Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

8BBC chat: it took me until the last five minutes of the second part of Mega Man 2 to realize they were not saying "colon: Dylan Sprouse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I can’t believe they got Adam Driver for the 8BBC. Really takes it to a whole new level

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm just glad he stayed on for naddpod. Akarot wouldn't have been the same without him.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I can't believe Adam Driver put on a hundred lbs to play Pendergreens. What an actor.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

My feelings for Trinyvale have been closer to lukewarm more than anything else, but IMO that was pretty much a perfect finale for the campaign.

Feb 2, 2005

Phlag posted:

My feelings for Trinyvale have been closer to lukewarm more than anything else, but IMO that was pretty much a perfect finale for the campaign.

Caldwell basically hit every first time GM trope and pitfall, but you can't really blame him for that. It's really hard.

The player characters were so loving good that it didn't matter how bad the story was. A more experienced GM would have quickly realized that the best thing to do would be to get out of their way and let them be the disasters they are.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still halfway through the finale now, and losing it at Jens' "inspirational" speech. Also I know it's a lame trope for the NPCs to rush in and save the day at the last minute but for this particular band of "heroes," especially in the context of that loving speech, I think it would be kind of hilarious if the grand ending was the PCs completely eating poo poo and getting bailed out by NPCs but taking the credit anyway

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm still halfway through the finale now, and losing it at Jens' "inspirational" speech. Also I know it's a lame trope for the NPCs to rush in and save the day at the last minute but for this particular band of "heroes," especially in the context of that loving speech, I think it would be kind of hilarious if the grand ending was the PCs completely eating poo poo and getting bailed out by NPCs but taking the credit anyway

Personally I was hoping for a "bad" ending where The Triplets keep the god's power for themselves and selfishly rule over Trinyvale. Jens hinted at it as a goof but I really wish they would have run with it! I've never seen a campaign end with a twist evil ending, but for this party I think it would have been pitch perfect and very funny

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm about halfway through Trinyvale and yeah, Caldwell is definitely running into all the usual inexperienced DM pitfalls but everyone is clearly having too much fun playing for that to matter much.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think Caldwell did the best he could he definitely was trying but yeah if that was just some random group playing it would have been a dud instead I enjoyed it just because of the goofs and flawed characters

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Do it ironically posted:

I think Caldwell did the best he could he definitely was trying but yeah if that was just some random group playing it would have been a dud instead I enjoyed it just because of the goofs and flawed characters

To me it kind of came off like your parents trying to dress cool and saying "yo" a lot. As the DM he needs to be a parent and say no because it's the rebellion and irreverence of the PCs that makes the goofs so outrageous, but when the DM is bending the will of the world to say "yes, and then this even goofier thing happens!" It can almost sort of make it less fun. That's why I think Caldwell is a great player, but as a DM he's too lenient and goof-forward.

lol goof-forward

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

timp posted:

To me it kind of came off like your parents trying to dress cool and saying "yo" a lot. As the DM he needs to be a parent and say no because it's the rebellion and irreverence of the PCs that makes the goofs so outrageous, but when the DM is bending the will of the world to say "yes, and then this even goofier thing happens!" It can almost sort of make it less fun. That's why I think Caldwell is a great player, but as a DM he's too lenient and goof-forward.

lol goof-forward

DM Caldwell had Big Beverly Energy, and I abso-loving-lutely loved it.

Probably best as a single campaign, but sometimes I love frosting on top of my frosting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You gotta give him credit for doing some clever stuff with the fights at least to make them not traditional "combat" encounters (ie the trial, or the cooking maw maw thing, or the apparently completely improvised dance battle). Given the goofy tone of the campaign it would have been weird if the triplets were constantly getting into fights to the death with gods or whatever, I think caldwell's approach to the encounters was refreshing and fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Seluin posted:

DM Caldwell had Big Beverly Energy, and I abso-loving-lutely loved it.

Probably best as a single campaign, but sometimes I love frosting on top of my frosting.

Yeah I would not want every campaign to be like this but there is little I enjoy more in this sort of podcast than hearing people having an absolute blast with each other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea going with these smaller experimental 'let's just have fun for a few weeks and see what happens' campaigns is smart. I wouldn't want a whole podcast around what Caldwell was doing, but I very much enjoyed the little nibble we got and now am eager for Underwater Nonsense With Emily.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the court battle was some of their funniest content in a long time, i think caldwell started hitting his stride towards the end of it when he was able to start doing this more regularly and felt comfortable to be weirder

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

eke out posted:

the court battle was some of their funniest content in a long time, i think caldwell started hitting his stride towards the end of it when he was able to start doing this more regularly and felt comfortable to be weirder

That was good my favourite was peak Jens dancing for the prince

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm on episode 14 or 15 of Trinyvale right now, and while I couldn't tell you what the overarching plot was, on the episode-to-episode level it's very entertaining. Each episode has an extreme chaotic energy brought by the PCs and supported by Caldwell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The plot of Trinyvale as I understand it:

IT'S A JAM TRAP, BROTHER!

also something something crystals

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Basically if Caldwell had people who didn't know what they were doing Trinyvale would just be graduation

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I just tried to write an effort post explaining the plot of trinyvale, but I realized that I didn't understand anything by the time I reached the second sentence. It's a very fun adventure, but it's 100% character and goof focused.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tenik posted:

I just tried to write an effort post explaining the plot of trinyvale, but I realized that I didn't understand anything by the time I reached the second sentence. It's a very fun adventure, but it's 100% character and goof focused.

