Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

Approaching Infinity sells better for 10$ on steam instead of for 40$ on some random publisher website, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Approaching Infinity sells better for 10$ on steam instead of for 40$ on some random publisher website, who knew?

Hey now, Shrapnel Games isn't just some random publisher; they're the assholes who held Dominions hostage for years. It was what, $60 and mail-order only? Seriously, gently caress Shrapnel

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh god, if they were under the same thumb that kept dominions down for so long then i feel bad for them

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I wish Dominions could be properly turn based or had decent AI to play single player because I really want to explore that world and those mechanics, but I feel there's a big barrier there.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm happy as heck for the guy, and hope it really develops into something special.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Void bastards on sale! Impressions?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

I got it in the Humble Monthly pack last month. It's good, kind of like a more action-oriented version of System Shock, although it's still viable to play stealthily. It has meta-progression in the form of unlocking equipment. So when your character dies, you lose things like ammunition, resources and whatever unique traits they had, but you keep access to whatever equipment you unlocked.

The campaign is a little bit like FTL in that you choose which path to take and you are limited by food and fuel. Different ships will have different loot to get and also different enemy types. There's a lot of risk/reward and your food will prevent you from waiting in the same place too long and your fuel will dictate to some extent how much you can explore before going back to the main path. Some ships will have special modifiers that change your tactics or approach. I like it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

teacup posted:

it's one of my favorite roguelites! I highly suggest starting on hard difficulty though.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Extremely. I’ve completed 5 runs and might go back for another at some point, although you need to play on hard (eventually hard bastard) for the game to stay engaging since it’s basically all about regulating resources and you get too many resources on normal. haven’t messed with the really restrictive modes like foon mode or “[weapon category] only” and think the default mode is the way to go since the game is a bit too long for the gimmicky challenge modes they added not to overstay their welcome, since they limit your gear overmuch.

the game feels like a better version of FTL where the RNG is just as extremely swingy, either for your benefit or to your detriment, with some ships that literally have no hostile enemies at all and others that are suicide to even enter; except void bastards actually gives you that information ahead of time to let you choose how much you’re willing to risk, which is a really good formula. The gameplay on ships is serviceable, where the game really shines is the resource/risk-based decision making that drives everything you do on the star map

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wish Dominions could be properly turn based or had decent AI to play single player because I really want to explore that world and those mechanics, but I feel there's a big barrier there.

What do you mean by properly turn-based?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

teacup posted:

It's a rogue-lite and I quite like it, although it has some definite flaws. If you just keep playing and getting parts you will eventually win even if you're very bad at it (as long as you aren't play it on the dissolving universe difficulty). I would play through it on Hard (but not Void Bastard) even on your first playthrough because normal is still too easy. My tip: Every part has a defined drop location, e.g. the nutri tray is always in the lux dining hall, FTL Nozzle will be in the FTL drive, etc, but I don't believe this is fully documented anywhere online. This is good to know so you can 1. beeline to the parts and get out 2. not waste credits unlocking cabinets in areas that have zero chance of giving you something usable.

Also disagree with Dramicus that playing stealthily is viable. Yes you will often ignore enemies and evade pursuers, but the game does not really support a stealth style.

edit: of the challenge modes I like Authority Figure the most, but Termination Bonus is also interesting.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 8, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dramicus posted:

I'm just drinking coffee and this poo poo's fun. You can actually do some pretty interesting builds, but they only start emerging around stage 5 or so. I would recommend always picking up the +health whenever it's available though. It gives you a little more breathing room and takes some of the pressure off.

For those interested, most of the runs are really fast, 1-5 minutes. I guess a full run would be something in the neighborhood of 10-12 minutes. That doesn't sound like much, but it's 10 minutes of non-stop, no time to think action. It may not be immediately apparent but there are a lot of tactical decisions you make as you play. Also, it's only 2 bucks. Get it, you will absolutely get 2 bucks of fun out of it.

For literally $2, it's really fun. I'm starting to consistently clear the first 3 or so levels, and slowly am learning how the later levels and new enemies/obstacles work. I probably need to turn down the x-axis sensitivity though, because holy poo poo does the game want me to spin in circles any time I even slightly inch the mouse over.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Phigs posted:

What do you mean by properly turn-based?
I assume they mean alternating turns, rather than simultaneous ones.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's also the Conquest of Elysium series, which is their similar single player game.

