Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Goodbye Opiate of the Masses

Ted Rall posted:

One of the few good things about the COVID-19 lockdown as far as I’m concerned has been the fact that we have concentrated on important issues like police racism and stopped emphasizing things like sports and religion.

Tags: Baseball, last refuge, masses, opiate of the masses, Potemkin sports, Sports

First Dog on the Moon: It is possible to pay attention to science and then help actual animals on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'm the interstate sign on a street corner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Obama has a singular quality amongst US Presidents that wins him that prize.

I'm still sad that I accurately predicted the level of mind-losing and hatred that quality would stoke the night of his election. My only failed prediction was caused by him leaving office alive.

That we can credit to the diligence of the Secret Service (hi guys!) and the stupidity of the average racist. :preacher: There were certainly enough people who wanted him dead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Winslow was kidnapped for that thing he tweeted.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Strawman, the comic.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Exchange C with P because :tinsley:s are notorious rapists

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Artificial Kid posted:

Bullshit. Fauci has dealt honestly with an evolving crisis full of uncertainties, and unlike most of America's leaders at various levels he has tried to save American lives. I can't even imagine what it's like for him, trying to foster sound public policy while embedded in an administration that is willfully doing everything wrong, and even leaking against him, misleadingly, to try to paint him as incompetent. You sound like you're living in a fantasy world where the pandemic arises on Tuesday morning and by Tuesday afternoon a bunch of sexily-lit scientists have sequenced it and released an antidote that spreads through the water system to save everyone. Fauci, from the start, has been dealing with incomplete information and new, emerging facts that often challenge previous medical orthodoxy (e.g. the utility of surgical masks against a respiratory virus when used en masse). And unlike someone working in a purely scientific capacity, he does not have the luxury or waiting until the facts are established before giving an answer, because very day 300 million people want to know how to deal with the pandemic, and his job every day, whether in front of the press or through policy work, is to answer that question.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

The World has always taken a beating from humans, but those beatings have now become potentially much larger.

Yesterday a horrific and powerful bomb detonated in Beirut, killing a great many. I read it was 1/5th the strength of the Hiroshima bomb. Our condolences to the victims.

The blast might be explained away as an accident (I doubt it–how could huge amount of dangerous chemicals be allowed to remain stockpiled so close to a major city? More likely it was set off intentionally to accomplish a goal known only to its perpetrators. Beirut was once listed among the most beautiful (and stable) cities in the world before it became a crossroads for war.

The United States was also beautiful and stable for a long while, thanks to our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Now the Marxists are ruining our cities and they want to destroy our country. The mass media and the Democrats are aligned with this. Too many powerful people at the top seem to want a Chinese communist system and they’re using their scamdemic as leverage to get it.

While we have all experienced ‘world weariness’ from time to time, the World has had to endure it for countless centuries because mankind’s follies are endless.

– Ben Garrison

Mass distractions to keep us from looking at the released Maxwell documents? Keep your eye on the ball!

Tina

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:perfect:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I get what their usual talking points against communism are, but how does it harm the planet?
And when has Garrison pretended to care about the environment?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Vib Rib posted:

I get what their usual talking points against communism are, but how does it harm the planet?
And when has Garrison pretended to care about the environment?

Garrison's cartoons follow Fisher King rules, where if The Good Guys are in power, everything is sunshine and rainbows, with bright colors and happy songbirds fluttering through the vibrant trees, and all of the citizens are smiling and dancing. But, if The Bad Guys are (slash might be) in power, colors are muted, there are puddles of sludge everywhere, the trees are gnarled and twisted and everyone is visibly miserable.

