Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....well for one, it has a sniper button that's *actually in a goddamn useful spot*, so, it can't be any worse than a g503.

Also the reason the Razer Basilisk is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I tried the Anker vertical mouse for a few weeks, could not get into it. Grip was so matte it was slippery, holding it was awkward for small hands, and worse of all buttons were way too stiff.

Contemplating just going for mx vertical but I don't like how it just has the basic buttons, not even side scrolling for that amount of money.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rexxed posted:

EVGA's doing a beta program for a new mouse. You can take a quick survey about your mouse preferences to have a chance at one of their beta mice if you're an EVGA elite member:
https://www.evga.com/articles/01428/evga-x17-promo/

I don't know if being a member requires owning any of their hardware; I think I signed up when I bought my GTX 1080 but I've also bought stuff from their B-stock store so that may be it, too.

I can't quite tell from the image there, but is it ambidextrous?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I've needed to replace my mouse for awhile, and since my gripe with my current mouse is that the scroll wheel axle is plastic and so sheared off, I'd like to get a gaming mouse with a metal scroll wheel axle. Recommendations?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
My G903 started to double/triple/etc-click when I held the click and Logitech's support has become a joke, so opted to perform mouse surgery to avoid spending ANOTHER $100 on a mouse

Trip Report: Not super hard to take apart and swap. The M1+2 buttons come on little boards themselves so you can either just order those or do some solder work and get the better Japanese switches

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I guess this is the mouse recommendation thread?

I think I'm on my 3rd Logitech G600 MMO gaming mouse and all of them have developed the same problem, over time they start double clicking when I single click. This same mouse that I like and am used to is only $40 on Amazon, so I'm tempted to just order another and deal with the problem again in 2-3 years.

Or should I consider a different mouse with hopefully better quality? I don't actually play MMO's anymore, but having thumb buttons is nice. I mostly like it for it's size, since I have kind of large hands. Any recommendations?

My only requirements are:

Something that fits larger hands well
Wired preferably or at least the ability to use it wired, already have too many things that need to be charged.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

katkillad2 posted:

I guess this is the mouse recommendation thread?

I think I'm on my 3rd Logitech G600 MMO gaming mouse and all of them have developed the same problem, over time they start double clicking when I single click. This same mouse that I like and am used to is only $40 on Amazon, so I'm tempted to just order another and deal with the problem again in 2-3 years.

Or should I consider a different mouse with hopefully better quality? I don't actually play MMO's anymore, but having thumb buttons is nice. I mostly like it for it's size, since I have kind of large hands. Any recommendations?

My only requirements are:

Something that fits larger hands well
Wired preferably or at least the ability to use it wired, already have too many things that need to be charged.

Hard to recommend anything with just a G600 to go on - it's a weird shape for people not doing MMO stuff. Are you a fingertip, claw or palm gripper? Do you have an ergo/ambi preference? What's the main type of game you play? Do you use it a lot for work that benefits from lots of buttons?

I can comment a bit on the problem you've had, though.

Double-clicking is an extremely common problem. My understanding is it's something to do with cheap Chinese Omron switches. It's more common on certain Logitech mice, since they compound the crappiness by using them outside spec. This is ironic because Logitech are known for very good build quality in general. It's common across brands, though. I had it happen on a Kone Pure Ultra; Kone are also known for really exceptional build quality.
You can replace them if you're comfortable with soldering, with some Kailh switches or Japanese Omrons - they cost gently caress all. It's not too hard, I hadn't soldered anything since year 10 science class 17 years ago and I managed okay. There are some recent mice that use optical switches and will practically never double click.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The switches are fine, Logitech just uses them wildly out of spec because "the same switch as the mx518" has marketing value that actually going through the trouble to spec and source a switch that works properly with the absurdly tiny currents of modern wireless mice would not.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....well for one, it has a sniper button that's *actually in a goddamn useful spot*, so, it can't be any worse than a g503.

