read the manual, decided "gently caress it we'll do it live undead"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
He's a bony, impatient gun. His answer to the question "and then what?" will never be anything other than Heightened Maximized Meteor Swarm.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

Another important thing about Xykon is that as powerful as he is, he's TERRIBLE at being a lich.

No one is really optimized in the setting however; and Xykon does seem to be somewhat efficacious in his time. Spending the maximum amount of time each day crafting magic items for example. So this isn't really a weakness I think, especially if we're looking at it as/in terms of what his flaw is and what could undo him later..

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Raenir Salazar posted:

No one is really optimized in the setting however;

Elan is! :buddy:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If we're looking for a flaw of Xykon's that will lead to his downfall I don't see it being anything other than his complete dismissal of other beings. Hell, the MitD is already rebelling and marking off random doors that no one's gone into, it's gonna get a lot worse when it decides to stop him.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In the words of the then late Mr. Greenhilt, "Xykon is smarter than he looks!".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

True, but it also helps the narrative quite a bit if Elan is able to contribute more to encounters :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shugojin posted:

If we're looking for a flaw of Xykon's that will lead to his downfall I don't see it being anything other than his complete dismissal of other beings. Hell, the MitD is already rebelling and marking off random doors that no one's gone into, it's gonna get a lot worse when it decides to stop him.

He still doesn't seem to plan ahead. When he fixates on a goal or task, he zeroes in with laser focus, but even his insurance with the MitD was a reaction to Xykon having reason to believe that Redcloak would eventually betray him rather than intuiting a future possibility. Naturally, it helps that he has enough firepower to blast almost any conceivable threat into dust, but it's still what I'd say is his biggest flaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that Xykon's fatal flaw is that he *is* too on top of things but isn't as good at responding to things that do catch him off guard. If he is aware of something he can handle it but if he's trapped in a situation he has little control over he has to hope that Meteor Swarm solves it or he's flailing. He's not terrible at improvising but almost every time we see him do so it ends up in a fairly bad situation for him.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think his fatal flaw is that nobody can control him; he's strong enough that even a control freak like Tarquin has to plan around him. But I mean, nobody can control him, not even himself. he's motivated by petty poo poo, his goals are attempting to fulfill his desires but that's an impossible task, and chasing after his impulses has left him ever more incapable of attaining any sort of actual fulfillment. he literally has lost all capacity to do anything but pursue naked, raw might: power is the ability to attain what one wants, and he will never archive that. he's powerless.

meanwhile, the character actually guaranteed a happy ending, the other one who fell outside Tarquin's control, is Elan, who has rejected power and his unrealistic desires. By rejecting the urge to control and the lure of power, he's demonstrated that not power can also be power.

i mean its not a helpful observation when it comes to the question of "okay but who can destroy you utterly" or "how does this translate to stopping the insanely strong dickwad", but you know, uh,

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiler Kiwi posted:

do liches dream of skeletal sheep
I Dream of Phylacteanie

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

My assumption is that Xykon's fatal flaw is that he *is* too on top of things but isn't as good at responding to things that do catch him off guard. If he is aware of something he can handle it but if he's trapped in a situation he has little control over he has to hope that Meteor Swarm solves it or he's flailing. He's not terrible at improvising but almost every time we see him do so it ends up in a fairly bad situation for him.

A good example of that is when Ghost-Matyr Soon almost put an end to Xykon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZearothK posted:

In the words of the then late Mr. Greenhilt, "Xykon is smarter than he looks!".

That's a low bar to clear, since he looks like a bonehead.

And say what you want about his use of lichdom, but he knew how to find a use for that +8 bonus to Listen checks.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't count Xykon out from knowing more about some of the plot twists coming up than we do right now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There's still the chekov's gun of him in Start of Darkness ordering the MitD to eat Redcloak if he betrays him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Xykon's tragic flaw is that he was too lazy to ever do any research into the plan. Instead, he trusted whatever Redcloak told him. That's going to be his downfall.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He did task Tsukiko with trying to figure out what exactly Redcloak's part of the ritual entailed. I have a hunch he knows a lot more than he lets on about the actual ritual, as is his MO.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ultrafilter posted:

Xykon's tragic flaw is that he was too lazy to ever do any research into the plan. Instead, he trusted whatever Redcloak told him. That's going to be his downfall.