Y'know in The Lion King, when Scar takes over Pride Rock, and everything goes to poo poo and it becomes a barren wasteland within like a year? It's like that but with America.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If only.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Yeah it works whether you know who it's specifically making GBS threads on or take them as a generic person to be poo poo on.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

I've heard so many people (in the past and unfortunately currently as well) try to make long winded arguments like these and it's so boring because it's right before or after they drop a hard N-word or just spent 20 minutes complaining about specific instances where black people irritated them by doing things everyone does. Like, the variety of racist I get exposed to most is "I want to be able to denigrate minorities and worship any cop who kills one while also claiming I'm not at all racist." That or some variation of "I'm not racist, I'm just right about black people!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Artificial Kid posted:

Bullshit. Fauci has dealt honestly with an evolving crisis full of uncertainties, and unlike most of America's leaders at various levels he has tried to save American lives. I can't even imagine what it's like for him, trying to foster sound public policy while embedded in an administration that is willfully doing everything wrong, and even leaking against him, misleadingly, to try to paint him as incompetent. You sound like you're living in a fantasy world where the pandemic arises on Tuesday morning and by Tuesday afternoon a bunch of sexily-lit scientists have sequenced it and released an antidote that spreads through the water system to save everyone. Fauci, from the start, has been dealing with incomplete information and new, emerging facts that often challenge previous medical orthodoxy (e.g. the utility of surgical masks against a respiratory virus when used en masse). And unlike someone working in a purely scientific capacity, he does not have the luxury or waiting until the facts are established before giving an answer, because very day 300 million people want to know how to deal with the pandemic, and his job every day, whether in front of the press or through policy work, is to answer that question.

Fauci is not supposed to "have the answer," especially not before the press. He is not supposed to do this sort of availwork; hell, he didn't during the HIV crisis. He runs an NIH office; his primary job is overseeing research grant disbursement. I have written about this in the relevant thread.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

quote:

how could huge amount of dangerous chemicals be allowed to remain stockpiled so close to a major city?

How indeed...

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I haven't done one of these in years, but the ones I did bent over backwards to avoid suggesting that racism is the modal white person's fault. It was more "we're just begging you to please think deeply for like a minute about some of the systems you live within. They are bad for you too."

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How indeed...

Fun fact: The reason you can't go into the crown of the Statue of Liberty anymore is because a WWI munitions factory on the Jersey City waterfront exploded and the shockwave damaged the statue. There was an enormous coverup that was lifted shockingly recently.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Grimdude posted:

I've heard so many people (in the past and unfortunately currently as well) try to make long winded arguments like these and it's so boring because it's right before or after they drop a hard N-word or just spent 20 minutes complaining about specific instances where black people irritated them by doing things everyone does. Like, the variety of racist I get exposed to most is "I want to be able to denigrate minorities and worship any cop who kills one while also claiming I'm not at all racist." That or some variation of "I'm not racist, I'm just right about black people!"

I heard exactly this screed from a high school friend on Facebook who was sick and tired of "being made to feel shame for what she didn't do".

Within a few posts she was proudly stating that she had done a lot of introspection like the left wanted and come to the conclusion that she was not racist, and that in fact racism was mostly eliminated except for a few specific geographic areas, and black people's problems would be solved if they just accepted Jesus and stopped abandoning their kids without fathers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's the typical right wing overreaction.

Being told to wear masks during a deadly plague: GOVERNMENT TYRANNY
Increasing taxes on the wealthy by 1%: THE GOVERNMENT IS GOING TO TAKE EVERYTHING I OWN
Hey, maybe have a little bit of empathy and introspection and realize that your words and actions can be unintentionally hurtful: YOU WANT ME TO BE ASHAMED OF BEING WHITE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE

It's always the same thing with these snowflakes.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

wizzardstaff posted:

I heard exactly this screed from a high school friend on Facebook who was sick and tired of "being made to feel shame for what she didn't do".

Within a few posts she was proudly stating that she had done a lot of introspection like the left wanted and come to the conclusion that she was not racist, and that in fact racism was mostly eliminated except for a few specific geographic areas, and black people's problems would be solved if they just accepted Jesus and stopped abandoning their kids without fathers.

I've always wondered about this last bit pertaining to dads leaving. Are there any statistics that actually support a "black fathers abandon their families more" argument? Is it just sort of a "vibe" that people picked up from pop culture? My guess is that it's actually based on income level and there's not really any difference between ethnicity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grimdude posted:

I've always wondered about this last bit pertaining to dads leaving. Are there any statistics that actually support a "black fathers abandon their families more" argument? Is it just sort of a "vibe" that people picked up from pop culture? My guess is that it's actually based on income level and there's not really any difference between ethnicity.