Is that four buttons on the left plus a sniper button? Or is that just two weirdly shaped back and forward buttons plus the sniper button?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think it's two buttons with a sniper. They probably originally had larger, flatter buttons earlier in the design process, but decided they wanted narrower, raised buttons, and this gives them the ability to have that narrower, taller button without having to scrap the body mold and start over.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 19, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm amused by the headlights on that EVGA mouse, I wonder how well it'll light up your mousepad in the dark? :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Starting to look at replacing my years old Logitech Lightspeed wireless mouse and may jump back to wired. The Logitech G502 Hero is 41% off at Amazon today, but I’ve read reviews that mention the switches failing and causing double clicks— is this a widespread issue, or a vocal minority?

Also read a review on the Basilisk V2 that mentions the LMB and RMB are loose and shift around, anyone here have experience with those issues?

e: Well reading into it it seems like there’s a chance for any Logitech mouse to have lovely switches and I’ve enjoyed my G900 and G400 enough to roll the dice on them again. $46 is cheap enough to just pull the trigger.

At least it should be workable if I get a lemon with both Logitech and Amazon customer support.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 24, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Replaced a Logitech G602 with a G604 and man I want to love it, but Logitech needs to stop with these awful combo smooth/ratchet scroll wheels. I HATE how they feel. If it had one of the thick rubber wheels like on the Corsair mice it would be perfect.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Really? I love the things and they're one of the reasons I only get Logitech.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Starting to look at replacing my years old Logitech Lightspeed wireless mouse and may jump back to wired. The Logitech G502 Hero is 41% off at Amazon today, but I’ve read reviews that mention the switches failing and causing double clicks— is this a widespread issue, or a vocal minority?

Also read a review on the Basilisk V2 that mentions the LMB and RMB are loose and shift around, anyone here have experience with those issues?

e: Well reading into it it seems like there’s a chance for any Logitech mouse to have lovely switches and I’ve enjoyed my G900 and G400 enough to roll the dice on them again. $46 is cheap enough to just pull the trigger.

At least it should be workable if I get a lemon with both Logitech and Amazon customer support.

I am right now in the process of replacing a Logitech G502SE Hero. I had an older 502 mouse and it's perfect, i loved it. The size, the texture, the buttons, the everything. But the new 502 suffers from double-click, cursor jumping, inability to "drag&drop" properly anything (which may be related to the double click). It's a mess and I had enough of it after a few months. The problem is that I don't have the receipt for it anymore (I got it on sale, thankfully) so I'm trying to see if BestBuy can find it in their records and provide me with one.

Here's a video I recorded of how bad it is, it's something that Logitech support asked for: https://i.imgur.com/S5awFXe.mp4

It's this address: https://codepen.io/nfxpnk/pen/vERyxK

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 28, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Roman posted:

Replaced a Logitech G602 with a G604 and man I want to love it, but Logitech needs to stop with these awful combo smooth/ratchet scroll wheels. I HATE how they feel. If it had one of the thick rubber wheels like on the Corsair mice it would be perfect.

The last mouse I purchased was a Logitech exactly because of that wheel. Smooth scroll for web browsing and documents, hit the toggle for nice tactile clicks in games. What are you normally doing that neither of those modes feels right?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Volguus posted:

I am right now in the process of replacing a Logitech G502SE Hero. I had an older 502 mouse and it's perfect, i loved it. The size, the texture, the buttons, the everything. But the new 502 suffers from double-click, cursor jumping, inability to "drag&drop" properly anything (which may be related to the double click). It's a mess and I had enough of it after a few months. The problem is that I don't have the receipt for it anymore (I got it on sale, thankfully) so I'm trying to see if BestBuy can find it in their records and provide me with one.

Replying to myself: it seems that BestBuy doesn't have the receipt either (bought it last December, maybe they only keep them in their system for 6 months?), so odds are that Logitech support will not replace the drat mouse. I'm kinda pissed at them but I will need a new mouse soon and every other brand that I've tried over the years had bigger issues, so it may still have to be Logitech in the future as well. There was some guy on youtube expertly doing mouse reviews and recommendations that had a top of the best mice out there on his website. I hope I'll find it again when shopping for the next disappointment in mice.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Volguus posted:

Replying to myself: it seems that BestBuy doesn't have the receipt either (bought it last December, maybe they only keep them in their system for 6 months?), so odds are that Logitech support will not replace the drat mouse. I'm kinda pissed at them but I will need a new mouse soon and every other brand that I've tried over the years had bigger issues, so it may still have to be Logitech in the future as well. There was some guy on youtube expertly doing mouse reviews and recommendations that had a top of the best mice out there on his website. I hope I'll find it again when shopping for the next disappointment in mice.