Eh, I never really saw Xykon as lazy. I always thought of him as just allergic to planning. Rather than deliberating, he just rolls with circumstances as they are. Everything from his lichification in SoD to his willingness to use any methods in battle to win, including striking opponents physically or with found weapons (practically unheard of for casters) speaks for his preference to adapt rather than force conformity. He's archetypal Chaotic Evil.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

That's a low bar to clear, since he looks like a bonehead.

And say what you want about his use of lichdom, but he knew how to find a use for that +8 bonus to Listen checks.

That's sort of what I meant - he's just sort of winging lichdom. He's figured out the downsides pretty fast but hasn't appreciated/noticed some of the perks until they actually come up for him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He did task Tsukiko with trying to figure out what exactly Redcloak's part of the ritual entailed. I have a hunch he knows a lot more than he lets on about the actual ritual, as is his MO.

That's because he's a sorcerer, not a wizard. He's never studied magical theory, so he needed someone else to actually analyze the ritual.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Xykon always reminded me of Bill's monolog about superman in KB volume 2.

He's so in love with power I don"t think he'll be that mad if he doesn't win. When he nearly got merked by Soon he was just kinda wistful.

"We really had a shot at the prize for a moment there."

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 8, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Does anyone know *exactly* what Xykon's plans for the gates are? At first he seemed to be doing some kind of research, then shifted to (I think) becoming ruler of the world with the threat of releasing the Snarl.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

Does anyone know *exactly* what Xykon's plans for the gates are? At first he seemed to be doing some kind of research, then shifted to (I think) becoming ruler of the world with the threat of releasing the Snarl.

He still believes that the ritual directly controls the snarl

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Rub it in everyone's face, if his past behavior is any sort of indication. "Oh hey, all the nations of the stick world, look who has ultimate power. Suck my undead dick." "Oh hey gods, guess who can unmake all of you at a whim. Suck my undead dick."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Honestly, he'd probably get bored in a month of making the gods fight as gladiators against each other and try to figure out how to ascent to godhood. He's gotta keep chasing the next promise of power to avoid the big fire below.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

One thing I hope happens is that Xykon meets Tarquin at some point. It'd end in Tarquin's swift death, but still.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I can see Tarquin making his grand re-entrance just as the final battle is about to begin, proclaiming that he’ll at least be the Han to Elan’s Luke to still remain relevant... And Xykon just effortlessly kills him while expressing some minor annoyance at having to waste a spell slot on that.

And then the epilogue reveals that without him, his share of the empires collapsed just about overnight without him reigning the empress’s worst excesses, and he’s just a minor historical footnote at best.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

One thing I hope happens is that Xykon meets Tarquin at some point. It'd end in Tarquin's swift death, but still.

I think Tarquin is probably permanently out of the main story. Leaving him as an unfinished sidequest while all the major plot stuff happened around him is probably the worst outcome fro his point of view, and I kind of think that going back to him before a side story/epilogue, if ever, takes a bit of the sting out of his last appearance.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I loved the technobabble in the Tsukiko confrontation. Also Redcloak pronouncing the fake phylactery to be exact down to the last scratch while comparing glorified MSpaint loops with a circle stamp.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly, he'd probably get bored in a month of making the gods fight as gladiators against each other and try to figure out how to ascent to godhood. He's gotta keep chasing the next promise of power to avoid the big fire below.

Yeah, it's this. The Snarl is, like all the power he's gained so far, just another tool to... not go to Demon Town after he dies.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

A.o.D. posted:

Rub it in everyone's face, if his past behavior is any sort of indication. "Oh hey, all the nations of the stick world, look who has ultimate power. Suck my undead dick." "Oh hey gods, guess who can unmake all of you at a whim. Suck my undead dick."

"Uh, sir, liches don't have genitals."

"......... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“-OOOOOOOOOOh wait we can just magick up a replacement.”

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Regalingualius posted:

“-OOOOOOOOOOh wait we can just magick up a replacement.”

I'm sure this splatbook exists. Please, no one go look for it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm sure this splatbook exists. Please, no one go look for it.

I don't need to, because its fame precedes it. The Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, Xykon's not one of those disgusting biophiliacs, so enough, take it to the fanfiction sites!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In this case, the bony dick in question is purely metaphorical.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

In this case, the bony dick in question is purely metaphorical.

Unless you create like... A lich centaur or something or from an animal that still has dick bones.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liches don't even have brains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

Liches don't even have brains!