Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Never heard of a sphere, but they should have found a really nice space ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Grounder language going from "a natural-seeming devolution of language following a nuclear holocaust" to "lol you're speaking the language my 10 year old daughter made up" is midichlorians level dumb.

Otherwise I am enjoying this season as always.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shrimpy posted:

Grounder language going from "a natural-seeming devolution of language following a nuclear holocaust" to "lol you're speaking the language my 10 year old daughter made up" is midichlorians level dumb.

Otherwise I am enjoying this season as always.

I buy it as a good retcon because I remember in S1 thinking 100 years was way to short a time for language to change that much, and it was dumb and if they wanted to have a massive language shift they should have expanded the timeline to like 500 years or something.

Even assuming lifespans were shortened by radiation and hard living, a kid born 20 years after 2052 who lived to be 40 would have been raised by an English speaking Prewar survivor and would have been known by an older Grounder like Indra. Not enough time for a massive language degeneration.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For some reason, I had it in my head that they started talking like that to keep secrets from Mt Weather.

Also, I wonder if the initial meeting with Mt Weather is going to show up in the spin-off.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Astroman posted:

I buy it as a good retcon because I remember in S1 thinking 100 years was way to short a time for language to change that much, and it was dumb and if they wanted to have a massive language shift they should have expanded the timeline to like 500 years or something.

Even assuming lifespans were shortened by radiation and hard living, a kid born 20 years after 2052 who lived to be 40 would have been raised by an English speaking Prewar survivor and would have been known by an older Grounder like Indra. Not enough time for a massive language degeneration.

Interestingly, in reading more about it, the creator of the language has some thoughts which I guess do align with the "a seemingly random person pushed a language through a group":

https://dedalvs.tumblr.com/post/104195916604/im-confused-about-the-grounder-language-in-the

quote:

The last piece of the puzzle is a bit of fiction we concocted. Given that we’re in a small geographical area, there are features that are present in the modern language that are a direct result of conscious change on the part of early speakers. In the chaos that prevailed in the early days, there were direct innovations created so that survivors could determine if someone new they came across was one of them or wasn’t. Those that organized early developed vocabulary that would allow them to easily identify other group members—in addition to being able to communicate with group members without giving away what they were talking about. It was basically a code. Many of these old code words eventually became the new words for what they referred to—defeating the original purpose of the code, of course, but by then it no longer mattered. The fittest had survived.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Echo said 'we're being watched all the time' right before starting on the path to (seemingly) accepting the Disciples' indoctrination, so it seems likely she realized there was no other way out and they had to go along with the whole thing. What I'm not sure about is whether the rest of them are in on it as well, especially Hope.

That was a really dumb mistake by Indra though, to leave Sheidheda with all those people. Nothing like her too, if she wanted to kill him she should have pulled the trigger herself.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When she shut the door I knew he would either kill them all or convert them

She spent so much effort dictating nobody could speak to him then left him alone with 50 or 60 people who had already revolted against her?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Don't forget the new episode this week! It's a good one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"We're gonna kill them. All of them :v:"

Jordan owns. Continuing to believe in non violence. Monty raised him well. So it seems like that the final code or whatever is a test for the best of your species. Succeed and you go to paradise or whatever, fail and something comes to wipe you out. :rip: Bardoans

MORTAL SINGLE KOMBAT! Russell's actor is hamming it up as Sheidheda and I am here for it.

isaboo posted:

Don't forget the new episode this week! It's a good one.

The ending was great

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pure speculation and really I hope I am wrong: Clarke or whoever goes to take the Final Test, representing the best of humanity. But then it turns out Bellamy did because he didn't die but was blown into that dimension or whatever. That would be extremely hosed up considering the accusations against him.

Basically I am just waiting for the actual reveal of what happened to Bellamy but maybe it will be that he's dead. That would be great. No fanfare or send off, just dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His whole thing was just chock full of fake out tags. Like not actually seeing him die and especially there being no body.

Also maybe it was just me but the big fight scene between Indra and Malachi/Sheidheda seemed really weird, like it got filmed by a completely different crew than normal.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want Russheda to get the flame back and take the last test. Because obviously the answer to any question is murder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had a big laugh at the fitness tracking meters on the watch that Echo was using to count down when she was going to kill everyone.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

did anyone watch the preview for next week? spoilers: way to spoil bellamy being alive :rolleyes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

did anyone watch the preview for next week? spoilers: way to spoil bellamy being alive :rolleyes:

Given the fanbase, I'm surprised they didn't scream this from the rooftops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JR Bourne is crushing this but he looked so much more evil and menacing with that beard.