You might be thinking of this guy? https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/

His recommendations are pretty FPS focused (which I like), but it's definitely one of the most comprehensive mouse discussions out there. FWIW I have a DM S1 Pro which has been bopping along for about four years now with zero issues -- if you don't need more than like 4-5 buttons and like the sensei shape DM or Nixeus are a really good deal.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

tildes posted:

You might be thinking of this guy? https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/

His recommendations are pretty FPS focused (which I like), but it's definitely one of the most comprehensive mouse discussions out there. FWIW I have a DM S1 Pro which has been bopping along for about four years now with zero issues -- if you don't need more than like 4-5 buttons and like the sensei shape DM or Nixeus are a really good deal.

Yes, that's definitely the guy. Yeah, he's FPS focused and I haven't played a FPS game in 25 years, but still, like you said, one of the most comprehensive reviews. And his current best mouse is $200 CAD, jesus on a stick. The thread title needs to be changed now, inflation and all. I'll look at DMS1 Pro, who knows maybe some store may even have it on display.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

isndl posted:

The last mouse I purchased was a Logitech exactly because of that wheel. Smooth scroll for web browsing and documents, hit the toggle for nice tactile clicks in games. What are you normally doing that neither of those modes feels right?
I've used a couple different models with those wheels and they always feel loose to me, as if they're broken. And the ones I used definitely weren't. I just don't like their feel, especially on gaming mice.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

Yes, that's definitely the guy. Yeah, he's FPS focused and I haven't played a FPS game in 25 years, but still, like you said, one of the most comprehensive reviews. And his current best mouse is $200 CAD, jesus on a stick. The thread title needs to be changed now, inflation and all. I'll look at DMS1 Pro, who knows maybe some store may even have it on display.

If you're talking about the Finalmouse Ultralight 2 - not only is it expensive, it's hard to get, because they're not made anymore. You can get something similar for far less. Be aware Zai has a strong preference for ambidextrous mice; if you like ergos, his rankings won't be so accurate. Also I ran into him in Quake a couple of months ago and beat him at instagib. This has minimal relevance, but makes me feel a sense of warm smugness.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 31, 2020

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
The last truly perfect mouse Logitech put out was the G700s.

I still have mine, but the laser technology has improved a lot and it doesn't track nearly as well as modern mice, but the shape and feel for a guy with large hands was just perfect.

I would easily drop $200 for a mouse that used that shape but modern internals.

meta˛
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Am I the only one who still wishes we could get a Logitech Wingman sequel with modern technology?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've currently got a steelseries sensei (the original one) and I've had enough of the squeaky mouse wheel. If I'm looking for something similar (ambidextrous, a couple thumb buttons, maybe a little flatter) should I just go with the razer viper or are there other/better options? I don't think the DPI button being on the bottom would bother me, and otherwise it looks pretty similar apart from being lighter.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My 6 month old Roccat Kone Pure Ultra has started to act up, it sometimes disconnects for a second and instantly reconnects (with the "usb connected" Windows sound and everything). I've tried a different usb port and it's still happening, but it's weird how it's completely random and bending the cable like crazy doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Has anyone had any experience with Roccat's warranty? I think it's covered for 2 years. I'm gonna try it on a different PC and see if it still happens. I guess replacing the cable probably isn't too hard if it comes to that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Elman posted:

My 6 month old Roccat Kone Pure Ultra has started to act up, it sometimes disconnects for a second and instantly reconnects (with the "usb connected" Windows sound and everything). I've tried a different usb port and it's still happening, but it's weird how it's completely random and bending the cable like crazy doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Has anyone had any experience with Roccat's warranty? I think it's covered for 2 years. I'm gonna try it on a different PC and see if it still happens. I guess replacing the cable probably isn't too hard if it comes to that.

