Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Tom McDonald back...

...to replace Gawn in the ruck against Goldstein lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Josh Caddy dumb as a house brick, lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love 100m penalties

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
that double 50 was the hightlight of my week, the dumb "what am i supposed to do?" shrug caddy was doing the whole time was hilarious

i dunno, maybe take literally one step to the side?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Windmill Hut posted:

Tom McDonald back...

...to replace Gawn in the ruck against Goldstein lol

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Why did we recruit Preuss again???

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Why oh why did I tip Richmond

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Surely Neale can't lose the Brownlow from here. The only games he might not have polled in are the losses, for most of the wins he would be 2 or 3 votes. Brisbane doesn't have many players that would steal votes either.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Matthew Cottrell (aged 2) and Eddie Betts. Cottrell (now aged 5, leap day baby) makes his debut today to play with his teammate Eddie Betts.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What’s with those ages

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I see we're still not loving pinging just dropping the ball in tackles or even throws anymore.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Diet Crack posted:

I see we're still not loving pinging just dropping the ball in tackles or even throws anymore.

The players are better off just dropping the loving thing as if they even think about holding onto it theyll be pinged for holding it.

The entire umpiring fraternity should be launched into the sun.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

realbez posted:

What’s with those ages
I think they mean he's at least eight in the photo and at least 20 now (leap year rules).

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDqHwbflGOC/?igshid=11v1hu2ujt7rr

Thanks for ruining the game

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Honestly if they are that worried about keeping the game free flowing then just revert back on all of the dumb rule/judgement changes and instead just reduce teams to 16 players.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Umps gift the eagles 3 goals in a row, nice.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There were gifts everywhere because the umpires loving blow rear end. Like I know we won, but I still saw way too much bullshit being payed for both teams.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I almost can't watch this dumb sport anymore, the umpiring standard is completing ruining the game.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Michael Christian is a loving cancer on this game:

Fails to mention that Riewoldt has multiple priors for striking, was intentional. The sanction doesn't even make sense, and by the metric they use this should still be 1 loving week even if careless. After Lynch getting off scot-free, this is just pathetic.
I just want to loving nuke the whole rules/umpiring/MRO department.

:nono:

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 9, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I think they mean he's at least eight in the photo and at least 20 now (leap year rules).

Oh duh, thanks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sidenote: Dom Sheed owns.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How is hitting someone in the balls not at least a week?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

How is hitting someone in the balls not at least a week?

Boys will be boys

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There was some interesting talk coming into FOOTYMANIA about how best to coach for the ladder. The main schools of thought being:

Select your best side available each week
Proactively rest small number of players each week
Proactively rest a significant number of players in a single week

And then if you’re looking at proactive resting do you rest up against a lower side and go in full strength against a stronger side, or do you play your best side against the lower side to ensure you bank the win, because even with your best side the harder game is still only around a 50/50

Be really keen to see some analysis of how each teams approached it and how it has served them when it’s all wrapped up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol Norf, Gawn isn't even playing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

lol Norf, Gawn isn't even playing

Jackson looks good for his age though.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Jackson looks good for his age though.

He has that Grundy-like mobility, actually even better I'd say. We drafted him saying he could play as a midfielder and at times it looks true.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Wow, I didn't follow the score or watch in the 4th quarter, how in the gently caress did North let Melbourne score 42-1?

That's pretty loving bad.

e: the amount of sheer salt on Twitter from Blues fans is palpable through my monitor - but they all seem to be ignoring that their own team was infact dropping the ball or throwing it as well lol. Referencing things that never happened also doesn't help their case.

I don't think anyone can argue that the umpiring hasn't been deplorable, but starting with that "West Coast Perth Bias paying off the umpires getting all the frees, crowd are the umpires" bollocks again is just laughable. Dave 'Prat' Hughes especially.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 9, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

Wow, I didn't follow the score or watch in the 4th quarter, how in the gently caress did North let Melbourne score 42-1?

North are bad, had a few injured so reduced bench with both teams coming off a short break. Melbourne also remembered how they tended to score in 2018, but so far can only do it against witches hats.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The weird thing is North have totally gone off the rails - yeah they have injuries being carried to the likes of Cunnington, but one man does not make a team. Ever since round 4 they have been exceptionally shithouse, and I think Shaw might be under a bit of pressure now for next year if they don't can him this season. I don't know why they would though, ejecting a coach trying to build something within the first year is suicidal.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Diet Crack posted:

e: the amount of sheer salt on Twitter from Blues fans is palpable through my monitor - but they all seem to be ignoring that their own team was infact dropping the ball or throwing it as well lol. Referencing things that never happened also doesn't help their case.