The AI there is a little spotty in places, too. A bit too much shotgun creation of units that wander around the map wasting your time, instead of ever consolidating their forces and trying to actually beat the player's army.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 8, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Conquest of Elysium is like a carnival. Sometimes you're just screwed right our of the gate. I like to play in big maps with lots of AI to counteract generation issues.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's still an incredibly huge engine with a baffling number of options, just not nearly as many as Dominions.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Elephant Parade posted:

I assume they mean alternating turns, rather than simultaneous ones.

Yeah, exactly. I don't know why but doing simultaneous turns when it's not real time feels weird and it never clicked for me. I loved reading those old LPs of big goon games though and even bought a physical book for Dominions 4.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

One Way Heroics is perfectly decent, I just wish the moment to moment gameplay was more fun. 95% of it is bumping into dudes and agonizing over weight limits.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bees x1000 posted:

One Way Heroics is perfectly decent, I just wish the moment to moment gameplay was more fun. 95% of it is bumping into dudes and agonizing over weight limits.

I think this can mitigated by power building early on and fighting the boss earlier

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

For literally $2, it's really fun. I'm starting to consistently clear the first 3 or so levels, and slowly am learning how the later levels and new enemies/obstacles work. I probably need to turn down the x-axis sensitivity though, because holy poo poo does the game want me to spin in circles any time I even slightly inch the mouse over.

I've found that it's best if you commit to a weapon throughout the run and pick upgrades that are geared specifically to that weapon. For example, the "extra clips" upgrade doesn't really matter much for the pistol or smg, but it drastically improves the effectiveness of the shotgun each time you take it. So, pick something to specialize in and lean in as hard as you can. I still think taking the +health whenever it shows up is the optimal move as the later levels get progressively complex and I've found that you go through enemy-dense sections interspersed with long winding sections that are sort of meant to drain your health through enemy scarcity and ambushes. Like around stage 9 you start seeing long hallways that go up and down levels and sort of hide the way forward and they are filled with small enemies that are tough to hit with anything other than the shotgun.

It's a really polished and well-put-together experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

The learning period is long, so by the time you stop being a noob and see how the AI is really lacking, 60 hours will pass. Which is enough imo for the price.

This is why I still recommend it as single player game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don't know why but doing simultaneous turns when it's not real time feels weird and it never clicked for me. I loved reading those old LPs of big goon games though and even bought a physical book for Dominions 4.

Simultaneous turns is the only way to make dozen+ player pbem games even remotely manageable.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I guess what I'd really want is some way to play it with a few friends where we could team up against a bunch of AI opponents, like we'd do in Age of Wonders. I know it's not the same kind of game really, that's just how I think I'd have the most fun with it.

I should really explore it more, even single player like you're saying, there's a lot of play before it gets impossible to lose and enough different civilizations to try out to keep it interesting.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
FWIW you can play Conquest of Elysium in multiplayer! However the "sometimes you're just hosed right out the gate" thing still applies and that can make it tedious to coordinate a start that everyone's happy with. I wouldn't really recommend a serious competitive game, the balance is all hosed to hell (:rip: if you're playing Enchanter or something and a Dryad Queen or High Priestess happens to wander by).

I played a "competitive co-op" round with two friends, where we all played different Archbishops of El and competed to convert all of Elysium and become the Pope (and then cause Armageddon). That was a lot of fun.

e: It's also fun to play other weird themed teams, like going dwarves + pale ones + earth warlocks and attempting to fully explore and conquer the underworld using digging units, or going high priestess + hoburg + enchanter and just strip-mining the entire map until nothing remains but gentle hills and hoburg villages

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 8, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CoE has an even worse AI than Dominions. Just saying.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Still banging away at Nuclear Throne, still nowhere near beating the ice level.

Two criticisms:
-I hate the portals' auto-suck mechanism with a burning passion. I know why it exists, but it seems counterproductive as I'm super cautious of clearing a stage lest I miss a red chest or leave a weapon behind.
-And the isometric walls you walk behind are objectively terrible and totally undefendable. Aiming/walking past them is a mess, they need to be 1/3 as high as they are or just SOMETHING.