Sounds like Logitech disconnect-reconnectitis. When it happened in Logitech mice, the break was in the cable, yes, but inside the body of the mouse, on the wire side of the connector to the PCB.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've currently got a steelseries sensei (the original one) and I've had enough of the squeaky mouse wheel. If I'm looking for something similar (ambidextrous, a couple thumb buttons, maybe a little flatter) should I just go with the razer viper or are there other/better options? I don't think the DPI button being on the bottom would bother me, and otherwise it looks pretty similar apart from being lighter.

I'm quite happy with my viper ultimate. Really like the low height, actually wish it could be even lower.

I'm firmly in the camp that Razer build quality is absolute poo poo, but so far I've not had any significant issues. The molding for the left mouse button is a bit imperfect, it doesn't click as nicely as I'd like in my relaxed non-gaming grip, but during actual gaming use it's been perfect. Optical switches were a big thing that pushed me in the direction of this mouse, with everyone having the same issues using the same switches the wrong way, optical should provide a much higher level of reliability that even Razer can't manage to screw up.

If you do go with the ultimate, IMO save the money and skip the overpriced dock. The mouse lasts plenty long on a charge and it's easy enough to swap the cable from the wireless receiver to the mouse.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got the Viper a few months back when Razer was bundling it with the Huntsman TKL keyboard in May or June. I replaced a Naga, I love how lightweight the Viper is (it's like 62g or something like that). It doesn't have much flash to it (the Razer logo is the only RGB part of the mouse) but yeah I think it's pretty drat good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How do y’all like the thumb side buttons on the Viper model? I see they’re kinda flush with the body, seem like they might be hard to hit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I like them, but I could see possibly it being a problem for people with unusual grips. The right side buttons work well for my desktop grip, but are even more likely to be difficult to use for some people.

There's a lot of multi-curve detail to the shape of the Viper doesn't really show up well in photos.The front half of the base is more tucked in more than you might think, and while the side buttons are sheltered from beneath, they actually are sticking out as you roll your thumb up onto them. The shape does a pretty decent job of sticking to your hand, so the fundamental problems with side buttons are less bad than some mice, but I'd still prefer top buttons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess this is the mouse thread? :v:

I'm looking at getting an ergonomic mouse that won't have me using my wrist all the time. I've had wrist pain here and there, enough to need a brace for it. So I'd like to get something, maybe a sideways ergonomic one where I just move my arm?

I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/

But apparently it likes to stop working within a week to a few months of using it.

The Logitech one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNJB8TT/

This seems okay but it's also almost $100 and I don't really have that kind of cash at the moment, the most I could do is maybe $40?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A lot of people like those mice and I'm not saying don't get one or it won't help, but the source of the problem is probably your DPI. It's probably way the gently caress too high. Lower it way down and your wrist won't be able to do poo poo, so you'll HAVE to move your arm around to move your mouse. Really high DPI tends to result in you pinning your wrist hard to your desk trying to get the precision you need to make tiny adjustments, it's very bad for you.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess this is the mouse thread? :v:

I'm looking at getting an ergonomic mouse that won't have me using my wrist all the time. I've had wrist pain here and there, enough to need a brace for it. So I'd like to get something, maybe a sideways ergonomic one where I just move my arm?

I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/

But apparently it likes to stop working within a week to a few months of using it.

The Logitech one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNJB8TT/

This seems okay but it's also almost $100 and I don't really have that kind of cash at the moment, the most I could do is maybe $40?

I was actually looking into the same set of mice a few pages back. I got to try them both and ended up going with the MX Vertical. I can go into detail about my experience, but the very brief summary is such: The MX Vertical has way nicer buttons, has a better weight distribution, is very comfortable, and feels very premium in both material and build quality vs the Anker. The Anker is functional and I besides the button click being substantially more temperamental, it's a fine mouse against the MX Vertical. If you can afford the MX Vertical and you would use your mouse a lot, I insist that it's worth it, although I don't think you are making too many concessions with the Anker.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I had both and to me the mx vertical felt way more comfortable and buttons easier to click.