Edit: John Murphy is the only one who can complete the test.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 8, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene where he was talking to Madi completely covered in blood made him look very sinister. He has a very evil grin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

That scene where he was talking to Madi completely covered in blood made him look very sinister. He has a very evil grin.

Oh yeah, that should be his default look. Like he just slashes someone open and bathes in ther blood before every conversation.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

MORTAL SINGLE KOMBAT! Russell's actor is hamming it up as Sheidheda and I am here for it.

:hellyeah:

My speculation is that it will turn out whatever killed the Bardoians is Clarke and other humans who go back in time. The Last War Cadogan has been preparing for is against humanity via time displacement.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Astroman posted:

:hellyeah:

My speculation is that it will turn out whatever killed the Bardoians is Clarke and other humans who go back in time. The Last War Cadogan has been preparing for is against humanity via time displacement.

ALIE triggered the nuclear war to try and stop time-displaced Clarke, obviously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was kind of weird that Jonathan Scarfe showed up for a single scene when Bellamy "died."

He's not listed for additional episodes, kind of a waste of a fun actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It was kind of weird that Jonathan Scarfe showed up for a single scene when Bellamy "died."

He's not listed for additional episodes, kind of a waste of a fun actor.

The season's doing a lot with different perspectives, telling stories out of chronological order.

He'll be back for the big Bellamy flashback episode, is my guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope so but he's not listed as appearing in any more. I assume the 100 and Van Helsing shoot on the same lots what with all the cast crossovers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I hope so but he's not listed as appearing in any more. I assume the 100 and Van Helsing shoot on the same lots what with all the cast crossovers.

IMDB is updated by fans, agents and Jim Beaver. It's rarely useful about anything that's not out yet, and it's sometimes wrong about things that have come out. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: nvm

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 11, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

itt Bellamy has a vision quest, joins a cult and betrays his friends.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

itt Bellamy has a vision quest, joins a cult and betrays his friends.

But enough about Bob Morley, what happened on tonight's episode? I was busy watching SHIELD.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Call me Bill, Bellamy.

Bill Bellamy.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Had a big laugh at the fitness tracking meters on the watch that Echo was using to count down when she was going to kill everyone.

I also noticed a fairly obvious IKEA Vago chair in the background during the big fight scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martian posted:

I also noticed a fairly obvious IKEA Vago chair in the background during the big fight scene.

I pointed out some IKEA cabinetry at Sanctum last season.

Axel is clearly wearing Stephen Amell's Arrow wig.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I pointed out some IKEA cabinetry at Sanctum last season.

I can't find the post, would you mind linking it? I enjoy seeing stuff like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bellamy's mom's ghost sure is determined because its been a WHILE since she was alive.

Something that struck me this episode is how the final season has had very little of Bellamy or Clarke.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Someone at the CW needs to be fired. This is the THIRD time this season they aired an episode of a completely different show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oh jay posted:

Someone at the CW needs to be fired. This is the THIRD time this season they aired an episode of a completely different show.

I do think that the Bellamy stuff would have worked better spread out over some episodes. Put in on during the same episodes that they were doing the brainwashing for Echo and pals.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I don't know how I would have done it better, but the pacing is pretty whack, especially because no one in the world thought he was dead.

I do really like that he turned though. A really good contrast against the other guys lying about turning.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I seemed to have missed something. Why do the cult people care about the flame? Outside of the guys daughter being there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

joebuddah posted:

I seemed to have missed something. Why do the cult people care about the flame? Outside of the guys daughter being there.

Because Becca solved the final puzzle of the sphere and either the Flame will let them do it or they can just mine Becca's memories from it to find out how she did it.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From the wiki:

quote:

Becca landed not far from the Second Dawn Bunker in the rubble of a city which would later become Polis. She was met by several cult members wearing hazmat suits. Becca subsequently used A.L.I.E. 2.0, which she renamed the Flame, to activate the Temporal Anomaly to Bardo for Bill Cadogan, but discovered "the final code" which led to what Becca called Judgment Day, the true end of the human race. Unwilling to give up the code, Becca was burned at the stake by the cult on the orders of Cadogan to get the Flame, but she revealed the Flame's power to Callie Cadogan. Having gathered a following of her own and taken Becca's Nightblood, Callie retrieved the Flame and led her people back into the world to continue Becca's work to save the human race.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: Children of Gabriel. They really didn't do much over their 2 seasons huh.

Skullthrone is pretty :krad:. I love that Russellheda immediately called their bluff about blowing the reactor.

I was just about to complain that they needed to merge the plotlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did anyone in Sheidheda's crew even know that's what the Space Ball was for? Everyone who had a clue was dead or in hiding, right?