I don't think anyone can argue that the umpiring hasn't been deplorable, but starting with that "West Coast Perth Bias paying off the umpires getting all the frees, crowd are the umpires" bollocks again is just laughable. Dave 'Prat' Hughes especially.

The umpiring was atrocious in todays game, but you have to admit you got the good end of it. Was Carlton going to win? probably not with two players on the bench for half the game, but losing our 3 goal lead due to umpiring didn't help.

The two SPS htb calls were horrendous and everybody is talking about them, not just blues fans. And both sides had plenty of non-calls which should have gone their way, but there were some blatant ones.Carlton laid 17 tackles inside 50, not one was paid. WC had 5 i50 and 3 were free kicks, two resulting in goals. I know not all tackles are the same, but 17 with no result?

26 frees paid in total for both sides which put on a combined 133 tackles and around 250 contested possessions, only 26 frees paid.

There were even 3 umpires who weren't sure if the ball was out on the full or not today and it took 30 seconds to resolve. How blind are they?

https://twitter.com/rickm18/status/1292341535103578112

Even the former umpire boss has no clue whats going on

https://twitter.com/czar_peter/status/1292339950516502531

The inconsistency within games is what is rubbish. And you've got essendon and collingwood supporters saying we got stiffed.

Oh well. Lets see how we go against freo next week.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 9, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm definitely not going to argue that we got the good end on a few of them, and that the umpiring is bad.

What I will argue is that it's simply not true that it only happens in the West, which is what a lot of the comments are angling towards with "West Coast pays off the umpires" and poo poo like that. It's a competition wide problem, not just in Perth.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So can anyone explain to me how multiple AFL clubs (I'll go with Victorian) are not in breach of the OH&S Act for failing to take reasonably practicable steps to provide a safe workspace given the Mabior Chol footage?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Mate it says right in Richmond’s statement that Chol wasn’t offended by it. Stop being offended for him and move on! Absolute non issue! This is what’s wrong with footy and society today!

But it’s probably the same reason why outright punching a guy on the field and turning his jaw to dust isn’t really considered assault when if it happened on the street it would. Footy exists in this weird bubble

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Not defending all the groping for a second (it a full OH&S / HR issue), but not many workplaces have colleagues hug and high five after a good report, or shower and change with each other at the end of the day. The amount of physical contact from team mates that happens on the reg in the AFL, puts the groping as crossing the line, rather than in a “normal” workplace as flying an f-16 at Mach speed over the line and blowing it up on the way through.

AFL players and coaches in a team are almost cult like in their shared dedication to a single cause, where actual physical contact is required and demanded, extreme emotions of highs and lows, opportunity to be effectively immortal by being a premiership player. So when viewed from the outside actions such as the groping are grotesque, while from inside the cult, it’s just a little bit of banter taken too far.

Enough rambling from me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Diet Crack posted:

The weird thing is North have totally gone off the rails - yeah they have injuries being carried to the likes of Cunnington, but one man does not make a team. Ever since round 4 they have been exceptionally shithouse, and I think Shaw might be under a bit of pressure now for next year if they don't can him this season. I don't know why they would though, ejecting a coach trying to build something within the first year is suicidal.

North’s list is hosed, while trying to land their Big Fish they spent a lot of money on guys who are decent but not exactly deserving of a big salary - Aaron Hall, Polec, Pittard, Ahern etc - and there isn’t a lot left in the kitty to bring in anyone else if they were approached by someone who might make a difference.

I reckon they’ll bottom out in the next few years as Goldstein, Higgins and Cunnington etc start to decline/get injured more.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Saints are getting utterly schooled early. Ugh.

edit: Phillips!

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

monolithburger posted:

Saints are getting utterly schooled early. Ugh.

edit: Phillips!

First half of that quarter was just allowing Geelong to do what they liked, almost no pressure on them at all.

Started to change a lot when we actually put pressure on them.

I will say I think our forwards are a bit dysfunctional at the moment from an individual perspective. Arent really taking many marks inside 50. Overall its working due to enough good small forwards but we need that option of actually having set shots.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
You can blatantly push defenders in the back if you're Tom Hawkins, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

monolithburger posted:

You can blatantly push defenders in the back if you're Tom Hawkins, apparently.

I think this is the case for any high profile player tbh