It also took me way too long to realize the basic bullet does 3 damage, not 1. That's not really telegraphed imo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Invisible Inc the cyberpunk stealth-heist roguelite is only $5. I highly recommend it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/Invisible_Inc/

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Serephina posted:

It also took me way too long to realize the basic bullet does 3 damage, not 1. That's not really telegraphed imo.
it's telegraphed by the fact that you take 3 damage whenever you get hit by a bullet

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serephina posted:

Two criticisms:
-I hate the portals' auto-suck mechanism with a burning passion. I know why it exists, but it seems counterproductive as I'm super cautious of clearing a stage lest I miss a red chest or leave a weapon behind.

I haven't actually beaten Nuclear Throne yet, so maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you should be focusing on speed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't actually beaten Nuclear Throne yet, so maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you should be focusing on speed.

Outside of fighting Lil' Hunter, it's more about twitch skills and keeping the combat arena under control. Speed helps but isn't vital.

It may help to know that if you don't open a red chest, future red chests have a chance to be big (dropping 3 weapons); that chance doesn't reset until you get a big red chest, so it's actually perfectly viable to just skip opening red chests if you like your current weapons well enough and want a better chance at getting access to high-level ones later. By a similar token, if you skip a rad canister, the next rad canister will be larger. Don't do that too much though... (or do, it's part of unlocking one of the characters).

That just leaves the ammo chests as things you can miss out on, but usually missing an ammo chest isn't a huge problem.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Outside of fighting Lil' Hunter, it's more about twitch skills and keeping the combat arena under control. Speed helps but isn't vital.

It may help to know that if you don't open a red chest, future red chests have a chance to be big (dropping 3 weapons); that chance doesn't reset until you get a big red chest, so it's actually perfectly viable to just skip opening red chests if you like your current weapons well enough and want a better chance at getting access to high-level ones later. By a similar token, if you skip a rad canister, the next rad canister will be larger. Don't do that too much though... (or do, it's part of unlocking one of the characters).

That just leaves the ammo chests as things you can miss out on, but usually missing an ammo chest isn't a huge problem.
Large rad canisters actually hold slightly less than double the rads of a regular canister, so going for them isn't helpful. Also, large chests don't just drop three weapons--they drop three weapons from the next level's pool, meaning that shooting for large chests can get you better weapons, not just more weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah, the short answer is that getting pulled into the next level right away rarely ever matters much and you usually don't need to worry about combing through every level. the biggest thing you have to worry about is actually the portal blowing up nearby objects like cars.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What weapons are you using? Good common weapons for beating the ice city are things like sluggers and crossbows which can one-shot yetis mid-charge. The AR takes two bursts but is still fine. The big theme of the ice city is that it's the first place with lots of enemies that come after you instead of sitting around or wandering mostly-randomly, so you have to be very aggressive about identifying and putting them down. Ammo is cheap, lean on that fire button.

e: with regards to getting caught in the portal, after you've played a bit you'll know exactly when and where it'll spawn -- it always pops up at the location of the last enemy's corpse. That makes it pretty easy to escape them (though the above posters are correct in that there's usually no point).

megane fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 8, 2020

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I and a couple friends got into NT around the same time, and for a while we were all stuck around lil hunter too. At some point we learned that two shots of the Assault Slugger will kill him right away and that's how we did it til we got good enough to get him with other stuff. You might need Scarier Face, but you should get that every time imo, changes a huge number of weapons from two shot kills to one shot kills, which obviously has great synergy with trigger fingers.

Fun bonus: if you like YV, you can blaap lil hunter with an assault slugger and kill him before he finishes his first shot!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

any crossbow with homing shot will make quick work of him, too

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My favorite NT moment ever was getting to Lil' Hunter with YV, throne butt (i.e. "fire 4 shots with one click"), and a nuke launcher.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'm still trying to find a new replacement for Nuclear Throne and Gungeon. Played the hell out of those games a few years ago and haven't found another yet that comes close. Neurovoider seems to be the closest but it isn't clicking for me so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Escape Goat posted:

I'm still trying to find a new replacement for Nuclear Throne and Gungeon. Played the hell out of those games a few years ago and haven't found another yet that comes close. Neurovoider seems to be the closest but it isn't clicking for me so far.

Dead Cells and Hades are my faves, but maybe they scratch a different itch than those, as they are more 'overhead dual stick shooter with a bit of bullet hell'. /shrug

Maybe Exit the Gungeon? They updated it some weeks ago and now weapons are not totally random.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Escape Goat posted:

Maybe Monolith? It's got a different pace but might be similar enough to scratch the itch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Synthetik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Escape Goat posted:

Monolith