It was seriously maguffin hunt, gods crash in, maguffin hunt, kill god

Still enjoyed it

Do it ironically posted:

Basically if Caldwell had people who didn't know what they were doing Trinyvale would just be graduation

Is anybody else finding Graduation boring? It's dragging for me at least, even with 1 hour episodes every two weeks. Yet I'm always eager for 2+ hours a week of these goofs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's "Graduation"?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

What's "Graduation"?

It's the Adventure Zone's new campaign. I think they're going weekly right now though, although it's not nearly as popular as previous ones.

And todays DM court was fun as hell.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It was seriously maguffin hunt, gods crash in, maguffin hunt, kill god

Still enjoyed it

Is anybody else finding Graduation boring? It's dragging for me at least, even with 1 hour episodes every two weeks. Yet I'm always eager for 2+ hours a week of these goofs.

It's not been well-received, yeah. I bounced off it early but apparently travis has been listening to feedback and it's been getting better? I don't really care enough to find out though, I already have three d&d podcasts that i try to keep up with regularly so I'm kind of grateful for the excuse to drop one

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Caldwell's pacing is incredibly good. Being able to turn out entire adventures in a single session, like he did in almost every single Trinyvale episode, is a talent.

Like it is very easy to spend too long on a scene, realise you're not gonna get to the end of your adventure's plot within two hours, and go, "ah, um, we'll continue this next time!". I think that happens once in the whole run of Trinyvale. For the most part he's masterful at keeping things pacey.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

timp posted:

lol goof-forward

I mean he's the DUncle.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Pendergreens still the GOAT

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Pendergreens still the GOAT

It’s been so long since I heard him, I was dying once Murphy started the bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VaultAggie posted:

It’s been so long since I heard him, I was dying once Murphy started the bit.

It escalated real, real quick too, holy poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I finished the show a while a go and just wanna say it was a blast, my favorite DND podcast for sure. I wish more characters could be like Hardwon, Motherfucker never second guessed himself for a second so decisive. Moonshine was great too, although she might've questioned herself a little too much. Beverly was really good too, but he was my least favorite. Don't know why but his arc just didn't hit as hard, maybe just too much vacillating between teen orders.

Murphy did a great job wrangling those fools into make some great, really fun and emotional content.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Hardwon... never second guessed himself for a second so decisive

i honestly can't tell if this is irony lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hardwon wrote that post

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Gaius Marius posted:

I finished the show a while a go and just wanna say it was a blast, my favorite DND podcast for sure. I wish more characters could be like Hardwon, Motherfucker never second guessed himself for a second so decisive. Moonshine was great too, although she might've questioned herself a little too much. Beverly was really good too, but he was my least favorite. Don't know why but his arc just didn't hit as hard, maybe just too much vacillating between teen orders.

Murphy did a great job wrangling those fools into make some great, really fun and emotional content.

Jake account spotted

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
About once a week I think of the Christmas special short rest where Jake reflects on how it made him feel - his friend Amir "trying to kill the character I sometimes dream as."

I fully cannot imagine a funnier sentence.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jake going from 'I have never done a D&D before I hope I don't suck too bad' to 'I AM HARDWON' in like, not even one episode is the most adorable thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Jake going from 'I have never done a D&D before I hope I don't suck too bad' to 'I AM HARDWON' in like, not even one episode is the most adorable thing.

Yeah I think Jake's journey from "I'm uhhhh a strong human fighter, with a beard, who boasts a lot" to everything he ultimately grows into is a lot of what makes the podcast real fun. Emily and Caldwell come out of the gate hard and fast with lots of strong character choices, so the contrast with Jake is fun, especially for listeners who also don't have a lot of d&d experience themselves.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I think Hardwon's strength and confidence and decisiveness is neat and everyone should want to be like Hardwon. The rest of the boobs are great and Murph is a fantastic DM but Hardwon really carries the show. More people should be like me--I mean him.

On a more serious note, I agree completely that Jake's growth is a large part of what made the first campaign so charming and fun. Emily and Caldwell are great, and I love that Bev and Moonshine started as such strong characters, but Jake's growing connection to the setting and his character made the whole campaign feel like it was personal, instead of just a performance. I'm a bit anxious that Campaign 2 might not have that same connection, but I'm optimistic that the gang can pull off an even better show now that they all have more experience in their respective roles.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tenik posted:

I think Hardwon's strength and confidence and decisiveness is neat and everyone should want to be like Hardwon. The rest of the boobs are great and Murph is a fantastic DM but Hardwon really carries the show. More people should be like me--I mean him.

On a more serious note, I agree completely that Jake's growth is a large part of what made the first campaign so charming and fun. Emily and Caldwell are great, and I love that Bev and Moonshine started as such strong characters, but Jake's growing connection to the setting and his character made the whole campaign feel like it was personal, instead of just a performance. I'm a bit anxious that Campaign 2 might not have that same connection, but I'm optimistic that the gang can pull off an even better show now that they all have more experience in their respective roles.

I'm tempted to be nervous too, after watching TAZ fall on its rear end after the first campaign, but trinyvale and all the side poo poo they've done has been really really funny so I'm confident that they have the chops to do another great season. I mean, monster madness had me laughing until I was in tears at times, and that was just a goofy pokemon tournament.

I guess it's a little different because they're going to have to try to make season 2 a compelling story with proper character growth and emotional beats and all that (and while I ended up loving trinyvale, I won't pretend it had any of those things) and that lightning is a little harder to bottle, but if nothing else, it should be funny, which is mostly why I tune in to naddpod anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I don't think the boobs are really in danger of falling into the melodrama trap of later TAZ. They started off zany fantasy adventure and stayed that course with a consistent tone, plus the player dynamic is so strong that it works even when they aren't playing characters at all (see: every short rest) so I'm really not worried