Well if you count the disproportionate incarceration rate as "abandonment"...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grimdude posted:

Its the imprisonment rate OP

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, Daddy said the B word, so that must be reality. Never mind stories about the whole thing going back years. LALALA - DADDY TRUMP SAID SO! HE'S NEVER WRONG!

(Oh please notice me again, Daddy!)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

StealthArcher posted:

Its the imprisonment rate OP

Kinda like how there's more crime in black neighborhoods because the cops hang around them to arrest black people (when they aren't shooting them). Because crime levels are determined by police actions and police effectiveness is measured by # of arrests and lol what a dumb loving country

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Shugojin posted:

Kinda like how there's more crime in black neighborhoods because the cops hang around them to arrest black people (when they aren't shooting them). Because crime levels are determined by police actions and police effectiveness is measured by # of arrests and lol what a dumb loving country

I tried spelling this out to my friend and her response was "If the cops are increasing patrols in relation to increased crime statistics, that's not systemic racism, that's them responding to an increase in crime." :psyboom:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall fuckin' does it again with the take that I ostensibly agree with in large part, but presented in somehow such a wrong and insufferable manner that I have to do a deep rethink on my own opinions on the issue to make sure I still think I'm right.

Also! Sports aren't apolitical and do not attract apolitical people; their presentation in the US is tailor-made to bait reactionaries. Star Spangled Banner before every game, unending military and police appreciation nights, camo and American Flag hats and jerseys in the team store, veterans being trotted out to huge mandatory* applause during an intermission every single game, etc. These are presented as institutions of sport while the majority of every fanbase threatens boycotts and anger if, say, a pride night is introduced, because that is introducing "politics" into things.

There's good conversations to be had regarding how the millions of people in the US who use sports as a replacement for a personality are being exposed as the reactionary dipshits they really are thanks to the long cancellations of the leagues and the mandatory need for things conservatives consider LEFT WING like masks, quarantining, etc. being required to bring them back. There is not a good conversation to be had using that pretentious-rear end "opiate of the masses" line instead of actually making a point. BLM wasn't failing in years past because too many people were at Bengals games or some poo poo, fuckin' Christ.

*I went to a hockey game while nursing a really awful back injury one time, didn't stand up even for goal celebrations (our team won I think 7-1, that was a bad game to have a back injury lmao) and still got screamed at for several minutes by some shitbag conservative behind us for remaining seated during the segment where the army vet who served a month in Afghanistan or whatever was brought out.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 7, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump and his taxes – New York prosecutors investigating the US president’s finances previously issued a subpoena to Deutsche Bank – and the bank complied, according to the New York Times"

Telegraph:

Bank of England says economic shock of Covid-19 less severe than expected

Matt:

:sun: It's hot! counter: 5. :supaburn:

Independent:

Times:

Robert Jenrick says concerns over planning overhaul are 'nonsense'

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... building houses

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

wizzardstaff posted:

I tried spelling this out to my friend and her response was "If the cops are increasing patrols in relation to increased crime statistics, that's not systemic racism, that's them responding to an increase in crime." :psyboom:

That's not really someone worth being a friend to.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe 1:

Victorian premier Dan Andrews as Atlas, Scott Morrison behind the wall.

Rowe 2:

Leak, Son of Leak:

I honestly don't know which if any story Leak is commenting on here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... building houses

How big is that game board/how small are those kids???

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Trump is a puppet of Big Tech? I don't think that's a take I've seen before.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

oobey posted:

Weird and cool puppet string/medical line mashup going on, even if I think it just confuses things

Also that pinstripe suit sleeve feels like the one that all of the antisemitic toons use so I feel weird saying it's in any way cool

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

oobey posted:

I think this is about the tiktok thing?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

MADIGAN!! energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The new duck says so much and yet never gets to the point. I mean, in the last one he was like "I'm not racist and you can't prove I am" and this time he's quoting famous literature and that's it.