I recently got a master 3 and blown away by the scroll wheel. It feels so nice compared to mechanical ones. If they would update the vertical to have all the features of the master 3 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I was actually looking into the same set of mice a few pages back. I got to try them both and ended up going with the MX Vertical. I can go into detail about my experience, but the very brief summary is such: The MX Vertical has way nicer buttons, has a better weight distribution, is very comfortable, and feels very premium in both material and build quality vs the Anker. The Anker is functional and I besides the button click being substantially more temperamental, it's a fine mouse against the MX Vertical. If you can afford the MX Vertical and you would use your mouse a lot, I insist that it's worth it, although I don't think you are making too many concessions with the Anker.

teraflame posted:

I had both and to me the mx vertical felt way more comfortable and buttons easier to click.

I recently got a master 3 and blown away by the scroll wheel. It feels so nice compared to mechanical ones. If they would update the vertical to have all the features of the master 3 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I do use the mouse a lot, yeah. I tend to game some as well and, I guess if I had to swap between a normal mouse and ergonomic when I'm done, that may be ok. Though, the game I usually play that would be keyboard/mouse is GTA V so I don't know how that'd work. The rest I just use an Xbox 360 controller.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I got a trackball since I needed a mousing tool that didn't require any space and it turns out it's comfy as gently caress. As long as you don't need super precision inputs all the time, and it's good enough for some light spreadsheeting, I'd definitely say to keep them on your ergo mouse radar. Logitech makes one that tilts, but you can also just put one on its side since they work in any position.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

K8.0 posted:

A lot of people like those mice and I'm not saying don't get one or it won't help, but the source of the problem is probably your DPI. It's probably way the gently caress too high. Lower it way down and your wrist won't be able to do poo poo, so you'll HAVE to move your arm around to move your mouse. Really high DPI tends to result in you pinning your wrist hard to your desk trying to get the precision you need to make tiny adjustments, it's very bad for you.

I lowered the DPI on the M720 I'm using and it did force me to use my arm more but I might still look into a more ergonomic mouse just in cause + lower DPI (when I'm not gaming, that is.). Thanks!

Some Goon posted:

I got a trackball since I needed a mousing tool that didn't require any space and it turns out it's comfy as gently caress. As long as you don't need super precision inputs all the time, and it's good enough for some light spreadsheeting, I'd definitely say to keep them on your ergo mouse radar. Logitech makes one that tilts, but you can also just put one on its side since they work in any position.

I'm going to head to a couple stores next week to see if I like how they feel. One is selling the MX Vertical for $90.

I had some suggestions for the MX Master 3 since it's the same price and has better features.

Is that even close to ergonomic? It looks like it but I dunno.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You might want to consider an Anker vertical Mouse . They are typically a lot cheaper and mine lasted almost a full year before breaking. That will help you decide if you like vertical or not.

Or just buy the Logitech one, that one does look really nice.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

quote:

They are typically a lot cheaper and mine lasted almost a full year before breaking

Is that acceptable? I mean, I'd be pretty upset if a mouse lasted a year. Hell, the list of my primary mice over the last 15 years contains two items: G5, G502. My Keyboard is from 2013. The feet on my G502 are peeling off right now after 5 years of use and I'm kinda annoyed that I have to replace them and Logitech doesn't sell their feat.

Iunno, to each their own, but if any of my PC peripherals last less than 5 years, I'm kinda pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is that acceptable? I mean, I'd be pretty upset if a mouse lasted a year. Hell, the list of my primary mice over the last 15 years contains two items: G5, G502. My Keyboard is from 2013. The feet on my G502 are peeling off right now after 5 years of use and I'm kinda annoyed that I have to replace them and Logitech doesn't sell their feat.

Iunno, to each their own, but if any of my PC peripherals last less than 5 years, I'm kinda pissed.

Yeah this is actually why I'm not looking into the Anker anymore. It's just $24 at the moment but that's $24 wasted if I don't like it or if I do and it eventually breaks in less than a year to a year.

Apparently, the Anker has issues for a lot of people on Amazon (and Logitech isn't without their own...I've had multiple mice from them that double click) but...yeah.